Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup Sevens

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby Neptune » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 06:23

tryman wrote:I think it didn't help by having the tournament in an empty stadium in Russia where no one gave a damn about the sport.

Even in the last two years the World Series is getting more media attention and crowds are growing, that's not to mention the attention it got from the Olympics. This will all help for the 2018 SWC to be the biggest yet, plus it should be very competitive. San Fran is a seriously attractive place to visit too.

Brazil should stand a good chance of qualifying ahead of Uruguay given the attention they got before the Olympics. Hong Kong will be the second Asian team. South Africa & Kenya are the African qualifiers. I think this will be a very interesting WC.


Correction : South Africa and Kenya are the automatic qualifiers from Africa. Expect two more nations from Africa in San Fran.

Most likely Zimbabwe and Uganda

Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 03 Jul 2017, 07:31

RugbyLiebe wrote:Oh I just realized, that Europe gets 7 spots at the most.

England, Wales, France, Scotland, Russia, +2

So at least 1 team less than in the 15s world cup with 4 more teams involved. As Russia was the weakest team not being relegated in the World Series 2016 it might end with 6 teams.

For a continent representing 45% of all playing numbers worldwide (source: http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws. ... umbers.jpg). A max of 29% of the teams or probably just 25% is simply a joke and has nothing to do with fair distribution.


Just had to quote myself here. So Europe will have 6 teams at the World Cup. And we already know that they will just include 6 Nation teams and/or World Series teams (Ireland, Russia & Spain fighting it out). Well done World Rugby to grow our sport. What a bunch of hypocrites to basically lock out the most competitive continent with less teams than in a 15s-world-cup. Everyone involved in setting up this qualification path should be fired for incompetency.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 03 Jul 2017, 22:17

Munich would be nice. Barcelona is the other European city I'd choose.

Buenos Aires or La Plata would be great too.

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 03 Jul 2017, 22:35

RugbyLiebe wrote: Europe will have 6 teams at the World Cup. And we already know that they will just include 6 Nation teams and/or World Series teams (Ireland, Russia & Spain fighting it out). Well done World Rugby to grow our sport. What a bunch of hypocrites to basically lock out the most competitive continent with less teams than in a 15s-world-cup.


I admit that Oceania and Africa have too many spots.

I'd prefer a 12-team World Qualifier, with two teams per continent.
The top 4 teams in group phase advance to quarter-finals.
The other 8 teams play a preliminary round, with the winners advancing to quarter-finals.
The four semi-finalists qualify to the World Cup.

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby Neptune » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 06:10

RugbyLiebe wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Oh I just realized, that Europe gets 7 spots at the most.

England, Wales, France, Scotland, Russia, +2

So at least 1 team less than in the 15s world cup with 4 more teams involved. As Russia was the weakest team not being relegated in the World Series 2016 it might end with 6 teams.

For a continent representing 45% of all playing numbers worldwide (source: http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws. ... umbers.jpg). A max of 29% of the teams or probably just 25% is simply a joke and has nothing to do with fair distribution.


Just had to quote myself here. So Europe will have 6 teams at the World Cup. And we already know that they will just include 6 Nation teams and/or World Series teams (Ireland, Russia & Spain fighting it out). Well done World Rugby to grow our sport. What a bunch of hypocrites to basically lock out the most competitive continent with less teams than in a 15s-world-cup. Everyone involved in setting up this qualification path should be fired for incompetency.

It would also be easy if the anglo- saxon teams went in the world cup as Britain, the same way they have the British and Irish Lions,

then the other slots go to other countries. By going in as 4 different countries, yet they are a 45 minute flight from each other is what is bringing up the clogging of the system in the 15s RWC.

Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 08:15

Neptune wrote:It would also be easy if the anglo- saxon teams went in the world cup as Britain, the same way they have the British and Irish Lions,

then the other slots go to other countries. By going in as 4 different countries, yet they are a 45 minute flight from each other is what is bringing up the clogging of the system in the 15s RWC.


While I think that GB should play as one team in 7s, but you have to rethink your argument. A 45 minute flight for 600 km from Munich where I live i.e. brings you to at least 15 countries, Monaco in France included. While Hamburg would be within an hour flight from London.
Not sure what you mean with the 15s RWC as there are more places for Europe than in the 7s world cup.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 20:18

I'm fine with Wales and Scotland having sevens teams. Anyway, it's their decision.

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby Neptune » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 05:40

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote:It would also be easy if the anglo- saxon teams went in the world cup as Britain, the same way they have the British and Irish Lions,

then the other slots go to other countries. By going in as 4 different countries, yet they are a 45 minute flight from each other is what is bringing up the clogging of the system in the 15s RWC.


While I think that GB should play as one team in 7s, but you have to rethink your argument. A 45 minute flight for 600 km from Munich where I live i.e. brings you to at least 15 countries, Monaco in France included. While Hamburg would be within an hour flight from London.
Not sure what you mean with the 15s RWC as there are more places for Europe than in the 7s world cup.


When the team goes in the world cup 15s as team GB, the other 3 slots can be redistributed to other countries worldwide, and not just Europe.

Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 07:00

Neptune wrote:
When the team goes in the world cup 15s as team GB, the other 3 slots can be redistributed to other countries worldwide, and not just Europe.


This is about a 7s world cup, because of the Olympics being the climax of 7s it would make sense to play as GB. In 15s it would make no sense at all to play as GB.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 11:37

So Russia and Ireland have qualified from Europe.
They left newly qualified World 7s Series team Spain and Germany behind.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby Neptune » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 10:58

The RWC 7 format looks really weird. I wonder who comes up with these suggestions.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/confusio ... cup-format

Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby grande » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 12:25

I wonder if they're doing weird stuff to try and differentiate it from the Series and Olympics?

Posts: 2771
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby victorsra » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 12:47

I think it is very simple, not weird. They opted to make it a competition different from the Series and the Olympics. Otherwise it would be more of the same.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 13:31

Neptune wrote:The RWC 7 format looks really weird. I wonder who comes up with these suggestions.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/confusio ... cup-format


So wait. We have a world cup system which is a heavy disadvantage to underdogs - Never ever seen that at a Rugby World Cup :lol:
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 13:33

Except for women's tournament. Spain's 4th place in 2013 means either our women or Japan should be in quarterfinals. Which is crazy as much as it benefits us.

Posts: 2771
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby victorsra » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 16:07

So wait. We have a world cup system which is a heavy disadvantage to underdogs - Never ever seen that at a Rugby World Cup :lol:


Yes and no.

It is bad because underdogs can play just one big match. However, in a groups-format a big upset caused by a underdog can mean nothing, because you usually need 2 victories to go to the finals. And in a 24-teams format, 6 groups could mean just 1 team advncing in a group.

A just-playoff competition is like the football national cups, a underdog can cause more impact and any upset will mean a lot.

They are testing a different format to give a different face to the RWC7s. A normal format with a groups phase is just what the Series and the Olympics. Yes, with more teams, but not much more emotions. It is a choice. Underdogs will swap a minimum of 4 matches (but a couple of meaningless matches) for a minimum of 2 (but 1 with much in dispute).

I don't love it, but I see the reason and it is positive. RWC7s needs a proper identity. It will be of a non-mistakes tournament open to big upsets. It can be good for the spectacle. Meanwhil,e WR could focus on giving minor nations a proper second division series.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby Neptune » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 04:07

victorsra wrote:I think it is very simple, not weird. They opted to make it a competition different from the Series and the Olympics. Otherwise it would be more of the same.


so basically, half of the teams will be eliminated in day 1, coz it's knockout, plus you only need 3 games to win the world cup from the previous 6.

Posts: 2771
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 05:16

Yep. That is just like any knockout competition. In football you have a league for one reason and aq cup for another reason. Sevens already has the Series and the Olympics. The Cup doesn't need to provide the same kind of tournament.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 06:04

That format has to be a mistake, but then why go to the trouble of making graphics for it? Winning a world cup having played only 3 games is ludicrous.

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby Neptune » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 06:10

thatrugbyguy wrote:That format has to be a mistake, but then why go to the trouble of making graphics for it? Winning a world cup having played only 3 games is ludicrous.


Only time will tell. Let's wait and see, but from a personal opinion WR has always been using 7s rugby as a guinea pig in trial and error circumstances, before relaying it to the wider xvs version.

Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 07:07

victorsra wrote:
So wait. We have a world cup system which is a heavy disadvantage to underdogs - Never ever seen that at a Rugby World Cup :lol:


Yes and no.

It is bad because underdogs can play just one big match. However, in a groups-format a big upset caused by a underdog can mean nothing, because you usually need 2 victories to go to the finals. And in a 24-teams format, 6 groups could mean just 1 team advncing in a group.

A just-playoff competition is like the football national cups, a underdog can cause more impact and any upset will mean a lot.

They are testing a different format to give a different face to the RWC7s. A normal format with a groups phase is just what the Series and the Olympics. Yes, with more teams, but not much more emotions. It is a choice. Underdogs will swap a minimum of 4 matches (but a couple of meaningless matches) for a minimum of 2 (but 1 with much in dispute).

I don't love it, but I see the reason and it is positive. RWC7s needs a proper identity. It will be of a non-mistakes tournament open to big upsets. It can be good for the spectacle. Meanwhil,e WR could focus on giving minor nations a proper second division series.


The disadvantage is that they play more matches. Especially in 7s, where injuries make a bigger difference in a longer tournament this can and will make a difference if you play two or three days in a row.
I don't understand why they don't have 6 groups of 4, 1st and 2nd plus the 4 group 3rd advance. Then round of last 16. End of story. Equal playing schedule and something different from Olympics and World Series. And it is a good format as seen in soccer world cups before expansion.

But no, this is rugby. So we overcomplicate everything and still find a way to give smaller nations a disadvantage. This sucks so much.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 19:00

For the next edition, there should be a world repechage tournament, like at the 2016 Olympics. This would allow more teams to ply teams from other continents.

Posts: 1676
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 01:26

victorsra wrote:Yep. That is just like any knockout competition. In football you have a league for one reason and aq cup for another reason. Sevens already has the Series and the Olympics. The Cup doesn't need to provide the same kind of tournament.


What rugby doesn't need is a bone headed format that kicks a team out of the reckoning after only one game after all the effort and sacrifice in training players have given, and money spent by national unions and WR to get 40 teams to San Fran. Honestly if I was a union official, I'd be saying "What's the point?". Another f**k up proudly brought to you by WR. :x :thumbdown:

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 04:23

It's just ridiculous to me this format might even be considered let alone approved. There's literally no point in teams turning up to play at best 3 matches. One match and you're out? You may as well just draw a random winner from a hat.

Posts: 850
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby World Cup Sevens

Postby Neptune » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 05:29

It is so sad, :cry: i hope there are people who work for WR and are reading this posts. All the training, the sacrifice, the time, the money and then you get kicked out after 1 match.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beber, Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Higgik, Immenso, Kiroshi, Osmanperalta, WoodlandsRFC, Working Class Rugger, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests