Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

‘One Turf Concept’ agreed by rugby, soccer and hockey

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

‘One Turf Concept’ agreed by rugby, soccer and hockey

Postby iul » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 21:14

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/233484
World Rugby, FIFA and the International Hockey Federation (FIH) have developed a ground-breaking protocol for multi-surface playing fields that could revolutionise how shared sports grounds are used and enjoyed around the world.

After many years working together on this project, including detailed discussions with industry leaders, the three federations have managed to balance player welfare and performance with playability for an initiative named ‘One Turf Concept’. While it is specific to multi-sport venues, the concept can also be applied to any artificial turf sports field not designed to comply with a specific sport-based requirement.

The federations will continue to work with manufacturers and test laboratories in refining standards so as to increase the performance and longevity of the playing fields, which are so important to rugby, soccer and hockey, especially at the community level where available space and finances may be limited.

World Rugby Chairman Bill Beaumont said: “This is a fantastic example of cross-sport co-operation that will benefit grass-roots sport all over the world. While the elite level of each code has a distinct need that often requires its own specific playing surface, 99 per cent of players fall outside that professional, elite group and have different requirements.
Player welfare is number-one priority

“Along with FIFA and FIH, we recognise that the promotion of multi-sport facilities is a cornerstone of the development of our sports in both established and new markets. It is also recognised that the key performance measure of these fields should be focussed on player welfare and, as always, that is our number-one priority. Those seeking to provide safe and high-quality facilities are often in an environment where space and money are limited.”

FIH Director of Sport and Development David Luckes said: “While short-pile products are preferred for hockey, the FIH recognises that this partnership can aid development by providing opportunities to play hockey on surfaces where there are no alternatives. This is particularly important in developing nations where many sports can join together to share facilities.”

The industry, in the form of the European Synthetic Turf Organisation (ESTO) and the Synthetic Turf Council (STC), supports the initiative as a basis for the design and development of a sports facility.

The ‘One Turf Concept’ is separated into three parts, and should be consulted depending on the age of the field considered. For existing fields, it gives an overview of the minimum performance requirements that should be achieved by the field to ensure it addresses the player interaction requirements for a multi-sport surface. It also gives guidance on the ball interaction requirements that should be achieved.
One Turf Concept

For facilities considering installing a new field or replacing their existing field, the ‘One Turf Concept’ includes:

Player performance and ball interaction requirements as detailed above.
Guidance on ensuring the longevity of the field through undertaking laboratory testing which simulates the wear and degradation of the individual elements due to climatic conditions.
Identification tests to ensure that the surface tested in the laboratory matches that installed on the field.
Guidance for those fields looking to achieve certification from one or more international federation with the identification of additional requirements that are insisted upon by each individual federation.

World Rugby, FIFA and FIH recognise the importance of the implementation of a regular and comprehensive maintenance regime to ensure that any artificial turf field continues to perform as intended throughout its lifetime. Adherence to the ‘One Turf Concept’ or to the individual performance requirements set out by the individual federations is unlikely to be achieved over the full potential life of the product without proper maintenance. The ability of a surface to achieve these standards should be measured through initial testing, performed when the surface has been installed, and regular testing throughout its lifetime.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: ‘One Turf Concept’ agreed by rugby, soccer and hockey

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 22:25

Brilliant for countries like Brazil or Germany where football is the king and doesn't allow much rugby in its fields....

I guess field hockey fields can help rugby in India, Pakistan...?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 03:03

This is actually really good news for rugby, it's means all new soccer stadiums in the future will also be rugby compliant.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 07:48

thatrugbyguy wrote:This is actually really good news for rugby, it's means all new soccer stadiums in the future will also be rugby compliant.

I fear this is not the case due to this: "While it is specific to multi-sport venues, the concept can also be applied to any artificial turf sports field not designed to comply with a specific sport-based requirement."

We will have some more venues probably, but not really more.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 08:59

I'm struggling to understand what this actually means in practice. Are they expanding the variety of surfaces permissible, or contracting it?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 09:23

This is great news, particularly in the poorer Latin America countries there is a serious lack of pitches for many sports so they have to share grounds, playing times etc..
Interesting to see how this works in India with Hockey and Cricket the kings in the subcontinent.

Figaro wrote:I'm struggling to understand what this actually means in practice. Are they expanding the variety of surfaces permissible, or contracting it?

I believe is expansion that is how I read it.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 10:33

The main question is: will those "poorer" LAtin American countries still build soccer pitches or will they suddenly build those multi-functional-pitches without a reason. Hockey clubs tend to have a way richer membership than soccer clubs and next to nothing with them in common. With hockey and rugby that's a different cup of tea.

What it really helps is places where there are already soccer and rugby clubs and when they have to agree on new pitches. For my club this is actually right at the perfect time, as there is a artificial pitch shared with a soccer club in planning.

But don't expect any wonders, like suddenly more pitch-times for non-existant rugby clubs in SA-countries.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 12:04

I think what will happen is a universal standard for pitches will be set in place for the three sports, meaning any new or relayed surfaces will meet the requirements of all three sports. Won't change things overnight, but a good move regardless.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 12:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:The main question is: will those "poorer" LAtin American countries still build soccer pitches or will they suddenly build those multi-functional-pitches without a reason. Hockey clubs tend to have a way richer membership than soccer clubs and next to nothing with them in common. With hockey and rugby that's a different cup of tea.

What it really helps is places where there are already soccer and rugby clubs and when they have to agree on new pitches. For my club this is actually right at the perfect time, as there is a artificial pitch shared with a soccer club in planning.

But don't expect any wonders, like suddenly more pitch-times for non-existant rugby clubs in SA-countries.

Forget Rugby or hockey for a moment, yes they are richer sports but I think people are missing the point, I have seen it first hand and this news strengthens the argument for them. A case in point is La Paz in Bolivia I was taken to the grounds by locals due to lack of parks and pitches they created this multiple pitch infrastructure.. the initial outlay is expensive but worth it as many sports get to used it. not just football, I have seen softball and basketball as well. Rugby uses it as training grounds.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 15:53

It won't change anything from day to night, of course. An artificial ~100x60 metres pitch costs about 500k dollars.

Rugby clubs in poor countries won't pay for them. What will happen is that maybe football clubs (and football clubs in "poor Latin America" are not that poor) will use them and rent more easily its fields or municipalities, when redeveloping public areas, might choose artificial turfs due to mantainance costs. In Brazil it is common some companies that rent football fields (usually 7-a-side) for informal football (afterwork football, friends football). If they adopt such universal fields it is one more option for rugby clubs to train or even play (depending on the side).

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 16:02

I hope this works out for the greater good of rugby. I remember a case in point before RWC 2015, Manchester United denied WR their pitches at old trafford on the basis that the rugby players will ruin the grounds. Despite them being offered a huge payout, they declined it.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 16:26

I am not trying to belittle Latin America been poor or not, I am from there after all and do travel back regularly; but I am coming from an Economic and Budgetary perspective, yes there a rich clubs and people I am not blind to that but in budgetary terms simply there is no money for some of this countries is a big outlay is not going to happen overnight this has to be a 5 - 10 investment cycle.

The concept is worth exploring but my question to people in Latin America is if you happen to have 500k would you invested in a pitch or in equipment and general infrastructure?

Manchester United pull the plug back in 2013 2 years before RWC, they pulled the plug before relaying their pitches with new turf.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 04:10

Thomas, I wasn't making any irony, I agree with you that the region's economic and social issues are of course a problem.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 15:13

Wait, I thought that field hockey fields were completely different from football / rugby. As in, they are not grass.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 07:21

NaBUru38 wrote:Wait, I thought that field hockey fields were completely different from football / rugby. As in, they are not grass.

We talk about field hockey :lol:

Sizes are not that far apart. A hockey pitch is 91,4 × 55 m (≙ 100 × 60 Yards).

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 18:52

Field hockey fields are not grass. They currently use water-based synthetic turfs, not sand-based as in North American soccer.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 19:20

Girls Grass Hockey fields are grass in the US.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 12:12

NaBUru38 wrote:Field hockey fields are not grass. They currently use water-based synthetic turfs, not sand-based as in North American soccer.

In Uganda, hockey fields are grass. There is one sand-based artificial turf hockey pitch that was previously a murram pitch.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 14:03

In Uruguay, field hockey is played on soccer-style sand-based artificial turfs. As I said, international tournaments are typically played in water-based synthetic turfs.

That's why I'm surprised that field hockey is partnering with FIFA and World Rugby.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 15:14

Originally field hockey was really played in grass. I remember to read that India and Pakistan decline in field hockey started with the adoption of artificial fields. But I am not an expert.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 01 Apr 2017, 19:39

Correct. The Olympic tournament was played on natural grass up to 1972.

Water-based fields of course require lots of water, so they are a problem in many countries where water is costly or scarce.

Return to Rugby Forum