Moldova 3 - 15 Poland RET 18.03.17

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Moldova 3 - 15 Poland RET 18.03.17

Postby polter » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 23:08

Balti, Moldova

13:30 local time GMT + 2 hours

Will probably be streamed on http://trm.md/ro/tv-on-line/

I’d say this is a difficult one to call. After Poland’s initial 22-0 win against the Ukraine, it became apparent after later games involving the Ukraine that Poland weren’t as good as they thought they were. However, after Poland’s last 35-10 defeat by Portugal, I think the Poles now think they’re not as bad as they thought they were given how Portugal have dealt so easily with every other team in the division. Nevertheless, even after a 59-0 defeat last week, Moldova at home will be a difficult proposition.

There have been a few changes to the Polish team that lost in Lisbon a month ago. This time, the Captain and hooker Kamil Bobryk is unavailable, so Kujawa comes in for his first start. The flanker and line-out jumper Alexander Nowicki is unavailable as is lock/flanker Tomasz Hebda – both French based. Their best back and centre Patrick Reksulak is also ill.

The often injured Karol Perzcak comes back in at lock who will add more size to the boiler room where Stanislaw Powala Niedźwiecki filled in against the Portuguese but this time moves back to his more usual position in the back row. Grzegorz Szczepański makes his debut at centre alongside Gdula in a young midfield. Wojciech Brzezicki also makes his debut on the wing and Gruszczyński, who I believe scored a brace of tries against Sweden the last time he played for Poland, comes in at full back.

After this game, the Poles will have two home games against the greatly improved Dutch team in a brand new stadium in Lodz on the 8th April and then against the surprise package of the division in the form of the Swiss on the 22nd April. Losing both of these games is a distinct possibility and although it looks like the Ukraine will most likely be relegated, Poland will want to make sure they do not wind up in 5th place again, effectively making no progress from last season and being seen as lucky to stay up due the presence of a team in the division having a disastrous season – for the Ukraine this year, think Sweden last time out.

The presence of the Portuguese has been a breath of fresh air to this level and has gone to show that the more modern way of playing rugby at speed can undo the power teams who had engaged in arms races to build big packs to terrorise the rest of the division but now look like dinosaurs with no plan B. You could say that the state of the Moldovan team is not far off that of the Ukraine with a golden generation coming to the end of an era. Poland have brought in South African coaching expertise to try and play more of a modern type of game, but as yet don’t seem to have found the players to execute the plan consistently. However, as is often the case in this division, you never know…

01) Marcin Wilczak - Ogniwo Sopot
02) Łukasz Kujawa - Budowlani Łódź SA
03) Toma Mchedlidze - Budowlani Łódź SA
04) Piotr Karpiński II - Budowlani Łódź SA
05) Karol Perzak - Arka Gdynia
06) Mateusz Bartoszek - SMRC Saint Médard
07) Stanisław Powała-Niedźwiecki - Ogniwo Sopot
08) Piotr Zeszutek (kapitan) - Ogniwo Sopot
09) Dawid Plichta - Budowlani Łódź SA
10) Wojciech Piotrowicz - Ogniwo Sopot
11) Radosław Rakowski - Arka Gdynia
12) Daniel Gdula - Pogoń Siedlce
13) Grzegorz Szczepański (debiutant) - Ogniwo Sopot
14) Wojciech Brzezicki (debiutant) - Budowlani Lublin
15) Sebastian Gruszczyński - KS Budowlani Łódź

16) Adrian Ignaczak - Budowlani Łódź SA
17) Sebastian Kacprzak - Lechia Gdańsk
18) Radosław Bysewski - Arka Gdynia
19) Piotr Wiśniewski (debiutant) - Budowlani Lublin
20) Marek Płonka Jr - Lechia Gdańsk
21) Mateusz Plichta - Ogniwo Sopot
22) Tomasz Rokicki - Pogoń Siedlce
23) Anrian Chróściel - Pogoń Siedlce
Last edited by polter on Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Moldova - Poland RET 18.03.17

Postby thx » Thu, 16 Mar 2017, 20:43

It is very good summary about our group. Moldova still try plays that heavy, based on scrum rugby. We tried it too on Portugal, but they just run around us. I hope Saturday performance will be better, even despite play away.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Her Man » Fri, 17 Mar 2017, 19:22

"The presence of the Portuguese has been a breath of fresh air to this level and has gone to show that the more modern way of playing rugby at speed can undo the power teams who had engaged in arms races to build big packs to terrorise the rest of the division but now look like dinosaurs with no plan B".

Touche. It may be called a bit "bokke" impact of Mr Groenevald. From the other hand he is the man they really need at the moment, absolutely.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby polter » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 08:24

I agree Blikkes and Chris were needed to bring the Polish national team into the modern rugby world. They're also spreading the word by rolling out their knowledge to all the coaches in the country with their well attended seminars.

However, I attended to Portugal-Poland match and although I was impressed by the Portuguese skill, off-loading and speed of play, I was just as impressed by the fact that the stadium was filled by close to 1,000 8 to 12 year old children from the clubs in and around Lisbon who had been playing in a tournament just before the game. I'm sure other countries in this division are trying to grow the bottom of their rugby pyramid with things like tag rugby and getting the sport played more in school, but the Ukraine, Moldova and Poland (especially in Warsaw) are light years off having this kind of base, which looks to be a necessity if a country is to have sustained success in the next division up.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby polter » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 12:24

3-10 to Poland at half time

http://www.tvmd.info/2014/06/tv-moldova-1-live.html

seems to be the best stream but still breaks up a bit.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Her Man » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 12:31

Half-time MOL 3, POL 10.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Her Man » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 13:41

Full time MOL 3 - POL 15

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Moldova 3 - 15 Poland RET 18.03.17

Postby polter » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 13:59

That was an ugly game, but Poland deserved to win.

Both teams were low on skills compared to the Portuguese or Dutch, but Poland had the better ideas in attack with some nice decoy running moves leading to their 2 tries. Their pack also fronted up well and I'd say were on top of the Moldovans for the first time ever. They will take a lot of confidence from this into their last 2 games and a third place in the division would be a great result for this team.

This was the last game of the season for the Moldovans who looked a shadow of their former selves. Next season will be a big test for them as I saw the Czechs play recently and they looked a solid outfit and won't be a push-over at this level. They still have some good players like Mahu and were missing Prepelita and Vadim Cobilas, but again these players are coming to the end of their careers.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 20:55

So now Switzerland, Poland, Moldova and Ukraine are out of the World Cup?

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Her Man » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 21:29

Yes, Canalina, cool guest, it is so. I had been having a sweet dreams some 7 years ago that Poles will take their part in 2019, but they're blown away since 2013, let us say. Yet I am very happy with their performance today.

God bless You all there,

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 22:45

Well played Poland. Good thing there's promotion playoff every year now. I like new format. Old one was too slow and boring.
Poland vs Netherland is going to be an interesting game.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 22:58

Canalina wrote:So now Switzerland, Poland, Moldova and Ukraine are out of the World Cup?

I am not 100% sure but aren't the Netherlands out as well because they lost the game against Portugal?
I remember something that direct results between teams count above regular points if table points are equal.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sun, 19 Mar 2017, 13:06

This is maybe not the place to ask for, but I'm looking for informations about moldovan rugby.
What is national championship's name in Moldova ? At least, does it exists ? I've seen some games versus ukrainians clubs, but Nothing about a national champ. And if it exists, does anyone have a link to a website ? :)

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Her Man » Sun, 19 Mar 2017, 20:24

fullbackace wrote:Well played Poland. Good thing there's promotion playoff every year now. I like new format. Old one was too slow and boring.
Poland vs Netherland is going to be an interesting game.

Absolutely true, word by word.
Brgds

Return to Rugby Forum