Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Possible Repechege Teams

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Possible Repechege Teams

Postby Neptune » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 12:50

From the look of things, and the way teams are aligning themselves, the teams that will participate in the repechege are already starting to show themselves.
Basing on team strengths and the way they are playing in their regional qualifiers, I think we can come to a conclusion that these should be the possible Repechege teams.

Africa - Either Kenya or Zimbabwe
Asia - Either Hong Kong or South Korea
Europe - Germany, Russia or Spain
Oceania - Tonga or Cook Islands
Americas - Uruguay or Canada

The above indications are just opinion based. Any other corrections or opinions are welcome. Thankyou :)
Last edited by Neptune on Sat, 25 Mar 2017, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Possible Repechege Teams

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 13:10

I think it's more like...
- Namibia/Kenya/Zimbabwe
- Spain/Germany/Russia/Portugal/Tonga
- Uruguay/Canada
- Hong Kong/South Korea

Fiji should be safely qualified and I don't see other Oceania sides right to the required level to beat Asian teams.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 13:24

Armchair Fan wrote:I think it's more like...
- Namibia/Kenya/Zimbabwe
- Spain/Germany/Russia/Portugal/Tonga
- Uruguay/Canada
- Hong Kong/South Korea

Fiji should be safely qualified and I don't see other Oceania sides right to the required level to beat Asian teams.

Namibia are clear favourites to bag the African Gold cup since their toughest games are in Windhoek.
There is a saying in African rugby circles that the Welschwistas in Windhoek are a totally different outfit. Namibia's achilies heel is when they play away.
Apart from that, Portugal are in the REC trophy, so as much as i like the Portuguese, I don't fancy them going through and Tonga are automatic qualifiers from RWC 2015 by virtue of finishing 3rd in their group.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 13:25

Portugal?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 13:36

Neptune wrote:Apart from that, Portugal are in the REC trophy, so as much as i like the Portuguese, I don't fancy them going through and Tonga are automatic qualifiers from RWC 2015 by virtue of finishing 3rd in their group.

Portugal only need to beat REC 2nd qualified team in a single game to enter repechage process. And Tonga aren't automatic qualifiers...

amz wrote:Portugal?

In May 2018 there is a play-off between the second 2017-18 REC team (excluding Georgia) and probably 2017 RET winner (Portugal, after play-off with lower tiers winners). It's hard but not impossible.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 13:42

Armchair Fan wrote:
Neptune wrote:Apart from that, Portugal are in the REC trophy, so as much as i like the Portuguese, I don't fancy them going through and Tonga are automatic qualifiers from RWC 2015 by virtue of finishing 3rd in their group.

Portugal only need to beat REC 2nd qualified team in a single game to enter repechage process. And Tonga aren't automatic qualifiers...

amz wrote:Portugal?

In May 2018 there is a play-off between the second REC team (excluding Georgia) and RET winner (Portugal). It's hard but not impossible.

Okay, ill give Portugal a fighting chance, but even if they make it to the repechege, they will meet opposition who are physically stronger than them. So, ill give them a yes/no #5050chance.

Below is the match we played Portugal in Nairobi beating them with a cool +30 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmYfBX6Xbw

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 14:15

Armchair Fan wrote:I don't see other Oceania sides right to the required level to beat Asian teams.

Never underestimate the power of the Kiw. ehm Cook Islands :D
They could be good enough to beat Korea.

My guess is:
Spain (after a loss against Tonga), Zimbabwe, Uruguay, Cookies

I wish
Tonga (after a defeat to Germany), Kenya, Urugugay, Korea
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 14:19

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:I don't see other Oceania sides right to the required level to beat Asian teams.

Never underestimate the power of the Kiw. ehm Cook Islands :D
They could be good enough to beat Korea.

My guess is:
Spain (after a loss against Tonga), Zimbabwe, Uruguay, Cookies

I wish
Tonga (after a defeat to Germany), Kenya, Urugugay, Korea

What can prevent New Zealanders who play in the Mitre 10 cup, or New Zealands domestic competitions from playing for the cook islands. No one will ever know their originality, since the Cook Islanders carry New Zealand passports. :D

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 14:24

Given the way Canadian rugby is going at the moment I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them lose to Uruguay and end up here.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 14:30

Neptune wrote:What can prevent New Zealanders who play in the Mitre 10 cup, or New Zealands domestic competitions from playing for the cook islands. No one will ever know their originality, since the Cook Islanders carry New Zealand passports. :D

Yeah but still the place of birth is recorded in a passport...and I think it's a smaller issue than African dates of birth ;)

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 14:46

amz wrote:
Neptune wrote:What can prevent New Zealanders who play in the Mitre 10 cup, or New Zealands domestic competitions from playing for the cook islands. No one will ever know their originality, since the Cook Islanders carry New Zealand passports. :D

Yeah but still the place of birth is recorded in a passport...and I think it's a smaller issue than African dates of birth ;)

There were allegations whereby African teams were complaining that the Namibians were hand picking unknown players in the Vodacom cup to represent Namibia during qualifiers and at the World cup. So, it is very possible. The case was never proven though, but investigations were being carried out.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 15:04

Neptune wrote:
amz wrote:

There were allegations whereby African teams were complaining that the Namibians were hand picking unknown players in the Vodacom cup to represent Namibia during qualifiers and at the World cup. So, it is very possible. The case was never proven though, but investigations were being carried out.

Nice to see that our former German colony leads the way of possibilities for a whole continent :lol:
There's still the possibility to cut their legs off and count the tree rings to know their true age :D (as there was a famous German soccer saying about the Ghana international player Anthony Yeboah who had legs like a tree trunk and a questionable birth certificate).
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 17:12

Don't we know the dates and venue of the Oceania Cup? It must lack just few months to the event. I'm curious to see which teams will participate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania_Rugby_Cup

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 07:41

Americas championship should be split into North and South America to give Brazil a chance too to make it to the repechege, plus they should also have their own slot at the World cup table.

Postby Raven » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:24

Neptune wrote:Americas championship should be split into North and South America to give Brazil a chance too to make it to the repechege, plus they should also have their own slot at the World cup table.

No way. There are not that many teams in the Americas in order to do something like that. If Brasil wants more competition as a preparation to the world stage they should have to face the continent´s powerhouses.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:44

Raven wrote:
Neptune wrote:Americas championship should be split into North and South America to give Brazil a chance too to make it to the repechege, plus they should also have their own slot at the World cup table.

No way. There are not that many teams in the Americas in order to do something like that. If Brasil wants more competition as a preparation to the world stage they should have to face the continent´s powerhouses.

This. Make the ARC the qualification tournament. Problem solved.
Also why should Brazil go to the repechage if Spain, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Kenya won't (based on placement of last qualifier)?
From your Kenyan point of view a classical "shoot yourself in the foot" situation what you suggested.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:50

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Raven wrote:

Also why should Brazil go to the repechage if Spain, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Kenya won't (based on placement of last qualifier)?
From your Kenyan point of view a classical "shoot yourself in the foot" situation what you suggested.

Hehehe RugbyLiebe, I like you because of your sarcastic nature. Anyway, sorry Brazil, I had your back but i guess you don't have as many friends as i thought. :lol: . At least now, you know who your real friends are. :P

Postby Raven » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 10:08

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Raven wrote:

Yupp. That might be a foreseeable solution, question perhaps being if the ARC should be a 3 year build up and a qualification tourney on the RWC year, or if it´s a 4 year process with an overall table...

I know it might sound unfair but at the RWC I would want to see the best teams, not the ones that made it because of their weak geographical rival or because they are hosts. When Japan was selected as host some eyebrows were raised asking whether that meant a second Asian team would have the chance to qualify, imagine Hong Kong or South Korea playing any Tier 1 side in the pool stage... Uruguay had at least beaten Russia on aggregate, I bet HK or SK would lose to any of the full strength REC teams, and maybe even some of the Trophy ones, so would Brazil who as a matter of fact not long ago played and lost to Germany & Portugal.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 10:45

Raven wrote:
I know it might sound unfair but at the RWC I would want to see the best teams, not the ones that made it because of their weak geographical rival or because they are hosts.

Here I actually disagree as there's so much funding for a RWC-participant that this alone makes a big difference. Also it is a world cup so every continent should be represented. I think the mixture is key. And apart from the 12 teams already qualified, the ridiculous 4th chance for Oceania and the Americas qualification which heavily favours USA and Canada (even if probably rightful so), the system is not that bad altogether. Complicated, but fair.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 10:59

If the tier 1s are as good as they proclaim to be, WR should just then get rid of the 12 automatic qualifiers and see who still makes it back.
Personally, as much as i love the Scots and the Italians, I don't see them surviving this scenario.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 14:15

Spain, Uruguay, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe.

I think Spain will win their ticket to Japan.
Or maybe Uruguay?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 14:31

Uruguay always has a plus in repechage. All the things that prevent them from being better at world stage (small pool of players, small country, amateur players) help them to do a good warm-up since they can work for three months together. To me they would be the big favourites in such a tournament.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 14:42

From my point of view Spain. They really have the team sport spirit (i saw it in other Spanish successful sports like football, basketball or handball), and this is will count a lot next year. Of course everybody have this because rugby is the ultimate team sport , but Spain got something more when it comes to a team.In previous years they have a lot of problems to retain a core group of players, but now they managed to keep them together. They are dangerous.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 14:55

If Germany would make it there, I am quite sure that we would have a similar preparation to Uruguay. Thanks Capri Sun :D

Apart from that I would also say Uruguay. Spain just IF the repechage tournament preparation doesn't interfere witch French leagues. If it doesn't my money is on them.
Never write off the Africa team, but I don't see them having a preparation like that.

Do we know when exactly this is going to happen? The Europe2-Oceania3-playoff is June 2018.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 14:57

November 2018. French leagues time, then.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum