Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Canada - Romania, June 17th

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Canada - Romania, June 17th

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:09

amz wrote:http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/local-sports/canada-loses-25-9-in-rugby-test-match-against-romania

Canada appeared to fight their way back into the game with a 54th-minute try, but once again points were taken off the board by the referees. Moments before the score, Vandermerwe was battling a Romanian for an airborne ball and inadvertently tackled his opponent, earning him a penalty.

“How that’s a yellow card is beyond me. As soon as he missed the ball, he pulled out (of the battle),” head coach Mark Anscombe said. “That would have made it 17-16 and an entirely different game.”

What? :shock:

Saw the same thing in the USA-GEO match. Mikey Te'o jumped up to catch a ball and he was tackled in the air. I would state that Anscombe is sour, defending his player, but not taking responsibility of the poor tackle himself like a coach should do. The Coach's responsibility is to take the heat off his players, he just added more heat to his side and himself with those comments.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:37

To me the man problem is development and getting players, who either play for a bit in high school or club rugby, or even those that play a bit on a U20 side, to keep developing their game. Players hit a dead end though at 20-22 and either quit or turn to rugby as a social thing only. Or they somehow land on the NSMT and seem to play rugby very sparingly. We need players getting coached better and playing meaningful games in leagues. This can ONLY happen at the club level, so the answer is to try to improve this. There are a million different thing that could be done in this area, but they need some form of centralized direction and structure. On the women's side club rugby still means something and you can see 20 girls come out, all in top shape, that look athletic and play good rugby. You then see the men's side and there are a few good athletes, but it is like the land of misfit toys, people completely out of shape, the best players the least engaged etc.

Fluffing the best young players feathers, telling them how great they are when they can't pass left even, putting them on teams that don't lose. This is entirely unproductive.

If you take what works its way to Anscombe, we are already fucked.

Debating over Ray Barkwill vs Benoit Piffero or the merits of Rumball v. Heaton is at this point shuffling the decks on the Titanic.

The fact is that Canada played yesterday with the following players who should not be NSMT or at best backups:
- DSD
- Barkwill
- Beukeboom
- Braid (based on his play at 10)
- Andrew Coe
- Connor Keys
- The other prop
- Nick Blevins
- Dan Moor

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:55

Was_a_Kat wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again: club rugby needs to be improved and made meaningful. Look at the women's side of things.

Canada's pet projects: Braid, Blevins, Coe, Rumball, DSD, look like guys that don't even play competitive rugby. Honestly, they are playing a social out there.

You can't win games with players as unathletic as Beukeboom, Barkwill etc.

Is there a rock bottom? Nope. I wonder what a guy like DTH even gets out of this anymore?

Also, for once can we please field our best side. The Irish dude should have been playing 10 with Braid at 12

This is going a long way back, but the switch around 1997 to Premier rugby in BC really hurt some clubs. It was the beginning of eroding the base of rugby in BC - players jumping clubs, RC parachuting players in and out, telling them where to play. Instead of players rising to the top organically, it was manipulated.

I think the Pride produced some talent but I'm not sure most of those players wouldn't have made it anyway, and it may have circumvented the selection process in some cases.

For Barkwill to get this many caps is impressive and also sad. He works hard but brings nothing special. Blevins is the same at C - creates nothing. Would be a terror in club rugby.

It seems like across the country more and more kids are playing rugby, but we still can't get top athletes into certain positions. In my opinion we need more games for more players at a higher level. Maybe a longer gestation period as well before players get capped.

Sorry for the ramble. It all feels forced, manipulated and f-ed up.

I agree 100%

Guys like Barkwell can't compare to guys like Cardinal, and is totally overrated, I've always though Carpenter should be playing Hook, he's too small for international back row. I'm not a fan of Justice Duru, he's lazy..... I would take an old Eddie Evans over him. .

Don't get me started on McRorie. he's slow, predictable and unexciting.

I'll have a hard time putting time aside next week to watch them lose to the yanks

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 19:26

It seems Canada start to understand and to panic. If Spain beat Romania and take Europe 1 spot, Romania would have to beat Tonga to qualify which is very conceivable. If finally Uruguay learn from ARC and beat Canada. We have the perfect deadly repechage Tonga, Canada, Hong Kong, Kenya.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 20:49

snapper37 wrote:
Was_a_Kat wrote:
marvinparsons wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again: club rugby needs to be improved and made meaningful. Look at the women's side of things.

Canada's pet projects: Braid, Blevins, Coe, Rumball, DSD, look like guys that don't even play competitive rugby. Honestly, they are playing a social out there.

You can't win games with players as unathletic as Beukeboom, Barkwill etc.

Is there a rock bottom? Nope. I wonder what a guy like DTH even gets out of this anymore?

Also, for once can we please field our best side. The Irish dude should have been playing 10 with Braid at 12

This is going a long way back, but the switch around 1997 to Premier rugby in BC really hurt some clubs. It was the beginning of eroding the base of rugby in BC - players jumping clubs, RC parachuting players in and out, telling them where to play. Instead of players rising to the top organically, it was manipulated.

I think the Pride produced some talent but I'm not sure most of those players wouldn't have made it anyway, and it may have circumvented the selection process in some cases.

For Barkwill to get this many caps is impressive and also sad. He works hard but brings nothing special. Blevins is the same at C - creates nothing. Would be a terror in club rugby.

It seems like across the country more and more kids are playing rugby, but we still can't get top athletes into certain positions. In my opinion we need more games for more players at a higher level. Maybe a longer gestation period as well before players get capped.

Sorry for the ramble. It all feels forced, manipulated and f-ed up.

I agree 100%

Guys like Barkwell can't compare to guys like Cardinal, and is totally overrated, I've always though Carpenter should be playing Hook, he's too small for international back row. I'm not a fan of Justice Duru, he's lazy..... I would take an old Eddie Evans over him. .

Don't get me started on McRorie. he's slow, predictable and unexciting.

I'll have a hard time putting time aside next week to watch them lose to the yanks

Cardinal wasn't even that strong by International standards, but he was much more serviceable.

Carpenter is a force in the open play but I like a bigger body at 8. I wish they had stuck with converting Carps.

I was stunned at how high DSD ran yesterday. Too many front row players looking to run the ball too often. Not everyone is Keith Wood or Rod Snow.

DTH seemed to be the only player with the consistent poise to take the ball to ground for a ruck. The amount of desperation passes was astounding. A ruck inside the 22 after a gain is a good thing.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 22:20

Blevins looked like he was stuck in quicksand and didn't pass the ball when he ought to have.

Braid and others were just shoveling the ball to the wing without even taking a step forward. By the time it got to around the outside centre they were screwed and usually made some ill conceived mercy pass or a ridiculous kick.

As others said DTH seems to be the only guy even turned on, though I'll give Hearn some credit there. I liked how Heaton played, though he's undersized. The rest was basically a pile of crap.

Canada needs bigger, stronger, faster players. Period.

If I lined up against some of these guys in a club match I wouldn't even be particularly worried. That shouldn't be the case!!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 00:55

At this point, I play hard for my club, and if the national team plays nearby it's a fun day out.

I think I'll cheer for Scotland in the WC.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 06:06

Canada have the players to do better than that. Last autumn in Bucharest your scrum looks much better with almost the same players!It's about your game plan who looks adapted to play 7s rugby with 15 guys.Its not a sin to make some mauls from the line outs, or two have 2-3 successive pngs. You need to give a better platform for your backs. When we got down with one player you should put pressure on the forwards in the first place & after that to open the game. You just hurry up and we manage to slow the ball after all your handling errors and decisive passes.
If you go deeper in the problem, you need a better club competition in Canada and to send your best players in Europe (where it looks like you have good connections).
From my point of view Canada is not so strong like few years ago but you just need to grow confidence right now because you have all you need in this team to beat USA or Uruguay.Good luck to the World Cup!

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 14:19

Bogdan_DC wrote:Canada have the players to do better than that. Last autumn in Bucharest your scrum looks much better with almost the same players!It's about your game plan who looks adapted to play 7s rugby with 15 guys.Its not a sin to make some mauls from the line outs, or two have 2-3 successive pngs. You need to give a better platform for your backs. When we got down with one player you should put pressure on the forwards in the first place & after that to open the game. You just hurry up and we manage to slow the ball after all your handling errors and decisive passes.
If you go deeper in the problem, you need a better club competition in Canada and to send your best players in Europe (where it looks like you have good connections).
From my point of view Canada is not so strong like few years ago but you just need to grow confidence right now because you have all you need in this team to beat USA or Uruguay.Good luck to the World Cup!

I also know that Canada are a very good team, but I think they just had a bad day in the office. Im sure as time goes by, they will rise from the ashes like the phoenix.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 15:21

Anyone have a replay link for film study?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 16:37

No highlights available yet, this is friggin bush league.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 16:40

Yeah this is really annoying, not on acrossthetasman as well...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 17:07

If you're in Canuckistan you might be able to see the highlights...http://www.tsn.ca/carpenter-earns-recor ... a-1.782054

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 19:24

Rugby Canada uploaded the highlights on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RugbyCanada/vi ... 362320195/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum