Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Brazil

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 04:35

Super 8 - FINAL
Desterro 13-13 Curitiba - 1-2 on SHOOTOUTS!!!! Incredible. Curitiba champions for the 2nd time (2014 and 2016).

Article with video and the complete list of Brazilian champions http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... impensavel
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 544
Joined: Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 19:33
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 12:46

What a crazy way to decide the title! Didnt know there was such a thing as shootouts.

Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 13:00

Oh yes, in fact it was that way that some Home Nations were beaten in U18 European Championship, leading to their retirement from the competition the following year.

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 18:51

Yes, the most famous shootouts were probably in 2009 Heineken Cup semifinal between Leicester and Cardiff:



However, in Brazilian Super 8 final the shootout was by drop goals. They played 80 minutes + 2 extra times (without scoring!) and then kicked the drop goals (5 each side... loads of errors, making it dramatic). Here the video my website did:

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 17 Dec 2016, 17:28

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/1 ... ing-green/

Brazil will keep its green shirt as the alternative kit after CBRu promote a public poll about this. In the poll the public decided between green and blue.

Blue is the alternative kit of the football and volleyball teams. Basketball is usually green, but sometimes white or blue too, while handebol uses green. Of course yellow is the colour for the main kits in all sports.

I prefer green. I don't like the idea to look like the football teams. In fact, I don't like our current blue shorts. It would be better to go back and use green shorts in the main kit IMO.

In fact, I would love to see Brazil using a yellow and green striped shirt. A green and yellow Pumas-style shirt would be awesome.

This would remind me the old basketball uniforms
Image
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 12:44

The 2017 Men's Super Sevens (Brazilian Sevens Series) will have 2 tournaments: the Qualy Tournament, in São José dos Campos, on February 19th and 20th, open to all clubs interested in the competition, and the Final Tournament, in Niterói, on March 19th and 20th.

The Final Tournament will have 12 clubs: the 6 state champions and the 6 best clubs of the Qualy.

The 6 states organized their sevens championships between november and december and the champions are:

São Paulo: SPAC
Rio de Janeiro: Rio Rugby
Minas Gerais: Uberlândia
Paraná: Curitiba
Santa Catarina: Desterro
Rio Grande do Sul: Farrapos

Clubs from other states must take part in the Qualy tournament to be able do play for the national title. The Qualy is also open the other clubs from the 6 states. In 2016 São José won the Men's Super Sevens, but SPAC beat them last month in the São Paulo Sevens Championship final. CBRu gave São José the host of the 2017 Qualy. Fair.

Worth to note that Brazilian15-a-side season starts in March with the State Championships. Most of them will probably start the weekend after the Super Sevens.
Last edited by victorsra on Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 17:01

victorsra wrote:http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/12/17/brazil-continue-playing-green/

Brazil will keep its green shirt as the alternative kit after CBRu promote a public poll about this. In the poll the public decided between green and blue.


Nearly every national rugby union team uses blue or red. It's a great decision to pick green.

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Dec 2016, 14:02

The Brazilian Rugby season has just ended and here you are the complete list of all champions in Brazil! Well, I expect to have not missed anyone. I listed the champions of all competition organized by national or local unions (associated or not to CBRu) + local independent leagues. Men's and women's, senior or junior, XVs or 7s. I haven't listed minor sevens tournaments, trophys between two clubs, any rugby below U15, beach rugby, touch rugby or tag rugby.

http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... es-de-2016

RUGBY XV

National titles

Super 8 (Brazilian Championship) – Curitiba (PR)

Taça Tupi (Brazilian 2nd division) – Jacareí (SP)


Inter-state competitions

Copa Brasil Central (aka Pequi Nations) (Central Brazil Cup = Cerrado champions vs Pantanal champions) – Rugby sem Fronteiras (DF)

Taça Cerrado (Cerrado = Goiás state + Federal District) – Rugby sem Fronteiras (DF)

Taça Pantanal (Pantanal = Mato Grosso + Moto Grosso do Sul states) – Primavera (MT)

Nordeste Super Rugby XV (all Northeast states) – CE NaFor (CE)

Liga Norte (all Northern states = Amazon region) – GRUA (AM)

Liga Sul Adulta (Paraná + Santa Catarina + Rio Grande do Sul states) – Curitiba (PR)

Liga Sul M19 – Farrapos (RS)

Copa Norte/SC (Paraná/Santa Catarina border independent league) – BC Rugby (SC)


State competitions

Campeonato Paulista A (São Paulo 1st division) – São José

Campeonato Paulista Feminino (São Paulo womens) – Rio Branco

Campeonato Paulista B – São Carlos

Campeonato Paulista C – São Jorge

Campeonato Paulista D – Engenharia Mackenzie

Campeonato Paulista Universitário (Varsity league) – Engenharia Mackenzie

Campeonato Paulista M19 – São José

Campeonato Paulista M17 – São José

Campeonato Paulista M15 – Pasteur

Copa USP (Varsity league, just Universidade de São Paulo/USP teams - round robin) – Poli

InterUSP (Varsity league, just Universidade de São Paulo/USP teams - knockout) – Medicina

Copa Vale (Vale do Paraíba regional league = São José dos Campos/Jacareí area) – Cruzeiro do Sul

Campeonato Gaúcho A (Rio Grande do Sul state championship) – Farrapos

Campeonato Gaúcho B – Universitário Santa Maria

Campeonato Gaúcho Acesso – Arlequines (Uruguay)

Campeonato Gaúcho Intermédia – San Diego

Copa RS (Rio Grande do Sul state cup) – Charrua

Campeonato Gaúcho M19 – Charrua

Campeonato Fluminense A (Rio de Janeiro state) – Guanabara

Campeonato Fluminense B – UFF

Campeonato Paranaense (Paraná state) – Curitiba

<strong>Campeonato Paranaense M19</strong> - Curitiba

Campeonato Mineiro A (Minas Gerais state) – BH Rugby

Campeonato Mineiro B – Montes Claros

Campeonato Catarinense (Santa Catarina state) – Desterro

Campeonato Baiano (Bahia state) – Orixás/Alto da Ondina

Campeonato Cearense (Ceará state) – CE NaFor

Campeonato Sul-Matogrossense (Mato Grosso do Sul state) – Campo Grande

____________________________________________

RUGBY TENS


Copa Paraná (Paraná state 2nd division) – Ponta Grossa



____________________________________________



RUGBY SEVENS


National competitions


Total Sevens Masculino (Brazilian men's national series) – São José (SP)

Super Sevens Feminino (Brazilian women's national series) – Curitiba (PR)

Copa Cultura Inglesa M19 Masculino (Brazilian men's U19 championship) – São José (SP)

Copa Cultura Inglesa M18 Feminino (women's U18) – São José (SP)

Copa Cultura Inglesa M17 Masculino (men's U17) – Pasteur (SP)

Copa Cultura Inglesa M16 Feminino (women's U16) – São José (SP)

Red Bull 7s (Varsity) – UNIP (SP)



Inter-state competitions

Liga Sul de Sevens Feminino – Curitiba (PR)

Pequi Sevens Masculino – UFG (GO)

Pequi Sevens Feminino – Cuiabá (MT)

Cerrado Sevens Masculino – UFG (GO)

Cerrado Sevens Feminino – Goianos (GO)

Nordeste Sevens Masculino – Confraria dos Backs (MA)

Nordeste Sevens Feminino – Delta (PI)

Interestadual Nordestino de Sevens Masculino – Maranhão (MA)

Interestadual Nordestino de Sevens Feminino – Maranhão (MA)

Circuito Norte de Sevens Masculino – Templários (RR)

Circuito Norte de Sevens Feminino – Makuxi (RR)

SPAC Lions Masculino – Cruzeirinho (São José) (SP)

SPAC Lions Feminino – Niterói (RJ)

SPAC Lions Juvenil – SPAC (SP)

SPAC Lions Veteranos – Cruzeiro do Sul (São José) (SP)



State competitions

Circuito Gilbert de Rugby Sevens Feminino (São Paulo women's 1st division seriesp) – São José

Circuito Gilbert de Rugby Sevens Feminino (SP) M19 (São Paulo women's u19 seriesp) – São José and Leões de Paraisópolis (split)

Copa SP de Rugby Sevens Feminino (São Paulo women's second division series) – USP

Campeonato Paulista Masculino (São Paulo men's championship) – SPAC

Campeonato Paulista M19 Masculino – São José

Campeonato Paulista M18 Feminino – São José

Campeonato Paulista M17 Masculino – Pasteur

Campeonato Paulista M15 Masculino – São José

Campeonato Paulista Universitário – UNIP

Super USP Feminino – Tsunami

Liga USP de Sevens Masculino – EEFE

Copa Vale de Sevens – Cruzeiro do Sul

Liga do Oeste Paulista (LOPAR) – Pirajuí

Circuito Gaúcho Masculino – Farrapos

Circuito Gaúcho Feminino – Charrua

Circuito Gaúcho M19 – Charrua

Circuito Gaúcho M16 – Serra

Campeonato Paranaense Masculino – Taça John Swann – Curitiba

Circuito Paranaense Feminino – Curitiba

Campeonato Catarinense Masculino – Desterro

Campeonato Catarinense Feminino – Desterro

Copa Norte/SC Juvenil – Itajaí

Circuito Fluminense Feminino – Niterói

Campeonato Fluminense Masculino – Rio Rugby

Campeonato Fluminense Universitário Masculino – UFRJ

Campeonato Fluminense Universitário Feminino -UERJ

Circuito Mineiro Masculino – Uberlândia

Circuito Mineiro Feminino – BH Rugby

Liga do Triângulo Mineiro – Uberlândia

Circuito Baiano Masculino – Ymborés Vitória da Conquista

Campeonato Baiano Masculino – Fúrias Salvador

Campeonato Baiano Feminino – Toruks Porto Seguro

Campeonato Cearense Masculino - CE NaFor

Campeonato Cearense Feminino - Dona Maria
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 23 Dec 2016, 20:00

The Brazilian Rugby Union (CBRu) unvailed the new model for the Brazilian top flight.

In 2017 the Super 8 will be reduce. The competition won't have the current 14 rounds anymore. It will be just 7 rounds, due to costs, with each facing all the others just once. However, the playoffs will start in the quarter finals. Yes, ALL clubs wiil qualify :roll: (I believe without relegation)

The reason is 2018. As CBRu can't anymore afford all those transportation costs (until 2016 CBRu was paying transport for all clubs) they will change the model to a regionalized competition, with more clubs, split in regional groups. They are still studying how it will work. More rational and realistic now with less money.

The other new development for 2017 is that CBRu will lounch an Interacademies competition, with 3 rounds, TBC soon. CBRu now runs 3 high performance academies for top players, in São Paulo, São José and Florianópolis. This is to secure that top players won't be damaged by the smaller Super 8 next year. This experiment can lead to regional teams in the future.

It is worth to note that different from other big Southern nations Brazil DOESN'T have regional representative teams! Our rugby is made JUST by amateur clubs. It will be a new thing.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 994
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 01:11

victorsra wrote:The Brazilian Rugby Union (CBRu) unvailed the new model for the Brazilian top flight.

In 2017 the Super 8 will be reduce. The competition won't have the current 14 rounds anymore. It will be just 7 rounds, due to costs, with each facing all the others just once. However, the playoffs will start in the quarter finals. Yes, ALL clubs wiil qualify :roll: (I believe without relegation)

The reason is 2018. As CBRu can't anymore afford all those transportation costs (until 2016 CBRu was paying transport for all clubs) they will change the model to a regionalized competition, with more clubs, split in regional groups. They are still studying how it will work. More rational and realistic now with less money.

The other new development for 2017 is that CBRu will lounch an Interacademies competition, with 3 rounds, TBC soon. CBRu now runs 3 high performance academies for top players, in São Paulo, São José and Florianópolis. This is to secure that top players won't be damaged by the smaller Super 8 next year. This experiment can lead to regional teams in the future.

It is worth to note that different from other big Southern nations Brazil DOESN'T have regional representative teams! Our rugby is made JUST by amateur clubs. It will be a new thing.


Do Brazilians actively relate to which state/regions they are from?

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 01:50

Yes, a lot. Usually in a friendly way, but not always. Many regional differences and rivalries (and prejudice too). I think it is just like Australia.


In football's amateur era (until the 1930s) the state teams were in fact very popular in football (São Paulo vs Rio was huge with deep political tensions.. Minas Gerais and Rio Grande do Sul always powerful too). And rugby also had the São Paulo vs Rio representatives anual match. But with football turning professional this was lost. In rugby's case, the state teams ended when in the 1960s São Paulo was virtualy the only state with rugby. It took until the 2000s to see SP with not much more than half of the national championship clubs. Still in 2017 4 of the Super 8 clubs are from São Paulo state. But in 2016 for the first time the big Super 8 final had no SP club (which is good!).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 994
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 02:05

victorsra wrote:Yes, a lot. Usually in a friendly way, but not always. Many regional differences and rivalries (and prejudice too). I think it is just like Australia.


In football's amateur era (until the 1930s) the state teams were in fact very popular in football (São Paulo vs Rio was huge with deep political tensions.. Minas Gerais and Rio Grande do Sul always powerful too). And rugby also had the São Paulo vs Rio representatives anual match. But with football turning professional this was lost. In rugby's case, the state teams ended when in the 1960s São Paulo was virtualy the only state with rugby. It took until the 2000s to see SP with not much more than half of the national championship clubs. Still in 2017 4 of the Super 8 clubs are from São Paulo state.


That's interesting to learn and could mean this move toward establishing a more regional league could have a future. I think it's a positive move in terms of providing higher quality competition.

Posts: 222
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 02:48

Working Class Rugger wrote:
victorsra wrote:The Brazilian Rugby Union (CBRu) unvailed the new model for the Brazilian top flight.

In 2017 the Super 8 will be reduce. The competition won't have the current 14 rounds anymore. It will be just 7 rounds, due to costs, with each facing all the others just once. However, the playoffs will start in the quarter finals. Yes, ALL clubs wiil qualify :roll: (I believe without relegation)

The reason is 2018. As CBRu can't anymore afford all those transportation costs (until 2016 CBRu was paying transport for all clubs) they will change the model to a regionalized competition, with more clubs, split in regional groups. They are still studying how it will work. More rational and realistic now with less money.

The other new development for 2017 is that CBRu will lounch an Interacademies competition, with 3 rounds, TBC soon. CBRu now runs 3 high performance academies for top players, in São Paulo, São José and Florianópolis. This is to secure that top players won't be damaged by the smaller Super 8 next year. This experiment can lead to regional teams in the future.

It is worth to note that different from other big Southern nations Brazil DOESN'T have regional representative teams! Our rugby is made JUST by amateur clubs. It will be a new thing.


Do Brazilians actively relate to which state/regions they are from?


Always.

State identity is truly strong here. People feel proud of their states, we've a lot of inter-state rivalries, etc. Despite this, national unity is solid.

A Brazilian feel himself, first of all, as a Brazilian. Then, as a Paulista/Amazonense/Mineiro/etc (state). And nothing more. We don't feel a Latin American identity, e.g (which is sad).

edit: The people from the 9 Northeastern States have also a very strong and historical regional identity as Nordestinos. For example: if someone from São Paulo offends the state of Ceará (which belongs to Northeast), a listener from the state of Paraíba (idem) will certainly fell offended too.

Working Class Rugger wrote:That's interesting to learn and could mean this move toward establishing a more regional league could have a future. I think it's a positive move in terms of providing higher quality competition.


Of course
Last edited by SallesNeto_BR on Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 03:25, edited 2 times in total.

Posts: 994
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 03:06

SallesNeto_BR wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
victorsra wrote:The Brazilian Rugby Union (CBRu) unvailed the new model for the Brazilian top flight.

In 2017 the Super 8 will be reduce. The competition won't have the current 14 rounds anymore. It will be just 7 rounds, due to costs, with each facing all the others just once. However, the playoffs will start in the quarter finals. Yes, ALL clubs wiil qualify :roll: (I believe without relegation)

The reason is 2018. As CBRu can't anymore afford all those transportation costs (until 2016 CBRu was paying transport for all clubs) they will change the model to a regionalized competition, with more clubs, split in regional groups. They are still studying how it will work. More rational and realistic now with less money.

The other new development for 2017 is that CBRu will lounch an Interacademies competition, with 3 rounds, TBC soon. CBRu now runs 3 high performance academies for top players, in São Paulo, São José and Florianópolis. This is to secure that top players won't be damaged by the smaller Super 8 next year. This experiment can lead to regional teams in the future.

It is worth to note that different from other big Southern nations Brazil DOESN'T have regional representative teams! Our rugby is made JUST by amateur clubs. It will be a new thing.


Do Brazilians actively relate to which state/regions they are from?


Always.

State identity is truly strong here. People feel proud of their states, we've a lot of inter-state rivalries, etc. Despite this, national unity is solid.

A Brazilian feel himself, first of all, as a Brazilian. Then, as a Paulista/Amazonense/Mineiro/etc (state). And nothing more. We don't feel a Latin American identity, for example (which is sad).


Very similar to here in Australia. We're Australian first but we all do identify via our states domestically. Then oddly enough where we are from in those states such as I'm from Sydney as opposed to Wollongong or Newcastle etc.

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 03:23

This happens too in Brazil.

I can tell better about São Paulo state. Here there are many intercity rivalries too. And the classic opposition Capital vs Country (we call São Paulo City as "Capital", because it is the state's capital).

When São José Rugby Club (from São José dos Campos, an important city 100km from São Paulo City) wins against a "Capital" club they sing a song calling themselves as "Mighty Caipiras". "Caipira" is a name that Capital people use to offend those from the other cities of the state (except the coastal cities), more or less in can translate it as "redneck". But São José sing it in a proud way, like if they were "defying" the capital.

This capital vs country rivalry is common in almost all states.

Another interesting situation is Rio Grande do Sul, that has perhaps the strongest regional sentiment at the point that some more radical people there beleve they could be an independent nation. It is usually treated more as a joke, but in the past they fought for independence indeed. There they have an unique Latin American cross border identity, because many areas in Rio Grande do Sul have strong ties with Uruguay and Argentina.

Note: In all sports São José's rivalries are against the other Vale do Paraiba (Eastern São Paulo state area) cities, usualy Taubaté city, that is not strong in rugby. However, with Jacareí (a city close to São José) growing in rugby we are already seeing an aditional and very interesting regional good rivalry in rugby there.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 994
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 04:12

victorsra wrote:This happens too in Brazil.

I can tell better about São Paulo state. Here there are many intercity rivalries too. And the classic opposition Capital vs Country (we call São Paulo City as "Capital", because it is the state's capital).

When São José Rugby Club (from São José dos Campos, an important city 100km from São Paulo City) wins against a "Capital" club they sing a song calling themselves as "Mighty Caipiras". "Caipira" is a name that Capital people use to offend those from the other cities of the state (except the coastal cities), more or less in can translate it as "redneck". But São José sing it in a proud way, like if they were "defying" the capital.

This capital vs country rivalry is common in almost all states.

Another interesting situation is Rio Grande do Sul, that has perhaps the strongest regional sentiment at the point that some more radical people there beleve they could be an independent nation. It is usually treated more as a joke, but in the past they fought for independence indeed. There they have an unique Latin American cross border identity, because many areas in Rio Grande do Sul have strong ties with Uruguay and Argentina.

Note: In all sports São José's rivalries are against the other Vale do Paraiba (Eastern São Paulo state area) cities, usualy Taubaté city, that is not strong in rugby. However, with Jacareí (a city close to São José) growing in rugby we are already seeing an aditional and very interesting regional good rivalry in rugby there.


WR has stated they are going to bring Brazil into their HP systems. Which would be great if it involves either one of two outcomes in my opinion. Either the ability to establish more HP academies allowing for this structure to grow or setting up some kind of Sth American 'Super Rugby' like competition.

Posts: 222
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Wed, 28 Dec 2016, 04:52

Working Class Rugger wrote:Very similar to here in Australia. We're Australian first but we all do identify via our states domestically. Then oddly enough where we are from in those states such as I'm from Sydney as opposed to Wollongong or Newcastle etc.


Typical characteristics of continental countries (literally, in Australian case) :)

Working Class Rugger wrote:WR has stated they are going to bring Brazil into their HP systems. Which would be great if it involves either one of two outcomes in my opinion. Either the ability to establish more HP academies allowing for this structure to grow or setting up some kind of Sth American 'Super Rugby' like competition.


It's very interesting, but IMO the Brazilian priority should be expand the sport inside the country, strengthen clubs and expand competitions (today, Super 8 only acepts clubs from 6 states in 27!).

Is relevant to remember the Brazilian tradition of sport CLUBS, not franchises. I really don't know if a franchising competition of a minority sport like rugby could work well.

Probably a 'Libertadores' (the football south american champions league) like competition should work better.

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Feb 2017, 21:50

Awesome news from São Paulo city. A young club called São Bento Rugby Clube, that is currently playing São Paulo Championship second division, transformed an abandoned area in a small park located in an important central neighbourhood into a rugby-only field, partnering with local sub-municipality. They got highlights in major newspapers for this. Now we have another rugby field in São Paulo City, that has many clubs, but few good areas do play.

Image

And another rugby field can be reopened soon. Bandeirantes Saracens (Brazilian Saracens' partner) is working to make their field, also located in one of the best São Paulo city areas, suitable for official matches. Its dimensions are not big, but they are working on that. They have a long partnership with the University of São Paulo's Law School, that owns a alumni club and rented its field to Bandeirantes, that transformed it in a rugby-only field. Let's wait.

São Paulo City has other 3 rugby-only fields: the historic São Paulo Athletc Club field (SPAC), the São Paulo Rugby Union public field (located in a park in Tatuapé district, Eastern São Paulo) and the University of São Paulo rugby field (that has now permanent rugby posts and lines).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 10 Feb 2017, 22:10

Very nice! I wonder if they could fit in some small seating sections along the sides. Could probably fit 300 people if planned well.

Posts: 2774
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 21 Feb 2017, 22:53

The 2017 Men's Super Sevens (Brazilian Sevens Championship) participants are now definied. 12 clubs will play for the title in Niterói (Rio) on March 18th and 19th. 7 states and 9 cities represented:

SPAC (São Paulo, SP), Jacareí (Jacareí, SP), São José (São José dos Campos, SP), Pasteur (São Paulo, SP), Rio Branco (São Paulo, SP), Rio Rugby (Rio de Janeiro, RJ), Guanabara (Rio de Janeiro, RJ), Uberlândia (Uberlândia, MG), Curitiba (Curitiba, PR), Desterro (Florianópolis, SC), Farrapos (Bento Gonçalves, RS) and Melina (Cuiabá, MT).


Venue: Estádio Caio Martins
Image
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 222
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 01:10

BRAZIL 24 - 23 CANADA. Pacaembu Stadium (São Paulo), March 23, 2017.

Image

2016 - 5th of 6
2017 - 4th of 6
2018 - 3rd of 6
2019 - 2nd of 6.........
2020 - Here we go, Argentina! 8-)

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 01:11

Brazil move to 31st in the World Rankings.

Posts: 199
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby Raven » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 01:21

thatrugbyguy wrote:Brazil move to 31st in the World Rankings.


Big shuffle going on this weekend.

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 01:39

Do they dare to dream about 2019? Beat Uruguay and Canada again and they book a trip to Japan.

Posts: 210
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby carbonero » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 01:56

thatrugbyguy wrote:Do they dare to dream about 2019? Beat Uruguay and Canada again and they book a trip to Japan.

Great result but calm down. Canada with all their pros should still beat them comfortably

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], sammo, TheStroBro, Tintifax, WoodlandsRFC, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests