Serra 2
BC Rugby 0
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Re: Rugby in Brazil

Unread postby Rowan » Sun, 02 Aug 2015, 20:31

Which clubs are from which cities?
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 05:23

Super 8:

SPAC, Pasteur and Band Saracens are from São Paulo City
SPAC = São Paulo Athletic Club is the traditional British club, founded in 1888. Very few players now have British origins;
Pasteur Athlétique Club was born in 1981 as club, but they were the junior side of a local French school Liceu Pasteur. Also very few players now have French origins;
Bandeirantes Rugby Club, now associated with the Saracens (becoming Band Saracens), was born as the first "Brazilian" club in 1983.

São José Rugby Clube is from São José dos Campos, in São Paulo state, 100km from São Paulo City and famous for aerospacial industry (Embraer)
Associação Jacareí Rugby is from Jacareí, in the São José metropolitan area.

Curitiba Rugby Club is from Curitiba, Paraná state capital.

Desterro Rugby Clube is from Florianópolis, Santa Catarina state capital (Desterro is the former name of Florianópolis)

Farrapos Rugby Clube is from Bento Gonçalves, as you know in the mountain regions of Rio Grande do Sul state. The name comes from "Farrapos War" (Ragamuffin War), the Rio Grande do Sul's failed secessionist war in the 19th century (Bento Gonçalves is the name of one of the leaders and the city was named after him).

Taça Tupi:
Associação Politécnica Rugby (called Poli) and Rio Branco Rugby Clube are from São Paulo City. Poli is the team of the Polytechnic (Engeeenering) School of São Paulo University (USP). USP has other teams, but Poli is the strongest and they recently become an open club. Rio Branco is one of the most traditional clubs in Brazil and they are born, as Pasteur, from the former students of a local school, Rio Branco College, in 1976 (as Bandeirantes they are a "Brazilian" club, but in opposed to Bandeirantes they were born in a school).

Wallys Rugby is from Louveira, São Paulo state also, about 70km from São Paulo City. The club was born in 2004 in the neighbour and bigger city of Jundiaí city, but Louveira municipality offered them a local stadium and some assistance. "Wallys" name is a joke as the club uses red and white stripped shirt, such as "Where is Wally?" kids books.

Niterói RFC is one of the most traditional clubs in Brazil, from Niterói city, in Rio de Janeiro area, famous for British influence. Guanabara Rugby Club is from Rio de Janeiro city.

BH Rugby = Belo Horizonte Rugby Club, from Belo Horizonte, capital of Minas Gerais state.

Associação Maringá Rugby is from Maringá city and Londrina Rugby Clube is from Londrina, the two major Paraná state cities after Curitiba.

BC Rugby = Balneário Camboriú Rugby Club, it is from Balneário Camboriú, in Santa Catarina.

Serra Rugby Clube is from Caxias do Sul, a major city in Rio Grande do Sul, close to Bento Gonçalves.

Charrua Rugby Clube and San Diego Rugby Club are the two clubs from Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul capital. Charrua is the name of local indigenous tribes (that also inhabited Uruguay) and "San Diego" (which is a Spanish name, as "San", or Saint, in Portuguese is "São") was founded by an Argentine guy.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 08:08

Much obliged, Victorsra. That's exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps it's a bit simplistic, but I was really hoping to see a bigger representation from Porto Alegre, which strikes me as an especially promising region due to its large cosmopolitan population (4th biggest metropolitan area with 4.5m), milder climate and relatively close proximity to Uruguay & Argentina. Yes, I know all about the Charrua. They were a warrior tribe exterminated (in Uruguay) by Europeans. :evil: Anyway, looks like Sao Paulo is the hub of Brazilian rugby, unsurprisingly, though I saw a lot of beach rugby being played in Rio when I was there - right alongside soccer and volleyball.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 16:32

I was really hoping to see a bigger representation from Porto Alegre, which strikes me as an especially promising region due to its large cosmopolitan population (4th biggest metropolitan area with 4.5m), milder climate and relatively close proximity to Uruguay & Argentina.

Charrua is the current Brazilian women's champions, but you are right, the men's side is underachiving. However, for me they are one of the favorites this year for promotion in Taça Tupi, as the champions go up directly. I believe it is a matter of time for Charrua to be there. San Diego also improved a lot, but they lack in organization still. Charrua has now their own rugby field (they renovated a abandoned field for a local club), but San Diego is still searching for a home (they are playing in Gravataí, a city in the metropolitan region).

Anyway, looks like Sao Paulo is the hub of Brazilian rugby, unsurprisingly, though I saw a lot of beach rugby being played in Rio when I was there - right alongside soccer and volleyball.

From the 1940s to the 1980s rugby was played just in São Paulo city and Niteroi, with the competition basically being a São Paulo championship with Niteroi. In the 80s Curitiba RC was born, as well Rio Rugby and Guanabara clubs (Rio Rugby already existed but it wasn't pretty active, as it was formed basically by expats) and São José RC (taking rugby to other São Paulo state areas). Rugby spread to Santa Catarina and Minas Gerais just in the 90s and astonishingly to Rio Grande do Sul just in the 2000s. So there is no surprise São Paulo is still the hotbed. But now Rio Grande do Sul is definitly the second strongest state in rugby and the only state that could have more than one club in Super 8 apart from São Paulo.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyKanal » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 18:22

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/7746/37/ Germany will tour Brasil in November/December. Including two Test Matches.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Mon, 03 Aug 2015, 21:40

Do the Rio Grande do Sul clubs have much contact with Uruguay and Argentina, I wonder? Shouldn't be too difficult to arrange friendlies, either home or away or somewhere in between. Good to see the Germans set to tour Brazil. The results will be intriguing. It would be nice if one of the tests were played in Porto Alegre, which has a large ethnic German population.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 06:48

There is contact, but much less than it could be. That's the next step they must do.

Germany will be a very nice challenge. For sure one much will be in Rio Grande do Sul state. Probably either in Bento Gonçalves or Novo Hamburgo (New Hamburg) region. Porto Alegre's problem is the lack of proper stadiums available for rugby. There are three football clubs with suitable stadiums for a decent event. Two are impossible to be used by rugby: the big stadium of Internacional and Gremio, as it would cost too much to rent. Unless some other agreement can be reched. Gremio is particularly interestng as they are the German comunity club. The third stadium belong to São José, a small club that could become the best option. Their 10.000-places stadium would be perfect. But I believe the easier option would be Novo Hamburgo region municipal stadiums, in cities like Ivoti, São Leopoldo, Gravataí, Campo Bom and Novo Hamburgo itself. It is Porto Alegre metropolitan area with German influence.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 06:58

If the Americas 6 Nations gets up and running where would Brazil play their games? Small stadiums to start with?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 07:34

Thanks again, Vistorsra. All very enlightening :thumbup:

thatrugbyguy wrote:If the Americas 6 Nations gets up and running where would Brazil play their games? Small stadiums to start with?

Perish the thought :evil: If that competition gets off the ground, it's going to need to be played at major venues in order to sustain itself and attract the level of attention Pichot somehow seems to think it deserves.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 04 Aug 2015, 15:00

Yes, sincerely I don't see this competition happening, but the guys of Brazilian Rugby Union are confident it will go on.

If we put 10.000 people in the stadium is a great achievement, so I don't believe we need stadiums bigger than 10.000-15.000 places, specially because a 40-50.000 stadium empty is worse than a 10.000 stadium full. Stadium atmosphere makes people return to the stadium because it is fun. But I know they are trying to have soon a match in a World Cup-like arena, either one of the World Cup stadiums or one of the other couple of stadiums recently built with the same quality and size (like Palmeiras or Gremio stadiums, or Rio's Olympic stadium). I woudn't be surprised if they manage to gave a match in Maracanã. The question is: does it worth?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 09 Aug 2015, 03:41

Super 8 - 6th round
Jacareí 19 x 15 Pasteur
SPAC 22 x 15 Curitiba
Band Saracens 31 x 38 Farrapos
Desterro 07 x 22 São José

São José 23 6 5 0 1
Curitiba 19 6 4 0 2
SPAC 17 5 4 0 1
Farrapos 14 6 3 0 3
Desterro 14 6 3 0 3
Pasteur 12 6 2 0 4
Band Saracens 9 5 1 0 4
Jacareí 6 6 1 0 5

Taça Tupi - 3rd round
Serra 35 x 19 BC Rugby
Charrua 00 x 12 San Diego
Poli 26 x 32 Niterói
BH Rugby 44 x 13 Guanabara
Maringá 48 x 18 Londrina
Rio Branco x Wallys – Postponed

Grupo A
Wallys 9
Rio Branco 5
Maringá 5
Londrina 1

Grupo B
Niterói 15
Poli 11
BH Rugby 6
Guanabara 0

Grupo C
San Diego 13
Serra 7
Charrua 4
BC Rugby 0

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 21:05

Super 8 - 7th round
Curitiba 26 X 20 São José
Desterro 23 X 13 SPAC
Farrapos 25 X 05 Pasteur
Band Saracens 28 X 06 Jacareí

São José 24 7 5 0 2
Curitiba 23 7 5 0 2
Desterro 18 7 4 0 3
Farrapos 18 7 4 0 3
SPAC 17 6 4 0 2
Band Saracens 13 6 2 0 4
Pasteur 12 7 2 0 5
Jacareí 6 7 1 0 6

Taça Tupi

Delayed match: BC Rugby 10 x 80 Charrua

San Diego 13
Charrua 9
Serra 7
BC Rugby 0

It is not clear what wll happen with Rio Branco's two postponed matches.

Anyway, looks like Sao Paulo is the hub of Brazilian rugby, unsurprisingly, though I saw a lot of beach rugby being played in Rio when I was there - right alongside soccer and volleyball.

Rowan, in which month have you been to Rio? January?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 21:45

August. It was about 30 degrees every day and I swam in the sea at Copacabana and Ipanema, no problem. Evenings I'd return to the beach for a few caipirinhas and watch the beach rugby. Some of the games were played around 10 or 11pm, probably due to the day-time heat, and there was a surprisingly high standard on display. I got talking with one of the coaches, a French guy, and he explained he had players from Argentina, Uruguay and France out there. It was part of some international youth training program.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 22:32

Yep, Rio's heat is terrible even in the "winter". I believe you met the guys of Guanabara. As they don't have their own field they used to train in the beach. I asked this because there is a very nice beach rugby tournament in January in Copacabana.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Tue, 18 Aug 2015, 06:54

January? Sounds like a recipe for heart attack :evil:

So Guanabara had foreign imports but can't afford a field?? :?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 18 Aug 2015, 18:46

anuary? Sounds like a recipe for heart attack :evil:

So Guanabara had foreign imports but can't afford a field?? :?

Yep, tough.

Fields are a huge problem in Rio and São Paulo metropolis. There is just one field in Rio city that Rio Rugby FC rents from URFJ (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro). I can't understand why Guanabara can't use it also (probably any shit issue). Last year Guanabara started talks with the military field in Deodoro where the Olympic tournament will be held. They used twice the field and nevermore. Ridiculous. And there are lots of shit football clubs in Rio, at least one could like the idea of being associated to an Olympic sport...

For the record, Niteroi RFC also rents a field from the UFF (Fluminense Federal University) in Niteroi.

NEWS: Band Saracens made a partnership with Palmeiras club, one of the biggest in Brazilian football, to use their country club as venue for Super 8 matches. It is REALLY far in deep outskirts of São Paulo, but at least it is a nice move from a football giant club. They had rugby in the 80s exactly in this same country club.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Tue, 18 Aug 2015, 21:00

Wow, 5th biggest country in the world and there's a shortage of playing fields?? :?

Anyway, those guys were all so pleased to meet me just because I told them I used to play in New Zealand :lol: The coach and I had a long chat afterward. He was a completely bald French guy, around forty, a little over 6ft tall (ring any bells)?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Aug 2015, 01:31

5th biggest country but concentrated on South-Southeast, where major big cities have crazy real state markets that are real big menace to public green areas... huge discussions about parks and sports areas. Incredible how municipalities and schools just focus on indoor sports structures (in Brazil if it is suitable to football - or futsal - it is enough). In fact Brazilian kids play much more futsal than football. Paradoxically it is both the origin of the dribbling skills and the answer for the decline of Brazilian football quality. That's why for me the future for rugby is in small-medium cities, like São José ods Campos, Jacareí, Bento Gonçalves...

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Wed, 19 Aug 2015, 08:57

Sure, the comment was partly tongue-in-cheek. We have the same problem in Istanbul with lack of suitable pitches. Turkey might be more than twice the size of Germany, and almost three times the size of NZ, but Istanbul's a city of nearly 20 million and a rapidly shrinking list of green areas (esp. under the current government). :evil:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Aug 2015, 19:46

Pretty much like São Paulo and Rio.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 24 Aug 2015, 14:03

Super 8 - 8th round
Jacareí 23 X 36 Curitiba
Band Saracens 21 X 15 São José
SPAC 41 X 05 Pasteur
Farrapos 20 X 19 Desterro

Curitiba 28 8 6 0 2
São José 25 8 5 0 3
SPAC 22 7 5 0 2
Farrapos 22 8 5 0 3
Desterro 19 8 4 0 4
Band Saracens 17 7 3 0 4
Pasteur 12 8 2 0 6
Jacareí 6 8 1 0 7

Taça Tupi - 4th round
Charrua 43 X 10 BC Rugby
San Diego 52 X 12 Serra
Maringá 29 X 43 Wallys
Londrina 00 X 44 Rio Branco
Guanabara 05 X 25 Poli
Niterói 67 X 07 BH Rugby

Grupo A
Wallys 19
Rio Branco 10
Maringá 6
Londrina 1

Grupo B
Niterói 20
Poli 16
BH Rugby 6
Guanabara 0

Grupo C
San Diego 18
Charrua 14
Serra 7
BC Rugby 0

*Wallys was awarded this week 5 points for the postponed match Rio Branco vs Wallys, 3rd round, as CBRu judged that was Rio Branco's fault the

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 14:27

http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... x-alemanha

Brazil vs Germany on 28th November will be in Blumenau, in Santa Catarina, a city famous for German heritage.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Unread postby Rowan » Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 15:27

Just out of Florianopolis, within a day-trip of Rio, Sao & Porto Alegre by car, if I'm not mistaken. Seems a pretty good choice. :thumbup:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 30 Aug 2015, 21:55

Surprising results as Curitiba and São José felt at home. Better for SPAC, that will face Band Saracens in the rescheduled match next saturday. However, Band Saracens is rising and they are definitly entering in the dispute.

Super 8 -9th round

Curitiba 08 X 22 Band Saracens
São José 12 X 19 Pasteur
SPAC 42 X 17 Farrapos
Desterro 49 X 11 Jacareí

Curitiba 28 9
SPAC 27 8
São José 26 9
Desterro 24 9
Farrapos 22 9
Band Saracens 21 8
Pasteur 16 9