Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Brazil

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 22:56

So people start learning about rugby when they turn 18 years old?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 12 Jan 2019, 03:56

NaBUru38 wrote:So people start learning about rugby when they turn 18 years old?

i was 20...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 Jan 2019, 12:15

Yes and no.

Most people start after 17-18 yo.

But if we look at the Brazilian national team many players started in earlier ages as most of them started at the few clubs with junior rugby. The problem is junior rugby has a small calendar (for exemple, last year São Paulo was the only state with a 15-a-side junior competitions and the U19s championship had 4 clubs only.... ) and some clubs have a junior team in one year but give up lacking numbers in the other. Very frequent.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 21:44

If I was the CBRu, I would focus as much effort as possible in growing youth sides for clubs. It’s difficult to do with limited budget and staff but you can utilize programs like Get Into Rugby or focus on specific cities/regions first i.e. put all effort into growing rugby in SP first and then expand to other regions after a few years.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 22:11

If I haven't misunderstood the situation described by Brazilians here Get into Rugby would be of little help. They already have lots of kids getting into rugby, it's the bridge between non contact rugby and contact rugby and between these first steps in the sport and real rugby clubs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 22:29

Brazil is the land of Tag Rugby. Get into Rugby is well used here. The problem is the transition to contact rugby that does not happen like it should. Armchair is right.

In fact, I don't know of World Rugby knows propérly how to make it happen in countries like Brazil. Maybe another great exemple is India. I always see those images full of kids playing tag rugby but the Indian national team barely plays... I know nothing abut their club rugby, but it doesn't look well developed in terms of calendar as far as I could find.

Tag Rugby gives you numbers to show sponsors and media and it is good for the education of the kids. But means very little in terms of developing rugby.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum