Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Poland - looking ahead

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Poland - looking ahead

Postby dropkick » Thu, 22 May 2014, 12:38

Having seen how Samoa benefits from having so much emigration to NZ, I think Poland can capitalise on a similar situation. Theres a huge amount of Polish and other eastern Europeans after emigration to Britain and Ireland. If a small percentage start to follow rugby and get their kids playing then Poland could see massive benefits in years to come. It won't happen in the short or medium term but longer term.

It won't be the same degree as Samoans in NZ because A, eastern Europeans don't have much of a rugby culture and B, rugby isn't as popular in Britain and Ireland. But having said that, there should be a knock on effect in future.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Poland - looking ahead

Postby Geordiefalcon » Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:35

They should just start by getting Mariusz Pudzianowski in at TH... :-)

The polish do like their strong man events...and rugby might intrigue a few of them if they get introduced to it.

Like many other European countries they are beginning to get the odd player in the top european leagues. Hopefully the new European Cup and its formats can help bring more rugby experience to these countries.
Newcastle Falcons Fan....

Adamstown 7s

Postby Adamstown 7s » Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:45

I had a friend who told me that Welsh language Television i Llanelli in South Wales has Polish subtitles before English. Don't know how true this is but I chose to believe it. I agree though, Poland will have potential from their player pool in Britain in the (dare I say it) not so distant future.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 07 Jun 2014, 21:55

This is hardly a new phenomenon though. Thousands of Polish people came to Britain in the 50s too, they spoke Polish in my dad's primary school in suburban Leicester.

You get the odd one or two of the dispora playing in England, Tigers had a hooker called Marek Kwusic and a centre called Mark Jankowski in the 90s and currently have a lock in the academy called Joe Maksymiw and previously had a scrum half from Norwich with a polish name too.

France's had Skrela, Swareski, Michalak.

It might happen but I think its just as likely that a modern day Gregor Kacla is found and polish forwards earn a reputation like Georgia's.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby beardy reiver » Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 10:58

Poland, running right into your face!

As UK based eagle eyed forum members will probably already have noticed there are a couple of Polish eligible brothers currently tearing up the turf with championship side Bristol - Auguy and Lucas Slowik. Lucas was in the England U20 squad i think but Auguy has been banging in tries left right and centre from fullback. He got quite a glowing write up last week in both telegraph and ruby paper but i saw him take apart a London Scottish team which had been doing pretty darn well this season. He's now played and 3 scored 5 tries. The quality in the championship is a bit patchy but these games have been against some of the better teams, i reckon we (Scottish) are looking at a play off place and Pirates and Leeds are no slouches either.
If they're good enough to play at world cups why aren't they good enough for the Sanzars in between?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sat, 27 Sep 2014, 12:01

Geordiefalcon wrote:They should just start by getting Mariusz Pudzianowski in at TH... :-)

The polish do like their strong man events...and rugby might intrigue a few of them if they get introduced to it.

Pudzianowski is a mixed martial artist now, but he played rugby in Poland and Wales if I remember well

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Mon, 12 Dec 2016, 14:42

The Poles are holding trials in Exeter next week.

"We often receive emails from likely candidates registering their interest in representing the national team and so we would like to take the opportunity to utilise players exposed to a higher standard of rugby."
Vice-president Krzysztof Liedel added: "The trials in Exeter will be the first of its kind, but we plan to organise other events next year in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and again in England. Polish rugby is growing - our juniors take part in all European competitions.

Read more at http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/f ... 6v8dtTe.99

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 13 Dec 2016, 08:33

Chris Czekaj, who played for Wales a few times in the late 2000s, was eligible for Poland via his (grand)parents I believe. There's also a Prop on the Blues' books called Corey Domachowski, though beyond the name I've no idea who he would or wouldn't be eligible for (and I think he's already capped for Wales U20, which would rule him out as we have no A team). There are probably a smattering of players in the Welsh premiership and English Championship/below who would be eligible - whether or not they'd be an improvement on the current squad of course is a different matter, and they might not want to jeopardize a potential place in a Pro12 or English Prem side by becoming a foreign cap.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 11:22

I have on my list of 2017 test fixtures a friendly between Poland and Czech Republic set for 6 March. An updates please?

Postby ihateblazers » Sat, 08 Apr 2017, 06:09

Theres a Polish born player in rugby league called mikolaj oledzki in the Leeds Rhinos system, 18 years old. Interesting story being born in Poland and then moving to Leeds in his early teens and picking up rugby league there. Seems like quite an athlete too, big and strong.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-lea ... n-10108547

Top 14 clubs take note and then he can play for Poland in union :D

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby DoncasterKSrugby » Sun, 09 Apr 2017, 16:25

I live in Doncaster which has a large Polish population, I have many Polish friends that I have introduced to rugby as spectators as most are too old to play, ALL of them have loved it and whished that they had been given the opportunity to play.

interestingly they all commented that it is a naturally fitting sport for Polish to play and they believe that with exposure in Poland it would grow and grow

Return to Rugby Forum