Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Schedules

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby rugby.change » Wed, 21 Dec 2016, 22:51

November 2017 stating to get some shape.

England - Argentina, Australia, Samoa
Wales - New Zealand (I'd imagine they will get Fiji seeing as their June match is no longer going ahead)
Scotland - Australia, New Zealand, Tier 2 union
Ireland - South Africa, Argentina, Tier 2 union
France - New Zealand, South Africa, Tier 2 union
Italy - Australia, Argentina (I had seen somewhere they will host Romania but I can't find the article)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Scorpion » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 05:00

rugby.change wrote:November 2017 starting to get some shape.

Scotland - Australia
France - South Africa, Tier 2 union
Italy - Australia, Argentina

sources pls

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby JTV84 » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 08:26

reading between lines, there's a chance that Georgia gets a game in France, Italy or Wales... right? Romania should get a visit as well!

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 20:48

Brazil To Face Belgium, Portugal and the Cook Islands in June 2017:

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/1 ... june-2017/

I imagine Chile will host at least two matches as well. Maybe even Colombia gets a home test.

JTV84 wrote:reading between lines, there's a chance that Georgia gets a game in France, Italy or Wales... right? Romania should get a visit as well!

The prevalent rumor here in the forum is that Georgia will play Wales in November

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 21:15

Yes, that is according to the Brazilian Rugby Union's calendar, released today https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1219/ ... 2191561219

There is also the suggestion that there will be a South American Junior Sevens Series (I guess as a preparation/qualy to the Buenos Aires' 2018 Youth Olympics).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 23:16

Looks like Australia, Italy, Scotland and Fiji are to replicate the South African quad tournament from June 2013 again in June 2017.

Fiji executive John O'Connor confirm tests against Australia, Italy and Scotland. Will be interesting to see if those game will take place in Fiji or in Australia. Wonder if Scotland will play Italy aswell to make it a complete round-robin tournament.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 02:17

Nice set of games for Brazil next year. World Rugby really needs to get more of these matches for T2 and T3 nations to happen as part of the international windows in June and November, but they also need to promote the damn games. It's not much good if Brazil and Portugal play in June and no-one knows about it. They really need to start pressing the rugby media to start covering these games, it's not good enough once every four years for these teams to be given the spot light.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 07:01

thatrugbyguy wrote:Nice set of games for Brazil next year. World Rugby really needs to get more of these matches for T2 and T3 nations to happen as part of the international windows in June and November, but they also need to promote the damn games. It's not much good if Brazil and Portugal play in June and no-one knows about it. They really need to start pressing the rugby media to start covering these games, it's not good enough once every four years for these teams to be given the spot light.

Good point but that's a job for the home unions rather than World Rugby, unfortunately they can't do it for every country.The union need a communications plan for each home game and work together with local media outlets.

Local & national media, sync Facebook & Twitter press releases, place paid advertising of the game in the right places, link with businesses or other sporting clubs... Devise a plan in advance to get this comms reaching out to as many people as possible.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 10:05

WR don't even promote it on their Facebook page though. They're happy to post the results and fixtures for tier one nations and a few tier two teams but not the entire weekend of internationals. How are rugby supporters in the tier one nations suppose to know what's going on outside their little clubhouse if the governing body doesn't bother to tell them?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 10:24

thatrugbyguy wrote:WR don't even promote it on their Facebook page though. They're happy to post the results and fixtures for tier one nations and a few tier two teams but not the entire weekend of internationals. How are rugby supporters in the tier one nations suppose to know what's going on outside their little clubhouse if the governing body doesn't bother to tell them?

It's so sad they do this. Rugby is being made into an exclusive club of tier 1 teams.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 10:49

OK, we can blame World Rugby a lot, but national unions have a part of responsibility too. How many of them have English social media profiles and/or websites? How many of them send weekly newsletters with progress of the game in the country? Tier 1 sides do even if they don't have any need since they are so covered by media.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 14:09

Nice set of games for Brazil next year. World Rugby really needs to get more of these matches for T2 and T3 nations to happen as part of the international windows in June and November, but they also need to promote the damn games. It's not much good if Brazil and Portugal play in June and no-one knows about it. They really need to start pressing the rugby media to start covering these games, it's not good enough once every four years for these teams to be given the spot light.

To make it clear: Brazil's matches against Portugal and Belgium were NOT anounced by the Brazilian Rugby Union in any social media or website. They were just included in the 2017 Brazilian calendar released yesterday. I am pretty sure the reason is they are NOT 100% confirmed. But the Brazilian Rugby Union needs to put this in the calendar, as regional unions and clubs need to know it. The probem is: they should put just "a test" if this is not official yet. But be sure they will make lots of anouncements, at least in Portuguese for the Brazilian public.

I am not sure if I agree that T3 countries that doesn't speak English must have English social media. Social media texts can't be that long and they need to speak to the local community first. And usually they don't have money to have a large communications staff. So they need to focus.

I think the ideal model is to have the national union from T2/T3 countries producing newsletters/press releases in English thinking about international press and also work together with the regional unions to have English news in the regional unions/world rugby websites and social media. Nobody in the rugby press probably follows every T2/T3 countries' social media. It is World Rugby, Rugby Europe, Sudamérica Rugby, Asia Rugby, Africa Rugby, Oceania Rugby and Americas Rugby North that should be the "feeds" for this, where you can find big news from ALL countries. They should have someone in their communicatios staffs working with the national unions.

To be fair, Sudamérica Rugby does this, but in Spanish.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 03:03

I understand having the national unions do their part in promotion, but World Rugby has to help let people in the English speaking parts of the world know these matches are even going on. At the very least it makes the June and November windows look bigger. The bigger the international scene looks, the more money they can potentially generate when it comes to selling world cup TV rights.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 12:09

An exemple:

I am the Paraguayan Rugby Union and we are set play the Argentina's 4th division. In the same month there is the South American 3rd division there in Central America. What do you expect? That Paraguayan RU, Costa Rican RU, Guatemalan RU etc plublish in English? Sorry but no. I expect to enter World Rugby or Sudamérica Rugby websites/social media and read these matches will be played, with press releases sent to main sports press (ALL major rugby websites should have something about what's going on about national teams in the world). What I expect from Paraguay, Guatemala, Costa Rica etc is to see promotion of all this in Spanish.

Maybe today it is Rugby Europe that does less about this. However, they made the live streamings happen, which is great. But their press work is still nothing.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 12:17

The thing is most of international unions survive thanks to World Rugby grants and World Rugby lingua franca is English. A successful union for them isn't probably the one getting better results but getting a bigger return of investment. PRs, newsletters, tweets and highlights in English are more likely to viralise and get to mainstream media. I'm Spanish, I obviously prefer to read about all the unions you mention in Spanish. But in the long run the better strategy may not be that one.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 12:23

I think it is up to World Rugby and the continental federations to do this. Not the national unions that barely have money to have professional staffs. They should focus on getting rugby to their local press, work on their national teams and clubs' competition to be also promoted, etc, which is a huge work already for a couple of guys. For everybody it is much better to get all information you want in one place. Very few people in the world are interested in T2/T3 rugby from other countries apart from their own countries (we are exceptions). The work to make more people to be interested in T2/T3 rugby for me belongs to World Rugby and the continental federations.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 25 Dec 2016, 18:48

I don't understand why Sudamérica Rugby would need to write news in English. Nearly every member is Spanish-speaking.

I understand that Los Pumas could do so, but not the other South American unions.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Dec 2016, 18:50

To make the rest of the world aware of South American Rugby.

Interesting that South America is the only continent where English is unnecessary for internal communication. Brazil is the only non-Spanish-speaking country but we deal well with Spanish.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 25 Dec 2016, 19:29

Merry Christmas to everyone...

I am in two minds about everything should be in English or everything should be in Spanish, i do a lot of translation work ( as a consultant) in both directions and mentally can be taxing. I understand WR has as official language English but Spanish should also be key for the sport expansion for internal use. Also the PR Departments must have better initiatives at present they keep to a script which can be seen as tidious and monotonous, a quick scan of FB Pages from Spanish speaking unions doesn't show anything that stands out.

They must take the initiative and update their sites.

Sudamerica Rugby does publish in Spanish but not enough I think the content should be equal with a good designer who knows web building you can have pages in different languages.

Armchair Fan wrote:The thing is most of international unions survive thanks to World Rugby grants and World Rugby lingua franca is English. A successful union for them isn't probably the one getting better results but getting a bigger return of investment. PRs, newsletters, tweets and highlights in English are more likely to viralise and get to mainstream media. I'm Spanish, I obviously prefer to read about all the unions you mention in Spanish. But in the long run the better strategy may not be that one.

that is true, return of investment is key and in Latin America American English is the dominant form not British; it should be easy enough to setup dual pages.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 18:15

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 11:07

Someone seems to have been a little optimistic suggesting the All Blacks are going to play Canada in November on Wikipedia. From what I heard they are definitely lining up a tier 2 team for the first weekend in November- most likely to be Fiji or Samoa. I have a personal hope its Georgia but that's unlikely! We'll know by March.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 11:43

Where did they get the idea the AB's would stop over in Canada?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 17:29

Well... although they aren't affiliated to Sudamerica Rugby, we can't forget that our continent also includes Guyana (former English Guyana), Suriname (former Dutch Guiana) and French Guiana (still an overseas department of France), who have their colonial languages as official -- instead spanish

but I have understood your point, they do not even make up Latin America. I visited Guiana a few times and they are like a continent apart, totally different in the sports (they love cricket), customs, culture...
Last edited by SallesNeto_BR on Mon, 09 Jan 2017, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 18:36

Yes, but the three Guyanas are part of the North American/Caribbeans federations in almost all sports, at least in those more important to them: football, rugby, basketball and cricket (West Indies).

However, Guyana and Suriname participate in the South American Games (the "South American Olympics") and I recently discovered Guyana is part of the South American Volleyball Federation, instead of North America/Caribbean federation, but oddly Suriname is part of the NORCECA (North America, Central America and Carbbeans Volleyball Federation). Bizarre.

BTW, I know it is not rugby, but French Guyana has just qualified for the first time do football's 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLUVLepthY As there are several rugby clubs there (http://comite-territorial-rugby-guyane.clubeo.com/), let's hope soon they take part in RAN Championship.

And I still haven't found any rugby in Surinam...

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 12 Jan 2017, 07:47

The site Rugbiers reported that Chile looks to tour Korea in June:

“The first semester ends with the June international window. Still to confirm is the rematch test series against Korea and an Asian tour. The important thing is that Chile will return to play in June, something that didn’t happen in the last years”.

http://www.rugbiers.cl/con-un-plantel-d ... ente-2017/

I’m a little bit skeptical because Belgium and Portugal surely will not cross the Atlantic to play only one test against Brazil. Thus, Chile could host some games and leave the Asian tour for November.

This is the reported schedule for the region according to Americas Rugby News:

June 10 – Argentina vs England
June 10 – Brazil vs Portugal
June 10 – Canada vs Georgia
June 10 – USA vs Ireland
June 10 – Argentina XV vs Russia
June 10 – Uruguay vs Emerging Italy

June 14 – Argentina XV vs Spain
June 14 – Uruguay vs Russia

June 17 – Argentina vs England
June 17 – Brazil vs Belgium
June 17 – Canada vs Romania