Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Kenya

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: RUGBY IN KENYA

Postby Samfin » Wed, 21 Dec 2016, 14:02

Hi Neptune

Does the Kenya rugby union receive a world rugby grant similar to the one Columbia has just received?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 08:57

Samfin wrote:Hi Neptune

Does the Kenya rugby union receive a world rugby grant similar to the one Columbia has just received?

Hi Samfin

Im not sure about the world rugby grant, since the union always keeps it's financials and bank statements secret.
What I do know is most of the funding comes from corporate sponsors. For the next five years, betting firm SportPesa have sponsored the union to the tune of
6 million dollars. There could be some world rugby grants, but i wouldn't know the correct figures.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 12:12

Hopefully in the June and November 2017 windows, we can get test matches from Romania, Uruguay, Canada, Germany, Russia, U.S.A, Belgium and the southern pacific islands. Most likely looking at Tonga and Samoa. That would be really great for us. Hopefully, someone who is reading this thread can act on this.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 18:04

I do know that the KRFU gets 10 times more grant money from world rugby than the ZRU due to the core status of the Kenyan 7s side.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 10:22

Sables4EVA wrote:I do know that the KRFU gets 10 times more grant money from world rugby than the ZRU due to the core status of the Kenyan 7s side.

It's now KRU, the rugby governing body decided to do away with the football part. :P . Anyway, I wouldn't know about the financials so, I won't comment on that. How much does the ZRU get?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 24 Dec 2016, 13:45

With the growth of the sport in the country in recent times, private corporations are now planning to build a HPU (high performance unit), since World rugby only does HPU'S for only the 20 participating teams of the RWC.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 25 Dec 2016, 09:18

Sables4EVA wrote:I do know that the KRFU gets 10 times more grant money from world rugby than the ZRU due to the core status of the Kenyan 7s side.

Not sure about the 10x part but KRU and NRU definitely get a lot more money than the other unions. KRU due to it's core status in 7s and NRU due to it's qualification for the world cup. If both unions were to lose those statii it would be catastrophic for them ...

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 25 Dec 2016, 09:21

Neptune wrote:

Hi Samfin

Im not sure about the world rugby grant, since the union always keeps it's financials and bank statements secret.
What I do know is most of the funding comes from corporate sponsors. For the next five years, betting firm SportPesa have sponsored the union to the tune of
6 million dollars. There could be some world rugby grants, but i wouldn't know the correct figures.

Sportpesa came in at the right time for Kenya Rugby. Their new sponsorship deal is great as it covers age grade, women's rugby as well as rugby development. Those sectors were previously ignored.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 27 Dec 2016, 08:45

I do not know the exact figure of the grant that ZRU gets but I know they only get a development grant.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Dec 2016, 08:46

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Neptune wrote:

Hi Samfin

Sportpesa came in at the right time for Kenya Rugby. Their new sponsorship deal is great as it covers age grade, women's rugby as well as rugby development. Those sectors were previously ignored.

Very true, the problem is, there are many corrupt officials in the KRU, who just think of their own personal stomachs rather than rugby. Out of the 607 million they were given this year, I haven't heard any tangid rugby programs that they have done. They have probably stolen that money and bought themselves brand new cars and new houses in the suburbs.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Dec 2016, 09:30

Anyway, let's give them the benefit of doubt and see what they will do with the money. Personally, the XVs team should be in the currie cup, the U-19 team should go for craven week before meeting Zim and Namibia, the women's team should also be going to play in South Africa to improve their game before going to Hong Kong and most importantly, all the players should be paid their salaries, bonuses and allowances. I really hate these stories of always seeing players asking for money that is owed to them, and the union turns a blind eye.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 18:20

Neptune wrote:Anyway, let's give them the benefit of doubt and see what they will do with the money. Personally, the XVs team should be in the currie cup, the U-19 team should go for craven week before meeting Zim and Namibia, the women's team should also be going to play in South Africa to improve their game before going to Hong Kong and most importantly, all the players should be paid their salaries, bonuses and allowances. I really hate these stories of always seeing players asking for money that is owed to them, and the union turns a blind eye.

I am very skeptical on the currie cup issue. The KRU wants to host atleast half of the games to save money which I don't see happening. With the currie cup qualifier been played from April to July, most of the games will clash with test matches and the now expanded Africa Cup. I just don't support facing currie cup teams with second string teams.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 31 Dec 2016, 06:36

Trendsetta wrote:
Neptune wrote:Anyway, let's give them the benefit of doubt and see what they will do with the money. Personally, the XVs team should be in the currie cup, the U-19 team should go for craven week before meeting Zim and Namibia, the women's team should also be going to play in South Africa to improve their game before going to Hong Kong and most importantly, all the players should be paid their salaries, bonuses and allowances. I really hate these stories of always seeing players asking for money that is owed to them, and the union turns a blind eye.

I am very skeptical on the currie cup issue. The KRU wants to host atleast half of the games to save money which I don't see happening. With the currie cup qualifier been played from April to July, most of the games will clash with test matches and the now expanded Africa Cup. I just don't support facing currie cup teams with second string teams.

Kenya's participation in the currie cup is one of the best things to ever happen to XVs rugby. Remember, in 2014, Currie Cup experience is one of the main reasons we defeated Namibia in 2014 and almost qualify for the World cup. Only for bad referring by one Lourens Van Der Merwe who virtually was out to kill Kenya's dreams of an RWC berth. We can always play from January to April, rest in May, then the Africa cup in June. Either way, Kenya doesn't make it past the round robin stage against the strong south african franchise teams, so, we just need the pool games to prepare us fully.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 31 Dec 2016, 07:12

Regarding money, the KRU just received the biggest sports sponsorship in Kenya's history, receiving 607Million from betting firm Sportpesa. The average costs for the last currie cup were 55Million. The money there is more than enough to cater for the team needs, plus the team needs to gel before meeting the other 5 african opponents. Slaying the Namibians should be our main target to get a 2019 RWC berth.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 31 Dec 2016, 09:54

607m US dollars or local currency?

Postby DRL » Sat, 31 Dec 2016, 12:29

thatrugbyguy wrote:607m US dollars or local currency?

I guess its 607m Kenia Shilling. Thats about 5.5m Euro.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 05:56

607 million Kenya shillings, and with the current rate of 100 for the dollar to the Kenyan shilling, That comes to around 6 million dollars.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 05:58

DRL wrote:

Yes, DRL that's about 5.5M Euros.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 06:11

Neptune wrote:
DRL wrote:

Is that annually or total?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 06:26

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Neptune wrote:
DRL wrote:

It's for a duration of five years, and the money could be tripled, if the teams perform well during these 5 years. The main aim of this was on XVs rugby to get rid of the Namibians. Qualification for RWC 2019 was the main aim, and im sure Kenya will qualify. (Watch this Space) :)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 07:14

Neptune wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
Neptune wrote:
DRL wrote:

It's for a duration of five years, and the money could be tripled, if the teams perform well during these 5 years. The main aim of this was on XVs rugby to get rid of the Namibians. Qualification for RWC 2019 was the main aim, and im sure Kenya will qualify. (Watch this Space) :)

So it's 120m KS a year for 5 years. Not bad. Happy to see the potential for it to triple if theyerform. It's a strong incentive. As you mentioned earlier, it'd be great for them to get into the Currie Cup in the near future. Would bring their ga,e on immensely.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 07:21

Yes, its 120M per team. Hopefully the Kenya U-19 team can now grace the Craven week and also qualify for the Rugby Trophy. The Namibians have been the only thorn in our flesh, but we will deal with them ruthlessly. That is a guarantee.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 01 Jan 2017, 07:47

Namibia and Zimbabwe should be getting scared, because we are extremely hungry for success of the Simba XVs debut in RWC 2019. :lol:

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 02 Jan 2017, 06:30

Kenya have put in bids to play Romania, Canada, Uruguay and Russia before fighting it out with Namibia for a 2019 RWC slot.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby in Kenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 10 Jan 2017, 09:21

Looks like the Kenya Rugby officials have stolen the money meant for currie cup. All our fixtures for this year are just Africa Cup fixtures. So sad :cry:

http://www.kru.co.ke/news/item/3799-ful ... as-in-2017

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum