Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Brazil

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 22:56

So people start learning about rugby when they turn 18 years old?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sat, 12 Jan 2019, 03:56

NaBUru38 wrote:So people start learning about rugby when they turn 18 years old?

i was 20...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 12 Jan 2019, 12:15

Yes and no.

Most people start after 17-18 yo.

But if we look at the Brazilian national team many players started in earlier ages as most of them started at the few clubs with junior rugby. The problem is junior rugby has a small calendar (for exemple, last year São Paulo was the only state with a 15-a-side junior competitions and the U19s championship had 4 clubs only.... ) and some clubs have a junior team in one year but give up lacking numbers in the other. Very frequent.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 21:44

If I was the CBRu, I would focus as much effort as possible in growing youth sides for clubs. It’s difficult to do with limited budget and staff but you can utilize programs like Get Into Rugby or focus on specific cities/regions first i.e. put all effort into growing rugby in SP first and then expand to other regions after a few years.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 22:11

If I haven't misunderstood the situation described by Brazilians here Get into Rugby would be of little help. They already have lots of kids getting into rugby, it's the bridge between non contact rugby and contact rugby and between these first steps in the sport and real rugby clubs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 22:29

Brazil is the land of Tag Rugby. Get into Rugby is well used here. The problem is the transition to contact rugby that does not happen like it should. Armchair is right.

In fact, I don't know of World Rugby knows propérly how to make it happen in countries like Brazil. Maybe another great exemple is India. I always see those images full of kids playing tag rugby but the Indian national team barely plays... I know nothing abut their club rugby, but it doesn't look well developed in terms of calendar as far as I could find.

Tag Rugby gives you numbers to show sponsors and media and it is good for the education of the kids. But means very little in terms of developing rugby.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 14:07

Brazilian 37-players squad for the ARC: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... ra-a-lista

Forwards: Yan Rosetti (CUBA, Argentina), Brendon Pinheiro (Pasteur), Endy Willian Pinheiro (Curitiba), David Muller Páscoa (BH Rugby), Michel “Vanzinha” Olimpio (São José), Walter Shildberg (Poli), Lucas Abud (Poli), Caique Silva (São José), Matheus “Blade” Rocha (Jacareí), Jardel Vettorato (Farrapos), Lucas “Bruxinho” Piero (Desterro), Gabriel Paganini (Band Saracens), Kauã Guimarães (Templários), Luiz Gustavo “Monstro” Vieira (Tyrosse, France), Matteo Dell’Acqua (Valorugby Emilia, Italy), Cléber “Gelado” Dias (Poli), Michael “Ilha” Oliveira (Curitiba), Arthur Bergo (SPAC), André “Buda” Arruda (Desterro), Matheus Claudio (Jacareí), Alexandre “Texugo” Alves (Warringah Rats, Australia);

Backs: Lucas “Tanque” Duque (São José), Daniel “Maranhão” Lima (Poli), Douglas Rauth (Curitiba), Josh Reeves (Utah Warriors, EUA), Moisés Duque (São José), Thiago Evaristo (Curitiba), Felipe Sancery (São José), Robert Tenorio (Pasteur), Lorenzo Massari (Parabiago, Italia), Stefano Giantorno (São José), De Wet Van Niekerk (Poli), Ariel Rodrigues (Jacareí), Daniel Sancery (São José), Lucas “Zé” Tranquez (Poli), Gustavo Pompeo (Montevideo Cricket, Uruguay);

Uncapped players: Lorenzo Massari (interesting, another Italian-Brazilian, never heard about him before), Pompeo (young player that left a São Paulo lower divisions club, União Rugby Alphaville, to play in Uruguay), Kauã Guimarães and Walter Shildberg.

Nice to see Alexandre Alves back. He left Desterro to play in Australian Shute Shield.

Yan Rosetti is out of February matches, injury. Might return for the March matches.

This is Lucas Duque's last year with the Tupis. He'll retire soon.

Devon Muller is not in the squad because I think he still can't play tests for Brazil (residency period). That's way he only played against the Maoris, Tucumán and Salta.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 27 Jan 2019, 22:32

Nice news: Armada Rugby Clube, from Santos (that plays São Paulo's third division) sealed a deal with Santos FC (the traditional football club, Pelé's and Neymar's club) to use a field in its youth training centre, "CT Meninos da Vila". The clube also adopted the name Armada Santos FC.

Santos FC was the only "Big 4" São Paulo state clubs that never had rugby.

This is the only main football-rugby partnership alive in Brazil. The only other is Salvador's club Galícia, a minor historical football club that has a rugby department and is Bahia state champion.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 10:00

Good to see. There's no reason football and rugby can't work together, they're cater to different audiences.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 18:41

Our Website, Portal do Rugby, is now 10 years old :D New challenges, new identity:

Postby 4N » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:05

Congrats guys. Another nice win. :thumbup:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:06

Brazil now up to 25 in the world rankings. They could get to as high as 22 if they beat the USA.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:09

That scrum but unbelievable

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:10

Great win for Brazil. They just bullied Canada. As much as I hate that it happened against Canada I'm glad to see Brazil progressing and getting stronger every year. Exciting stuff. Cheers boys.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:17

Brazil's scrum is so good. They were pushing us around for the full 80.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:43

GentsRugger wrote:Great win for Brazil. They just bullied Canada. As much as I hate that it happened against Canada I'm glad to see Brazil progressing and getting stronger every year. Exciting stuff. Cheers boys.

It was a shit game,, Brazils only tactic was to win penalties from set scrums and kick... shit all around.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:46

A win is a win. In 2015 Brazil beating Canada, let alone twice, was unimaginable.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:50

Exactly. At the moment winning is important more than the spectacle. They've got one area of the game down right, now just need to work on the others.

Postby 4N » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 00:53

snapper37 wrote:Brazils only tactic was to win penalties from set scrums and kick

We knew before the game that it was their main weapon. Your coaches weren’t able to come up with a plan to counter it.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 01:14

snapper37 wrote:
GentsRugger wrote:Great win for Brazil. They just bullied Canada. As much as I hate that it happened against Canada I'm glad to see Brazil progressing and getting stronger every year. Exciting stuff. Cheers boys.

It was a shit game,, Brazils only tactic was to win penalties from set scrums and kick... shit all around.

Well ..... That's rugby sometimes. ;) It's only shit when you lose. :x

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby GentsRugger » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 01:33

snapper37 wrote:

Get out of here. They had a game plan and they executed it. Good forward play can be exciting. Watching a scrum get beat to a pulp is entertaining. Brazil also played pretty solid defense which is also enteraining. Brazil played well and deserved that win. Don't come in here now trying to belittle them because it wasn't entertaining enough for you. Shit game for Canada...but just because they lost doesn't mean it was a bad game. Get lost.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Feb 2019, 02:11

Awesome scrum! But yes we need to be more than this if we want to achieve more. Very concerning situation for Canada too...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 15:25

How much each state union represented in senior 15s in Brazil in 2018?

More: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/colunas ... brasileiro

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 16:06

victorsra wrote:How much each state union represented in senior 15s in Brazil in 2018?

Really interesting post.
Apart from Sao Paulo that is a surprising low number. I expected way more. Germany has 123 clubs under German law. I just scanned through the tables at rugbyweb.de and around 100 different clubs participate in XVs. And our numbers are not really that good.
Also, does jogos really stand for games played? That would be only under 5 games played per club. In Germany that number is not good but I would guess that it is not under 10 per club. Or did I misread something here?
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 16:22

Jogos = matches
Campeonatos = competitions (in that case divisions)

Very low. I've been telling that Tupis and Brazilian club rugby are really worlds apart and oir growth is not sustainable...

I will publish also a ranking showing how many official matches each club played. The club with more matches 20 matches iirc

Many clubs played less than 10 (around 7 is pretty normal).

The lowest number is 2! 4 clubs had only 2 matches... Of course not counting 5s friendlies, 10s and 12s or 7s...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum