Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canadian rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby iul » Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 07:04

ruckovercdn wrote:Compared the the thrilling matches we were treated to this weekend? What sports fan wouldn't want to watch the last ten minutes of Wales France, especially after the 80 minute single try affair? Now I'm a union guy through and through, but the reality is that League is much much easier to appreciate and they've tweaked the game to deliver what people want to see, which is open play.

How are Americand and Canadian football so big if people crave for something to be constantly moving around on the pitch?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 12:29

Because their sensationalized sport, and every time they touch the ball it's set up as a big open field play.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 13:51

I've been watching more League (due to the Wolfpack) and while I overall enjoy it, their "scrums" always take me out of the game. They just look so dumb.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 14:30

I've been trying to watch it... I still find it a bit too scripted. I really like teams being able to mount pressure with multiple phases, looking for that opening, and the huge extended defensive stands that can happen (see Scotland vs Italy). If they got rid of the tackle limit league would be better.

As a forward I also really like watching scrums, lineouts, and breakdown work. Yes, the open running nice, but it's better when it's earned off of good forward work, instead of being the only thing.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 05:27

grande wrote:I've been watching more League (due to the Wolfpack) and while I overall enjoy it, their "scrums" always take me out of the game. They just look so dumb.

There seem to be plenty in league who want scrums gone. I heard one commentator snap and basically call them pointless, saying they should just re-start with a tap kick (must have been in the 9s series, which has no scrums, just a tap kick after a knock-on).

I also find the blind hit-ups in the early phases boring. I don't understand why they don't toss the ball around a bit and run those clever lines on all phases? North Queensland play a bit more open and unpredictable, but it sounds (from friends in Australia who know the game) like three big crashes early on and sticking to a hard rule of right and left sided players is the done thing.

I hear there's going to be a Canadian women's team at the RL world cup this fall!?!?!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 08:04

Rugby League has more or less become nothing but one out running from the play the ball, ever since the advent of the 10m offside line the game has gradually moved away from creative backline plays due to the shear amount of space available, it's easy to travel 40-50 metres in 5 tackles just by running out from the play the ball. I've said this before but Rugby League has the illusion of something interesting happening because there's constant movement, but more often than not it's the same thing every set of 6 tackles - run the ball out for 3 or 4 tackles, kick a bomb on the 5th.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 08:37

thatrugbyguy wrote:Rugby League has more or less become nothing but one out running from the play the ball, ever since the advent of the 10m offside line the game has gradually moved away from creative backline plays due to the shear amount of space available, it's easy to travel 40-50 metres in 5 tackles just by running out from the play the ball. I've said this before but Rugby League has the illusion of something interesting happening because there's constant movement, but more often than not it's the same thing every set of 6 tackles - run the ball out for 3 or 4 tackles, kick a bomb on the 5th.

This. Outside of the respective 20m marks practically nothing happens in League. I tend to think if League decided to do away with 50% of their field and have just have two 20m zones plus a 10m transition zone that it would be massively improved. But that's not likely. Hell, the one out runs have even made there way into the 9s format.

If Rugby decided to take its 10s format. Run it over 4 x 20 minute quarters it would defecate on League from a high.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 12:38

I really didn't mean to turn this into a code debate; it was more a statement of League gaining ground and being an easier game to grasp, and in some ways more appealing to watch, for a casual viewer than Union.

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 13:08

Working Class Rugger wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Rugby League has more or less become nothing but one out running from the play the ball, ever since the advent of the 10m offside line the game has gradually moved away from creative backline plays due to the shear amount of space available, it's easy to travel 40-50 metres in 5 tackles just by running out from the play the ball. I've said this before but Rugby League has the illusion of something interesting happening because there's constant movement, but more often than not it's the same thing every set of 6 tackles - run the ball out for 3 or 4 tackles, kick a bomb on the 5th.

This. Outside of the respective 20m marks practically nothing happens in League. I tend to think if League decided to do away with 50% of their field and have just have two 20m zones plus a 10m transition zone that it would be massively improved. But that's not likely. Hell, the one out runs have even made there way into the 9s format.

If Rugby decided to take its 10s format. Run it over 4 x 20 minute quarters it would defecate on League from a high.

You might be onto something with that 10s idea. Bringing in rolling subs could help transition to a longer format as you suggested. I'm surprised how long it's taken for t1 and the world outside of Asia to take notice of it, 10s is a fantastic game, i much prefer it to 7s. A good stepping stone for developing nations as well.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 19:51

ihateblazers wrote:

You might be onto something with that 10s idea. Bringing in rolling subs could help transition to a longer format as you suggested. I'm surprised how long it's taken for t1 and the world outside of Asia to take notice of it, 10s is a fantastic game, i much prefer it to 7s. A good stepping stone for developing nations as well.

I've been saying for a while now that the IRB missed the boat choosing 7s over 10s. I worry that schools that can only run 7s (oddly, given the location, girls in Victoria) will not provide any tight five players for future XVs sides. 10s, as shown in the Brisbane series, still has a spot for the big player. Apart from the odd freak, and the Fijians of course, 7s at the top level is becoming a game for a certain body type that doesn't even include the hulking no 8 type (lots of weight to carry around, not as agile) nor the skinny little speedster (who gets monstered in 1v1s).

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 21 Mar 2017, 22:38

Used2BwithIt wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:

I've been saying for a while now that the IRB missed the boat choosing 7s over 10s. I worry that schools that can only run 7s (oddly, given the location, girls in Victoria) will not provide any tight five players for future XVs sides. 10s, as shown in the Brisbane series, still has a spot for the big player. Apart from the odd freak, and the Fijians of course, 7s at the top level is becoming a game for a certain body type that doesn't even include the hulking no 8 type (lots of weight to carry around, not as agile) nor the skinny little speedster (who gets monstered in 1v1s).

There's plenty of room for those types in 7s at the top level. It's gonna depend on the style of the team, but look at the US team. Top 4 finishes in the last two events and their preferred starting lineup includes two hulking number 8 types in Danny Barrett and Andrew Durutalo and a skinny speedster in Perry Baker. England roll out de Carpentier and Rodwell together, who would fit that mold as well. South Africa is full of skinny speedsters. Cecil Afrika is, what, 160 pounds soaking wet? And of course the Fijians are full of big guys.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 05:25

Cam Pierce announced his retirement via instagram today.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 02:06

This ...

... is going to be ...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 02:18

I personally can't wait tip see the noon answers

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 14:55

Oh god, I might have to work from home tomorrow so I can fully experience the nothing that's going to come from that.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 15:01

ruckovercdn wrote:Compared the the thrilling matches we were treated to this weekend? What sports fan wouldn't want to watch the last ten minutes of Wales France, especially after the 80 minute single try affair? Now I'm a union guy through and through, but the reality is that League is much much easier to appreciate and they've tweaked the game to deliver what people want to see, which is open play.

I genuinely don't know the answer to that. France v Wales was a totally gripping ending as just one slip from either side would cost them the match. That was a terrific must-watch ending.

League would never have that because 80 mins would be up, one tackle made and the game over. Not as much tension, not as much drama, not as much entertainment.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 15:24

sk 88 wrote:

I genuinely don't know the answer to that. France v Wales was a totally gripping ending as just one slip from either side would cost them the match. That was a terrific must-watch ending.

League would never have that because 80 mins would be up, one tackle made and the game over. Not as much tension, not as much drama, not as much entertainment.

Are you serious? The 19 minutes of extra time most of which was spent discussing the complexity of a substitution issue? The scrum was reset how many times? The welsh prop that was sent to the bin missed a total of 3 minutes of ball in play time. 3. It was a fucking travesty and Barnes should have awarded a penalty try far far sooner. However, I'll re align and go off my original point, all those scrums penalties and resets and the threat of a "single mistake" come down to understanding the technical battle that was happening. A casual fan, who flips to that on TV has no idea what their watching and it's quite boring frankly. Which is what I war trying to get at, the base line knowledge required to enjoy a game of league is far lower than it is for union.

I'm off this week and am deliriously excited to watch the shit show of this AGM.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:31

Totally. Do you know anyone that switched it off?

I bet anyone that did just happen to switch on would catch on pretty quickly from the commentators that it was a once in a lifetime event. More than that I reckon more people would have read about it on twitter or whatever and switched on to see what the fuss was about. My timeline exploded in those last 20 minutes. I agree that if it ever became a regular occurrence it would drag but as a piece of one-off drama it was edge of the seat truly gripping stuff.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:51

I appreciate both codes for different reasons. I like the clash of styles you see in Union which just don't exist in League to the same extent as the set piece and forward play at the breakdown give different advantages to different teams.

As a backline player my entire career I like the ball play in League far more. I personally would probably enjoy playing League more as I'd get the ball more and get more touches in. Having been an Ice Hockey player my entire life, I am occasionally immensely frustrated playing rugby union, especially with many folks tendency to just bash the ball up endlessly in the forwards, especially at lower club level.

I also generally hate the tendency in Canadian Rugby for backs to attempt endless amounts of set piece plays. I played wing and fullback in university but as a 30 year old club player now and at 200lbs I play in the centres. I had to tell our young flyhalf last season to cut the bs set plays, stick with simple plays and just play hands and throw the ball around. We aren't the NZ All Blacks. We ended up beating a team we got spanked by just by having a simple game plan based on individual creativity.

For me, League appeals to my ice hockey roots far more as I was very used to controlling the puck and trying to make things happen. Especially as a Defencemen who played at a rep level and was used to quarterbacking plays from his own zone.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 18:28

sk 88 wrote:Totally. Do you know anyone that switched it off?

I bet anyone that did just happen to switch on would catch on pretty quickly from the commentators that it was a once in a lifetime event. More than that I reckon more people would have read about it on twitter or whatever and switched on to see what the fuss was about. My timeline exploded in those last 20 minutes. I agree that if it ever became a regular occurrence it would drag but as a piece of one-off drama it was edge of the seat truly gripping stuff.

Yes me, and everyone else I know. And the whole of the r/rugbyunion subreddit that though tit was just god awful. "Controversial" and epic are vastly different things.

I'm really sorry that I've turned this thread into a code battle; my only point was that to a casual viewer League is far easier to grasp and is much less technical than Union. THat was in the context of League starting to grow here.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 19:17

Pretty good article from Bryan Ray about the state of the game ahead of the AGM. Pretty good read. I don't agree with everything he says, but overall, a lot of good stuff.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/0 ... oe-canada/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 19:34

I don't agree that the provinces should be the one driving Rugby, I think that's been Rugby Canada's policy for a while now and it's gone no where. There needs to be more direction to the provincial unions fro Rugby Canada about how the game is to be grown, and how players are to be groomed.

I half wonder if they could sell the CRC to some one, let a business try and make it into a thing.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 20:34

ruckovercdn wrote:I don't agree that the provinces should be the one driving Rugby, I think that's been Rugby Canada's policy for a while now and it's gone no where. There needs to be more direction to the provincial unions fro Rugby Canada about how the game is to be grown, and how players are to be groomed.

I half wonder if they could sell the CRC to some one, let a business try and make it into a thing.

Put the CRC teams in MLR

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 21:36

In my opinion, any Canadian pro rugby option must be paired with the United States if it's to be successful. Wealth and capital flows North-South in this country and not East-West.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 21:44

iul wrote:
ruckovercdn wrote:I don't agree that the provinces should be the one driving Rugby, I think that's been Rugby Canada's policy for a while now and it's gone no where. There needs to be more direction to the provincial unions fro Rugby Canada about how the game is to be grown, and how players are to be groomed.

Put the CRC teams in MLR

Sand pay for the travel with what? Sunshine and Unicorns?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum