Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby grande » Tue, 13 May 2014, 11:30

I'm creating this tread to be a placeholder for all content about refereeing, laws, law changes, etc.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby grande » Tue, 13 May 2014, 11:33

To start us off, here's an article from the Independent proposing bringing the black cards (a la GAA) to rugby.

The article isn't great (it assumes you're familiar with GAA, since it's an Irish paper), but here's how I think it would work:

Yellow card - 10min sinbin. (as is)
Black Card - 10min Sinbin then subbed (replacement comes onto the field).
Red Card - Off. (as is)

So the Black Card would act like a Red Card from the player's perspective, but a Yellow from the team's perspective.

It's an interesting idea, I think, but I'm not sure if we need another card. I'd love to hear other opinions.

User avatar
Posts: 1867
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby iul » Tue, 13 May 2014, 11:39

grande wrote:To start us off, here's an article from the Independent proposing bringing the black cards (a la GAA) to rugby.

The article isn't great (it assumes you're familiar with GAA, since it's an Irish paper), but here's how I think it would work:

Yellow card - 10min sinbin. (as is)
Black Card - 10min Sinbin then subbed (replacement comes onto the field).
Red Card - Off. (as is)

So the Black Card would act like a Red Card from the player's perspective, but a Yellow from the team's perspective.

It's an interesting idea, I think, but I'm not sure if we need another card. I'd love to hear other opinions.

So, it would be somewhere in the middle between the yellow and the red. I'm not sure it's necessary, because there aren't that many gray area cases where you're not sure if it's a red or a yellow, but I wouldn't really oppose having it either.

Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby 4N » Tue, 13 May 2014, 11:49

Firmly believe that any red card(s) issued in the first half should be reviewed and subject to overturning at halftime. Playing a man down from the first half is obviously an enormous impact on the outcome, virtually shutting out the team issued the card, and is compounded when it's a marginal call a la Warburton.

Posts: 1527
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:36

I think that is a pretty poor idea.

We want to make the game less complicated for officials, fans and players not more.

It would result in too many cop out decisions where the referee goes black to get rid of the miscreant but not harm the team too much. Generally rugby sees too few red cards not too many. Edit to add: all the examples he cites were good calls for a red.

Adamstown 7s

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby Adamstown 7s » Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:46

I always saw Orange as the colour in between Yellow and Red.? :s

Posts: 106
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 18:45
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby CraigChalmers » Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:56

Adamstown 7's wrote:I always saw Orange as the colour in between Yellow and Red.? :s


Orange would be impossible to distinguish from red from the stand though - Needs to be clear which card has been issued!

Posts: 103
Joined: Fri, 09 May 2014, 00:26
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby ormond lad » Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:39

Never look to GAA for any inspiration regarding cards and sending players off etc as their discipline system and rules etc are terribly ran..
Not totally sure where id like to see changes and don't really have much issue with any laws while refereeing but that may change next season..

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 May 2014, 09:52

iul wrote:
grande wrote:To start us off, here's an article from the Independent proposing bringing the black cards (a la GAA) to rugby.

The article isn't great (it assumes you're familiar with GAA, since it's an Irish paper), but here's how I think it would work:

Yellow card - 10min sinbin. (as is)
Black Card - 10min Sinbin then subbed (replacement comes onto the field).
Red Card - Off. (as is)

So the Black Card would act like a Red Card from the player's perspective, but a Yellow from the team's perspective.

It's an interesting idea, I think, but I'm not sure if we need another card. I'd love to hear other opinions.

So, it would be somewhere in the middle between the yellow and the red. I'm not sure it's necessary, because there aren't that many gray area cases where you're not sure if it's a red or a yellow, but I wouldn't really oppose having it either.


I honestly don't think another card is required. In the Japan TL they had a zebra card for a few years. This was an official warning card that you were close to getting a yellow for a piece of play that was close to or could've been dangerous or repeated infringements.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby grande » Thu, 07 Dec 2017, 00:30

Bumping this old-ass thread, because I don't know where else to put it: https://www.worldrugby.org/news/299688

New law book to make rugby easier to understand

Approved at the November World Rugby Council meeting, the simplified law book is designed to make the laws easier to understand while not altering the meaning of them or how the game is played.

The book is the product of nearly two years’ work by a specially constituted group of experts and follows a comprehensive consultation and feedback process with World Rugby’s 121 member unions and all six regional associations. The eight-person group includes law experts, referees, a club coach, a sports scientist as well as a web designer/illustrator.

The result is a law book that is more logically laid out, clearer in its explanations and, with various repetitions and contradictions removed, 42 per cent shorter than the current version.


42% is a lot shorter. I'm really interested to see what's changed.

Posts: 3126
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 07 Dec 2017, 01:42

I would hazard a guess and say it's probably just wording.

User avatar
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 05:56
Location: Zemo Vera, Tbilissi, GEORGIA

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 07 Dec 2017, 06:34

comprehensive consultation and feedback process with World Rugby’s 121 member unions and all six regional associations

Not true
My Union did not get a copy to provide feedback
I've been checking with our *foreign secretary* during 2017

User avatar
Posts: 1249
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 05:56
Location: Zemo Vera, Tbilissi, GEORGIA

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 07 Dec 2017, 07:38

Process undertaken:
...
– That draft was sent out for validation to independent law experts from
England, Canada, Australia, Romania and Kenya
with all responses assessed and, if appropriate, adopted by the group.

– This latest draft was then distributed to :?: all World Rugby member unions
and to each of the six regional associations for further detailed feedback.
...

Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Referees, The Laws, and ELVs

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 07 Dec 2017, 07:47

Adamstown 7s wrote:I always saw Orange as the colour in between Yellow and Red.? :s


Black is the new Orange :lol:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], sammo, TheStroBro, Working Class Rugger and 13 guests