Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Oceania

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 13:13

Edgar wrote:
4N wrote:Egypt have played tests, Vietnam haven’t.

The country definitely has domestic rugby and Saigon and Hanoi play against Vientiane (Laos) and Phnom Penh (Cambodia) in the annual Indo-China Cup.

While I like your enthusiasm, I have a mate who moved to Hanoi and played for this club. Picture that popped up on my facebook timeline during his stay there, showed a nearly expat-only very social club. Still a first step, but I doubt that they are really close to form a serious competition any time soon. From my experience you need locals in the expat club which then tend to break away to form their own more local themed club over time.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 19:38

Well, they wouldn't be the first, of course. Not sure what's worse, a "national" team full of expats or a "national" team made up of diaspora. Probably the latter if there isn't any domestic rugby.

So I think we can agree on the following list:

Biggest country never to have played a test: Bangladesh, 170 million (rank 8th)
Biggest country never to have played a test or 7s international: Vietnam, 100 million (rank 15th)

Smallest (independent) country to have played a test: Monaco, 38,000 (6th smallest self-governed nation)
Smallest country to have played a test: Niue, 1,600 (3rd smallest nation, territory of NZ)

Smallest (independent) country to have played a 7s international: Tuvalu, 11,000 (2nd smallest self-governed nation)
Smallest country to have played a 7s international: Tokelau 1,400 (2nd smallest nation, territory of NZ)

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 20:20

Well, as I said once before, researching 7s results becomes a real journey down the rabbits warren, but it seems I have overlooked Ethiopia. Is there any evidence of them playing international rugby of any variety? If not, with 112 million people (12th in the world), they replace Vietnam as the largest nation never to have played a test or 7s international.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 20 Jul 2019, 07:49

Nadroga defeated Suva 24-13 to win the Farebrother trophy challenge at Prince Charles Park in Nadi. This is the KO competition. Suva won the 2019 Skipper League with a 34-26 victory over Nadroga in the final last month.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby ... RufyB9TmS8

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 20 Jul 2019, 09:38

Pacific Games in Apia, touch rugby competitions

Men: G Papua Guinea, S Samoa, B Fiji, 4 Cook, 5 Tonga, 6 Solomon, 7 Tokelau.
Women: G Papua Guinea, S Samoa, B Fiji, 4 Cook, 5 Tonga, 6 Solomon.
Mixed: G Papua Guinea, S Samoa, B Cook, 4 Fiji, 5 Tonga, 6 Solomon.

PNG won 22 games out of 22

The final medal tally relative to the rugby competitions (7s, league 9s, touch) is
Fij 4 - 2
Png 3 2 1
Sam - 4 1
Aus - 1 -
Coo - - 2
Ton - - 1

This suggests an idea, even if I know that it is very unlikely to be realized: the RUGBY GAMES, a sort of Olympic Games dedicated just to the rugby sports. Main rugby, rugby 7s, rugby league, rugby league 9s, rugby 10s, beach rugby, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair rugby league, underwater rugby, and maybe even snow rugby (but it appears complicated to host beach rugby and snow rugby in the same period...). The logo of the Games would be five colored oval rings linked together : )

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 20 Jul 2019, 14:18

Great idea, but I'd keep it at union. Enough varieties of the parent code - with men and women, XVs and 7s, touch and wheelchair, etc, and I just don't see the two codes working together on anything like that. Beach rugby could be a goer. & wasn't there something in the press a few months ago about indoor 5-a-side being the next big thing to sweep the international sporting community? :roll:

By all accounts Samoa did a fantastic job of hosting the Pacific Games and hats off to you for keep up and giving it some coverage. :thumbup: I've got the Samoan Observer linked to my Facebook page and it's actually one of my favorite reads - not just for the rugby either!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 28 Jul 2019, 10:59

Edgar wrote:I've been in touch with Oceania Rugby and they say they are hoping to confirm the tournament - and participating teams - at the end of the month.

I don't suppose you've heard any more, Edgar?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 28 Jul 2019, 19:26

Also Niue is trying to take part

https://www.gofundme.com/f/niue-rugby-o ... r-png-2019

...and Solomons confirm their participation. They are going to close the list of players, so the tournament should be near even if we can't find any precise date
https://www.facebook.com/siruf/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 29 Jul 2019, 03:46

https://thenewoutrigger.com/2019/04/29/ ... nd-abroad/

and this is a nice article about Tuvalu rugby, if it was not already posted. They have a sort of "Tournament of the Six Atolls", because they use to have one team per island, the archipelago is composed by nine islands but two of them (despite being far one from the other) are considered the same community, another island has not a rugby team and one other island has just a 7s team: so six XV teams

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 01 Aug 2019, 09:34

Definitive details about Oceania Cup

23 (friday), 27 (tuesday) and 31 (saturday) august
PNG (ranked 85), Niue (98), Solomon (100) and Nauru (not ranked) on the field

https://postcourier.com.pg/pukpuks-set-redeem/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 01 Aug 2019, 10:31

It look like Tahitian Rugby Union is in liquidation and a new union called Polynesian Rugby Union - Tahiti was formed

http://www.ladepeche.pf/lhorizon-intern ... -tahitien/

This explains Tahiti's absence from Pacific Games and Oceania Cup.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Thu, 01 Aug 2019, 11:14

The team who beat 13-9 Cook Islands in 2017 in RWC qualifying was from Tahitian RU.
Some dissident people (forming the new Polynesian RU) called Cook's Federation to indicate that 2 players weren't eligible.
So CI complain to Oceania Rugby and World Rugby and get the right to play the next round Vs Hong Kong in 2018.
This decision was probably a precedent-setting for WR, in particular for European qualifications (Romania, Spain and Belgium).

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 01 Aug 2019, 16:50

The New England Freejacks of MLR just signed a few Islanders with decent club/international experience:

Poasa Waqanibau - Fiji u20 and Drua
Isaac Cavu - Fiji u20
Naulia Dawai - Fiji (8 caps), Connacht, Drua
Tolu Fahamokioa - Hawkes Bay, Hurricanes training squad (he's Tongan)

https://twitter.com/NEFreeJacks/status/ ... 9001795586

It's terrific to see ITM/NRC players come here and get additional opportunities since the MLR schedule lines up nicely. It's also great to see Fijians and Tongans have an additional source of pro rugby to play that would allow them to be available for internationals.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 05 Aug 2019, 11:13

Solomon Islands have named 32 players for the Oceania XVs Cup later this month in PNG. It must be pretty rare to get a list for them with club affiliations so here it is...

I make it 8 clubs with players chosen plus one Australia based player.

1. WATKIN KASOA Prop TIA RC
2. TUFUNGA MICKY Prop TIA RC
3. RUKIA SIFINA Prop ISLANDERS RC
4. HOU HUDDY Prop MATANGIKI RC
5. MANA EZEKIEL Prop ISLNADERS RC
6. TUHATANGATA LAVERN Hooker MATANGIKI RC
7. KAVAMAURI RODNEY Hooker TIA RC
8. NASIU SUNIGEVA Lock AVAIKI RC
9. AKAO JACK Lock HHH RC
10. AETE’E EDDIE Lock SOSA RC
11. MUNA KEVIN Lock TIA RC
12. SAOMATANGI DANIEL Flanker AVAIKI RC
13. LAKOA PJ Flanker DIESEL RC
14. SADE SAMANI SAGA Flanker HHH RC
15. TOHUIKA VINCE Flanker MATANGIKI RC
16. TEAHENIU CASTRO No 8 MATANGIKI RC
17. TEMA PAUL No 8 UNIVERSITY RC BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA
18. GALO FELIX Scrum Halve HHH RC
19. TENGE CHARLIE Scrum Halve POLICE RC
20. SAOMATANGI RONNIE 1ST 5/8 TIA RC
21. JOHN EDWIN 1ST 5/8 MATANGIKI RC
22. TONGAKA ROMAN 2ND 5/8 AVAIKI RC
23. TAIKA LABAN 2ND 5/8 MATANGIKI RC
24. TEPUKE MOANA Centre MATANGIKI RC
25. SADE BOBBY Centre HHH RC
26. SANGA TIMO Wing AVAIKI RC
27. SANGA EDDIE Wing AVAIKI RC
28. SINUGAMOANA MOSES Fullback AVAIKI RC
29. TANGIMOANA EDWARD Utility Prop MATANGIKI RC
30. DELAIVERATA SONNEY Utility Lock HHH RC
31. SARU CHRIS Utility Backs HHH RC
32. QWAINA MATHEW Utility Backs HHH RC

Source: https://www.facebook.com/siruf/

Postby 4N » Mon, 05 Aug 2019, 12:11

Interestingly Solomons rugby has a big number of Polynesians even though they make up only about 3% of the population. You can notice it in names like Tepuke, Tuhatangata, Saomatangi, Tongaka, Sinugamoana, Tangimoana etc. I think many are Rennellese, who have some interesting links to Maori.

the islanders greet others with hongi, practice noa and tapu, and speak a language so similar to Maori that they can comfortably converse with the indigenous people of New Zealand.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0710/S00146.htm

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 06:35

The exact Oceania Cup fixtures. Friday 23 august 2019 will remain the day of Nauru's debut

www.loopnauru.com/nauru-news/nauru-debu ... onth-86147

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 06 Aug 2019, 07:20

According to this and other articles Nauru is now a sort of little hell, due to exceeding number of refugees, poorness and pollution caused by the former mining activities

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/a ... r-refugees

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 06:59

The Oceania Cup will be played at the PNG Football Stadium in Port Moresby at the end of this month.

Yes, it will be a debut for Nauru, while Niue have been out of action for several years at XVs. They will likely field a mostly NZ-based side, as the island has a rapidly shrinking population of just 1600. Also true that a number of the players in the Solomons squad are of Rennell and Bellona origin. Polynesians arrived there from Wallis & Futuna around the 14th century (not long after Maori reached NZ from Tahiti). The other power base of the game in the Solomons is the capital Honiara, of course, which has two strong clubs. Interestingly the entire island of Malaita (pop. 140k) switched from rugby to soccer over the past couple of decades. Participants in the inaugural tournament 12 years ago were Tahiti and New Caledonia (two of the larger islands in the region), Cook Is and PNG. The latter have been appointed host for the next 4 years.

Exact schedule for the Oceania Cup in Port Moresby later this month:

Friday, August 23 - 1pm Solomon Islands v Niue, 330pm PNG v Nauru
Tuesday, August 27 - 1pm Solomon Is v Nauru, 330pm PNG v Niue
Saturday, August 31 - 1pm Niue v Nauru, 330pm PNG v Solomon Is

http://www.loopnauru.com/nauru-news/nau ... yjEfWjqRfA

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 15:37

I'm in shock and awe! a true Ocenia Cup in 15s. One swallow doesn't make a summer though
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 15:52

In Italy we say "a swallow doesn't make spring" :)

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 18:37

That's also the case in polish ;)

but back to topic: it is really amazing to see Nauru there. Yeah, I know Niue is also playing and is way smaller, but their connections to NZ and the fact that they had much more inhabitants in the past doesn't make me wonder where their players come from.
Nauru on the other hand is a "proper" country, as it is independent since 1968. And wikipedia says Aussie rules football is their favorite sports.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 07 Aug 2019, 19:42

We say the same, but maybe it is just because we had massive Italian immigration... that doesn't make much sense here.

It is interting that New Caledonia's national team rarely plays...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 10:49

A lawsuit brought by former Manu Samoa Head Coach Fuimaono Titimaea Tafua against the Samoa Rugby Union for terminating his contract has been dismissed by The Supreme Court. Fuimaono claimed unfair treatment after his contract was unexpectedly terminated without cause. The position of Head Coach was re-advertised by the Samoa Rugby Union after just 12 months of Fuimaono’s contract, during which time Samoa had lost 5 out of 7 matches but qualified for the World Cup with the 2 wins against Germany.

Meanwhile, the SRU has yet to make a decision on the future of Vaeluagaomatagi Steve Jackson, whose contract with the national team expires at the conclusion of their Rugby World Cup campaign. The former Auckland Blues assistant is expected to consider an offer of employment with the Southern Kings in South Africa. The coach told the Samoa Observer he recently fielded an informal offer to be the head coach of the Kings and negotiations were ongoing.

https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/s ... GXSa-HLDXU

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 12:49

victorsra wrote:

We say the same, but maybe it is just because we had massive Italian immigration... that doesn't make much sense here.

It is interting that New Caledonia's national team rarely plays...

Got me interested so this is what my simple search found.
This saying is from the old Greek storyteller Aesop and it does say a swallow doesn't make a spring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young ... he_Swallow

In Germany we also say the summer variant, so probably a change from spring to make a bit more sense, as snowfall in spring is not that unusual in many regions.

/offtopic

Edit: I had a look on the Latin version and there it clearly states aestas (so summer).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby 4N » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 14:55

I have been looking at what sort of side Cook Islands could field - better than some of the teams at the World Cup.

It would be awesome to see a team like this face the Maori All Blacks - plus it wouldn’t cap tie some of the young players who hope to be ABs or Wallabies.

1 AJ Campbell (Queensland Country, NRC)
2 Sam Anderson-Heather (Otago, Mitre 10 Cup)
3 Alex Woonton (Sunwolves, Super Rugby)
4 Shahn Eru (Perpignan, Top 14)
5 Trevor Hosea (Rebels, Super Rugby)
6 Teariki Ben-Nicholas (Wellington, Mitre 10 Cup)
7 Steven Setephano (Grenoble, Pro D2)
8 Tyrone Viiga (Beziers, Pro D2)
9 Liam Daniela (Counties Manukau, Mitre 10 Cup)
10 Jack Debreczeni (Chiefs, Super Rugby)
11 Connor Garden-Bachop (Wellington, Mitre 10 Cup)
12 Tepai Moeroa (Waratahs, Super Rugby)
13 Tim Bateman (Crusaders, Super Rugby)
14 Chance Peni (Brumbies, Super Rugby)
15 Jackson Garden-Bachop (Hurricanes, Super Rugby)

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum