Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Increase the RWC to 24 teams

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Increase the RWC to 24 teams

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 16:36

European Leagues need to unscrew themselves. The Lions Tour isn't even over and Aviva has started training camp.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 18:28

Almost as if they are for completely different players ...

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 01:55

if this isn't the proper definition of burnout, then I don't know what is.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 03:14

Ok here's my remodelled qualifying idea. I've only tested this with Europe at the moment but I believe it's adaptable for the other regions. I'll have to double check though.

First things first, the idea is based on all European competitions coming under the branding of the 6 Nations with promotion and relegation between all divisions. Key points:

• Model is based off 8 teams automatically qualifying for RWC instead of the current 12. However the new model can still be altered for use with the current format of 12 auto qualifiers if the 6 nations are removed.

• First qualifying stage begins the year after the last world cup and lasts 2 seasons during the 6 Nations window. Home and Away matches to determine who qualifies for the next stage.
• Second qualifying stage (European Qualifiers) begins in November 2017 with a 4 team tournament featuring the winners of the lowest leagues.
• Third qualifying stage (European Playoffs) begins in June 2018 with an 8 team tournament hosted in a neutral venue over 3 weekends. 2 Pools of 4 with the winners of each pool advancing to RWC, the runners up in each pool progress to the Repechage.
• Fourth qualifying stage is the Repechage tournament in November of 2018. 8 team tournament featuring the runners up from each region (2 x Europe, 2 x Americas, 2 x Africa, 1 x Oceania and 1 x Asia). Played over 3 (or 4) weekends at a neutral venue.
• The first two seasons are locked down, promotion and relegation will recommence after the first stage of qualifying, this gives nations two years to get themselves promoted to a higher division and therefore an easier path for the next world cup cycle.

• Each division is allocated a number of slots for each stage of qualification. The higher the division the more favourable the path is to the world cup.
• Teams who have automatically qualified from the previous world cup they will take up one of the slots allocated to their division.
eg: If England, Ireland, France and Wales automatically qualified from RWC 2015 they will automatically be assigned slots 1 - 4 for 2019, leaving Scotland and Italy to playoff for slot 5 over two legs in 2016 and 2017.

This took a long time to figure out so let me know how this all sounds, I probably missed something along the way and haven't accounted for all potential problems.

Love this idea. Well done!

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 30 Jun 2017, 16:04

sk 88 wrote:Almost as if they are for completely different players ...

The finals were played five weeks ago. Players need rest.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 15:30

Canada or Tonga exclusion from RWC could very well accelerate the expansion. All my prayers go to Spain and Uruguay.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 19:51

Spain only loss to Tonga by a try Last time they played if I remember.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 20:09

NaBUru38 wrote:

By two teams, some of them finished 7 weeks ago.

5 weeks of complete rest is enough, especially when there aren't any games until August and no competitive ones until September! Maybe getting on with it and not spending all their time on holiday is why T1 players are better? Just a thought .... ;)

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 20:17

The establishment doesn't really care about Tonga or Canada, I think.
The big markets in tier 2 are Japan, United States, Brazil, Russia and Germany.

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 20:50

sk 88 wrote:5 weeks of complete rest is enough, especially when there aren't any games until August and no competitive ones until September! Maybe getting on with it and not spending all their time on holiday is why T1 players are better? Just a thought .... ;)

You can't speak for all of T1 on that. They have shorter seasons and more frequents breaks in the southern hemisphere. Maybe that's why SANZAR teams kick the northern hemisphere's ass all the time? Just a thought...

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 21:05

NaBUru38 wrote:The establishment doesn't really care about Tonga or Canada, I think.

The Canadian economy is close to the same size as Brazil's and bigger than Russia's. It's the 10th biggest economy in the world and it's one where rugby is better established than Russia, Brazil or Germany. It's an important market by any measure, for any sport.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 23:22

thatrugbyguy wrote:Spain only loss to Tonga by a try Last time they played if I remember.

Not really. 13-28, although Tonga scored a try in the last minute.

NaBUru38 wrote:The establishment doesn't really care about Tonga or Canada, I think.

The establishment absolutely cares about Canada and Pacific Islanders. Media and fans have a soft spot por Canada because of their amateurish background (and their beards) and the lack of any of the Pacific nations would ignite a movement for the protection of these teams in future tournaments, regardless of their mismanagement or corruption.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 01:02

Canadian market is big, strong and solid for rugby. It is up to Rugby Canada to start being serious about having proper development and commercial plans. Brazilian Rugby just growed quickly because we have those two things better than most countries that have or had a stronger rugby than us. Just this.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 02:53

sk 88 wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

By two teams, some of them finished 7 weeks ago.

5 weeks of complete rest is enough, especially when there aren't any games until August and no competitive ones until September! Maybe getting on with it and not spending all their time on holiday is why T1 players are better? Just a thought .... ;)

Rugby and Football are the most destructive team sports. The NFL has a 4 month off season. Time for Rugby to get with it if Player Welfare is really a thing.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 06:53

Armchair Fan wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Spain only loss to Tonga by a try Last time they played if I remember.

Not really. 13-28, although Tonga scored a try in the last minute.

The establishment absolutely cares about Canada and Pacific Islanders. Media and fans have a soft spot por Canada because of their amateurish background (and their beards) and the lack of any of the Pacific nations would ignite a movement for the protection of these teams in future tournaments, regardless of their mismanagement or corruption.

What Armchair said. If you need further proof you just have to take a look at the RWC qualification to see that this is by far not the case. If nations are really protected it is the Pacific Islanders and that the Americas are still separated is a protection of Canada (+the USA).

Also the economy part about Canada (10th biggest in the world) is really important.
From this point of view and where Canada, a former quarter finalist, comes from you have to say that actually Canada is the most underperforming nation with the biggest downward spiral.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum