Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2019 RWC Draw: 10 May 2017 Kyoto, Japan

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2019 RWC Draw: 10 May 2017 Kyoto, Japan

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 22:29

Some games may start at 6-7 AM by CET. Is that OK? We can do nothing with that. Geography matters.

Nothing different from 2003 or 2011 in rugby. For the Americas Japan is a bit better than NZ. The main All Blacks home matches in the Rugby Championship are at 4h30 here in Brazil! AWFUL. Wallabies and Japan matches are usually at 7 AM. There is not much to do...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 22:32

This is what I came up with pool wise base on current rankings:

A New Zealand, Wales, Georgia, Romania, Russia
B England, South Arica, Japan, Italy, Namibia
C Australia, France Fiji, Samoa, Spain
D Ireland, Scotland, Argentina, Tonga, USA

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 22:42

TheStroBro wrote:This is what I came up with pool wise base on current rankings:

C Australia, France Fiji, Samoa, Spain

I don't think we can have Spain, Romania and Russia, can we?

Postby Raven » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 23:12

sammo wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:This is what I came up with pool wise base on current rankings:

C Australia, France, Fiji, Samoa, Spain

I don't think we can have Spain, Romania and Russia, can we?

Nope. One of those 3 is at the expense of the Americas 2 spot (Canada or Uruguay)

I quite like the group mix though.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 00:48

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Figaro wrote:Obviously it depends on who's in their group, but I think the USA would be the ideal first opponent for Japan. You'd ideally want them to face a side that 1) they're likely to beat, 2) that is a big market and a well-known country, to increase the spectacle (especially thinking of the non-Rugby fans likely to be tuning in).

Sounds good but the USA is between 13 (New York) and 16 hours (LA) behind Tokyo. Will be tough to get many people on the TV for that. London is 9 hours behind so an evening kickoff at 9pm Tokyo time against a Home Nation would make a great saturday (?) lunch-kickoff.

16 hours is really 8 hours difference. I hope USA aren't drawn in the Japanese pool. Would rather not root against the hosts.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 03:02

carbonero wrote:It wasn't that big of an upset. Argentina was ranked 6th before the 2007 RWC. Just ten months before, they lost 27-28 in the Stade de France. They also beat England in Twickenham on that same tour.

I still remember the Australian commentators being bewildered at Argentina beating France that night. It was as if no-one saw the Pumas previous results over the last 12 months prior to the match.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 08:17

Coloradoan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Sounds good but the USA is between 13 (New York) and 16 hours (LA) behind Tokyo. Will be tough to get many people on the TV for that. London is 9 hours behind so an evening kickoff at 9pm Tokyo time against a Home Nation would make a great saturday (?) lunch-kickoff.

16 hours is really 8 hours difference. I hope USA aren't drawn in the Japanese pool. Would rather not root against the hosts.

I just chose 16 hours to highlight that the are nearly one day back. Maybe there are some 1pm kickoffs which would result in a prime-time-game in the USA. But an opener is normally played in the evening, so not the best time to play the USA and expect a good tv audience.

BigG wrote:Do you remember soccer WC in 2002? You should.
Some games may start at 6-7 AM by CET. Is that OK? We can do nothing with that. Geography matters.

Not sure what you want to say there. I remember, that I "had" to skip school earlier some days because Germany played around noon. Not optimal for the European markets, but later games are okay. Not 100% sure what would be the best opener marketing-wise.

Actually I think I would also say that the All Blacks should kick it off with a Haka.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby Raven » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 09:54

RugbyLiebe wrote:Actually I think I would also say that the All Blacks should kick it off with a Haka.

It will come down to who they´ve got in their Pool...

If they end up having the All Blacks is one thing, but if they have any other PI´s team is another (despite the fact they also have a war dance pre game) A lower ranked first game is also not bad cause the opener should always be a sellout with the opening ceremony and people tuning in from everywhere to watch both that and at least the first minutes of whatever game there is on to get the feel of the World Cup.

Competition-wise, might be better for them to play a higher ranked team before and leave the weaker sides for last so that they can recover better for the Quarters should they come through.

But I guess we will have to wait and see.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:04

I just hope groups will be more balanced and different compared with 2015. I wouldn't like to see another group like that one with Australia, England, Wales and Fiji or Romania play again vs Italy and Canada or an European country from REC.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:
carbonero wrote:It wasn't that big of an upset. Argentina was ranked 6th before the 2007 RWC. Just ten months before, they lost 27-28 in the Stade de France. They also beat England in Twickenham on that same tour.

I still remember the Australian commentators being bewildered at Argentina beating France that night. It was as if no-one saw the Pumas previous results over the last 12 months prior to the match.

Haha exactly. Every time Argies beat someone it was a big "surprise". Even after beating France twice in the same tournament it was still a "surprise".

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:20

I hope Georgia will have another chance to play vs All blacks ones more. HAKA!!! "KA MATE! KA MATE! KA ORA!"
Australia will be also good to watch. England is outstanding after 2015 RWC terrible shape they are winning everything except Ireland baby. :D

I wanna Lelos to play in NZ's pool once more.

Argies will be huge "Surprise" to anyone from 2nd pool and i bet they will give a huge fight for 1st and 2nd places. While Japan, Georgia and Italy will not be able to fight for 1st and even 2nd places. Something tells me Japan will fight for 2nd place.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:28

Raven wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Actually I think I would also say that the All Blacks should kick it off with a Haka.

If they end up having the All Blacks is one thing, but if they have any other PI´s team is another (despite the fact they also have a war dance pre game) A lower ranked first game is also not bad cause the opener should always be a sellout with the opening ceremony and people tuning in from everywhere to watch both that and at least the first minutes of whatever game there is on to get the feel of the World Cup.

Competition-wise, might be better for them to play a higher ranked team before and leave the weaker sides for last so that they can recover better for the Quarters should they come through.

Forget about the competition for one moment. Which game could really kick off the World Cup with news in every country, every country who don't care a single bit about rugby? Only the All Blacks with their bloody Haka :D
This or the host. As Japan should be one of the target markets as the biggest tv-market according to the last RWC.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:46

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:I hope Georgia will have another chance to play vs All blacks ones more. HAKA!!! "KA MATE! KA MATE! KA ORA!"

You'd want Kapa o Pango, that's the one for special occasions :)

Bogdan_DC wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

Haha exactly. Every time Argies beat someone it was a big "surprise". Even after beating France twice in the same tournament it was still a "surprise".

I have a special memory about that game. I watched it in an Irish Pub with lots of French folks and my cousin who I haven't seen for years at that time, although he was a close friend as we grew up together. I wasn't very surprised by Argentina tbh, I expected very strong opposition but not actually winning but rather a very close french win. The cheers of non-French public during the match grew in intensity every time Pumas scored. Was a bloody good evening. My cousin died few days later in a car crash so this was my last memory with him. It's that kind of sour-sweet memory who goes beyond a mere rugby match.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 11:23

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Raven wrote:

Forget about the competition for one moment. Which game could really kick off the World Cup with news in every country, every country who don't care a single bit about rugby? Only the All Blacks with their bloody Haka :D
This or the host. As Japan should be one of the target markets as the biggest tv-market according to the last RWC.

The hosts always play the first match, so it will definitely feature Japan. I agree that NZ would be a good opponent, though there's only a 25% chance they'd even be in the same group.

The group Japan would have the best chance of getting through would have Ireland and France from the first two pots, in my view. They should be able to beat anyone from pots 4 and 5.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 11:38

Figaro wrote:They should be able to beat anyone from pots 4 and 5.

What about full squad of Fiji? I think Fiji will not be easy team for anyone from 2'nd and 3'd baskets.
Best teams in 3'd pot is Argentina and 4'th - Fiji.

Nadolo, Nagusa, Nayacalevu, Tikoirotuma, Botia, Goneva, Lovobalavu - what a backs. Fiji has outstandig back line and pretty strong Forwards, they lack some strong coaching and they can beat anyone.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 12:09

As ugly as a New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, Fiji and Tonga pool would be you'd still put money on it being a three horse race for the quarterfinal spots. However, a group of Ireland, Scotland, Argentina, Fiji and Tonga is an entirely different story. Fiji playing at their peak could beat any of those teams, and Tonga would be tough too at full strength, even the All Blacks had to fight hard against them in 2015. You could easily end up with each team ending up on 2 wins and 2 loses.

Postby Raven » Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 09:13

thatrugbyguy wrote:As ugly as a New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina, Fiji and Tonga pool would be you'd still put money on it being a three horse race for the quarterfinal spots. However, a group of Ireland, Scotland, Argentina, Fiji and Tonga is an entirely different story. Fiji playing at their peak could beat any of those teams, and Tonga would be tough too at full strength, even the All Blacks had to fight hard against them in 2015. You could easily end up with each team ending up on 2 wins and 2 loses.

Why not Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Fiji and Tonga?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby The Do » Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 09:57

It wouldn't surprise me if Japan kick it off against a home nation or France. It means the most viewers in the Japan/oz/nz time zone and Europe

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sat, 01 Apr 2017, 15:04

I agree. Likely to be a home nation, PI, or a band 4 or 5 nation. Playing NZ is just too much of a risk. even if Japan played out of their skins and kept the ABs to 30 or 40 points it would still be seen negatively by the many non-rugby fan Japanese that will likely tune in out of interest. And if it was a 50-80 point blowout that would be a very poor way for the host nation to open the event straight away. Even the ABs didn't play the strongest opposition in their group in 2011. If they get RSA in their group again which is a possibility then they might choose that game as the Boks may not be any more of a challenge than 6N opposition anyway (And if they'd played again last November given the Bok form on that tour, I would've been none too surprised if Japan would've inflicted another loss on the Boks). They might try their luck with PI opposition but IMHO that would be actually quite dangerous. Japan has a pretty poor record v PI teams, and the latter often thrive on a big occasion whereas Japanese sports teams have a pretty poor record when it comes to having the pressure of expectation on them. If Japan played a PI team in the opening game, there is a serious risk of a fall flat loss happening.

Btw, to all the people like Raven bitching and moaning about the timing of the draw. I agree but as I've posted before, the timing of the draw is at the behest of the hosts who if you haven't forgotten are also holding a small event called the Olympics less than a year after the RWC and therefore want to get ticketing underway asap before ticketing from that other event comes into view. WR have acknowledged that issue and acceded to the host's wishes...so get over it! :lol:

To Neptune, many of us, including myself, supported Kenya and wanted you to get to the RWC in 2015 when we were on the old FIRA forum. Instead we were treated to an extremely poor effort with a huge number of unforced handling errors etc. you should know that your team's effort was roundly criticised on the forum and not one mention was made of the ref's performance and we were all neutrals except one Zimbabwean member who is also on this forum. The fact is your team choked badly when they had a RWC place in the offering. So, yes, you are being a crybaby! If anyone deserves a shoulder to cry on it is the Zimbabweans, who for a bad coaching call at the end of the game when they took a penalty kick instead of going for the try bonus, came royally close to taking the African RWC ticket. I suspect to this day, that coach has nightmares about that last penalty decision.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Andy » Sat, 01 Apr 2017, 18:28

An opening match of Japan vs South Africa would attract quite a few viewers, too...

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 02 Apr 2017, 09:37

After what happened in 2015, that made the press even in non rugby countries, I would think it would. I'm sure the Boks would be super motivated too in the thirst for revenge so it might not be a good idea to face such a fired up opposition afterall!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 08 May 2017, 12:00

2 days to go. Very interesting draw.
especially oceania1 and oceani2 in 4th band and oceanis 3 in 5th

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 08 May 2017, 12:22

Some information was spread in the Georgian rugby forum. Still do not know it is a roomer or real. According to that info three Oceania teams will be placed in different groups as well as North American teams (the US and Canada).
Frankly, I like that approach. It is better to have Fiji, Tonga, Samoa in different groups, rather than two of them in the same one.
Let's wait. It is just around the corner.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:13

BigG wrote:Some information was spread in the Georgian rugby forum. Still do not know it is a roomer or real. According to that info three Oceania teams will be placed in different groups as well as North American teams (the US and Canada).
Frankly, I like that approach. It is better to have Fiji, Tonga, Samoa in different groups, rather than two of them in the same one.
Let's wait. It is just around the corner.

Not true,

4th band is Oceania1 and 2, americas 1 and Europe 1
5th is americas 2, Oceania3, africa 1 and repechage

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 08 May 2017, 17:23

You have outdated info. Oceania 3 goes to band 5, and Africa 1 - to band 4.

see for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup

The Official site:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/243994?lang=en

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum