Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

SUPER RUGBY 2017

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: SUPER RUGBY 2017

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 00:33

thatrugbyguy wrote:I just don't understand how that model wasn't considered in the first place. 10 inter group games, 3 games each from the other 2 conferences. Simple.

Logic and SANZAAR. Never the two shall meet.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 13:14

carbonero wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote: Lets think this through: why not? Its not that Super Rugby goes on forever. It goes just half the year, which is not that long for a pro-sport. They are professionals. That's their job.

If the player is out of contract, he can go wherever he wants. Expansion drafts are exclusively for players under contract. And if you ship one of your players to Tokyo/Buenos Aires/Port Elizabeth without his approval, you are breaching the conditions of his contract.

So what if you change the contracts? Okay, maybe an Argentinian player earns less than an Australian player. Could be fixed with a set amount of location premiums. I am not saying this should be introduced. But the idea actually sounds not too bad, the more I think about it. Especially for franchise systems.

Is anybody on here an expert of the history of the drafts in the US-major-leagues and how they came into being?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 17:49

RugbyLiebe wrote:So what if you change the contracts? Okay, maybe an Argentinian player earns less than an Australian player. Could be fixed with a set amount of location premiums. I am not saying this should be introduced. But the idea actually sounds not too bad, the more I think about it. Especially for franchise systems.

Is anybody on here an expert of the history of the drafts in the US-major-leagues and how they came into being?

Super Rugby doesn’t work like the US leagues.

The NBA/NFL owns the contract of each player. That means the player signs a contract both with the league and with their franchise. Getting traded, being released or leaving through an expansion draft are events stipulated in their collective bargaining agreement.

If Super Rugby wants to go through that path, players will have to sign their contracts with SANZAAR. Why don’t they do that? It’s extremely expensive. The players are going to demand more money because of the threat of being shipped away. You would have to raise the salary of every single player in Super Rugby. It's impracticable

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 21:06

I belive the problem for that is to be transnational. The Super Rugby commercialization in each country is different and made by each of the unions, right? I don't know how they work to sell TV rights outside the 5 countries and how they split the money. But the big difference is that NBA/NHL/MLB/NFL don't have national unions with their own interests between the league and the franchises and this changes all.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 08:28

Another huge comeback from the Crusaders against Blues.They know how to stage a drama...

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Mon, 20 Mar 2017, 23:37

Bulls v Sunwolves match report: http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwolves/ ... -sunwolves The Sunwolves were once again made to pay for their errors in Pretoria. We look at the positives from the weekend's match. #Sunwolves #SuperRugby #JRugbyPodcast #rugbyjp #Bulls

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 08:31

NEW EPISODE OUT NOW! Please listen on http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/ We talk to Kyodo news journalist, RIch Freeman, about the Sunwolves season so far, our best 15, and outstanding issues surrounding the squad. We also delve into Jamie Joseph's recent comments on taking over from Eddie, the rise of Chinese rugby, and whether Ayumu Goromaru will ever play for Japan again. Picture provided by fsg-art.jp/rugby/

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 09:26

Team News: Sunwolves v Stormers - six changes for the weekend's clash in Singapore. http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwolves/ ... v-stormers #Sunwolves #SuperRugby #JRugbyPodcast #rugbyjp #rugby

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 06:19

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Sat, 25 Mar 2017, 15:04

Sunwolves 31 - 44 Stormers - The Sunwolves let a 14 point lead slip and go into a two week break with plenty to ponder. Check out our match report here: http://www.jrugbypodcast.com/sunwolves/ ... 4-stormers #Sunwolves #SuperRugby #JRugbyPodcast #rugbyjp

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 06:08

Top 4 - all of different color - bests in groups

Next 4 (wild cards) - three black | gold + one green | blue

Postby DRL » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 11:50

Blues in the Playoffs with 11 Points
Sharks out of the Playoffs with 17 Points.
All whats going wrong in SuperRugby in a nutshell.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 11:59

That is absurd. This is starting to remind me of when rugby league expanded their world club championship to include all Australia and UK teams. The dominance of the Australian teams was such that even thought Penrith won all 6 group matches due to the rules and how the conferences were put together St Helens qualified for the playoffs instead having lost all 6 group matches.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 15:05

Great work by the Jaguares. They are more experiences, and the loss of a few players to Europe and for injury hans't affected them too much.

By the way, the Brumbies and Chiefs have a more difficult list of rivals than the Sharks.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 15:22

The Jaguares have certainly improved, but they are also benefiting from the growing trend of teams resting their best players for the trip to Buenos Aires.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 09:09

DRL wrote:Blues in the Playoffs with 11 Points
Sharks out of the Playoffs with 17 Points.
All whats going wrong in SuperRugby in a nutshell.

It is in large part a problem caused by the usage of conventional league tables like the one above. Standings should be presented by the media as the four conferences. For example, the Sharks and Blues are not competing for the same playoff spot so to have them on the same table makes little sense.

It is almost like the media is wilfully trying to undermine the competition by presenting standings in as confusing a manner as possible. It would never be laid out like that for American football, a sport that Fox cover extensively.

No offence to anyone taking the time to post the table, of course. You can only replicate what the media produce.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 10:03

Bruce_ma_goose

As I've stated NUMEROUS times, I DO just ONE table
and it shows EXACTLY - WHO stands WHERE at ANY moment

FOR stating SAME I was abused at Wiki last year by a grapho-maniac
WHO as I suspect, was a ghost-poster on behalf of SANZAAR stuff

I HOPE you are NOT that same person

BUT if you ARE, leave ME alone :!:

URGE SANZAAR to right their SYSTEM, instead

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 10:47

Western Force look to be on the chopping block.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 11:01

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Bruce_ma_goose

While your table as absolutely accurate, Bruce does have a point. If you don't play each other as often as others a united table is kind of useless - apart from the lucky "not conference winners". Does it really have to be a united table?

Apart from that I blame NZ that this stupid rule (just one from SAC as a wild card team) came into being. Again one of the "every thing has to be so just, we don't understand the rules anymore"-bullshit that is sometimes going on in rugby, in this case combined with the Kiwi-issue "we are the best, and if we aren't the best, something is wrong".
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 13:30

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Bruce_ma_goose

Apologies, I didn't realise it was yours. I assumed it came from Fox. And, no I'm not some kind of weird stalker type.

SANZAAR are just trying to devise a tournament that stands any chance of having enough TV money to retain their international players in 5 years time, rather than being a competition containing, at best, fringe international players.

They have obviously anticipated that moves like the Chiefs losing Cruden, Lowe and coach Rennie to Europe at the end of this season will become even more commonplace with the big French and English TV deals.

It's about trying to generate and secure Japanese and South American TV money, not about ruining a competition. Hopefully in the next few months they will announce some tweaks to the system that might improve it.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 09:36

NEW EPISODE OUT NOW: We talk to the Sunwolves fly half, Hayden Cripps, about the season so far, his rise from the second division to Super Rugby, and who in the squad is the best rapper! Please listen on our website www.jrugbypodcast.com on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/…/23-hayden-cripps-sunwolves-and-lif… or on I-tunes: https://itunes.apple.com/…/pod…/jrugby-podcast/id1150983225… Photo provided by Hayden Cripps. #Sunwolves #SuperRugby #rugbyjp #JRugbyPodcast

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 17:05

Bruce_ma_goose
no I'm not some kind of weird stalker type.

Thank you, and my sincere apologies for being so JEALOUS

Yes, it's indeed FOX's table which I post on SUN

I make even more colorful one mid-week, both in KA and EN

the latest EN >> http://ovaluri.comxa.com/2017/R3/28_ZERA-05+EN.htm

RugbyLiebe

Yes, they play cross-conference NOT that often, but
still ENOUGH on regular basis,
exactly 5 out of 15 games = ONE THIRD

and the OVERALL, 18-team TABLE shows
who qualifies for PLAY-OFF as per TODAY,
who are on its brink and who threatens whom

+ who are *also runs* and where they actually sit
as REBELS are actually 18th and NOT just 5th in AUS

++ without OVERALL table RUGBY FOLKS should
compare THEMSELVES data from 4 different groups
and keep all THIS in mind

I assume *normal human being* is NOT CAPABLE of DOING this

@

Yours in RUGBY and TABLE-MAKING ... ZG

@

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 18:59

I like the schedule one with the same colour scheme if that's any consolation! :)

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 02 Apr 2017, 08:28

AFTER Round 6 (of 17 with 2 byes per team)

:!: NZL 11-0 AUS so far

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum