Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

ARC R5-Championship Match USA-ARG

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: ARC R5-Championship Match USA-ARG

Postby MrBigglesworth » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 15:52

93 years and it's been long overdue !! Hopefully we can keep the momentum building for the summer test matches against Ireland / Georgia and the RWC qualifying matches against Canada.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 21:43

I was quite impressed by the US throughout the tournament in all aspects of the game.

Dan Power on the ESPN coverage announced Argentina as the winner of the tournament on points difference! I think he is the guy who also incorrectly announced the Ohio Aviators as winner of the US PRO rugby tournament. The guy is cursed!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 19:41

Any ideas why the fences were so high on two sides of the field?

ETA: So at the end of the first half during stoppage Argentina is awarded both a penalty try and Te'o is carded for an intentional knock. That seems quite severe, and utterly stupid. This ref was brutal last ARC was well. I've only played the game for three years and watching for ten, but wtf.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 22:12

TheStroBro wrote:Any ideas why the fences were so high on two sides of the field?

ETA: So at the end of the first half during stoppage Argentina is awarded both a penalty try and Te'o is carded for an intentional knock. That seems quite severe, and utterly stupid. This ref was brutal last ARC was well. I've only played the game for three years and watching for ten, but wtf.

The penalty try was simply awarded for a try that would have been scored without the penalty occurring. The yellow was awarded for cynical play with the opposition hot on attack near the line. I do agree that overall it is a harsh sanction for the offense, but it's standard in rugby so no issue with the ref for awarding both there if he thought it was an intentional knock on. I'd have to see it again though, as at the time I thought he made an attempt to catch the ball and that the ball went up, not down.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 22:37

Well, I thought it was unquestionably harsh. I'm not sure they get the try there, and the ball did go up. This ref was this bad last year.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum