Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Kenya vs Uganda - Rugby Afrique Gold Cup 24th June 2017

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Kenya vs Uganda - Rugby Afrique Gold Cup 24th June 2017

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 16:06

I have to say I thought Uganda were unlucky with the penalty try at the end. In Europe they'd usually have one or two scrum resets and maybe a yellow card before offering a penalty try. Maybe there was an extra infraction I hadn't seen. Was good control by the Kenyan 8 anyway.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 16:22

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Loved that, the Ugandan coach's face was a picture. He was so nervous. Great kicking from the tee, loads of speed and some good offloading. Good atmosphere too.

How strong was this Kenyan team compared to the one that narrowly lost to Germany?

And are Uganda out of the running for RWC qualification?

It was pretty much the same team though the major differences would have to be that they lost their captain, Wilson Kopondo (second row) to injury after the Germany game. Oliver Mangeni was promoted from the bench to start in the second row. Tactical changes would be the inclusion of UK based number 8 Joshua Chisanga and the exclusion of former 7s playmaker, Biko Adema who was replaced by Isaac Adimo at flyhalf. Chisanga was not released by Falcons in time for the game against Germany. Incidentally, Chisanga studied his A levels in Uganda and played on the same school team with Uganda's number 15 Philip Wokorach. They also lost their

Today's team : 1.Moses Amusala (KCB), 2. Peter Karia (KCB), 3. Dennis Karani (Resolution Impala Saracens), 4. Simon Muniafu (Resolution Impala Saracens), 5. Oliver Mang’eni (KCB), 6. Eric Kerre (Resolution Impala Saracens), 7. Davis Chenge (KCB), 8. Joshua Chisanga (Newcastle Falcons, England), 9. Sam Onsomu (Resolution Impala Saracens), 10. Isaac Adimo (SportPesa Quins), 11. Jacob Ojee (KCB), 12. Patrice Agunda (SportPesa Quins), 13. David Ambunya (SportPesa Quins), 14. Darwin Mukidza (Captain)(KCB), 15. Tony Onyango (Menengai Cream Homeboyz)
REPLACEMENTS: 16. Philip Ikambili (Menengai Cream Homeboyz), 17. James Kubasu (Resolution Impala Saracens), 18. Curtis Lilako (KCB), 19. George Nyambua (Kabras Sugar), 20. Steve Otieno (Menengai Cream Homeboyz), 21. Kenny Andola (KCB), 22. Brad Owako (Mwamba RFC), 23. Leo Seje (Resolution Impala Saracens)

Team against Germany: 1.Moses Amusala 2.Peter Karia 3.Dennis Karani 4.Wilson Kopondo (Captain) 5.Simon Muniafu 6.Eric Kerre 7.Davies Chenge 8.Martin Owila 9.Samson Onsomu 10.Biko Adema 11.Jacob Ojee 12.Patrice Agunda 13.David Ambunya 14.Darwin Mukidza 15.Tony Onyango
Replacements
16.Bram Mayaka 17.Philip Ikambili 18.Oscar Simyu 19.Oliver Mangeni 20.George Nyambua 21.Kevin Masai 22.Leo Seje 23.Dennis Muhanji

At the moment, all 6 teams playing in the Africa Gold Cup are theoretically in with a chance to qualify for the world cup. At the end of the competition though, number 6 though gets relegated and number one from the division below will be promoted.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 16:25

I've seen plenty of tries given that quickly when it is going forward that quickly.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 16:33

Thomas wrote:No love lost in that match, I would say they are out as they lost last week?

The rivalry between Uganda and Kenya in any sporting fixture is always intense. :)

Uganda is not out though. The match played 2 weeks ago in Uganda has no bearing at all on the Rugby Africa matches. It was leg one of the annual Elgon cup which is an international fixture outside of the Rugby Africa fixtures. Today's game doubled up as game 1 of the RA fixtures for both Uganda and Kenya and the second leg of the Elgon cup. Both countries save time and money using this game as the second leg of Elgon cup :D Uganda narrowly lost 18-23 to Kenya at home so Uganda needed to win by 6 points to overturn the deficit to bag the Elgon cup. A draw was enough for Kenya to take the 2017 Elgon cup - the mountain is still theirs ... for now. However, when it comes to the RA competition, Uganda and Kenya are equal right now. Both teams need to ensure that they finish in 5th place or higher so that they remain in the Gold Cup - number 6 gets relegated for the 2018 season. Number one from what was formerly known as Tier 1B is promoted so they would also be in the running for a WC slot. 2018 is the when the final phase of the WC qualifiers - the winner qualifiers directly as Africa's representative while number 2 goes to the repechage tourney.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 16:46

On another thread, Neptune says that next year will revert to a 4 team format. If true, then numbers 5 and 6 from this year will be relegated and there will be no promotion from the lower tier meaning only numbers 1-4 have an opportunity to qualify for the world up.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:11

Thanks for the information ugrugbychiclet. If that is roughly the same strength Kenya that Germany only just defeated then I think Uganda may be quite a bit better than their current world ranking suggests.

sk 88 wrote:I've seen plenty of tries given that quickly when it is going forward that quickly.

Yeah, I think you are probably right on that. I don't normally see such a one sided scrum these days and imagine that would definitely be a factor in the referee's decision making.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:50

It looks like Kenya fall behind Portugal in the rankings to 26th and Uganda jump five places up to 40th, leapfrogging Senegal who fall 6 places to 45th!

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 13:15

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Loved that, the Ugandan coach's face was a picture. He was so nervous. Great kicking from the tee, loads of speed and some good offloading. Good atmosphere too.

How strong was this Kenyan team compared to the one that narrowly lost to Germany?

And are Uganda out of the running for RWC qualification?

This was the same team that played Germany, apart from the Captain Wilson Kopondo, who got injured in the German game.
This year is a battle to avoid relegation with 2018 being the qualifying year.
Im extremely mad at how the Simba Xvs played. Drawing with a team ranked 20 slots below us is just humiliating to say the least.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 13:21

ugrugbychiclet wrote:On another thread, Neptune says that next year will revert to a 4 team format. If true, then numbers 5 and 6 from this year will be relegated and there will be no promotion from the lower tier meaning only numbers 1-4 have an opportunity to qualify for the world up.

Yes, number 5 and 6 get the boot, while 1-4 proceed to fight for a slot at RWC next year.

Let's see how Namibia fares off with Tunisia, but im sure those Arabs will come hitting hard at the Welschwistas. :)

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 13:30

sk 88 wrote:Kenya leading 23-20. Good crowd in. Player being stretchered off. 20 mins to go

A crowd of 9,000 was recorded on Saturday.

Those are fantastic numbers for a tier 3 rugby match.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 16:03

Awful result for an ambitious Kenya team. They will be swept by Namibia.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Natal » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 18:07

Neptune wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:On another thread, Neptune says that next year will revert to a 4 team format. If true, then numbers 5 and 6 from this year will be relegated and there will be no promotion from the lower tier meaning only numbers 1-4 have an opportunity to qualify for the world up.

Yes, number 5 and 6 get the boot, while 1-4 proceed to fight for a slot at RWC next year.

Let's see how Namibia fares off with Tunisia, but im sure those Arabs will come hitting hard at the Welschwistas. :)

Source? My impression was that the six-team model would be permanent. Why did they even bother with the expansion if they were just going to revert back the original format the following year?

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 20:27

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/qualifying/africa/bracket

it is imperative to change formats year in year out. Imagine a competition that would be guided by logic. Would be ridiculous, confusing fans, forcing federations to make plans. Maybe they want a double round robin format. But maybe they just decided planning a 6 nations tournament is way too difficult (and hence noone plays in such formats) PLUS who wants to see MORE GAMES for qualification. In my opinion the best choice would be to take the Top 2 of 2017 and let them play a single world cup decider in the country which pays most. Sorry for my sarcasm, but it really annoys me. a lot.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 20:44

Haha. Apologies for any ignorance on my part but I did not find that link conclusive. By a strange coincidence Planet Rugby just posted an article mentioning the Gold Cup format.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/springb ... -rankings/

They appear to consider that only the 6th place side will be relegated and eliminated from RWC qualification (kind of like the REC if it had automatic relegation). I wouldn't imagine they'd be experts though.

Good to see African rugby getting some coverage in a mainstream outlet.

EDIT: It appears to just be a copy and paste of a World Rugby article so it is likely to be more credible information on the Gold Cup I would have thought?

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 21:46

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Haha. Apologies for any ignorance on my part but I did not find that link conclusive. By a strange coincidence Planet Rugby just posted an article mentioning the Gold Cup format.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/springb ... -rankings/

They appear to consider that only the 6th place side will be relegated and eliminated from RWC qualification (kind of like the REC if it had automatic relegation). I wouldn't imagine they'd be experts though.

Good to see African rugby getting some coverage in a mainstream outlet.

EDIT: It appears to just be a copy and paste of a World Rugby article so it is likely to be more credible information on the Gold Cup I would have thought?

I also assumed that this 6 team format was to stay (at least for longer than one year) and number 6 would be relegated. One of the reasons for expanding to 6 teams was to give more teams an opportunity to qualify for the world cup. The 4 team format for next year is news to me and does not make sense at all.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 04:06

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugb ... lification

Sorry guys my bad, I guess I got wrong feedback from a rugby personnel in Rugby Afrique, but from what im seeing above, 1 team gets the boot, while the

winner of the Silver cup, most likely Madagascar gets promotion to the top tier.

Thanks guys for noting that correction.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 04:08

One of the major things I noticed about the Kenya Simbas is they were over- confident and looked down upon Uganda.

The second thing is the last 20 minutes always seems to be our achilles heel. Same thing happened in the German game, but here are some talking points on

Saturday's game.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/talking- ... ith-uganda

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby SANE17 » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 06:27

Neptune wrote:One of the major things I noticed about the Kenya Simbas is they were over- confident and looked down upon Uganda.

The second thing is the last 20 minutes always seems to be our achilles heel. Same thing happened in the German game, but here are some talking points on

Saturday's game.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/talking- ... ith-uganda

Simbas have switched roles with cranes. The Simbas used to struggle against cranes forwards but dominate the back-line. Nowadays, the forwards have improved in all departments but the backs are struggling with basics. I would have loved to have the Kilonzo brothers at the centre with their powerful running rugby.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 14:46

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 16:44

I must say I thought the standard of the match was fairly low. Basics like handling and defensive organisation was pretty poor. I think a World Cup team (or even a decent second division side in England or NZ) would put a lot of points on that defence.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 04:06

sk 88 wrote:I must say I thought the standard of the match was fairly low. Basics like handling and defensive organisation was pretty poor. I think a World Cup team (or even a decent second division side in England or NZ) would put a lot of points on that defence.

you must understand rugby is a hobby in sub - saharan Africa and not a proffesion. South Africa are the only ones who have proffessionalised the game.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby SANE17 » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 06:44

Neptune wrote:
sk 88 wrote:I must say I thought the standard of the match was fairly low. Basics like handling and defensive organisation was pretty poor. I think a World Cup team (or even a decent second division side in England or NZ) would put a lot of points on that defence.

you must understand rugby is a hobby in sub - saharan Africa and not a proffesion. South Africa are the only ones who have proffessionalised the game.

True! Those guys go for practice late in the evenings after job for a few minutes several times a week!

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum