Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 21:28

Former Adidas-CFO (who just retired in June) Robin Stalker is running for president. His team looks promising.

Apart from that online-streaming service DAZN has picked up both the rights for the 7s and 15s national teams.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 21:35

RugbyLiebe wrote:Former Adidas-CFO (who just retired in June) Robin Stalker is running for president. His team looks promising.

Apart from that online-streaming service DAZN has picked up both the rights for the 7s and 15s national teams.

Is that the guy whose company wouldn't give the national team some free kit?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 21:37

RugbyLiebe wrote:Former Adidas-CFO (who just retired in June) Robin Stalker is running for president. His team looks promising.

German rugby always seems surprisingly well supported among big companies at the C-level.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 21:47

iul wrote:

That's the guy who let the Bavarian federation use an Adidas bus for free on away trips :p
He is been the Adidas-CFO for 17 years and is a Kiwi, he might know one or two people who come in handy.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 22:58

RugbyLiebe wrote:
iul wrote:

That's the guy who let the Bavarian federation use an Adidas bus for free on away trips :p
He is been the Adidas-CFO for 17 years and is a Kiwi, he might know one or two people who come in handy.

Another sign that big companies (sometimes) make big investments in sponsorship based on the whims of CxOs.

Gillette started popping up around Rugby League when they appointed a UK Chief who was a big RL fan.

I suspect WR/RFU etc know which CEOs love rugby and make a beeline for them.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 23:25

RugbyLiebe wrote:
iul wrote:

He could be someone worth getting on board. A big part of developing the game in any country is the ability to mobilise resources and someone who would inevitably have the contacts to assist in that will always be of benefit.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 12:48

I'm going to be in Heidelberg soon. I imagine it's the wrong time of year for rugby, but wondered if there's anything going on... touch, pre-season training, etc.?

I'm serious about coaching and love to see what others are doing, would be happy to do a guest session, talk shop, etc. or even just have a run around if there's some touch/flag being played.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 17:05

And he's elected. https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 20:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:
iul wrote:

All Blacks Germany 2023?

DAZN is a serious threat to my will of watching rugby when I'm in Germany, it suuuuuucks

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Brigantine » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 00:02

Used2BwithIt wrote:I'm going to be in Heidelberg soon. I imagine it's the wrong time of year for rugby, but wondered if there's anything going on... touch, pre-season training, etc.?

You mean other than Germany vs Samoa this weekend? Literally in Heidelberg.

All I know is that this is a good website to check out for a general idea of the German rugby calendar.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 06:54

rey200 wrote:
All Blacks Germany 2023?
DAZN is a serious threat to my will of watching rugby when I'm in Germany, it suuuuuucks

You are aware that the cost of 10 Euro per month are a joke for what they have AND after the latest EU-judgement you can actually watch DAZN with your account in every other EU country as well.

Postby Rugby7 » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 07:36

Brigantine wrote:
Used2BwithIt wrote:I'm going to be in Heidelberg soon. I imagine it's the wrong time of year for rugby, but wondered if there's anything going on... touch, pre-season training, etc.?

All I know is that this is a good website to check out for a general idea of the German rugby calendar.
Not many matches and events are listed. There seems to be a summer break till 1st of September.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 07:47

RugbyLiebe wrote:
rey200 wrote:
All Blacks Germany 2023?

You are aware that the cost of 10 Euro per month are a joke for what they have AND after the latest EU-judgement you can actually watch DAZN with your account in every other EU country as well.

are you aware that I can't watch it, because it sucks so much?
It's using to many resources and while the picture is nice and hq I only see frames. I tried it and as won't use it anymore.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 08:42

rey200 wrote:
are you aware that I can't watch it, because it sucks so much?
It's using to many resources and while the picture is nice and hq I only see frames. I tried it and as won't use it anymore.

When did you last watch it? I haven't had any problems for months - on both mobile and firetv. Shortly after the launch there were some problems, but they sorted that out.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 12:59

RugbyLiebe wrote:
iul wrote:

Yeah I think Adidas has some sort of deal with a New Zealand based team. Can't remember which one though....

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 13:50

Tobar wrote:Yeah I think Adidas has some sort of deal with a New Zealand based team. Can't remember which one though....

Yeah, just a minor one. Next to nobody has heard about it. Something like All Blues or so. Yeah, and all the Kiwi teams in a league called something like Super Duper Rugby. But I reckon you were joking from the beginning :D

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 17:21

Are those the guys that do the hooka before every match?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 06:55

Tobar wrote:Are those the guys that do the hooka before every match?

Yeah, sounds about right. Must look something like this, if they are sponsored by a German company.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Used2BwithIt » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 14:41

Rugby7 wrote:
Brigantine wrote:

Not many matches and events are listed. There seems to be a summer break till 1st of September.

:thumbup:

Postby Raven » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 12:48

I´m gonna put the German International stage a side, despite this being quite an important week; can somebody perhaps better informed than I am explain to me why is there a difference in the number of clubs in 2.BL? the League has 4 pools where the South has 8 teams, East and West 7 and North has only 5 participating clubs, something I do not really understand considering the North has a Nord RL of 8 teams, a Nord VL of 10 (perhaps too numerous if you ask me, and many games get canceled) PLUS a NordOst RL of 10 (in reality 9, unless if you still count Leipzig II that didn´t play all games)!

I´m struggling to understand how the pyramid goes and who decides the amount of participating teams... surely something could be done for every Group to have the same amount of teams.

While we are at it, the other one that seems a bit difficult to understand is the West Pool structure, you have Hessen, NRW RL (Rhineland) and 3.Liga Süd West-Nord that at a first glance seem to be made up of teams that are quite close to each other -not all of them, but if divided by geographical regions it may make more sense and less traveling?- ... I´ve been told that the 3.Liga is a bit more "important" as it isn´t a "Regionalliga", but as mentioned, a "3.Liga", but how does it work? who gets to the 2.BL West? do the RL teams have to play in the 3.Liga SW Nord to get to the 2.Bl?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 13:43

Raven wrote:I´m gonna put the German International stage a side, despite this being quite an important week; can somebody perhaps better informed than I am explain to me why is there a difference in the number of clubs in 2.BL? the League has 4 pools where the South has 8 teams, East and West 7 and North has only 5 participating clubs, something I do not really understand considering the North has a Nord RL of 8 teams, a Nord VL of 10 (perhaps too numerous if you ask me, and many games get canceled) PLUS a NordOst RL of 10 (in reality 9, unless if you still count Leipzig II that didn´t play all games)!

I´m struggling to understand how the pyramid goes and who decides the amount of participating teams... surely something could be done for every Group to have the same amount of teams.

While we are at it, the other one that seems a bit difficult to understand is the West Pool structure, you have Hessen, NRW RL (Rhineland) and 3.Liga Süd West-Nord that at a first glance seem to be made up of teams that are quite close to each other -not all of them, but if divided by geographical regions it may make more sense and less traveling?- ... I´ve been told that the 3.Liga is a bit more "important" as it isn´t a "Regionalliga", but as mentioned, a "3.Liga", but how does it work? who gets to the 2.BL West? do the RL teams have to play in the 3.Liga SW Nord to get to the 2.Bl?

Forget about the West-structure. West is NRW, Rheinland-Pfalz, Hessia and Saarland (if they had teams playing in Germany). The 3. Liga South/West was a good idea when there was only two divisions of the 2. Bundesliga before the last reform. Now there is only Hessia+ one Rheinland-Pfalz team and BW+ one RLP team left. And if somebody wanted to get promoted in the 2nd Bundesliga they would still need to play a playoff against Bavaria (south) and NRW (west) - which kind of kills the initial purpose.

Different numbers in 2. Bundesliga:
You need to fulfil tougher regulations to obtain a Bundesliga-licence. That's a good thing but it leads apparently to a lack of clubs playing in North and East. While South and West don't have this issue as they have way more clubs. Imho clubs chicken out a lot and probably a 2nd division North/East would be a better thing. To be brutally honest, to many beer clubs with not enough balls to develop their game or on a more positive note, maybe the reform was a little bit too ambitious.

Pyramid: South/West

1BLSW
/\
2BLS 2BLW
/ / \ / \
Bavaria RL 3.SWS 3.SWN /\
/ \ | | RL NRW R RL NRW W
Bavaria Bavaria VL BW VL Hessia V
North South VL NRW

Pyramid: North-East
1BLNO
/\
2BLN 2BLO
| |
RL Nord RL Nordost
| |
VL Nord VL Nordost

Next year the 2.Bundesliga South will have 8 teams (4 from Bavaria, 4 from BW), 3 teams from Munich (MRFC, StuStA, Unterföhring) , Nürnberg, 2 from Heidelberg (Neuenheim, HTV), Stuttgart, Rottweil

Haven't heard anything about the other teams

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Werner » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 14:27

Raven wrote:I´m gonna put the German International stage a side, despite this being quite an important week; can somebody perhaps better informed than I am explain to me why is there a difference in the number of clubs in 2.BL? the League has 4 pools where the South has 8 teams, East and West 7 and North has only 5 participating clubs, something I do not really understand considering the North has a Nord RL of 8 teams, a Nord VL of 10 (perhaps too numerous if you ask me, and many games get canceled) PLUS a NordOst RL of 10 (in reality 9, unless if you still count Leipzig II that didn´t play all games)!

A few years ago there was a "League Reform", a restructuring of the "Bundesliga" and the numbers of teams was increased from 30 to 48.
But since then in no year all available places in the leages were occupied for whatever reason. (see Rugby Liebe above)

The 3.Liga South-West is a "Regionaliga" which is a common league led by several regional rugby unions together. As some of these unions still had their own "Regionalliga" with related regulations a new name was created, "3.Liga". After North Rhine-Westphalia and Bavaria in the past, actually Hesse dropped out. Whether Baden-Württemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate contine with the combined league I do not know, probably not. At least Rhineland-Palatinate tries to relaunch its own "Regionalliga". Teams from Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate including Saarland and Luxemburg as guests might go up to the 2nd Bundesliga West. Currently there could be play-offs between teams from North Rhine-Westphalia and "3.Liga".

The 1st and 2nd divisions in Germany are designed regionally and assigned to the federal states with their rugby unions.

On rugbyweb.de there is already a draft of the next leagues since some days.
First division: http://www.rugbyweb.de/index.php?league=671&le2=672&tableOnly
Second division: http://www.rugbyweb.de/index.php?league=673&le2=674&le3=675&le4=676&tableOnly

Postby myth » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 21:53

RugbyLiebe wrote:Next year the 2.Bundesliga South will have 8 teams (4 from Bavaria, 4 from BW), 3 teams from Munich (MRFC, StuStA, Unterföhring) , Nürnberg, 2 from Heidelberg (Neuenheim, HTV), Stuttgart, Rottweil
Until now I was thinking of Unterföhring as a separate community that had no direct relationship with Munich except the shared border. Is Munich now a new suburb of Unterföhring? That would defenitely make sense.
Whatsoever, strange beings these people from earth.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 07:19

myth wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Next year the 2.Bundesliga South will have 8 teams (4 from Bavaria, 4 from BW), 3 teams from Munich (MRFC, StuStA, Unterföhring) , Nürnberg, 2 from Heidelberg (Neuenheim, HTV), Stuttgart, Rottweil
Until now I was thinking of Unterföhring as a separate community that had no direct relationship with Munich except the shared border. Is Munich now a new suburb of Unterföhring? That would defenitely make sense.
Whatsoever, strange beings these people from earth.

Yeah, if you want to split hairs here, Unterföhring is not in the city of Munich. But Unterföhring is still located in Munich, just not the city of Munich, but the county of Munich.
So should I write Munich city (2 clubs) Munich county (1 club) the next time or does it make more sense to not dive in the complicated German municipal organization details and just write Munich?

So we will have the München RFC, the SV Studentenstadt-Freimann and the RC Unterföhring playing in the 2nd Bundesliga again next year, who happen all to be located within 9km from Munich city centre.

Postby Raven » Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 10:28

RugbyLiebe wrote: Forget about the West-structure. West is NRW, Rheinland-Pfalz, Hessia and Saarland (if they had teams playing in Germany). The 3. Liga South/West was a good idea when there was only two divisions of the 2. Bundesliga before the last reform. Now there is only Hessia+ one Rheinland-Pfalz team and BW+ one RLP team left. And if somebody wanted to get promoted in the 2nd Bundesliga they would still need to play a playoff against Bavaria (south) and NRW (west) - which kind of kills the initial purpose.

Ok, this makes a bit more sense to understand the "why", but should they do something about it? Cause now (the way I see it) with Karslruhe going down, you´ll have 7 teams in the 3.Liga South, dunno if any 2nd teams like TSV Handshuheim II (who was originally relegated after the first round) or Pforzheim II intend to appear again; and the North will have 6, plus all the other "satellite" Regionalligas with odd numbers... wouldn´t it make more sense to keep BaWü playing with Bavaria for the 2.BL South spot, but have the West / NRW / Hessia playing their pyramid?

RugbyLiebe wrote: Different numbers in 2. Bundesliga:
You need to fulfil tougher regulations to obtain a Bundesliga-licence. That's a good thing but it leads apparently to a lack of clubs playing in North and East. While South and West don't have this issue as they have way more clubs. Imho clubs chicken out a lot and probably a 2nd division North/East would be a better thing. To be brutally honest, to many beer clubs with not enough balls to develop their game or on a more positive note, maybe the reform was a little bit too ambitious.

Ok, so Berliner RC III cannot go up cause the 2nd team is in 2.BL, but what about RK 03 Berlin II? surely they meet the criteria as their 1st side, and same would apply to a Hannover 78 II or St Pauli II if the Northern Lions don´t want / can´t go up for the reasons they might have... I´m just trying to understand the logic, it´s not a complaint. It just feels weird that there´s a VL with 10 teams where sides have to play 9 games in 1 round only and traveling quite a long distance, instead of having it divided and in a Play Off modus to ensure the best get promoted...

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Pyramid: South/West

1BLSW
/\
2BLS 2BLW
/ / \ / \
Bavaria RL 3.SWS 3.SWN /\
/ \ | | RL NRW R RL NRW W
Bavaria Bavaria VL BW VL Hessia V
North South VL NRW

Pyramid: North-East
1BLNO
/\
2BLN 2BLO
| |
RL Nord RL Nordost
| |
VL Nord VL Nordost

VL BaWü is a joke. It doesn´t exist as a League (and it also partly the reason why I am asking all this above), I don´t understand how almost every other region in Germany have a proper pyramid and over there there is all a bit crowded / not very clear, could be done a lot simpler.

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Next year the 2.Bundesliga South will have 8 teams (4 from Bavaria, 4 from BW), 3 teams from Munich (MRFC, StuStA, Unterföhring) , Nürnberg, 2 from Heidelberg (Neuenheim, HTV), Stuttgart, Rottweil

Yeah and I celebrate that there´s 4 and 4. Bayern is actually growing well (I mentioned this in the Rugby Austria topic) partly because they are open and provide rules for teams to grow in the VL, with teams from BaWü & Austria joining their set up.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum