Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Pro12 expansion into North America

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Pro12 expansion into North America

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 01:24

The deal for the MLS semi final was that Olympic Stadium could handle 3 cm of snow, any more and they can't use it. The MLS semi was a flexible date so they could use it, but the Grey Cup is a fixed date so the Als can't.

Is Rogers centre going to real grass still? That was the excuse when they kicked out the Argos, but I thought they had cooled off on the idea.

As far as Pro12 in TO... if it didn't basically mean eliminating any chance of a team in a domestic league, I'd be all for it. It could potentially work, although they'd have to stay away for December-February. That's ignoring whether or not TFC would take any more cleats beating up their precious turf, and the scheduling hassles with three team playing from September to the end of November.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 01:46

jonny24 wrote:The deal for the MLS semi final was that Olympic Stadium could handle 3 cm of snow, any more and they can't use it. The MLS semi was a flexible date so they could use it, but the Grey Cup is a fixed date so the Als can't.

Is Rogers centre going to real grass still? That was the excuse when they kicked out the Argos, but I thought they had cooled off on the idea.

I dunno I ain't a Jays fan and ain't up to date on their operations. I think the whole we're Canada's team because we're the only one that the Raptors and Blue Jays run with is completely stupid. I think they determined that installing and growing grass would just be too costly a venture but the plan is to still turn it into a class baseball stadium. That was a big reason for them suffocating the Argos out, though the Argos didn't do themselves any favors but that's not important here, and I can't see them now opening the door to a rugby team after finally getting rid of the Canadian Football team.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 05:00

The obvious choice is if they are looking at Houston then why not make Vancouver the primary base and play some games in Toronto when the weather improves. I get Toronto is the largest market but practicalities need to be considered.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 22:22

If there is going to be an expansion somewhere, I'd say the new teams will need a year or two to get up to speed. I could imagine that they would be playing a lot of friendlies in the year or 6 months before they join. It would take amateur players a few years to catch up with the top professionals in terms of strength and conditioning. Plus there would be a steep learning curve. At least the pro 12 unions have said they'll lend their expertise to any new teams.

Two outside the box contenders are the Swiss and Romanians. the Swiss are tryign to build up Servette and Romania could support a team, though it looks like they're not too interested.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 19:23

Unless P12 is going to shift the season, which isn't likely, Toronto and it's winters are completely unsuitable. Vancouver is the only option that works. They also have a more than suitable venue to start with, Thunderbird stadium. It seats 3500 in the bleachers and 5000 on the terrace. Anyone who thinks that you will draw more than 8500 is living in fantasy land. The biggest draw back between is the extended travel time between YVR and YYZ. Glasgow to Toronto is 7 hours 20 minutes (on AirTransat) and Glasgow to Vancouver is 9 hours 10 minutes. Not an insurmountable difference. The time zone variation is a bit of challenge to but not an overwhelming challenge. Scheduling games at appropriate times to minimize the effect is possible.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 20:21

I can be in Toronto, just calcule. If PRO12 eliminates its November (Tests), February and Early March (6N) matches, the distribution is:

- September: 4/5 rounds
- October: 2/3 rounds (because there are 2 European Cup rounds too)
- December: 2/3 rounds (because there are 2 European Cup rounds too)
- January: 2/3 rounds (because there are 2 European Cup rounds too)
- Late of March: 2 rounds
- April: 3 rounds
- May: 2/3 rounds = playoffs

(between March, April and May there are 3 European Cup rounds = its playoffs)

If the expanded PRO16 would had 16 rounds + playoffs, for exemple, this means 8 matches in Toronto = September + October + Late March/Early April. The Canadians would play away in December and January and a couple of other away matches in the rest of the months. This means less travels, it would work as tours. Even better: all PRO12 players available for the Americas Rugby Championship.

Also the USA team could opt to have all its last matches (those in Late March and Early April) at home to run away from NFL. At least 3 of its 8 home fixtures could be without NFL.

I also read somewhere the PRO12 is studying more Thursday matches, like the Challenge Cup and now Super Rugby. Woudn't it help North America?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum