Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

British and Irish Lions Tour

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 13:44

The British and Irish Lions are set to tour New Zealand this summer with some key ommisions by Warren Gatland.
Here is the squad selected to tour.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... ed-captain

Posts: 229
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 11:52
National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby suofficer » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 13:57

On their last tour they played the Babaas in HK before going to on to Aus. I think they should have shortened this tour to NZ and played Georgia in France before they went south.

Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby amz » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:21

I don't see absolutely any reason for which B&I Lions would play Georgia or any other European nation.

Posts: 359
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:56

The selections just show me that Gatland should be sacked, what an idiot.

Posts: 248
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 15:14

TheStroBro wrote:The selections just show me that Gatland should be sacked, what an idiot.


Yep i'm not a big fan of England but the likes of Mike Brown, Dylan Hartley & Joe Launchbury should be in there. Also i feel sorry for J.Gray.

Posts: 560
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Thomas » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 15:30

No Ford/Russell but Dan Biggar?? Greig laidlaw is far better than rhys Webb too. Why was AWJ Selected? No Launchbury? Or J Gray ? I can go on...

Why was Warburton selected? I would have brought in Watson to add some spice to the back row. Some of his selections were purely sentimental.

In the last Lions Tour they were 8 or 9 call ups so things may change with injuries etc. but the initial selection leaves much to be desired

Posts: 411
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 20:31
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Figaro » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 08:51

Thomas wrote:No Ford/Russell but Dan Biggar?? Greig laidlaw is far better than rhys Webb too. Why was AWJ Selected? No Launchbury? Or J Gray ? I can go on...

Why was Warburton selected? I would have brought in Watson to add some spice to the back row. Some of his selections were purely sentimental.

In the last Lions Tour they were 8 or 9 call ups so things may change with injuries etc. but the initial selection leaves much to be desired


Warburton was one of the form Back Rowers in the 6N and has obviously been made captain because 1) he's always been Gatland's right hand man, 2) he's one of the only captaincy candidates looking like a nailed-on starter. More surprising is the inclusion of Ross Moriarty - he's also been outstanding, but then I would have expected Heaslip or even Haskell or someone first. Maybe he's the token young "bolter".

Launchbury and Gray deserve to be there, but then who would you remove? AWJ apparently, but he's a truly outstanding second row. There was always going to be someone good left out there.

If you want to talk about undeserving Welshmen, you could point to Halfpenny, North and especially Jonathan Davies. Why the hell is Davies in ahead of Joseph, Henshaw, Ringrose, basically any other 6N centre?

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 09:12

I also expected to see former crusaders player Sean Maitland at wing and Ian Madigan at fly half. Fantastic chaps these duo are.

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 10:02

Their schedule looks really fatiguing and energy sapping. Games after a 3 days rest is kind of exhausting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... tches.html

Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby victorsra » Sun, 23 Apr 2017, 18:30

The 2021 Lions Tour will be in South Africa, but there are speculations about a match against the Pumas as well: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -2021.html They say Argentina's problem is the lack of professional teams. However, this is a statement considering they should keep those damn Super Rugby matches. And it will probably depend on the negociations about the duration of the Lions tours, that English clubs want to be reduced from the current 6 weeks.

I think Argentina would be mature enough to receive a full Lions tour, maybe starting with matches in North America. The "natural" year IMO opinion would be 2029, making alternate tours between Eastern and Western hemisphere, which is good for TV. And they should just scrap the Super Rugby matches and replace them by other tests. They just don't do that probably because of commercial interests.

2021 - Europe/Africa warm up + SA
2025 - Asia warm up + AUS
2029 - North/South America warm up + ARG
2033 - Pacific Is warm up + NZ
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 15:34

amz wrote:I don't see absolutely any reason for which B&I Lions would play Georgia or any other European nation.

The Lions last played France in 1989. It's time for a rematch.

Posts: 359
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 21 May 2017, 23:48

Funny as they just had picture day. Billy Vunipola has withdrawn citing a shoulder injury. Then Gatland calls up a man he'd snubbed in Haskell, but a hulking #6 =/= #8.

Posts: 359
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 13 Jun 2017, 15:37

I did some writing on Athletic Performance and Jet Lag and produced this video as a companion to it: https://youtu.be/kYbpg0AWz_M

Lions needed a minimum of 7s days in country for optimal performance on the field before their first match, 11 days if you wanted a really good performance, which would put us at today's match against the Highlanders for when they should have faced the Ba Baas.

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Wed, 14 Jun 2017, 06:38

TheStroBro wrote:I did some writing on Athletic Performance and Jet Lag and produced this video as a companion to it: https://youtu.be/kYbpg0AWz_M

Lions needed a minimum of 7s days in country for optimal performance on the field before their first match, 11 days if you wanted a really good performance, which would put us at today's match against the Highlanders for when they should have faced the Ba Baas.


it's actually accumulated fatigue for the lions. Playing in a span of 4 days plus Jetlag and they haven't fully recovered from the Aviva , Magners and Guiness pro 12 fatigue .

Posts: 359
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 14 Jun 2017, 18:18

Neptune wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:I did some writing on Athletic Performance and Jet Lag and produced this video as a companion to it: https://youtu.be/kYbpg0AWz_M

Lions needed a minimum of 7s days in country for optimal performance on the field before their first match, 11 days if you wanted a really good performance, which would put us at today's match against the Highlanders for when they should have faced the Ba Baas.


it's actually accumulated fatigue for the lions. Playing in a span of 4 days plus Jetlag and they haven't fully recovered from the Aviva , Magners and Guiness pro 12 fatigue .


That's part of the point. But the fatigue from playing shouldn't be the excuse in the eyes of many people because they're professionals.. It can be for me...I mean Aviva play started in September...like wtf.

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 06:11

We have got to give credit to the lions for being the only touring combined nations side in the 21st century.
Having already lost to games to Super Rugby Franchises the Blues and the Highlanders, and winning 2 games against NZ Province and the Crusaders, we are yet to see their full mettle.
Their game against the Maori, could well go either side.
Here are the Squads
BRITISH AND IRISH LIONS
15. Leigh Halfpenny – Toulon, Wales, #775
14. Anthony Watson – Bath Rugby, England, #816
13. Jonathan Davies – Scarlets, Wales, #778
12. Ben Te’o – Worcester Warriors, England, #815
11. George North – Northampton Saints, Wales, #792
10. Johnny Sexton – Leinster, Ireland, #791
9. Conor Murray – Munster, Ireland, #790
1. Mako Vunipola – Saracens, England, #787
2. Jamie George – Saracens, England, #818
3. Tadhg Furlong – Leinster, Ireland, #817
4. Maro Itoje – Saracens, England, #825
5. George Kruis – Saracens, England, #819
6. Peter O’Mahony (capt) – Munster, Ireland, #833
7. Sean O’Brien – Leinster, Ireland, #796
8. Taulupe Faletau – Bath Rugby, Wales, #779
Replacements
16. Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17. Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18. Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
19. Iain Henderson – Ulster, Ireland, #808
20. Sam Warburton – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
21. Greig Laidlaw – Gloucester Rugby, Scotland, #810
22. Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
23. Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822

MAORI ALL BLACKS
15. James Lowe – Tasman (Ngāpuhi/Ngāi Te Rangi)
14. Nehe Milner-Skudder – Manawatu (Ngāti Porou/Tapuika)
13. Matt Proctor – Wellington (Ngāpuhi/Ngāiterangi)
12. Charlie Ngatai – Taranaki (Ngāti Porou/Te Whānau ā Apanui/Te Whakatōhea)
11. Rieko Ioane – Auckland (Ngāpuhi/Te Whānau ā Apanui)
10. Damian McKenzie – Waikato (Ngāti Tūwharetoa/Ngāti Tahinga)
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow – Waikato (Waikato/Ngāti Maniapoto)
1. Kane Hames – Tasman (Ngāi Tuhoe/Ngāti Porou)
2. Ash Dixon (captain) – Hawke’s Bay (Ngāti Tahinga)
3. Ben May – Hawke’s Bay (Ngāti Maniapoto/Tainui)
4. Joe Wheeler – Tasman (Ngāi Tahu)
5. Tom Franklin – Bay of Plenty (Ngāti Maniapoto)
6. Akira Ioane – Auckland (Ngāpuhi/Te Whānau ā Apanui)
7. Elliot Dixon – Southland (Ngāpuhi)
8. Liam Messam – Waikato (Ngāi Tūhoe)
Replacements:
16. Hikawera Elliot – Counties Manukau (Ngāti Awa)
17. Chris Eves – Manawatu (Waikato/Tainui)
18. Marcel Renata – Auckland (Ngāti Whānaunga/Te Aupouri
19. Leighton Price – Taranaki (Waikato/Ngāti Maniapoto)
20. Kara Pryor – Northland (Ngāti Awa/Ngāti Pikiao/Ngāti Rangitihi)
21. Bryn Hall* – North Harbour (Ngāti Ranginui)
22. Ihaia West – Hawke’s Bay (Ngāti Kahungunu/Ngāti Porou)
23. Rob Thompson* – Canterbury (Ngāti Kahungunu

can't wait for this epic game to take place. All the best to both sides.

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 06:13

Last and not least, the Scots really need to pull their socks up. I mean how many touring Lions sides has had more than 4 scots in any side? The English, Welsh and Irish produce well over 8-9 chaps, and the Scots still lag behind. C'MON you Scots, do something. :P

Posts: 248
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 07:06

Neptune wrote:Last and not least, the Scots really need to pull their socks up. I mean how many touring Lions sides has had more than 4 scots in any side? The English, Welsh and Irish produce well over 8-9 chaps, and the Scots still lag behind. C'MON you Scots, do something. :P

Scots could easily have more guys in the team if Gatland doesn't select ANY welsh player available.

Posts: 77
Joined: Tue, 18 Nov 2014, 15:06
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby honestly_united » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 10:06

For previous tours I would have agreed we did not deserve many Scots on the tour, however this year after beating both Wales and Ireland in the 6N we get 3 tourists. I would argue that Nel, Grey, Watson, Russell and Dunbar should have been selected as are better than some of the picks by Gatland.

However with Townsend coming in as the new head coach, Im more than happy that he has the majority of the players with him on the pacific tour, and not being subjected to Warrenball coaching in NZ and suffering the upcoming humiliation at the hand of the all blacks

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 13:53

honestly_united wrote:For previous tours I would have agreed we did not deserve many Scots on the tour, however this year after beating both Wales and Ireland in the 6N we get 3 tourists. I would argue that Nel, Grey, Watson, Russell and Dunbar should have been selected as are better than some of the picks by Gatland.

However with Townsend coming in as the new head coach, Im more than happy that he has the majority of the players with him on the pacific tour, and not being subjected to Warrenball coaching in NZ and suffering the upcoming humiliation at the hand of the all blacks


If im not mistaken, there is only one Scotsman in the touring party in Greg Laidlaw. I stand being corrected.

Posts: 359
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 14:54

Neptune wrote:
honestly_united wrote:For previous tours I would have agreed we did not deserve many Scots on the tour, however this year after beating both Wales and Ireland in the 6N we get 3 tourists. I would argue that Nel, Grey, Watson, Russell and Dunbar should have been selected as are better than some of the picks by Gatland.

However with Townsend coming in as the new head coach, Im more than happy that he has the majority of the players with him on the pacific tour, and not being subjected to Warrenball coaching in NZ and suffering the upcoming humiliation at the hand of the all blacks


If im not mistaken, there is only one Scotsman in the touring party in Greg Laidlaw. I stand being corrected.


Laidlaw, Seymour, Hogg...Hogg just went home so that leaves Seymour and Laidlaw.

Owen Farrell has been declared inactive for the match due to a Hamstring injury, Dan Biggar will take his spot on the bench: https://twitter.com/SkySportsRugby/stat ... 9213415425

Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 06:00

English friends, please, give me some suggestions. I'll visit London in the coming days and wish to watch the NZ v Lions match (July 1) at a good pub. Can you tell me some nice places?

Preferably a specialized pub in the good old progressive rock... 8-)

Oh, one more thing. I'm going to Twickenham Museum and intend to attend a rugby league match. What other rugby place should I visit? There's some rugby clothing store/outlet near Swiss Cottage?

thank you so much!

Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 06:02

Is this tour going to be labeled a disaster if they lose to the Maori? There's no way I can see them winning any games against the AB's.

Posts: 161
Joined: Thu, 04 Jun 2015, 12:34
National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 07:27

How can they not call it a disaster after this: http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/39022.php#.WUTZKhN95Bw ?
I mean as if Gatland hadn't devalued Lions caps enough with his Welsh hat, now giving out call-ups just if you happen to be in geographic proximity...

Posts: 793
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 08:13

Zhenya_Zima wrote:How can they not call it a disaster after this: http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/39022.php#.WUTZKhN95Bw ?
I mean as if Gatland hadn't devalued Lions caps enough with his Welsh hat, now giving out call-ups just if you happen to be in geographic proximity...


I think this statement is abit unfair, Gatland tried his best in picking a good lions squad. I wouldn't understand why Haskell and Maitland were not picked, but on a scale of 1-10 he did an 8. The issue about Geographical proximity is totally incorrect.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests