Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Schedules

Posts: 627
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Neptune » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 08:20

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:
DRL wrote:World Rugby has approved the match Kenya v Germany – May 27, 2017, RFUEA Grounds, Ngong Road, Nairobi.
https://twitter.com/brettgosper/status/ ... 9363559424


Looking forward to this one. Like the Chile van Korea fixtures in November this to me demonstrates a genuine sustained effort to expand rugby globally rather than focus on the same 10-12 countries over and over.


Yep, Kudos to WR for a job well done. We also have another unconfirmed fixture against Hong Kong in the November window. NEVER have we had fixtures in the November window. Good stuff ahead for Rugby in Kenya :) :thumbup:

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 11:32

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Looking forward to this one. Like the Chile van Korea fixtures in November this to me demonstrates a genuine sustained effort to expand rugby globally rather than focus on the same 10-12 countries over and over.


Last year about 32 nations took part in November internationals which I believe is a record. At least 27 nations are taking part in June internationals this year alone. Now all we need is better coverage of these T2/3 matches. Word needs to start spreading to create awareness.

Posts: 627
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Neptune » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 14:24

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Looking forward to this one. Like the Chile van Korea fixtures in November this to me demonstrates a genuine sustained effort to expand rugby globally rather than focus on the same 10-12 countries over and over.


Last year about 32 nations took part in November internationals which I believe is a record. At least 27 nations are taking part in June internationals this year alone. Now all we need is better coverage of these T2/3 matches. Word needs to start spreading to create awareness.


Thatrugbyguy, do you have tangible evidence on the above statement? I highly doubt this. One of the main reasons we mainly miss out on the November window is that most of the tests occur in Europe, and our union has limited resources for travel, plus WR considers mostly T1 and T2 nations. I could say the figure was around 18 teams and not 27 as stated above.

User avatar
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu, 17 Jul 2014, 10:29
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Horsehead » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 14:49

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_end- ... rnationals

we have 27 Nations who played games

Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Czech Republic
England
Fiji
France
Georgia
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Japan
New Zealand
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
Scotland
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Tonga
Uruguay
USA
Wales

4 Select/Invitational teams

Barbarians
Emerging Italy
French Barbarians
Maori All Blacks

3 Club teams

Harlequins
Heriots
Munster

Posts: 627
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Neptune » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 15:04

Horsehead wrote:According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_end- ... rnationals

we have 27 Nations who played games

Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Czech Republic
England
Fiji
France
Georgia
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Japan
New Zealand
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
Scotland
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Tonga
Uruguay
USA
Wales

4 Select/Invitational teams

Barbarians
Emerging Italy
French Barbarians
Maori All Blacks

3 Club teams

Harlequins
Heriots
Munster


Ok, i am now convinced, but true to my word, most were played in Europe.

User avatar
Posts: 729
Joined: Thu, 17 Jul 2014, 10:29
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Horsehead » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 15:15

Neptune wrote:
Ok, i am now convinced, but true to my word, most were played in Europe.


And to be fair there is a distinct lack of African teams outside of the Boks

Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2014, 18:27
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 20:10

There was a meeting between GRU prsident and the fans today. One of the people who was present at that meeting posted on forum.ge that GRU doesn't know anything about game against Canada in November. I wonder where Rugby Canada got the info about match in Georgia.

User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:25
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 05 Apr 2017, 20:16

GeoRugby wrote:There was a meeting between GRU prsident and the fans today. One of the people who was present at that meeting posted on forum.ge that GRU doesn't know anything about game against Canada in November. I wonder where Rugby Canada got the info about match in Georgia.


If I was a betting man I'd say from World Rugby. Where else would they get the info from.

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 00:16

Horsehead wrote:According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_end- ... rnationals

we have 27 Nations who played games

Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Czech Republic
England
Fiji
France
Georgia
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Japan
New Zealand
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
Scotland
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Tonga
Uruguay
USA
Wales

4 Select/Invitational teams

Barbarians
Emerging Italy
French Barbarians
Maori All Blacks

3 Club teams

Harlequins
Heriots
Munster


You forgot the mini-tournament in Hong Kong:

Hong Kong
Russia
Zimbabwe
Papua New Guinea

So in total 31 nations. I was off by one.

Posts: 627
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Neptune » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 12:04

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Horsehead wrote:According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_end- ... rnationals

we have 27 Nations who played games

Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Czech Republic
England
Fiji
France
Georgia
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Japan
New Zealand
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
Scotland
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Tonga
Uruguay
USA
Wales

4 Select/Invitational teams

Barbarians
Emerging Italy
French Barbarians
Maori All Blacks

3 Club teams

Harlequins
Heriots
Munster


You forgot the mini-tournament in Hong Kong:

Hong Kong
Russia
Zimbabwe
Papua New Guinea

So in total 31 nations. I was off by one.


So, the notion that no African team outside South Africa participated does not apply. I wish WR could include at least the top 5 African sides outside South Africa in the November test window. This would greatly improve our game plus rankings on the continent.

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 10:51

I believe Namibia chose to not participate last November, but it would be good to get Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe and maybe Uganda all involve in the end of year tests. We had Chile and Korea joining the list of nations last year playing november test, Brazil and Uruguay the year before. We've also got Cook Islands, Mexico and Belgium becoming part of the June test window too. Would be great to have a consistent program in June and November of close to 40 nations involved in test rugby.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 17:49

José María Epalza, a key Spanish member of Rugby Europe board, just said in a radio show called Villanos y Caballeros that Spain is working on hosting Japan and/or Fiji next November.

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 08 Apr 2017, 05:53

Would be great to get either of those, better if they could get both.

Posts: 627
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Apr 2017, 07:08

thatrugbyguy wrote:I believe Namibia chose to not participate last November, but it would be good to get Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe and maybe Uganda all involve in the end of year tests. We had Chile and Korea joining the list of nations last year playing november test, Brazil and Uruguay the year before. We've also got Cook Islands, Mexico and Belgium becoming part of the June test window too. Would be great to have a consistent program in June and November of close to 40 nations involved in test rugby.


In an ideal situation, all the top 35 nations should participate in both June and November windows,
(1) to protect their ranking and
(2) to increase test matches between member WR unions.
But this is not always the case, What we have is guaranteed tests in both windows for the RC and 6N countries, and additional tests basing on whether you participated in RWC or not.

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 08 Apr 2017, 12:33

It's better than what it's been before. It use to be the case 15 years ago that it was more or less just Australia, New Zealand and South Africa touring Europe in November, with the odd Argentina, Pacific Island and Canada game thrown in for good measure. The last two years especially there's been a pretty big shift in incorporating more teams into both international seasons. 27 nations last June, 31 last November, looking like at least 24 again this coming June. Things are changing which is good, all that needs to happen is for their to be full programs for teams. Kenya v Germany is good, but it would be better if it was a two or three test series, or another test or two against Zimbabwe or Namibia.

Posts: 627
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby Neptune » Sun, 09 Apr 2017, 07:10

thatrugbyguy wrote:It's better than what it's been before. It use to be the case 15 years ago that it was more or less just Australia, New Zealand and South Africa touring Europe in November, with the odd Argentina, Pacific Island and Canada game thrown in for good measure. The last two years especially there's been a pretty big shift in incorporating more teams into both international seasons. 27 nations last June, 31 last November, looking like at least 24 again this coming June. Things are changing which is good, all that needs to happen is for their to be full programs for teams. Kenya v Germany is good, but it would be better if it was a two or three test series, or another test or two against Zimbabwe or Namibia.


We used to have an African tri- nations named the Victoria cup which was contested between Zimbabwe, Kenya and Uganda in 2010, but it was discontinued due to funding issues. Travel expenses for teams between Nairobi, Bulawayo and Kampala were really costly. Kenya won the inaugraul series.
Last edited by Neptune on Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 2343
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby victorsra » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 19:38

About Italy vs Scotland at Singapore, it would be logical to have a double-header with a Singaporean national team match together. Maybe a match against Malaysia, as they are in different divisions this year.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2343
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:10

Portugal probaly won't come to Brazil this year. It is an unofficial information, but looks right...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 15
Joined: Sun, 15 Jan 2017, 16:00
Location: Coral Gables, FL
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby yorugua@US » Mon, 08 May 2017, 02:58

thatrugbyguy wrote:I believe Namibia chose to not participate last November, but it would be good to get Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe and maybe Uganda all involve in the end of year tests. We had Chile and Korea joining the list of nations last year playing november test, Brazil and Uruguay the year before. We've also got Cook Islands, Mexico and Belgium becoming part of the June test window too. Would be great to have a consistent program in June and November of close to 40 nations involved in test rugby.

Heard in a trustworthy Uruguayan radio show that Uruguay was going to tour Namibia for a 2-game series with them in Nov.

Posts: 266
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 17:36
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby rugby.change » Mon, 08 May 2017, 21:46

Tonga-Wales New Zealand-Samoa double header confirmed for Eden Park

User avatar
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 09 May 2017, 13:19

yorugua@US wrote: Heard in a trustworthy Uruguayan radio show that Uruguay was going to tour Namibia for a 2-game series with them in Nov.

That would be very interesting.

Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2014, 18:27
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 10 May 2017, 14:45

GRU released November 2017 schedule on their website. I guess it is a confirmation:

Nov. 11 Georgia vs Tonga
Nov. 18 Wales vs Georgia
Nov. 25 Georgia vs Fiji

Posts: 2870
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 11 May 2017, 02:38

I know it's too late for 2017 to do anything about it but I'm wondering if there would be value in playing some high profiled matches in Japan during 2018 to help build hype for the tournament. Maybe the All Blacks and Springboks could stop over during the November window next year.

Posts: 266
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 17:36
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby rugby.change » Fri, 12 May 2017, 00:19

With the recent news of Romania hosting Brazil on June 24 this year, does anyone know if the Cook Islands tour is still happening. The Brazil test has gone, what about Mexico? Is Brazil still playing Portugal on June 10?

Posts: 98
Joined: Wed, 28 Oct 2015, 04:30
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: 2017 Schedules

Postby nick511 » Fri, 12 May 2017, 01:18

I read an article recently about the new Cook Islands coach and there was no mention of any trip to Brazil or South America the only thing they mentioned was RWCQ games and the the website/Facebook said nothing about a game.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], ihateblazers and 8 guests