FijiFiji

Re: Americas Pacific Challenge

Postby Warpath » Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 21:40

FINAL SCORE FIJI WARRIORS 26 --ARGENTINA 27

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 21:56

DAMN! Was trying to watch it in the middle of class. I saw it when it was 17 - 12 to Argentina, I know I'm biased but it looked like Fiji had a fair try disallowed :D I was impressed with the level of the Fiji Warriors though considering they're all local players.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 22:02

losing is OK but for Argentina to score on the 84th minute is stupid :/

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 22:15

I promised, I delivered: here's the photos :)

We totally owned United States - and that wasn't the full Teros squad.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 23:03

NaBUru38 wrote:I promised, I delivered: here's the photos :)

Photo's aren't working

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Sun, 16 Oct 2016, 23:07

Muzzy wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:I promised, I delivered: here's the photos :)

Photo's aren't working

lol subcat https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... ted_States

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Suiram » Mon, 17 Oct 2016, 05:28

Overall, USA Selects were pretty disappointing. Its a development side so its fine for a few players to stand out, but overall does not give you faith in the development of our pipeline.

I generally thought the US had some really shitty refereeing calls against them, but not nearly enough to influence the matches. I thought Uruguay got some real freebies on the counter-rucks. They'd get one hand on the ball and lose their feet within a 1 second or less but still get credit for holding it up. In most test matches they'd be told to release if they lose their footing that quickly.

In the scrums, I'm not at expert but beyond being overpowered it seems like the US front rows are not really well-versed in all the tactical / "sneaky" things used by more experienced packs. This would be where PRO allowing more overseas players and bringing in some higher calibre foreign coaches could help.

Positive way to look at the US performance would be to read Eddie Jones' comments on what the US should do. Basically he said the US should just throw the squad into a free flowing / attacking style and let it struggle for a few years. Ideally it could trickle down into the player pool over time and give them a better chance of competing with top teams.

So based on that you could say the Selects took real chances in attack and occasionally played with flair and aggressiveness. Usually they were let down by poor support to rucks and because their hands aren't good enough to match that style of play. But improving on that style of attack could make the US competitive with better nations. Whereas the Tolkin-era rigid style will never get us anywhere.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Mon, 17 Oct 2016, 17:01

Suiram wrote:In the scrums, I'm not at expert but beyond being overpowered it seems like the US front rows are not really well-versed in all the tactical / "sneaky" things used by more experienced packs. This would be where PRO allowing more overseas players and bringing in some higher calibre foreign coaches could help.

Apart from the front 5 (exempting the hookers), I think they did OK. The choice of backs through up a group of potential Eagles that (with the exception of Te'o) hadn't been considered before. Boyer, Tomasin, Campbell, Unufe and Leuta could all be capped this autumn.

At the risk of banging on about the the same thing, they should have gone for more experience at prop. Particularly as there is only inexperienced options available at lock at the moment. The 5 props should have been chosen from Kilifi, Lee-Lo, Tarr, McLellan, Beach, Pederson & Waldren. Probably in that order. Sacramento out scrummaged everyone during the Pro season, including Denver and San Diego (with Buydens and Ilnicki in tandem). Why there props are being overlooked is a mystery. I haven't seen much of Turnbull as Denver showed little confidence in him, although Old Blue with Beach and Jamal Hadley (who looked very good) pushed NYAC (with Turnbull in harness) about in their recent fixture (the match is available on the USA Rugby you tube page). Wenglewski is an outstanding prospect, but still a teenager. Maughan, I haven't seen and clearly is not highly rated without good reason. However, the High School All Americans struggled at scrum time in Australia, except when Pederson and Waldren were playing together. Videos of these matches are on the All Americans facebook page.

That said, they came up against some very good props in the APC. Sanguinetti & Sagario should get at the very least PRO Rugby deals and possibly PROD2 offers.

Surinam, I would expect to see each team in PRO Rugby to have at least one overseas prop this year, I wonder though if Lee-Lo has turned down a call up, to protect his Samoan qualification or even to be attractive to a European club as a 'time server'. If not it his absence is a mystery. He was clearly PRO Rugby's best scrummager last season by some distance and at only 21 has huge promise (he is younger that Maughan).

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 18 Oct 2016, 01:35

Good points. I appreciate the logic from Magelby: domestic senior Eagles should now get 5 tests in the ARC plus the chance to compete for 4 to 6 more in June and November. Plus a 10-14 game season in PRO. So the pressure to use an Eagles B-squad for APC was less. Instead they went with a mix of age-grade and younger Eagles with the intention of building experience. Overall, I think this was a smart move, but maybe in the front row they need to aim a little older. Fiji and Uruguay both had so much more power.

I'd expect some of the guys you mentioned were being saved for November (like Maclellan). Also keep in mind if you are in school or even working a day-job, taking 2 weeks off in October and then another 3 weeks in November can be very hard.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Wed, 19 Oct 2016, 05:32

I saw some highlights of the USA team, I was really surprised by how small their front row are. Its no wonder their scrum was so bad, their front row were the size of other teams backs.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Wed, 19 Oct 2016, 08:16

Suiram wrote:I'd expect some of the guys you mentioned were being saved for November (like Maclellan). Also keep in mind if you are in school or even working a day-job, taking 2 weeks off in October and then another 3 weeks in November can be very hard.

Fair point, but surely these dynamics were also true of the other teams, all of which have more intense schedules during November.

The argument could also be made that this tournament would have been the perfect preparation for the November Schedule for players like Mcllelan, Tarr and Kilifi who have played no meaningful rugby since July.

And still the mystery of Lee-Lo's absence persists!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 15 Sep 2017, 15:28

The APC twitter account tweeted for the first time in a year yesterday, telling the pools for this year's tournament.

https://twitter.com/AmericasPacific/sta ... 0638545920

#APC2017
POOL A @UnionArgentina, @USARugby, @officialTongaRU
POOL B @RugbyUruguay, @manusamoa, @RugbyCanada

(I copy/pasted the tweet, but couldn't post it until I removed the flag emoji. Weird)

Looks like the tournament will be hosted in Montevideo, 7-15 October. Each team will play each team in the opposite pool, from what I can tell. All will be A-Teams.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 16 Sep 2017, 03:27

This year is Tonga instead Fiji.
Venue: Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo (Uruguay)

Americas Pacific Challenge 2017

Round 1: Sat, Oct 7
- USA Selects vs Samoa A (11:30 hs)
- Argentina XV vs Canada A (14:00 hs)
- Tonga A vs Uruguay XV (16:30 hs)

Round 2: Wed, Oct 11
- Tonga A vs Canada A (11:30 hs)
- Argentina XV vs Samoa A (14:00 hs)
- USA Selects vs Uruguay XV (16:30 hs)

Round 3: Sun, Oct 15
- Tonga A vs Samoa A (11:30 hs)
- USA Selects vs Canada A (14:00 hs)
- Argentina XV vs Uruguay XV (16:30 hs)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 16 Sep 2017, 13:34

Argentina named their training squad...we don't even have a coach for this.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 16 Sep 2017, 14:32

argie wrote:This year is Tonga instead Fiji.

It makes sense, as the Fiji Drua are playing Australia's National Rugby Championship.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 06:50

maybe the winner here should join the NRC next year and make it a perfect 10

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 16:59

Warpath wrote:maybe the winner here should join the NRC next year and make it a perfect 10

Too much travel if the winner isn't from the PIs.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 19:26

The USA Select XV squad has been named:

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/0 ... challenge/

I would prefer the old USA Falcons name.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 25 Sep 2017, 21:55

My Preview from the USA Rugby thread:
https://youtu.be/WJDwPeshFzw

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 25 Sep 2017, 23:48

My Preview from the USA Rugby thread:
https://youtu.be/WJDwPeshFzw

Cool, man!!
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 26 Sep 2017, 18:16

Not sure the last time the 15s were ever referred to as the Falcons, I know that's what the 7s development side is called.

John Hayden is expected to replace Paddy Ryan on the USA Selects.
https://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1804/teams/3185

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 26 Sep 2017, 18:45

Canada's roster: http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=101422

Quite a few old dudes for a "development tournament," but our guys need as much game time as possible I guess... Glad to see a couple names I'm not familiar with, at least.

Will there be streaming for this?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Run34 » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 00:16

While I'm pleased to see some new names in this Canadian roster, I'm wondering where some of the obvious choices for this development team are.
Where are Anthony Luca, George Barton, Brock Staller, Admir Cejvanovic, and Andrew Coe? With the exception of Luca these guys are still young with plenty of upside. Seems like this is just the type of tournament that would be of some value to them since, from my seat at least, these players look to have the potential to be 1st XV starters. Somewhat perplexing...

I'm also a little disheartened by selections such as Barkwill and Buydens. Would have loved to see those spots go to a younger hook and loosehead. I suppose players of their age and experience do have wisdom to pass down to the younger players. Perhaps intelligent selections after all. I don't know. With that said, I'm very pleased the selectors decided to give McRorie a rest. Excited to see what Andrew Ferguson can do when given the reins.

Anyway, I'm hoping this team can come together defensively and find some confidence. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 03:59

Based on my conversation with Bryan Ray last night on the Pod we have to look at these matches as a long training camp for some of the 1st side players. Same with the US, many just don't get the high quality matches to prepare them for Test Match Rugby, especially with you guys needing an aggregate win over Uruguay in the early part of next year.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum