Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

SUPER RUGBY 2017

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: SUPER RUGBY 2017

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 13:06

For TV money so that at least three nations are represented in the playoffs. Not a nice answer but a contest in which there is no realistic prospect of an Oz side making the playoffs is one that might be an even harder sell for their market.

And also so the conferences are relevant. If it was purely based on points it would be a bit strange of you won your conference and were eliminated.

I wouldn't have a problem with home advantage being based on ranking rather than winning a conference. Particularly for a side that lost more than they won, like the Brumbies.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Jul 2017, 16:22

Congrats Sunwolves! Isn't this the first Japanese win over a NZ professional team?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:56

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:For TV money so that at least three nations are represented in the playoffs. Not a nice answer but a contest in which there is no realistic prospect of an Oz side making the playoffs is one that might be an even harder sell for their market.

And also so the conferences are relevant. If it was purely based on points it would be a bit strange of you won your conference and were eliminated.

I wouldn't have a problem with home advantage being based on ranking rather than winning a conference. Particularly for a side that lost more than they won, like the Brumbies.

Unfortunately money is the deciding factor but it is sad it overrules improving the quality of the competition and i think this is why people have lost interest.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum