Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Kenya

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Rugby in Kenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 13:39

With a population of 45 Million and counting, Kenya's main strength lies in its numbers.
Rugby is the second most popular sport in the country after football.
The six most popular sports in the country are Football, Rugby, Athletics, Cricket, Motorsports and Volleyball.
Apart from football, the rest of the other sports have managed to produce heroes and heroines from the various disciplines with Cricket hosting the 2003 Cricket World cup in Nairobi and reaching the semi-finals where it was one of the strongest associate nations and was almost granted test status by the ICC.
Women volleyball has dominated in the African continent for 12 years and counting, while Motorsports under their brand name the Safari Rally managed to host a WRC event a while back.

Athletics is also a popular co-curricular activity, with Kenyans known to be bagging most of the long distance races in the world. The only problem is that it is not a team sport. The high altitude in the country specifically Iten in Eldoret makes the training conditions very difficult hence athletes have a walk in the park when they go for the actual races in low and middle level altitude areas.

All these events have managed to contribute to Kenyan sport in equal measure, but none currently comes close with the popularity of the 7s team and rugby in general. This passion was again ignited after the team won a leg in Singapore defeating the dreaded Pacific Islanders and Fiji to be specific.

Back to matters rugby, as the saying goes, a team is only as strong as its weakest link, and the Simba XVs,(Meaning Lion in Swahili) Kenya 15s national team
manages to select its players from the strong domestic league in the country.
Kenya has a total of 120 registered clubs with an estimated 70,000+ players across the board from age grade, schools, womens and senior level rugby.
The Simbas are proudly ranked at position 23 and among their accolades is participation in South Africa's domestic league the Vodacom cup with one win against the Eastern Province Kings and narrow losses to Boland cavaliers (25-24) and SWD (18-17).
The main sponsor of all the national rugby teams is betting firm Sportpesa owned by Kenyan billionaire Ronald Karauri. Sportpesa also double up as the main sponsors of English soccer premier league side Hull city. Pesa is a Swahili term meaning money, hence SportPesa translates to Sport Money.

The Kenyan rugby league is divided into 4 different tiers due to its widespread and competitive nature. This is also because of the vast number of players who all love playing the beautiful game.
The Kenya Cup, Eric Shirley Shield (E.S.S), Championship and Nationwide leagues.

KENYA CUP
The Kenya Cup is Kenya's premier domestic league and comprises of twelve teams divided into two pools of six each.
The tournament is played on a promotion and relegation basis whereby the last two are relegated, and the top two from the Championship are promoted to the Kenya Cup.
Each team plays each other in its pool on a home and away basis, and then once with each team from the other pool leading to 16 games in total.
At the end of the 16 games, the last six qualify for the playoffs with position 1 and 2 receiving byes and home advantages, while 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 to leave the semi finalists and finalsts.
The twelve teams comprise of : reigning champions Kabras Sugar, Western Bulls, Nakuru, K.C.B, Homeboyz, Kenya Harlequins, Impala Saracens, Nondies, Blakblad, Strathmore leos, Mean Machine and Mwamba R.C.
The league also has international players in its ranks with 5 fijians and 2 Ugandans plying their trade for Kabras Sugar.
Other notable international stars are Ugandans and Cameroonians who ply their trade at Kenya Harlequins and Nondies respectively.
All the Kenya Cup clubs are based in the capital city Nairobi apart from Kabras Sugar, Western Bulls and Nakuru whom are in Kakamega and Nakuru respectively. Nakuru is 120KM away from the capital city, while Kakamega is 400KM away from Nairobi.
It is important to note that Kenya Harlequins and Impala Saracens have relationships with their parent clubs in the U.K, Harlequins and Saracens where they go for exchange programs and tactical assistance to improve their overall performance.
The Kenya Cup's main revenue streams come from broadcast rights and gate collection where local cable t.v company ZUKU showcases the games live every weekend.

ERIC SHIRLEY SHIELD (E.S.S)
Due to clubs having a strong player base of 65 players on average for a training session, not all players can make the match day 23 for the various Kenya Cup squads, hence the Eric Shirley Shield was formed to cater for players who are fit, and need gametime.
It was also a platform to identify upcoming players who then transition to the main Kenya Cup league.
The Eric Shirley Shield comprises of the second teams of all the main teams in the Kenya Cup.
These include Kabras 2, Homeboyz 2, Nakuru 2, Mwamba 2, Western Bulls 2 and so forth.
The E.S.S league was also formed to create competition for player slots and keep the Kenya Cup players on their toes, since there are many players who want a chance to play, and hence showcase their stuff in the E.S.S.

THE CHAMPIONSHIP
The top two teams in this league get promotion to the Kenya Cup the next season, while the bottom two are relegated to the championship.
This league consists mostly of varsities and regional teams to cater for the growing rate of the game in the country.
This league also comprises of twelve teams which are Kisii R.C, USIU, Catholic Monks, Mombasa R.C, University of Eldoret, Thika, Coast Pirates, Kisumu, Moi University, JKUAT, KEMU and Bungoma Sharks.
The format played here is similar to the Kenya Cup and caters to the county teams who all want to play the beautiful game but are too far from Nairobi.

NATIONWIDE
The nationwide league is the fourth tier competition in the Kenyan rugby scene and has around 100 teams catering to the different provinces.
It is divided into six different regions inclusive of Nairobi.
The six different regions are Nyanza, Western, Coast, Rift Valley, Central and Nairobi.
Nairobi is the only region which has a clubs and Varsities section while the other regions are solely club sections.
The two finalists from this league are promoted to the Championship, while the bottom two are relegated to Nationwide.

WOMEN'S LEAGUE
It is important to note that there is also a women's league which runs from January to March and is played in a ten- aside format.
This league is where the Kenya 7s women Olympian team who represented the country in Rio de Janeiro Brazil were selected from.
Kenya womens rugby is the 2nd strongest in Africa always giving South Africa a run for its money.

An u-19 league is also set to commence in the country to produce a strong u-19 team to represent the country against Zimbabwe,Namibia and Uganda, who are the main rivals of Kenya outside of South Africa.

Other notable tournaments in the country include :Bamburi Super Series(Franchise rugby like Super rugby), Grand Slam, Enterprise Cup, Nakuru 10 - a side, Impala Floodlights, Kings of Rugby universities, National 7's circuit and the Safari 7's which is Africa's premier 7's tournament attracting crowds of over 40,000 in a single day. :)

Below is a photo of Kenya Harlequins and Impala Saracens, also known as the Ngong Road derby.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 1239564069
Last edited by Neptune on Tue, 03 Jan 2017, 15:39, edited 8 times in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: RUGBY IN KENYA

Postby iul » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 15:55

The claim about Kenya having 6 million rugby players sound like utter bullshit to me. :)

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 16:22

What happened to the Bamburi series?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 09:37

iul wrote:The claim about Kenya having 6 million rugby players sound like utter bullshit to me. :)

I agree, that is why I said an estimated. It could be more or less, but the main point being we have the numbers due to our high population. You must also understand the 45M was the estimated number after the 2013 national census. The numbers could have risen by now. Thanks. :)

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 09:40

Sables4EVA wrote:What happened to the Bamburi series?

The bamburi Franchise super series is currently on a go slow, after the main sponsor Bamburi Cement opted out. The last tournament was played in 2014, but we are hoping a major sponsor will come on board and revive it, most likely Sportpesa. It had adopted a Super rugby format where Kenya cup teams would be put in groups of 3 and the best players are selected to form a franchise. The Simba XVs was also a major beneficiary of the franchise rugby system.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 09:43

Neptune wrote:
iul wrote:The claim about Kenya having 6 million rugby players sound like utter bullshit to me. :)

I agree, that is why I said an estimated. It could be more or less, but the main point being we have the numbers due to our high population. You must also understand the 45M was the estimated number after the 2013 national census. The numbers could have risen by now. Thanks. :)

This interactive map contains the data from World Rugby: http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=6753
According to them Kenya has 42k players. That's a realistic number. Having millions of players is just a fantasy.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 09:47

iul wrote:
Neptune wrote:

This interactive map contains the data from World Rugby: http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=6753
According to them Kenya has 42k players. That's a realistic number. Having millions of players is just a fantasy.

I wasn't so good in Mathematics, but 42K kind of seems on the lower end. I guess 70K can cut it. Check above, but you must understand, most of the information here, you can never find it on google or wikipedia. You must be a Kenyan citizen in rugby circles to actually know what is going on. :) :thumbup: :D
Last edited by Neptune on Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 09:51

iul wrote:
Neptune wrote:

What are the numbers in Romania? Im sure you guys are also doing good down there, based on your rankings.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 10:14

Neptune wrote:
iul wrote:
Neptune wrote:

What are the numbers in Romania? Im sure you guys are also doing good down there, based on your rankings.

Officially about 9k, in reality less, maybe 4-5k by my estimates.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 10:29

iul wrote:
Neptune wrote:
iul wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Officially about 9k, in reality less, maybe 4-5k by my estimates.

Did you get to find out what happened to our test match? We had initially wanted to play Romania in Nairobi, but after talking it out we decided on Bucharest, but it never happened. Could you be knowing what the problem was?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 11:25

I also have to say, that the numbers seem very, very unrealistic. 4 Million? That's probably the worldwide number combined. 120 player at a training session?
I've seen 70 people at practice at an amateur club and it was already a catastrophy. :roll:

Don't undermine your own credibility by posting something like this. Apart from that thanks for the interesting insights.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 11:30

RugbyLiebe wrote:I also have to say, that the numbers seem very, very unrealistic. 4 Million? That's probably the worldwide number combined. 120 player at a training session?
I've seen 70 people at practice at an amateur club and it was already a catastrophy. :roll:

Don't undermine your own credibility by posting something like this. Apart from that thanks for the interesting insights.

Rugbyliebe, I agree i made an error, that is why i have put the estimate to 1million. It could be less, but the 120 people at a club is true, bcoz the Kenya Cup clubs train with the age grade players plus the womens teams bringing at least 120 people together on a good training session.
Although the numbers could be + or -, but i guarantee you, these are the facts on the ground. Thanks

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 11:37

Neptune wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:I also have to say, that the numbers seem very, very unrealistic. 4 Million? That's probably the worldwide number combined. 120 player at a training session?

Rugbyliebe, I agree i made an error, that is why i have put the estimate to 1million. It could be less, but the 120 people at a club is true, bcoz the Kenya Cup clubs train with the age grade players plus the womens teams bringing at least 120 people together on a good training session.
Although the numbers could be + or -, but i guarantee you, these are the facts on the ground. Thanks

So how the hell do you coach a semi-pro club practice with 120 kids, women and men "running around" on a single pitch at the same time? (and this is really not meant offending: if you should have dyscalculia, that's alright.)

From a joking perspective, your mauls must be impressive :D
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 11:49

Neptune wrote:

Definitely less than one million. 120 people together at training? Does not sound plausible. Women's clubs in Kenya struggle to get together 10 players at training - 15 players is a good day - so they certainly don't boost the numbers.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 12:12

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Definitely less than one million. 120 people together at training? Does not sound plausible. Women's clubs in Kenya struggle to get together 10 players at training - 15 players is a good day - so they certainly don't boost the numbers.

You are a Ugandan lady, what i can advise you is when the women's league begins in January, take a flight from Entebbe and land in Nairobi and you can count physically for yourself. This page's main aim was to show the scenario of rugby in Kenya. Please, I don't want to argue. Just come over to Nairobi Ugrugbychiclet.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 12:35

Kenya must be in Africa like Georgia in Europe, the fastest growing rugby nation.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 12:39

amz wrote:Kenya must be in Africa like Georgia in Europe, the fastest growing rugby nation.

Yes it is. It is growing at a very fast rate. If we manage to make it to RWC 2019, the president can even make a holiday for the nation. When the 7s team won in Singapore during the HSBC 7s series, the president personally invited all the players to state house. He is a very ardent follower of rugby, although the government doesn't do enough in terms of financials.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 12:51

Are you happy now? :) Kindly check above. Important to note is that rugby in Kenya is not amateur neither is it proffesional, it is semi - professional. Contracts are normally given by the union depending on the assignment at hand, for example during the HSBC 7s series and the XVs Vodacom Cup where Kenya participated.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 19 Dec 2016, 21:03

I was never unhappy about anything ;-)
I'm still curious tbh:
How do have a practice with 120 people on the pitch?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 08:48

RugbyLiebe wrote:I was never unhappy about anything ;-)
I'm still curious tbh:

Sorry about that, was an error on my part. The actual numbers are 65. This is inclusive of the senior team, 2nd team, Age grade and women's rugby who are all catered to by their different coaches. :)

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 10:02

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Neptune wrote:You are a Ugandan lady, what i can advise you is when the women's league begins in January, take a flight from Entebbe and land in Nairobi and you can count physically for yourself. This page's main aim was to show the scenario of rugby in Kenya. Please, I don't want to argue. Just come over to Nairobi Ugrugbychiclet.

I am not arguing. Just pointing out some facts. I do travel to Kenya (Nairobi, Machakos, Nakuru) sometimes. I have even played there 8-) I also have friends among the Kenyan women players and know some of their coaches so I do know what I am talking about. Only Nakuru Club consistently has 15 or more players at training.

Neptune wrote:
I'm still curious tbh:

Sorry about that, was an error on my part. The actual numbers are 65. This is inclusive of the senior team, 2nd team, Age grade and women's rugby who are all catered to by their different coaches. :)

Glad you cleared that up. :thumbup: 65 is way more realistic than 120 ...

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 11:02

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Neptune wrote:You are a Ugandan lady, what i can advise you is when the women's league begins in January, take a flight from Entebbe and land in Nairobi and you can count physically for yourself. This page's main aim was to show the scenario of rugby in Kenya. Please, I don't want to argue. Just come over to Nairobi Ugrugbychiclet.

I am not arguing. Just pointing out some facts. I do travel to Kenya (Nairobi, Machakos, Nakuru) sometimes. I have even played there 8-) I also have friends among the Kenyan women players and know some of their coaches so I do know what I am talking about. Only Nakuru Club consistently has 15 or more players at training.

Neptune wrote:
I'm still curious tbh:

So, will you drive from Kampala to Nairobi to watch the women's league? It commences in January. After the EAC protocol was passed, you won't need a visa to be in Kenya. Citizens from Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Kenya can move freely, interact and do business without any hurdles involved.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 19:00

Neptune wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Neptune wrote:
I'm still curious tbh:

So, will you drive from Kampala to Nairobi to watch the women's league? It commences in January. After the EAC protocol was passed, you won't need a visa to be in Kenya. Citizens from Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Kenya can move freely, interact and do business without any hurdles involved.

The roads are still as bad as ever so I definitely will not be enduring 13 hours + of rubbish roads just to watch rugby games. I would have (as I have in the past) if I were coming to play or bringing a team to compete. As for airtickets ... it is cheaper to fly to Dubai than to travel to Nairobi and with the frequent KQ delays it is actually quicker to fly to Dubai too :lol: I will "watch" via facebook updates and also get info directly from the players and coaches involved.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 19:31

Two questions.

1 - who is behind all those number and with what criterea? Looking at that interactive map I must say the Brazilian rugby numbers are correct, about 10k, which is the number of people registered on Brazilian Rugby Union's system. But what about the other countries? Is it a random number the local union provides? If the union wants to do something serious, ok, if not, whatever, the number is what they said?

The world is loaded with fake numbers, because numbers always sound real for people with few knowledge about a subject.

2 - Is rugby in Kenya a middle class sport or something like this or is it a real popular sport among everybody?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 21 Dec 2016, 10:20

victorsra wrote:Two questions.

1 - who is behind all those number and with what criterea? Looking at that interactive map I must say the Brazilian rugby numbers are correct, about 10k, which is the number of people registered on Brazilian Rugby Union's system. But what about the other countries? Is it a random number the local union provides? If the union wants to do something serious, ok, if not, whatever, the number is what they said?

The world is loaded with fake numbers, because numbers always sound real for people with few knowledge about a subject.

2 - Is rugby in Kenya a middle class sport or something like this or is it a real popular sport among everybody?

Hi Victorsra
1. Now, every year, we have a programme known as GIR (Get Into Rugby) programme which tends to introduce numerous numbers of kids to rugby at an early age. The aim is to introduce it to kids as early as 6 years old. Most people of my generation (age 24-30) first touched a rugby ball at age 15 in high school, hence the programme was started to familiarise small kids to rugby and it has been very helpful in adding to the numbers.

Your second question was if rugby is a middle class game. Well from my understanding, initially during the colonial times, it was mainly a white man's sport, and very few black people were allowed to play it, but after independence in 1963, the sport spread like wildfire and currently, the GIR programme focuses on the kids in the very poor slum areas, bcoz, that is where the numbers are. Kibera slum in Nairobi is one of the biggest slums in Africa, and kids are enticed with snacks and food in -order to come and at least play.
Most people living in the slums can barely afford a meal in a day, so majorly the kids come to eat lunch as they play rugby.
Another organisation assisting the growth of rugby in africa is Bhupesi Pride. They travel around African countries spreading the gospel of rugby.
Visit http://rugbyinafrica.org/ for more information on Bhupesi and it's role of rugby in Africa.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum