Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 00:53

We'll play a total of 13 tests in 2017.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 05:29

victorsra wrote:We'll play a total of 13 tests in 2017.

Good job Brazil, I hope other t3 nations can replicate this. With WR focussing on Brazil alot, this could spur them to t2 status in the next 2 years.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 06:07

I mentioned this in the 6N expansion thread, but we really need at the very least the top 40 nations playing at least 8 tests a year to properly develop the game worldwide. Teams are never going to get far if they play only a few test matches a year. It's great now that the likes of Brazil, Germany, Chile etc are playing more and more matches every year, but there needs to be more done from WR to have as many nations competing in both the June and November test windows as possible. Korea, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Uganda, Columbia, Mexico, Paraguay, etc, all of these nations need to be part of the international test window. On top of that there needs to be more promotion from WR about these type of games.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 19:00

sk 88 wrote: The USA test is a real coup. A great side to watch, a good level to test your own side and also what you'd hope is a commercially attractive fixture to generate cash for the game.

Indeed!

Also nice to see:

o- Japan vs Australia and France
o- Scotland vs Samoa vs Scotland, Romania and England
o- Wales vs Georgia
o- Ireland vs Fiji
o- Romania vs Tonga

What about African teams?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 19:08

NaBUru38 wrote:What about African teams?

You should know better than me, but Namibia was expected to host Uruguay for a couple of games and Kenya was Cup of Nations bound.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 04:15

Armchair Fan wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:What about African teams?

You should know better than me, but Namibia was expected to host Uruguay for a couple of games and Kenya was Cup of Nations bound.

yeah, but those were just proposals, we are awaiting the final confirmation.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 00:26

Shwmae pawb. Lurker for about a week, but registered to ask about this:-

"This June/July test series it's really the most test matches we play in a block outside the Rugby World Cup year so I think that really enabled us to work on some things," he said. Sometimes on the three match series you just feel as though on the third match you're just getting to where you want to be and then the boys go back to their club and you've got to start again three or four months later.

But I think this time around with the extra two games and the little camp in between the two campaigns we really made some big gains around the way we're playing the game and our training methods and the way we prepare. The thing is now to maintain that momentum and make sure that in November we build on the gains we've made during this series".

Next up for Fiji is the annual northern tour with test matches against Italy, Ireland and Canada confirmed for November.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/335461/sport-flying-fijians-fix-focus-on-world-cup

Neither unions have mentioned anything about this, and judging by the order in which they are listed, the possible Canada v Fiji game would be on the 25th?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 01:16

Well looking at it, Ireland v Fiji is already confirmed for 18 November while although not confirmed by Italy by they are scheduled for a Tier 2 side on 11 November. I guess that would mean Fiji v Canada would be on the 25th, which would mean the Georgia matches between USA and Canada are wrong with Georgia set to play Canada on the 25th.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 10:53

With the USA confirming they'll play (so far) Germany and Georgia, I guess the Radio NZ article is an educated rumour.

https://www.usarugby.org/2017/07/georgi ... mber-tour/

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 17:37

Apparently Tonga's schedule for November has been finalized, with there being matches against the Barbarains in Limerick, Japan in France and then the already confirmed game against Romania.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 20:55

IanCleverly wrote:With the USA confirming they'll play (so far) Germany and Georgia, I guess the Radio NZ article is an educated rumour.

That's set in stone. Two matches...and no home test, I feel like a T3.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 00:58

rugby.change wrote:Apparently Tonga's schedule for November has been finalized, with there being matches against the Barbarains in Limerick, Japan in France and then the already confirmed game against Romania.

What's your source? Other posters here add links and when I posted about Germany playing a higher ranked t2 non European team I made sure other posters knew where I'd got my info from. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see on what basis (source) you're posting this info. Even the veteran rugby writer in Japan who usually is on the ball when it comes to developments and schedules for the national team etc has only heard a rumour of a game v Italy so far outside the already officially announced games.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 01:11

IanCleverly wrote:With the USA confirming they'll play (so far) Germany and Georgia, I guess the Radio NZ article is an educated rumour.

Mmm, they say Frankfurt. I wonder if that means the Offenbach Stadium where Germany hosted Belgium earlier this year.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 07:20

YamahaKiwi wrote:
rugby.change wrote:Apparently Tonga's schedule for November has been finalized, with there being matches against the Barbarains in Limerick, Japan in France and then the already confirmed game against Romania.

What's your source? Other posters here add links and when I posted about Germany playing a higher ranked t2 non European team I made sure other posters knew where I'd got my info from. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see on what basis (source) you're posting this info. Even the veteran rugby writer in Japan who usually is on the ball when it comes to developments and schedules for the national team etc has only heard a rumour of a game v Italy so far outside the already officially announced games.

This article implies that the Tongan coach is aware of these fixtures.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... l-of-death

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 23 Jul 2017, 09:41

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:

This article implies that the Tongan coach is aware of these fixtures.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... l-of-death

Thanks BmG.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 08:51

cheesus wrote:the german rugby association has announced their november tests today.

11.11. germany - south korea
18.11. germany - usa
25.11. germany - brasil

the locations will be announced soon.

Has the Germany vs Brazil venue been announced yet and are there tickets on sale? I might go to see it

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 09:16

YamahaKiwi wrote:

Mmm, they say Frankfurt. I wonder if that means the Offenbach Stadium where Germany hosted Belgium earlier this year.

We hosted Uruguay in Frankfurt Volksbank Stadion in November 2016. So also possible. I like Offenbach a little bit more, but Frankfurt Volksbank Stadion was nice as well.

Frankfurt capacity 12.000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadion_a ... eimer_Hang

Offenbach capacity 25.000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadion_am_Bieberer_Berg

Logical choices as Frankfurt is Germany's biggest airport and quite easy to get around from there. Both stadiums are actually just a 20 minute drive from the airport. So if the game will be there it might be worth a fly-over for US-Rugby fans in Europe.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby myth » Tue, 25 Jul 2017, 15:31

YamahaKiwi wrote:

No, it means Wiesbaden. A town that is nearby Frankfurt, just 20 miles away.

Postby 4N » Tue, 25 Jul 2017, 15:42

myth wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:

Home to a big US military base. Hopefully get a decent crowd in.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 25 Jul 2017, 15:47

myth wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:

So it'll be played at the BRITA-Arena? 13,500 seats is a pretty good size if so.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 14:41

Canalina wrote:Tried to collect all the remaining test matches of the year. I hope may be useful for someone. Of course suggest missing fixtures if you want

Agosto
05 Ouganda v Zimbabwe
05 Tunisie v Sénégal
09-26 Mondiali Femminili
19 Australia v Nuova Zelanda
19 Sud Africa v Argentina
26 Nuova Zelanda v Australia
26 Argentina v Sud Africa

You'll now need to add a two game 'series' between Kenya and Hong Kong https://www.facebook.com/officialKRU/ph ... 20/?type=3

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 29 Jul 2017, 05:37

IanCleverly wrote:You'll now need to add a two game 'series' between Kenya and Hong Kong https://www.facebook.com/officialKRU/ph ... 20/?type=3

Yes, thank you

I have three doubts
- when and where the south american Mayor B will be played
- when and where (Costa Rica ?) the south american Mayor C will be played
- when the two matches of Africa Cup Bronze (in Nigeria and Algeria) will be played

I launched a tweet to Sud America Rugby asking about the first two questions

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 00:44

Canada to play Maori All Blacks on 4 November! What a bizar and one-sided match that will be

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 08:26

rugby.change wrote:Canada to play Maori All Blacks on 4 November! What a bizar and one-sided match that will be

Great! Otherwise how t2 countries could progress? Wish to see Georgia playing Maori ABs.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 15:08

rugby.change wrote:Canada to play Maori All Blacks on 4 November! What a bizar and one-sided match that will be

Hmm, strange... It's supposed to be taking place at BC Place Stadium, but the BC Lions (CFL football) are scheduled to be there that day...

Last time Canada played the Māori All Blacks they lost something like 40-10 (going off memory). That was a couple years back, so I expect the score to be even more one-sided...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum