Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

SUPER RUGBY 2017

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: SUPER RUGBY 2017

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 00:33

thatrugbyguy wrote:I just don't understand how that model wasn't considered in the first place. 10 inter group games, 3 games each from the other 2 conferences. Simple.

Logic and SANZAAR. Never the two shall meet.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 13:14

carbonero wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote: Lets think this through: why not? Its not that Super Rugby goes on forever. It goes just half the year, which is not that long for a pro-sport. They are professionals. That's their job.

If the player is out of contract, he can go wherever he wants. Expansion drafts are exclusively for players under contract. And if you ship one of your players to Tokyo/Buenos Aires/Port Elizabeth without his approval, you are breaching the conditions of his contract.

So what if you change the contracts? Okay, maybe an Argentinian player earns less than an Australian player. Could be fixed with a set amount of location premiums. I am not saying this should be introduced. But the idea actually sounds not too bad, the more I think about it. Especially for franchise systems.

Is anybody on here an expert of the history of the drafts in the US-major-leagues and how they came into being?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 17:49

RugbyLiebe wrote:So what if you change the contracts? Okay, maybe an Argentinian player earns less than an Australian player. Could be fixed with a set amount of location premiums. I am not saying this should be introduced. But the idea actually sounds not too bad, the more I think about it. Especially for franchise systems.

Is anybody on here an expert of the history of the drafts in the US-major-leagues and how they came into being?

Super Rugby doesn’t work like the US leagues.

The NBA/NFL owns the contract of each player. That means the player signs a contract both with the league and with their franchise. Getting traded, being released or leaving through an expansion draft are events stipulated in their collective bargaining agreement.

If Super Rugby wants to go through that path, players will have to sign their contracts with SANZAAR. Why don’t they do that? It’s extremely expensive. The players are going to demand more money because of the threat of being shipped away. You would have to raise the salary of every single player in Super Rugby. It's impracticable

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 21:06

I belive the problem for that is to be transnational. The Super Rugby commercialization in each country is different and made by each of the unions, right? I don't know how they work to sell TV rights outside the 5 countries and how they split the money. But the big difference is that NBA/NHL/MLB/NFL don't have national unions with their own interests between the league and the franchises and this changes all.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 08:28

Another huge comeback from the Crusaders against Blues.They know how to stage a drama...

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 23:37

Bulls v Sunwolves match report: http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwolves/ ... -sunwolves The Sunwolves were once again made to pay for their errors in Pretoria. We look at the positives from the weekend's match. #Sunwolves #SuperRugby #JRugbyPodcast #rugbyjp #Bulls

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 08:31

NEW EPISODE OUT NOW! Please listen on http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/ We talk to Kyodo news journalist, RIch Freeman, about the Sunwolves season so far, our best 15, and outstanding issues surrounding the squad. We also delve into Jamie Joseph's recent comments on taking over from Eddie, the rise of Chinese rugby, and whether Ayumu Goromaru will ever play for Japan again. Picture provided by fsg-art.jp/rugby/

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 09:26

Team News: Sunwolves v Stormers - six changes for the weekend's clash in Singapore. http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwolves/ ... v-stormers #Sunwolves #SuperRugby #JRugbyPodcast #rugbyjp #rugby

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum