Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Brazil

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 01:58

Stranger things have happened. Guess we'll find out.

Postby Raven » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 02:03

thatrugbyguy wrote:Stranger things have happened. Guess we'll find out.

I have to agree with carbonero, is a nice result, good anecdote, but we saw what happened with Brazil when they traveled to USA this year after beating them on the last edition. Historic result indeed, but one can´t make it to a World Stage by winning one game only.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 02:05

Gives them belief though.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 03:07

carbonero wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Do they dare to dream about 2019? Beat Uruguay and Canada again and they book a trip to Japan.

Great result but calm down. Canada with all their pros should still beat them comfortably

Well, we played today with Tanque -- Tupis' better player -- still injured and after long absence (physical performance below his normal, so) and without David Harvey (who played the 2012 Super Rugby season and was our top scorer at the last ARC season).

I understand your point, but Brazil also didn't play at full strength

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 03:31

Who was really missing? We had the best team we could have... Harvey won't play again with Tupis jersey, he doesn't count anymore... Very different from Canada that missed big names in professional European leagues...

Of course Brazil woudn't beat a full strenght USA or Canada. But the fact that both USA in 2016 and Canada in 2017 used their "selects" of domestic rugby and we almost don't have players "made in Brazil" abroad is really significant. Brazil now has confidence, strategy, skill and phisicality to beat nations a couple of years ago we woudn't dare to dream about beating. That's awesome.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 03:35

victorsra wrote:

Who was really missing? We had the best team we could have... Harvey won't play again with Tupis jersey, he doesn't count anymore.. Very different from Canada that missed big names in professional European leagues...

Of course Brazil woudn't beat a full strenght USA or Canada. But the fact that both USA in 2016 and Canada in 2017 used their "selects" of domestic rugby and we almost don't have players "made in Brazil" abroad is really significant. Brazil now has confidence, strategy, skill and phisicality to beat nations a couple of years ago we woudn't dare to dream about beating. That's awesome.

It's definitely a positive sign that the domestic game is headed in the right direction.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 04:16

victorsra wrote:

Who was really missing? We had the best team we could have... Harvey won't play again with Tupis jersey, he doesn't count anymore... Very different from Canada that missed big names in professional European leagues...

I'm talking about a possible Brazil - Canada qualifying match (certainly the most important ever for Tupis). Yes, you know the "backstage" better than me, but in this hypothetical situation, shouldn't CBRu invite Harvey for one more cap? I guess it would be a mandatory investment.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Bolaroid » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 04:16

carbonero wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Do they dare to dream about 2019? Beat Uruguay and Canada again and they book a trip to Japan.

Great result but calm down. Canada with all their pros should still beat them comfortably

Is this the Argentina-Brazil sporting rivalry shining through in your post? :)

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Bolaroid » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 04:20

First congrats to the Tupis. :thumbup: Splendid result for a team which is making the most of its opportunities.

A few questions.

How much attention will this receive in Brazil?
Are attendances and viewing figures improving?
How reliant are Brazil on residency qualifications? i.e how many of the team are home-grown players?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 04:31

I'm talking about a possible Brazil - Canada qualifying match (certainly the most important ever for Tupis). Yes, you know the "backstage" better than me, but in this hypothetical situation, shouldn't CBRu invite Harvey for one more cap? I guess it would be a mandatory investment.

It depends on Ambrosio's wish. AFAIK Harvey wasn't the "group guy". Maybe he woudn't be that positive investment IMO. There are two players missing that would make the difference: Laurent (absent due to personal issues, aka university) and Fiori (but I am not sure how is Fiori's athletic life after Rio 2016...). Maybe Martin Schaefer, that is now focused on his new "father life". I think CBRu does not have anybody else to call, unless they indentify another promising Brazilian abroad.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 04:42

Not sure. Brazilian rugby public is growing, so it will reach the sports news in a positive way, definitly. But common Brazilians unaware about rugby won't pay attention in anything that is not a world title. I believe a victory like this will of course produce more interest about the sport, specially from TVs that are searching for new sports to invest. Let's wait, it is positive, but let's not be iluded.

I don't have TV's stats now. The attendances are stable for national team matches, ranging between 3 and 10k. That is good. Now we had 4k, put CBRu was selling tickets. When we put 10k in the stadium the tickets were free.

How reliant are Brazil on residency qualifications? i.e how many of the team are home-grown players?

100% reliant. Just 1 of the 23 players today was born away: New Zealander Josh Reeves, that lives here for at least 3 years (not sure, but he wasn't here to become a pro rugby player.. I think he married a Brazilian now). All the others were born in Brazil. The Sancery brother grew up in France, Rosetti and Giantorno started rugby while living in Argentina and Bengaló in Portugal. The rest is made in Brazilian rugby.

Luiz Vieira is playing in France but he started rugby in Brazil and went to France to try a professional career.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 05:13

victorsra wrote:

Not sure. Brazilian rugby public is growing, so it will reach the sports news in a positive way, definitly. But common Brazilians unaware about rugby won't pay attention in anything that is not a world title. I believe a victory like this will of course produce more interest about the sport, specially from TVs that are searching for new sports to invest. Let's wait, it is positive, but let's not be iluded.

Victor is right. We're a very strong coletive sports nation. We, Brazilians, are accustomed to see our national sides conquering international titles -- volleyball (M and W), beach volley (M and W), futsal, beach soccer and soccer, obviously; in the past, basketball).

If the table considered all the medals obtained, e.g., we'd be the 6th in the 2016 Olympic Games: http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiada ... ja-so.html

Therefore, it's so hard for a unknowled sport attract attention. For example, the handball women's team only won space on the media after the 2013 world title. Similarly, MMA losted a loooooot of space since the Brazilian players ceased to be protagonists in the "sport".

victorsra wrote:

I don't have TV's stats now. The attendances are stable for national team matches, ranging between 3 and 10k. That is good. Now we had 4k, put CBRu was selling tickets. When we put 10k in the stadium the tickets were free.

I guess 4k was a good number, considering that it was a post-carnival rainning friday (terrible schedule)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 05:23

TVs schedule, ESPN chose it. I personaly like Friday night: it doesn't clash with important soccer matches (in Brazil always Wednesday/Thursday, Saturday/Sunday, with Wednesday and Sunday bring the tradicional prime times... Tuesday and Friday are considered "second division" days) and doesn't mess up with club rugby (always Saturday, some matches Sunday).

We had in the past Tupis matches on Saturday afternoons in São Paulo and clubs did not stop their matches because of the Tupis. Friday is good for people that are in the city (although bad for people from other cities that want to travel to the match), but the 7 PM in São Paulo is definitly no good. Too early, people work a lot and the ciity is huge. 20:30 is the best time for sports on a Wednesday/Thursday/Friday.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 05:33

Bolaroid wrote:
carbonero wrote:

Is this the Argentina-Brazil sporting rivalry shining through in your post? :)

No way. We are invested in Brazil’s development. If we want this Super Rugby adventure to be sustainable, we need to involve them sooner rather than later.

The issue is that we tend to go overboard in this forum after some individual results, only to destroy said teams in the future when they fail to meet our unreasonable expectations. Asking Brazil to beat the full sides of Chile, Uruguay and Canada is wide of the mark. Let them grow at their own pace. They are doing great.

Postby Raven » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 11:49

victorsra wrote:

Exactly; no one will take away the joy of victory to the Brazilians specially after their performance against Argentina a week ago, but it wasn´t a full Canadian side and it probably was Brazil´s best XV. Objectives from both nations are very different, both seem to be in the right path, one trying to extend their squad and the other getting good competitive games behind their backs to build up a team and promote the sport better.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 23:11

carbonero wrote:

Uruguay will play home at the South American Championship.
The Americas repechage is home and away.

If Brazil won them, it would be a miracle.
I think that Uruguay has a reasonable chance of defeating Canada on aggregate.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 04:05

I believe it will be Uruguay home against Chile and away against Brazil, isn't it? And Brazil away against Chile. Don't know about Paraguay.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 15:06

Brazil move to 31st in the World Rankings.

30th, because Portugal beat the Netherlands.

Salles, you were right. 27th was our best result, 2009. Now I found.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 00:46

Brazil's progress has been exceptional. To be on level terms with Canada domestic XV is an achievement. A question. The big loss to USA away is a worry. What was the problem there for Brazil. Winning at home is good almost expected with advantages home side has. But winning away is what counts.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 06:10

The Brazilian "A" team, the "Brasil XV", starts today a tour to Argentina. There will be 3 matches:

March 8th - Brasil XV vs Córdoba Athletic Club
March 11th - Brasil XV vs Córdoba province representative team
March 14th - Brasil XV vs Tala Rugby Club

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 15:33

victorsra wrote:The Brazilian "A" team, the "Brasil XV", starts today a tour to Argentina. There will be 3 matches:

March 8th - Brasil XV vs Córdoba Athletic Club
March 11th - Brasil XV vs Córdoba province representative team
March 14th - Brasil XV vs Tala Rugby Club

Nice!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Mar 2017, 19:55

Brazil 55-12 Córdoba Athletic.

I don't know if it was Athletic's best team or just a development side too.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 10 Mar 2017, 03:23

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Mar 2017, 16:21

This Saturday 3 state championships will start in Brazil: Rio Grande do Sul (Gaucho Championship), Minas Gerais (Mineiro Championship) and Parana (Paranaense Championship). In fact last weeken the Cerrado Championship also started (with clubs from Goias and Tocantins + Brasilia's Federal Distric). The club season has begun.

São Paulo will kick off its championship (Paulista Championship) on March 25th. Rio de Janeiro (Fluminense Championship) and Santa Catarina (Catarinense Championship) are yet to anounce their fixtures, which is way too late. The Pantanal regional championship (Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso do Sul states) also starts on March 25th. The Northeast regional championship starts on March 18th, but without Bahia state clubs. Bahia will have its own state championship (Baiano Championship) starting on April 1st. No new about the Amazon regional competition.

São Paulo will have 4 divisons + Varsity championship this year again (the others are about to start too... the second division is pretty good), while Rio Grande do Sul will have a second division. The others are unclear.

About 2017, here tou are the clubs (with cities):
Rio Grande do Sul Championship (6 clubs): Farrapos (Bento Gonçalves), Charrua (Porto Alegre), San Diego (Porto Alegre), SC Rugby (Caxias do Sul... new merge of Serra and Caxias clubs), Brummers (Novo Hamburgo) and Universitario (Santa Maria);

Rio Grande do Sul Championship - Serie B (2nd division - 7 clubs): Centauros (Estrela), Planalto (Passo Fundo), Guasca (Porto Alegre), Pampas (São Leopoldo), Antiqua (Pelotas), Guaíba (Guaíba) and Chuy (Chuí) (No Arlequines from Rivera/Uruguay anymore...);

Paraná Championship (just 4 clubs, down from 5): Curitiba (Curitiba), Urutau (São José dos Pinhais), Pé Vermelho (Londrina) and Lobo Bravo (Guarapuava);

Minas Gerais Championship (5 clubs): BH Rugby (Belo Horizonte), Uberlândia (Uberlândia), Nova Lima (Nova Lima), Inconfidentes (Ouro Preto) and Inconfidência (Belo Horizonte);

São Paulo Championship (8 clubs): São José (São José dos Campos), Jacareí (Jacareí), SPAC (São Paulo), Pasteur (São Paulo), Band Saracens (São Paulo), Poli (São Paulo), Rio Branco (São Paulo) and São Carlos (São Carlos); (São = Saint... many holy cities :lol: )

São Paulo Championship - Serie B (2nd division - 10 clubs): União Rugby Alphaville (Barueri), Templários (São Bernardo do Campo), Tornados (Indaiatuba), Wallys (Jundiaí), Lechuza (Itu), Urutu (São Paulo), São Bento (São Paulo), São Jorge* (São Paulo), Cougars (Vinhedo) and ABC (Santo André);

*São Jorge = Corinthians team... the football club doesn't allow to give its name to any team in a state second division in other sports :? ... if they are promoted they will be renamed AFAIK

São Paulo Championship - Serie C (2nd division - 11 clubs): Medicina (São Paulo), Tucanos (São João da Boa Vista), Piratas (Americana), Jequitibá (Campinas), União (São Paulo), Tatuapé (São Paulo), Jaguars (Jaguariúna), Alto Tietê (Mogi das Cruzes), Armada (Santos), FEA (São Paulo) and Mackenzie (São Paulo);

São Paulo Championship - Serie B (4th division): TBA

Rio de Janeiro Championship: TBA

Santa Catarina Championship: TBA

Cerrado Championship (5 clubs): Goianos (Goiânia), Gigantes (Itumbiara), UNB (Brasília), Rugby sem Fronteiras (Brasilia) and Palmas (Palmas);

Pantanal Championship (5 clubs): Cuiabá (Cuiabá), Primavera (Primavera do Leste), Campo Grande (Campo Grande), Guaicurus (Três Lagoas) and Dourados (Dourados);

Bahia Championship (4 clubs): Orixás (Salvador), Ymborés (Vitória da Conquista), Porto Seguro (Porto Seguro) and Sergipe (Aracaju, Sergipe state);

Northeast Championship
(9 clubs) - Group A (Piauí and Maranhão states): Delta (Teresina), Piaui (Teresina), Parnaíba (Parnaíba) and Maranhão (São Luis); Group B (Ceará state): Sertões, Asa Branca and Tubarões (all from Fortaleza); Group C (from Rio Grande do Norte and Pernambuco states): Natal* (Natal) and Talleres (Recife);

*Formerly known as NaFor, Armstrong Dragons, Alecrim and Potiguar (world record of name changes :lol: )

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 17:43

Brazilian Men's Super Sevens Final Tournament is next weekend, in Niteroi (Rio de Janeiro). 12 clubs playing for the national title.

Grupo A: São José (SP), Guanabara (RJ), Uberlândia (MG) e Farrapos (RS)

Grupo B: Pasteur (SP), Desterro (SC), Curitiba (PR) e Rio Rugby (RJ)

Grupo C: SPAC (SP), Jacareí (SP), Rio Branco (SP) e Melina (MT)

Also Saturday we'll have an odd Repechage match between 2016 Super 8 7th team and Taça Tupi (2nd division) runners up, to decide who will play in 2017 Super 8: Niterói vs Poli. This match should have been played last year, but it was postponed. This means that Niteroi (7th in last Super 8), that would play Super Sevens at home, will have to be absent...

The match will be in Poli's home, the University of São Paulo rugby field.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum