Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Kenya

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Rugby in Kenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 10 Jan 2017, 10:50

What makes me really mad, is that the greedy union officials cannot even get us a test match during our most important year, which is our qualifying year.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: RUGBY IN KENYA

Postby STMKY » Tue, 10 Jan 2017, 11:28

Neptune wrote:Kenya have put in bids to play Romania, Canada, Uruguay and Russia before fighting it out with Namibia for a 2019 RWC slot.

Then maybe, Kenya, Canada and the United States will arrive in November tests to Russia, because that in June, Russia will play with other neighbors rated Uruguay and Namibia in South America.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Tue, 10 Jan 2017, 19:12

Neptune wrote:What makes me really mad, is that the greedy union officials cannot even get us a test match during our most important year, which is our qualifying year.

I just don't think anyone is stealing money. Its just not feasible to play currie cup at the same time play the expanded Africa Cup fixtures. I was hoping we could play a stronger team than Uganda on June 10 to prepare for the Africa Cup.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 11 Jan 2017, 08:31

Trendsetta wrote:
Neptune wrote:What makes me really mad, is that the greedy union officials cannot even get us a test match during our most important year, which is our qualifying year.

I just don't think anyone is stealing money. Its just not feasible to play currie cup at the same time play the expanded Africa Cup fixtures. I was hoping we could play a stronger team than Uganda on June 10 to prepare for the Africa Cup.

Trendsetta, i play rugby so i know better. You must be a journalist or something. Now listen here and listen good, bcoz im not going to repeat this again, the team has a capacity of 120 Million to spend in a year, and this being our most crucial year, currie cup + at least 4 or 5 tests would have made the team stronger. I have been talking with players, and they were all eager and waiting to be called to play Currie Cup which starts in Mid February. The initial idea was for a 60 man team plus a technical bench of 8 to go down to South Africa. But, looks like this won't happen.

So, you think playing Kenya cup rugby will make us beat Namibia? :?: We needed tactical help from South African franchise sides.
Stop thinking like a Journalist, and put your shoes in a players perspective. :oops:
=

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Jan 2017, 08:57

Neptune wrote: The initial idea was for a 60 man team plus a technical bench of 8 to go down to South Africa. But, looks like this won't happen.

Interesting insights, but this ongoing number things really kills your credibility. To go with a 60-man-team anywhere makes no sense at all. 40 would already be a really big number for a squad, the Jaguares have a squad of 44 for Super Rugby. If Kenya really plans with a 60-man-squad just like the practice with 50+ people, maybe all you need to do is focus on less players to develop them. So what happened to the Currie Cup plans?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 12 Jan 2017, 09:22

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote: The initial idea was for a 60 man team plus a technical bench of 8 to go down to South Africa. But, looks like this won't happen.

Interesting insights, but this ongoing number things really kills your credibility. To go with a 60-man-team anywhere makes no sense at all. 40 would already be a really big number for a squad, the Jaguares have a squad of 44 for Super Rugby. If Kenya really plans with a 60-man-squad just like the practice with 50+ people, maybe all you need to do is focus on less players to develop them. So what happened to the Currie Cup plans?

Those plans were dashed by the union.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 12 Jan 2017, 09:51

Neptune wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Those plans were dashed by the union.

An average rugby team has around 60 players, the 1st 23, 2nd 23 plus the other fringe players to add to the depth of the squad in cases of injury or sickness.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Fri, 13 Jan 2017, 03:48

Neptune wrote:
Trendsetta wrote:

Trendsetta, i play rugby so i know better. You must be a journalist or something. Now listen here and listen good, bcoz im not going to repeat this again, the team has a capacity of 120 Million to spend in a year, and this being our most crucial year, currie cup + at least 4 or 5 tests would have made the team stronger. I have been talking with players, and they were all eager and waiting to be called to play Currie Cup which starts in Mid February. The initial idea was for a 60 man team plus a technical bench of 8 to go down to South Africa. But, looks like this won't happen.

So, you think playing Kenya cup rugby will make us beat Namibia? :?: We needed tactical help from South African franchise sides.
Stop thinking like a Journalist, and put your shoes in a players perspective. :oops:
=

I am not a journalist by the way. As the guru of kenyan rugby, surprisingly you are wrong on most issues. The 120 million each year for five years is for all national teams . The sevens team takes 60m and the other half will go to the Simbas, women rugby, kenya under 19, youth etc. So offcourse the Simbas will get less than 60m each year. You also have the dates wrong for currie cup, the currie cup qualifier starts on April and ends in July not the February that you state.... I think you are confusing the currie cup with the defunct Vodacom cup which used to start in February.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 13 Jan 2017, 08:01

Neptune wrote:
An average rugby team has around 60 players, the 1st 23, 2nd 23 plus the other fringe players to add to the depth of the squad in cases of injury or sickness.

This is not a team. This is called a "club". :D
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 13 Jan 2017, 09:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote:

This is not a team. This is called a "club". :D

Ok rugby liebe. You win. It's called a club lol. :)

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 15 Jan 2017, 07:34

Results from the Kenya Cup matches played yesterday.

Nondies 30 - Blak Blad 12

Strathmore 14 - Impala 29

Machine 19 - Bulls 29

Nakuru 10 - K.C.B 28

Mwamba 32 - Kabras 37

Homeboyz 15 - Kenya Harlequins 10

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 15 Jan 2017, 07:38

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 01 Feb 2017, 09:26

Kenya Simbas XVs provisional 60 man squad who will take a stab at the World cup qualification for Japan RWC 2019

http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0a ... f25bff7d3a

Exciting times ahead, based on the strength of this squad. Hopefully we can qualify as Africa 2 and dislodge our good brothers Namibia.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Wed, 01 Feb 2017, 09:56

No Joshua Chisanga? Is it just domestic players selected?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 01 Feb 2017, 13:01

Neptune wrote:Kenya Simbas XVs provisional 60 man squad who will take a stab at the World cup qualification for Japan RWC 2019

Exciting times ahead, based on the strength of this squad. Hopefully we can qualify as Africa 2 and dislodge our good brothers Namibia.

Good luck!

Sorry for bringing up those numbers again, but is the coach from somewhere else? It really surprises me, that there seems to be such a bad scouting, that they invite 60 players for a training session.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 04 Feb 2017, 09:34

DragonMike wrote:No Joshua Chisanga? Is it just domestic players selected?

The union will ask for his release, but basing from last year, I highly doubt if the Falcons will release him. We will just work with the people who are available.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 04 Feb 2017, 09:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote:Kenya Simbas XVs provisional 60 man squad who will take a stab at the World cup qualification for Japan RWC 2019

Good luck!

Sorry for bringing up those numbers again, but is the coach from somewhere else? It really surprises me, that there seems to be such a bad scouting, that they invite 60 players for a training session.

This is a provisional squad which will be trimmed down to 35. It's just in order to give everyone an opportunity.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 04 Feb 2017, 10:02

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Good luck!

The coach is South African Jerome Paarwater, and is assisted by Charles Ngovi and Dominique Habimana

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 08:59

Kenya Simbas XVs season to start officially in June to play the Africa Gold cup for RWC 2019 Qualification.

an away test verses Hong Kong has also been confirmed. We beat them in Nairobi 34 -10 last year.

http://shujaapride.com/teams/fixture/112/Kenya-XVs/.

All the best to the Simbas.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 10 Mar 2017, 10:45

Kenya Simbas XVs to host Germany in May

http://www.kru.co.ke/news/item/3846-sim ... -confirmed

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 11 Mar 2017, 09:12

Kenya name 40 man squad to start RWC qualification process

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/40-man-k ... -announced

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 11:04

The Kenya Cup Season is about to enter it's playoff stage.
The best 6 teams qualify with 1 and 2 getting bye weekends + home advantage.
So far, here is the league standings

http://www.kenyacup.co.ke/standings/201617-2/

Plus, the remaining matches

http://www.kenyacup.co.ke/upcoming/kenyacup/

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 13:20

Neptune wrote:The Kenya Cup Season is about to enter it's playoff stage.

Where are each of the teams from? All Nairobi or spread across the country? Also, what is the attendance like at games? Are they broadcast at all? And are the players paid? I remember you posting about some Pacific Islanders playing in Kenya, so I suppose some must be. Sorry for all the questions! :lol:

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 09:19

sammo wrote:
Neptune wrote:The Kenya Cup Season is about to enter it's playoff stage.

Where are each of the teams from? All Nairobi or spread across the country? Also, what is the attendance like at games? Are they broadcast at all? And are the players paid? I remember you posting about some Pacific Islanders playing in Kenya, so I suppose some must be. Sorry for all the questions! :lol:

Hi Sammo, I actually like your inquisitive questions and i will be glad to answer all of them. :)

QN 1: Most of the teams are from Nairobi, but in the Kenya Cup league which is the main league in the country, 9 Teams are based in the capital while 3 : Kabras Sugar, Western Bulls and Nakuru are based in Kakamega and Nakuru respectively.

QN 2: The Championship and the Nationwide leagues which are the 2nd and 3rd tier leagues respectively have a majority of teams based in the countryside.

QN 3 : The attendance on average of each match is about 500 people per game, since all the games are played in different venues. There was an idea to host all the Kenya Cup games in one venue to boost the attendance and revenue. The entrance to each match is 3 US Dollars or 300 Kenya Shillings.

QN 4: The games are broadcast on pay t.v channel Zuku, and also on their internet platforms since Zuku is an ISP as well as a pay t.v channel. Problem is, they operate in Eastern Africa only. Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and are now expanding to Ethiopia.

QN 5: Most of the clubs are semi- proffesional. Kabras sugar have the best paid players, that's why they attract talent from the Southern Pacific specifically Fiji. The other foreigners in the league are from Uganda and Cameroon.

NB: I hope i answered all your questions Sam, and remember the stuff i give you can never be found on wikipedia. Hehehe :lol:

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 15:50

The business end of the Kenya cup has reached.
Next Saturday we have the super sixes with Homeboyz and K.C.B qualifying directly for the semis.

I think ill put my money on Homeboyz or Kabras to win the coveted prize.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/kenya-cu ... fs-pairing

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum