Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

British and Irish Lions Tour

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby Neptune » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 13:44

The British and Irish Lions are set to tour New Zealand this summer with some key ommisions by Warren Gatland.
Here is the squad selected to tour.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... ed-captain

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: British and Irish Lions Tour

Postby suofficer » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 13:57

On their last tour they played the Babaas in HK before going to on to Aus. I think they should have shortened this tour to NZ and played Georgia in France before they went south.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:21

I don't see absolutely any reason for which B&I Lions would play Georgia or any other European nation.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 14:56

The selections just show me that Gatland should be sacked, what an idiot.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 15:14

TheStroBro wrote:The selections just show me that Gatland should be sacked, what an idiot.

Yep i'm not a big fan of England but the likes of Mike Brown, Dylan Hartley & Joe Launchbury should be in there. Also i feel sorry for J.Gray.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 15:30

No Ford/Russell but Dan Biggar?? Greig laidlaw is far better than rhys Webb too. Why was AWJ Selected? No Launchbury? Or J Gray ? I can go on...

Why was Warburton selected? I would have brought in Watson to add some spice to the back row. Some of his selections were purely sentimental.

In the last Lions Tour they were 8 or 9 call ups so things may change with injuries etc. but the initial selection leaves much to be desired

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 08:51

Thomas wrote:No Ford/Russell but Dan Biggar?? Greig laidlaw is far better than rhys Webb too. Why was AWJ Selected? No Launchbury? Or J Gray ? I can go on...

Why was Warburton selected? I would have brought in Watson to add some spice to the back row. Some of his selections were purely sentimental.

In the last Lions Tour they were 8 or 9 call ups so things may change with injuries etc. but the initial selection leaves much to be desired

Warburton was one of the form Back Rowers in the 6N and has obviously been made captain because 1) he's always been Gatland's right hand man, 2) he's one of the only captaincy candidates looking like a nailed-on starter. More surprising is the inclusion of Ross Moriarty - he's also been outstanding, but then I would have expected Heaslip or even Haskell or someone first. Maybe he's the token young "bolter".

Launchbury and Gray deserve to be there, but then who would you remove? AWJ apparently, but he's a truly outstanding second row. There was always going to be someone good left out there.

If you want to talk about undeserving Welshmen, you could point to Halfpenny, North and especially Jonathan Davies. Why the hell is Davies in ahead of Joseph, Henshaw, Ringrose, basically any other 6N centre?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 09:12

I also expected to see former crusaders player Sean Maitland at wing and Ian Madigan at fly half. Fantastic chaps these duo are.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 10:02

Their schedule looks really fatiguing and energy sapping. Games after a 3 days rest is kind of exhausting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... tches.html

Return to Rugby Forum