Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Alibaba’s sports division to pump US$100 million into rugby

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Re: Alibaba’s sports division to pump US$100 million into ru

Postby olivier » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 13:12

jservuk wrote:This was a big news story when it broke.

Have there been any visible signs of the investment in China?

We will see it very soon with youth teams results.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 13:42

There is a difference in saying and doing. This could just be a pledge which will be implemented 10+ years ahead

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 14:11

A few Chinese teams have been playing recently in several Sevens European tournaments.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 13:02

Shandong province sent a men's team and a women's team to the Amsterdam 7s this year. The women looked very good and won the tournament, beating Wales in the final. I didn't see the men play, but they beat Irish Wolfhounds on day 1 and went out to Susie's exiles (the eventual winners) in the later stages.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 15:46

They intend to host the richest 7s tournament in the world next October: http://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/hk-seve ... 00-million

Aaaaaand...
“Our main focus is still to develop home-grown stars.”

The ultimate goal for China is to host a Rugby World Cup and plans are in place to launch a professional 15-a-side league featuring foreign players as soon as next year.

While China has less than 2,000 rugby players, Wei believes the sport will catch on and knows it is important to capitalise on the interest created by the 2019 World Cup and the 2020 Olympics, both to be held in Japan.
World Rugby chief outlines how China plans to become a global force in the sport ‘in a hurry’ after US$100 million cash injection

“People are still unfamiliar with the sport,” he said. “For example, they have a hard time telling the difference between American Football and rugby.

“The two terms shares the same translation in Chinese. They are both gan lan qiu.”

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 15:47

I believe it when I'll see it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 15:57

Well, the first step be to play the Asian Championship this year!
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 16:03

I don't know. It would make sense under Chinese mentality that they keep developing without playing official tournaments yet, only to make a return to world stage at a decent level.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 03:51

Apparently top 8 teams in the world will be running around in Shanghai in Oct.

http://m.scmp.com/sport/rugby/hk-sevens ... 00-million

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 05:48

Chinese pro league by next year? Wow.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:02

thatrugbyguy wrote:Chinese pro league by next year? Wow.

If so they'd better get cracking. I've even suggested over on G&GR that we should be looking to get on board early via 7s.

I reckon there's potential for a Asia-Pacific franchise 7s league. Start with say 8-12 franchises. Our 5, the Sunwolves, Hong Kong and maybe Singapore plus four mainland Chinese franchises.

Either run it two pools of 6 with each team hosting or as one big circuit with again each team hosting.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:16

If they want to be no1 power in the world they need to be cultural&sport also. So they start with intensive Olympics programs. After this Chinese government set another trend for private companies with serious reduction of taxes for those who invest in cultural activities and sports. Just like everywhere in the world most of them throw millions in football and Chinese ligue become the new Mecca in football right now with huge salaries buying footbal stars from everywhere (anyway the government wasn't that happy with this also and they put a limit o foreign players ad their salaries). Ali Baba owner is a smart guy by default and probably said, if i must invest a lot of money for my tax deduction at least put it in a great sport :).So expect to see Chinese serious involved in a lot of cultural&sport areas.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:27

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:29

well, throwing money at people doesn't make it a success. That's my statement on Chinese football.
I also disagree on the notion of "they will show themselves when they can deliver". We are talking here - over and over actually - that T2/3 need tests against stronger opposition, but when the Chinese try to set up their program on their own, you think it's gonna to succeed... do I need to point at the double standard here? If they want to be competitive , they have to play outside their sandbox

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:36

Chinese are very results implicated :). When they will see they have no results will start doing it like normal people :).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:45

Bogdan_DC wrote:Chinese are very results implicated :). When they will see they have no results will start doing it like normal people :).

I think they'll focus mainly on Sevens as it doesn't have the complexity of XV and time to get results is shorter.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 07:04

amz wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:Chinese are very results implicated :). When they will see they have no results will start doing it like normal people :).

I think they'll focus mainly on Sevens as it doesn't have the complexity of XV and time to get results is shorter.

Yes and Sevens is also Olympic sport.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 13:55

I must say I really enjoyed the idea of the Champions of Champions Cup. It gives some meaning for the mid-table teams in the World Sevens Series. World Rugby should make such a tournament official indeed, always opening the sevens season in October, between the end of the Rugby Championship and the kickoff of the November tests.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 18:03

Working Class Rugger wrote:Apparently top 8 teams in the world will be running around in Shanghai in Oct.

http://m.scmp.com/sport/rugby/hk-sevens ... 00-million

Confirmation of sorts from USA coach Mike Friday
http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2017 ... pions.html

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 03:41

rey200 wrote:well, throwing money at people doesn't make it a success. That's my statement on Chinese football.
I also disagree on the notion of "they will show themselves when they can deliver". We are talking here - over and over actually - that T2/3 need tests against stronger opposition, but when the Chinese try to set up their program on their own, you think it's gonna to succeed... do I need to point at the double standard here? If they want to be competitive , they have to play outside their sandbox

I agree, simply throwing money at the game isn't going to equal success. They need match practice. They have to start beating the likes of Hong Kong first before they can seriously be considered for bigger test matches.

Postby 4N » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 21:12

We are hearing that exciting news soon TBA re China Rugby Football Association (CRFA)

https://mobile.twitter.com/talkin_cafl/ ... 5421276160

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 14:42

I was recently in Beijing for work for a week.

Whilst there I kept my eye open for a sporting activities on my travels around Beijing.

I didn't do any touristing, my focus was work so I was you could say in a more pure native setting.

I saw many traces of the football virus (kids playing, big poster ads featuring Bekham, Messi).

At the media exhibition nearby anything sports media related focused on football, tennis, athletics.

In downtown Beijing outside one of the posh hotels there was a five-a-side 3g pitch.

On one of the days though this was taken over by an American Football crowd practicing some basic drills with some local Chinese kids.

I didn't get a chance to chat to them to find out who they were.etc.

I didn't see anything Rugby related, not even a shirt - a lot of work for Mr Ali Baba to do still.

I think Hong Kong is a better bet than mainland.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 22:06

China is huge. Even if only a 5% of the population becomes aware of rugby, it's still a 70 million people market.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum