Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

What should we expect from a global calendar?

User avatar
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 23:16

What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby Silver Fox » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 10:50

As we all know talks are ongoing about a new global calendar and as World Rugby is to be believed these talks are "in good spirit and highly constructive".
There has to be some sort of outcome because there is no international schedule after the 2019 RWC and there are conflicting interests between unions and clubs with player wellfare the most important victim.

What do we think are issues that are affected by or could be adressed in new agreements?
Some points I think of:
- Align 6N, REC and the ARC in a window where the climatical situation is suited for everyone (April).
- Fit in the African 6N in this window.
- Institute the Asian-Pacfic 6N (Fij-Sam-Ton-Jap-Hkg-Kor).
- Agree not to overlap international windows with domestic competitions.
- Maintain a stricter policy on releasing players for international duty.
- introduce a player 'passport', rate competitions by intensity, and do not allow players to exceed a certain amount of 'Equivalent Playing Time'.
(players should be handed over between unions and clubs with still a certain amount of 'EPT' on their passport left).

World Rugby has no say in the 6N or the RC but it can use the November and June windows to provide more meaningful tests and further integrate Tier 1, 2 and 3 rugby.
- In June instate 2 four team Nations Cup tournaments the winners and runners up of the regional championship tournaments.
- Organize the November internationals based on merit. Take the world rankings after the last game to determine the schedule for next year.

For example:
Code: Select all
Eur1:  RC1  RC2  RC3 
Eur2:  RC1  RC2  5
Eur3:  RC1  RC4  6
Eur4:  RC3  RC4  7
Eur5:  RC2  5    6
Eur6:  RC3  6    7
Eur7:  RC4  7    5
Which according to current rankings would translate in a schedule like:
Code: Select all
England:   South Africa   Australia        New Zealand 
Ireland:    Australia        New Zealand  Fiji
Scotland:  New Zealand  Japan            Argentina
Wales:      Argentina      Tonga            South Africa
France:     Japan            Fiji                Australia
Georgia:   Tonga            South Africa   Japan
Italy:        Fiji                Argentina      Tonga
Expandable with more European hosts and the next teams in the rankings. So Romania and Samoa. Next Russia and the USA, etc.
(I know that home games for Japan and the US have to be fitted in somewhere but I'll leave that for later discussion)
- Agree on some sort of key for sharing revenues so that it benefits both host and visitor.
- For the next teams (in the example roughly between places 15 and 20) WR could organize a 'confederations cup'.
This November schedule should work as an incentive and a reward for climbing the rankings ladder.

I hope I haven't been too cryptic. Any thoughts?

User avatar
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby iul » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 11:58

Not enough t2s getting tests vs t1s in your scheduling system. Every t1 should play a t2/3 in every international window. They could be allowed to do it midweek, if they choose to. So, when NZ comes to Europe they can still play 3 tests vs the 6Ns but they have to squeeze a T2 midweek test as well.

Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 12:06

I can't see any reason why mid-week test matches can't become a regular thing against T2 nations. For instance there's no reason Australia can't play Spain on a Tuesday, followed by France on a Sunday.

Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 19:09

That worked really well for Australia against Scotland last time ...

User avatar
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 23:36

About the November windows, I think that tier 1 teams should play just two tier 1 rivals. Therefore, a third match would be reserved for a tier 2 rival.

Silver Fox wrote: Institute the Asian-Pacfic 6N (Fij-Sam-Ton-Jap-Hkg-Kor).

South Korea performance seems a bit too far below Fiji and Japan.
But I agree that Hong Kong has been ignored for too long.

Silver Fox wrote: Align 6N, REC and the ARC in a window where the climatical situation is suited for everyone (April).

It's anti-climatic for South American unions. I'd prefer to negotiate player releases for June/July and November.

Silver Fox wrote:
- Agree not to overlap international windows with domestic competitions.
- Maintain a stricter policy on releasing players for international duty.

I'm afraid that the French Top 14 and English Premiership won't concede anything in that regard.

Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 03:54

sk 88 wrote:That worked really well for Australia against Scotland last time ...


Australia have played teams like and Cardiff, Gloucester and a few 'A' sides mid-week on and off for the last 15 or so years.

Online
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby Neptune » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 14:21

The main bone of contention would be the tier 1 nations vs t2/3 nations. Why would Ireland leave landsdown road to travel to play Zimbabwe in Harare or Kenya in Nairobi for that matter? What are the incentives for this tour apart from enjoying the Safari wildlife during their free time?
Alternatively, why would Scotland agree for Kenya to play them in Murrayfield? Plus, chances are if it actually happens, they will send an amateur or 3rd string side against a strong Kenya XVs Simbas team.

User avatar
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 15:32

Neptune wrote:The main bone of contention would be the tier 1 nations vs t2/3 nations. Why would Ireland leave landsdown road to travel to play Zimbabwe in Harare or Kenya in Nairobi for that matter? What are the incentives for this tour apart from enjoying the Safari wildlife during their free time?
Alternatively, why would Scotland agree for Kenya to play them in Murrayfield?


Tier 2 countries include Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Namibia, United States, Canada and Uruguay.
I only asked for each tier 1 team to play one November test against one of those.

Posts: 334
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 15:36

Basically my biggest beef with the current calendar and exchange issues is that in the 6N you have full A-Sides playing, but in the ARC we can't even get 2/3 of our international players back for camp. Part of that is the deal the previous CEO made with the Premiership, but a standardized Calendar of three International Test Windows for February/March, June, and November where there is no Premiership/professional play is important.

Online
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby Neptune » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 16:14

NaBUru38 wrote:
Neptune wrote:The main bone of contention would be the tier 1 nations vs t2/3 nations. Why would Ireland leave landsdown road to travel to play Zimbabwe in Harare or Kenya in Nairobi for that matter? What are the incentives for this tour apart from enjoying the Safari wildlife during their free time?
Alternatively, why would Scotland agree for Kenya to play them in Murrayfield?


Tier 2 countries include Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Namibia, United States, Canada and Uruguay.
I only asked for each tier 1 team to play one November test against one of those.


Who asked you for the list of tier 2 countries? Read my quote, then understand what im saying.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 16:57

Neptune wrote:
Who asked you for the list of tier 2 countries? Read my quote, then understand what im saying.


To be honest, I didn't also understand what a fixture in a tier3 country could and what landmarks a tier3 country has, could have to do with the global calendar, when talk was about tier1 nations including at least one test against a tier2 country.

My two cents are - as seen before in my signature - to use the world rankings for those fixtures. To base tier2 nations for four years just because of a RWC-qualification is not doing the growth of rugby just.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Online
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby Neptune » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 17:13

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Who asked you for the list of tier 2 countries? Read my quote, then understand what im saying.


To be honest, I didn't also understand what a fixture in a tier3 country could and what landmarks a tier3 country has, could have to do with the global calendar, when talk was about tier1 nations including at least one test against a tier2 country.

My two cents are - as seen before in my signature - to use the world rankings for those fixtures. To base tier2 nations for four years just because of a RWC-qualification is not doing the growth of rugby just.


I used Kenya as an example. Bottom line is T1 should frequently play T2's and T3's.

Posts: 334
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 17:51

T2 needs T1 tests to generate revenue and increase competition. Yes getting beat by 80 doesn't help, but beating a T3 by 100 doesn't help you either.

T3 needs T2 tests to generate revenue. T1 playing a T3 every year doesn't really help anyone. But once every two years to help generate revenue.

T1 hosting T2 doesn't really do much for anyone.

User avatar
Posts: 1836
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: What should we expect from a global calendar?

Postby iul » Thu, 09 Mar 2017, 07:05

Some info:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11814662
June tests moved to July
6N gets rid of one of the rest weekends

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Neptune and 7 guests