Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Canalina » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 17:09

Fun fact: in the real Corinth, midway between Athens and Sparta, there's no a rugby club.
According to wikipedia there are five clubs in Athens, two in Salonicco/Thessaloniki, two in Rhodes Island and one in Patras.
Zero in Corinth, zero in Sparta

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 18:06

:lol:

Brazilian Corinthians full name is Sport Club Corinthians Paulista, which means the "Corinthians" from São Paulo. It was named after the famous amateur English club Corinthians FC (current Corinthians Casuals) visit Brazil in 1910.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 18:29

And all suggests that the Barbarian RFC was created on the model of the Corinthian FC

See the logo, but also the nature of the teams (both invitational) and their colors

"Corinthian Spirit, still understood as the highest standard of sportsmanship, is often associated with the side. This spirit was famously summed up in their attitude to penalties; "As far as they were concerned, a gentleman would never commit a deliberate foul on an opponent. So, if a penalty was awarded against the Corinthians, their goalkeeper would stand aside, lean languidly on the goalpost and watch the ball being kicked into his own net" " :)

Corinthian inspired (probably) the creation of the Barbarians, the Barbarians inspired the ancient italian select "Zebre", the ancient Zebre inspired the current franchise Zebre. So there's a sort of far relationship between Pro14's Zebre and SLAR's Corinthians...

The only thing I haven't understood is why that original english club called themselves "Cortinhian". Maybe the ancient corinthians were famous because of their nobleness and sportmanship, I don't know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_F.C.

Image Image

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 19:07

"The fame of Corinth in the seventh century was only second in Olympia, the seat of the administration and development of the "Olympic" games. Corinth was in fact the seat of the isthmic games, established in 581 BC. in honor of Poseidon (corresponding to the Roman god Neptune) and of the god Palemone at the Isthmus of Corinth, they included gymnastic, wrestling and horse races.
They were the most solemn games after those of Olympia by number of competitors and by influx of people. Furthermore, the particular geographical position of the venue of the competitions, in the city of Corinth, contributed to giving the Isthmian Games a more socially open character, particularly festive and sometimes even chaotic.
That city, famous for isthmic games, will give Paul valid arguments to encourage Corinthian Christians with illustrations that made reference precisely to the spirit of competitions with training, racing, and the iron will to achieve the coveted prizes (9,24- 27)"

So Corinth was famous for its spirit of sportsmanship, and that spirit was exalted by Paul the Apostle; id est Sao Paulo, the saint of the city of the football club Corinthians !
Everything fits! :!: :)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 19:30

The club should now more about this because Corinthians mascot is a French Musketeer and their official patron is St. George! :lol: It is pretty strong among their supporters the St. George image. They also use the Hawk as a symbol. If Olimpia is the Lions, they could be the Hawks.

Meanwhile, São Paulo FC's mascot is... Saint Paul. A muscular version of him :lol:

And talking about Greek-Roman roots, the other big club, Palmeiras, was born in 1914 as Società Sportiva Palestra Italia. Palestra meaning the Greek-Roman physical activities facility. The club was forced to change the name in 1943 when Brazil entered WWII in the side of the Allies, declaring war on Italy. "Palmeiras" means "Palm Trees" but the reason is to pay a tribute to one of the oldest and then extinct sports clubs of the city - that, BTW, had rugby in the 1920s before shutting down. Palmeiras has two mascots: the Pig :lol: and the Parakeet. No saints.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 13 Jan 2020, 22:45

I’ve noticed that Olimpia gets a ton of likes and retweets on all of their tweets. I know this isn’t indicative of support because it’s much easier to click a button than it is to show up to a game. However, they’re consistently getting 500+ likes and 100+ retweets which is pretty incredible for a rugby team in Paraguay. I’d say that they’ll get a lot of active Olimpia supporters showing up to their games.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 01:14

Apparently, Flash is not the official kit provider of the league. Ceibos started their pre-season wearing Canterbury and Peñarol has been training with generic apparel. We might see new kits before the start of the season

Postby TuMachNach » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 03:52

carbonero wrote:Apparently, Flash is not the official kit provider of the league. Ceibos started their pre-season wearing Canterbury and Peñarol has been training with generic apparel. We might see new kits before the start of the season

Maybe, they offered more money than Flash and Peñarol is under a same situation which hasn't been solved yet (so they are training with generic kit).

According to this website news, the fixture of SLAR will be released on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

https://www.elciudadanoweb.com/ceibos-a ... uper-liga/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 13:39

SLAR has hit 10,000 followers on Instagram. For reference, MLR has 36,000 and has 2 full seasons. Say what you want about the organization behind the league but they have a good social media following.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 13:57

and olimpia have already more followers on twitter than half of the MLR teams ;)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 14:07

Tobar wrote:SLAR has hit 10,000 followers on Instagram. For reference, MLR has 36,000 and has 2 full seasons. Say what you want about the organization behind the league but they have a good social media following.

Well, UAR has 250k, Los Pumas 150k, Los Pumas 7s 80k, there's an influence of Argentine rugby too probably...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 16:12

UAR hasn’t tweeted a ton of stuff in support but still you’re right. This is a very basic way of looking at the engagement without any info on who they are or where they’re from.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 21:21

Or they've done payola and have a lot of bots.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 21:48

We are all skeptical about the league but do we need that snark in every post? You are turning into an obnoxious troll. What's in it for you? I can't understand where all this hate is coming from.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 14 Jan 2020, 23:56

I am not discarding the possibility of Corinthians deal being cancelled and Brazil fields a team with a generic name like Chile. There's that "Cobras" brand study in the drawer to use. I must say I believe this would be much better for the league's image inside Brazilian rugby comunity. It would be a better start. But now, with different (more sensible) people in charge of the operation (although with the same people in the Council), maybe 2020 will be the year CBRu closes ties with the comunity and that's why I don't think Corinthians is the best bet.

I am skeptical and critic about many things related to SLAR, but only because I think they needed one more year of good planning to launch it. At least in Brazil and maybe in Chile (as I am realy impressed about Olímpia). The problem is the way, not the league itself. It is crucial for South America to have a professional level, although I always question how much the market outside Argentina is mature enough for that.

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 01:37

Another chapter in the URT vs SLAR:

https://www.eltucumano.com/amp/noticia/ ... nsferencia

URT is claiming that nor Olimpia neither Selknam have request the transfers of URT players. After reading what they said, it looks like they care more about making money with players but they are trying to cover their intentions behind the formative rights.

I would like to see URT trying to enforce their international transfer fee to the franchises or another non Argentine club. That would be something interesting to follow.

Postby Raven » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 09:47

I agree with you victorsa. Maybe the Corinthians approach in Brazil was a bit too rushed in or they´ve been pushed into doing something they weren´t / aren´t convinced about. They did however had a lot of time to get things in order, but I guess that the change of command also attempted against it, they had a CEO aligned with AP (ARG) and PP (URU) and now they may see things a bit more cautiously.

The football club involvement is also not something I´m extremely convinced of, but it´s only a personal opinion and I do get why they did it. Peñarol kicking off is the best patch the URU could come up with at first, given that Nacional wasn´t quite there and hopefully that 2nd Uruguayan franchise will be a reality next season. Olimpia on the other hand has a president who played rugby and are bringing a bit of their football ways -a few big / marquee signings- into an unexplored terrain in Paraguay alognside the URP so them doing well can only help this League take flight.

If Brazil kicks off with the Cobras instead (awkward considering Corinthians was announced on the "Official League announcement", and are mentioned theoughout social media and it´s only a month before kick off) it may give time to Corinthians or any other football club to see what has to be done in terms of investment, and will have enouugh time to sign players in, specially considering how fast everybody else managed to get bodies to bulk teams out of nowhere!

Tucuman and player fees / complaints and so on is another matter. From my perspective, they are gutted the franchise isn´t over there, their provincial side is losing sponsorship given the lack of a Torneo Argentino and they cannot run a Union with no money. If the Torneo Argentino was to be revived in a franchise format, with no support from the UAR whatsoever, I think they could potentially find a way out to their "problems". They should find a way to negociate their way in the tournament with an investor that aids them finantially, and negotiate directly with SLAR instead of expecting monetary back up from the UAR. It´s just an idea and obviously I am not gullable enough to think this can be done in a blink of an eye.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 13:00

The word is not "convinced". It is "able". And the former CEO is definitly the main reason why we are in this mess. Not the new one.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 14:38

News from Chile:

Selknam begins their preseason training camp today with a partial roster at hand. They have officially inked twelve players to the franchise with five of them being from Argentina one from Fiji and one from Tonga. There are also five national players who have signed a contract with Chile Rugby and that number is expected to reach twentyfive by the end of this week.

All in all Selknam will have a 32 man roster: 25 Condores, 5 Argentinians along with 1 Fijian and 1 Tongan, this last one having played in the last RWC in Japan. Both Pacific Islanders will be arriving January 19th.

Source https://www.rugbychile.cl/2020/01/15/se ... u-plantel/

Postby TuMachNach » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 05:12

https://www.eltucumano.com/amp/noticia/ ... -americana

According to this news, SAR would enforce the Argentinean cap for non Argentine franchises in SLAR after URT complain about Art. 19 inc. C of SLAR regulation which establishes a maximum of 4 Argentines per non Argentine franchise and only contract for one player per argentinean club. SAR asked for exception to UAR but these exceptions must be approved by SAR/SLAR and representatives of Argentinean Unions, and till now Argentinean Unions haven't approved those exceptions. If this situation continues, some Argentines of Olimpia Lions and other franchises should return to their respective origin Unions.

BTW I don't like that some Tucumán media is stating that UAR is not approving these exceptions but it's clear on SAR words that Argentinean Unions (with SLAR/SAR representatives) must approve them, URT included. So, if those players lose their professional contracts is not a fault of UAR but Argentinean Unions that don't approve them.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 05:34

TuMachNach wrote:https://www.eltucumano.com/amp/noticia/deportes/260896/la-uar-escucho-los-reclamos-peligra-la-super-liga-americana

According to this news, SAR would enforce the Argentinean cap for non Argentine franchises in SLAR after URT complain about Art. 19 inc. C of SLAR regulation which establishes a maximum of 4 Argentines per non Argentine franchise and only contract for one player per argentinean club. SAR asked for exception to UAR but these exceptions must be approved by SAR/SLAR and representatives of Argentinean Unions, and till now Argentinean Unions haven't approved those exceptions. If this situation continues, some Argentines of Olimpia Lions and other franchises should return to their respective origin Unions.

BTW I don't like that some Tucumán media is stating that UAR is not approving these exceptions but it's clear on SAR words that Argentinean Unions (with SLAR/SAR representatives) must approve them, URT included. So, if those players lose their professional contracts is not a fault of UAR but Argentinean Unions that don't approve them.

That's a really dumb regulation to have, just put a cap on foreign players.

Postby TuMachNach » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 15:23

TheStroBro wrote:
TuMachNach wrote:https://www.eltucumano.com/amp/noticia/deportes/260896/la-uar-escucho-los-reclamos-peligra-la-super-liga-americana

That's a really dumb regulation to have, just put a cap on foreign players.

In this interview, Sebastián Piñeyrúa said that every franchise must have 50% of national players.
That's a cap of 50% of foreign players.

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/li ... 1982919157

There can be exceptions for that rule, mainly in those franchises without enough national players under the required level. Olimpia Lions could be considered under the regulation exception. Argentineans in non-argentine franchises are under this regulation but they have a special paragraph explaining what I wrote before.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 15:33

This rules are so retroactive is not funny, and subject to a wide interpretation. For a second I wonder if I was back in the 90's. Several sports have attempted o limit "foreign " influence with little success.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 15:58

Thomas wrote:This rules are so retroactive is not funny, and subject to a wide interpretation. For a second I wonder if I was back in the 90's. Several sports have attempted o limit "foreign " influence with little success.

I fear the one sport where this had "success" is rugby. How many REC players do play in the Premiership? Even one? Shame the SLAR seems to copy this.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 17:32

There isn’t any formal restriction against foreign players.

To mitigate the worries of Argentine clubs, SLAR agreed to sign only four players per franchise directly from our amateur scene (excluding Ceibos). They also promised to sign only one player per club. I know it is ridiculous but is part of the Tournament Agreement. Olimpia didn’t respect that contract and now is seeking exceptions from the UAR. Apparently, the UAR turned them down. Who knows what happens next.

In other news:
- Ceibos confirmed two friendlies: February 21 against Pumitas and February 28 against Cordoba Athletic / Palermo Bajo.
- Canterbury is now the official kit provider for Ceibos.
- Fullback Ignacio Albornoz is one of the Argentines in Selknam

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum