Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Potential change in residency rule

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Potential change in residency rule

Postby Figaro » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 08:28

Thomas wrote:Wales also had Jason Jones-Hughes for the World Cup of 1999 and he was allowed to play almost immediately as it was deemed that he had not played a full international for Australia.

But Jones-Hughes qualified for Wales through his parents, so was not a project player either - irrespective of whether or not he should have been tied to Australia, his ability to play for Wales wasn't based on a 3-year professional residency.

ihateblazers wrote:Only the central contract union pro system can have project players. For example The Welsh teams were all privately owned and so the wru can't mandate project players like Ireland and Scotland. Same with England, France and all other privatley owned pro clubs. Maybe in England some clubs would sign players with the goal of taking them off their foreign player quota or rather on to their England qualified pay out system. But no where as ridiculous as Scotland and Ireland the abusers of the system

Yes I think you are onto something there, although there are some incentives - the Welsh regions are allowed one (or perhaps two) "timeservers" in their matchday squads, who are explicitly non-Welsh players who might obtain WQ status in the future; the quotas (I think there is something like a maxiumum of 5 NWQ players in the matchday 23) encourage the regions to sign players who are WQ or who could still obtain it over those who have a few caps for another country. But in terms of genuine "projects" who are signed explicitly in order to fill a gap in the squad, no, that hasn't happened (although now the Dragons are centrally owned by the WRU that could change).

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 09:42

ihateblazers wrote:Only the central contract union pro system can have project players. For example The Welsh teams were all privately owned and so the wru can't mandate project players like Ireland and Scotland. Same with England, France and all other privatley owned pro clubs. Maybe in England some clubs would sign players with the goal of taking them off their foreign player quota or rather on to their England qualified pay out system. But no where as ridiculous as Scotland and Ireland the abusers of the system

Ah, good knowledge. Thanks for the explanation.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Tue, 02 Jan 2018, 16:33

There seams to be a lot of scrambling happening before 3 year rule becomes 5 years in 2019.
A few unions seem to be signing players up now.
A lot of players from unions with less money are saying they would love to play for England,Scotland etc recently,even Brad Shields turned down an all black jersey,for the chance to play for England,this would have been unheard of a few years ago,a nzler turning down an all blacks jersey.
Eddie Jones is someone who plays the media to his own tune,he is quoted as saying i will pick anyone that wants to play for England,they can either say yes or no.Off cause they are all going to say yes with the $$ that England have.And then you have players coming out saying i havent really thought about playing for whatever adopted country,when they know full well the $$ on offer.
There needs to be common fair ground here,you cannot buy players to win international rugby matches,its rediculous,and hopefully this 5 year residency will be a good thing for the international game.

Postby 4N » Tue, 02 Jan 2018, 16:42

Brad Shields is eligible for England on ancestry. Not a residency case.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Wed, 03 Jan 2018, 02:43

y 4N » Tue, 02 Jan 2018, 16:42
Brad Shields is eligible for England on ancestry. Not a residency case.

I did know that,I should have stated that in my thread.Point i was trying to make was he turned down an all blacks jersey,hardly anyone has ever done that,which made Steve Hanson blood boil.
Even the parental rule is bit dubious to me.There was a young Wales player who scored 2 tries against ireland in an under age game,got picked up straight after[irish parantage] by Ireland and contracted to school or union in some way.The kid was like 17.Not many morals by many unions anymore,but i suppose you do anything to gain an advantage.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 04 Jan 2018, 08:57

After all my bluster about Wales not generally having project players, they went and capped Hadleigh Parkes last month on the day he became eligible! Though I suppose it's a small defence that there was no suggestion three years ago that he was being signed with a view to representing Wales, any more than any of the other foreigners at the regions.

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 04 Jan 2018, 10:49

Figaro wrote:After all my bluster about Wales not generally having project players, they went and capped Hadleigh Parkes last month on the day he became eligible! Though I suppose it's a small defence that there was no suggestion three years ago that he was being signed with a view to representing Wales, any more than any of the other foreigners at the regions.

Such a joke. Plenty of homegrown centres who could be picked ahead of him. Expecty Mcnicholl to be in the 2019 squad as well. I'd rather see the team lose with homegrown/ancestry players than win with residency players.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 08 Jan 2018, 09:01

ihateblazers wrote:
Figaro wrote:After all my bluster about Wales not generally having project players, they went and capped Hadleigh Parkes last month on the day he became eligible! Though I suppose it's a small defence that there was no suggestion three years ago that he was being signed with a view to representing Wales, any more than any of the other foreigners at the regions.

Such a joke. Plenty of homegrown centres who could be picked ahead of him. Expecty Mcnicholl to be in the 2019 squad as well. I'd rather see the team lose with homegrown/ancestry players than win with residency players.

There were other centres, and many were actually selected in the squad, but were injured by the fourth test, e.g. Tyler Morgan and Owen Watkin; also because it was outside the test window foreign-based players were ineligible which ruled out Owen Williams and Jamie Roberts (though Parkes was named in the squad from the start so he was obviously going to be picked). I am pretty ambivalent about it though. My heart says it feels wrong, though my head says that if the other countries are doing this then why should we handicap ourselves by not doing? Parkes has been the form centre in Wales for the past two years and Centre is a position of real weakness for Wales, with few established options and those we have are both inconsistent and injury prone. I am not so sure McNichol will ever be capped as there are a lot more back 3 options in Wales.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum