Re: Canada - Romania, June 17th

Postby victorsra » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 01:20

highlights?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 04:19

Said it before and I'll say it again: club rugby needs to be improved and made meaningful. Look at the women's side of things.

Canada's pet projects: Braid, Blevins, Coe, Rumball, DSD, look like guys that don't even play competitive rugby. Honestly, they are playing a social out there.

You can't win games with players as unathletic as Beukeboom, Barkwill etc.

Is there a rock bottom? Nope. I wonder what a guy like DTH even gets out of this anymore?

Also, for once can we please field our best side. The Irish dude should have been playing 10 with Braid at 12

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 05:34

marvinparsons wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again: club rugby needs to be improved and made meaningful. Look at the women's side of things.

Canada's pet projects: Braid, Blevins, Coe, Rumball, DSD, look like guys that don't even play competitive rugby. Honestly, they are playing a social out there.

Is there a rock bottom? Nope. I wonder what a guy like DTH even gets out of this anymore?

Also, for once can we please field our best side. The Irish dude should have been playing 10 with Braid at 12

I can't agree with you more than I do. There are so many things wrong at NSMT level that it is an impossible fix short term. Until we get more players playing meaningful and competitive games the slide will continue. I used to be naively optimistic but four years of futility have stripped that from me. Because we lost by more than 15 points we lose the maximum number of rating points and we are going fall below Kenya and Hong Kong on the international rankings list. We will now be ranked 25th in the world when the new rankings come out on Monday. Two losses to USA should see us fall below Belgium and Portugal. In November 2010 we beat Belgium 46-12 with what was something less than our strongest side available. Soon we will be looking up at them in the ratings list. Someone scoffed at me recently on the Canadian Rugby thread when I suggested Canada would fail to qualify for RWC 2019. We have no reason to believe that we will beat the US and a win against Uruguay would be considered an upset.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 05:45

Romania made huge progress after adding islanders and other guys.
Romania in 2015 and Romania today are different teams. much better performance from Oaks. Looks like naturalization is playing a good factor on Romania.

Johannes van Heerden
Luke Samoa
Sione Faka'osilea
Paula Kinikinilau
Jack Umaga
Jack Cobden
Tangimana Fonovai
Stephen Shennan

These guys made Oaks play better.

Congrats for a victory. And WR must know that they made mistake when they stripped a RWC spot from Europe.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 05:53

I am bit surprised how clear this result is. Playing 43 Minutes with one man down and winning 25-9 away is a great achievement for Romania.
Will Canada play against the next best Euro teams like Russia, Spain, Germany next?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 06:52

Some of those guys have been in our squad from 2015 also.The difference I think is that now we have 2-3 competitive players on every position which is great. For example Luke Samoa is nowhere near Fercu but is great to have him as a cover.Also we have enough locks&wings without them. The sector where they really make a difference is on centers where we suck in the past and these guys bring power & speed. Hopefully our young centers like Popa will learn from them because he already looks like a great prospect.Eventfully this guys bring a change of play style for Romania. With Lazar, Fercu, V.Ursache&Burcea back in the squad I think we could challenge better ranked teams.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 07:01

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:Romania in 2015 and Romania today are different teams. much better performance from Oaks. Looks like naturalization is playing a good factor on Romania.

Yes and no, it's a mix. The game changed seriously with arrival of Moffat. If you look at the forwards, there are some new faces there and they try to play a different game than before. Kinikinilau, Rose, Wiringi, Van Heerden played at RWC 2015 but didn't changed the game radically and if you look at matches from November, the backline was quite different. as Bogdan says, the real added value is at centers.

Back to this match, Turashvili gesture was stupid and was about to cost us the match, luckily Oaks kept their composure and didn't panic. Refing was meh, I think DTH barely escaped a red for that tackle to Dumitru and Canadians should stop trying to provoke all around the pitch. TV broadcast quality was surprisingly low and it is hard not to give credit now to FRR for the way they organised tests and Nations Cup in Bucharest.

I think is a good tour for Oaks and one should take into consideration that they didn't played away for many years, outside RWC and the fatigue for changing the timezones was surely a factor that influenced their play. Oaks defense was unforgiving and the level of physicality they put into it was hard to match by Canucks. With some small tweaks and more experience in this sort of touring I think Oaks can look soon for wins away vs likes of Japan, Georgia or Pacific Islanders.

I am happy for the debut of 19 yo Simionescu and hopefully we'll see a more experimental XV vs Brazil.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 08:35

amz wrote:[I think Oaks can look soon for wins away vs likes of Japan, Georgia or Pacific Islanders

That is too early to talk about until we see Romanian performance in Tbilisi (2018 REC). Last time it was disastrous. We are all looking forward for that match and will be interesting. Until than:

What about ThisNovember tests? Who are oaks opponents?
Last edited by RugbyPUBtbilisi on Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 08:36

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/local ... st-romania

Canada appeared to fight their way back into the game with a 54th-minute try, but once again points were taken off the board by the referees. Moments before the score, Vandermerwe was battling a Romanian for an airborne ball and inadvertently tackled his opponent, earning him a penalty.

“How that’s a yellow card is beyond me. As soon as he missed the ball, he pulled out (of the battle),” head coach Mark Anscombe said. “That would have made it 17-16 and an entirely different game.”

What? :shock:

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 08:53

amz wrote:http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/local-sports/canada-loses-25-9-in-rugby-test-match-against-romania

Canada appeared to fight their way back into the game with a 54th-minute try, but once again points were taken off the board by the referees. Moments before the score, Vandermerwe was battling a Romanian for an airborne ball and inadvertently tackled his opponent, earning him a penalty.

“How that’s a yellow card is beyond me. As soon as he missed the ball, he pulled out (of the battle),” head coach Mark Anscombe said. “That would have made it 17-16 and an entirely different game.”

Oh that is just low. If I've ever seen a well deserved yellow, that was it.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 08:55

We need FIRST TO QUALIFY at WC, this should be our main focus.All other games are just bonuses.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 09:02

Great second half adjustments by Romania and I loved the double offloads for their first try in the second half. The Romanian commentator seemed almost lost for words with it.

I don't mean to pour salt on the wounds for Canada but their TV production and stadia this last week is very poor compared to the past. This was Canada vs Italy 12 months ago. Very professional. Hopefully they can get back to that sort of experience off the pitch.

https://youtu.be/4fkbqoDbTFU

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 09:13

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Great second half adjustments by Romania and I loved the double offloads for their first try in the second half. The Romanian commentator seemed almost lost for words with it.

I don't mean to pour salt on the wounds for Canada but their TV production and stadia this last week is very poor compared to the past. This was Canada vs Italy 12 months ago. Very professional. Hopefully they can get back to that sort of experience off the pitch.

https://youtu.be/4fkbqoDbTFU

Canada vs USA will be at Tim Hortons Field which looks pretty good to me, similar to BMO which is where the Italy game was played

Postby Bonscott » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 09:43

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:The Romanian commentator seemed almost lost for words with it. I don't mean to pour salt on the wounds for Canada but their TV production and stadia this last week is very poor compared to the past.

Well he was a tad annoying at times when mentioning game organization and stuff, although there was truth in it, as camera angles were poor and anthems were a nightmare...but at times he was funny, especially when he said that the ref talking to the TMO by phone must be a first :roll: .

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 09:47

It happened before : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ1KIxvgfQY

As for commentators, I heard Romanian one was much better than Canadian one as well.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 09:56

amz wrote:CANADA:

1. Anthony Luca – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Burnaby, BC
2. Ray Barkwill – (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
3. Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
4. Brett Beukeboom, co-captain – (Cornish Pirates/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON
5. Evan Olmstead – (Newcastle Falcons/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC
6. Tyler Ardron – (Chiefs/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON
7. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC
8. Aaron Carpenter – (Doncaster Knights/Ontario Blues) Brantford, ON
9. Gordon McRorie – (UBC Old Boys Ravens/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
10. Connor Braid – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
11. Sean Duke – (UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
12. Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
13. Conor Trainor – (USON Nevers/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
14. DTH van Der Merwe, co-captain – (Newcastle Falcons) Victoria, BC
15. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

16. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Club/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
17. Djustice Sears-Duru – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
18. Ryan Ackerman – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Saskatoon, SK
19. Conor Keys – (UVIC Vikes/Atlantic Rock) Stittsville, ON
20. Kyle Baillie – (London Scottish/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI
21. Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
22. Shane O’Leary – (Unattached) Cork, Ireland
23. Andrew Coe – (UBC Thunderbirds/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

OAKS:

1.Ionel Badiu (Carcassonne)
2.Otar Turashvili (Colomiers)
3.Andrei Ursache (Carcassonne)
4.Johannes Van Heerden (Stiinta Baia Mare)
5. Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens)
6. Vlad Nistor(Albi)
7.Viorel Lucaci (Steaua Bucuresti)
8.Mihai Macovei (C) (Colomiers)
9.Florin Surugiu (Steaua Bucuresti)
10.Florin Vlaicu (Steaua Bucuresti)
11. Ionut Dumitru (Steaua Bucuresti)
12.Sione Fakaosilea (Stiinta Baia Mare)
13.Paula Kinikinilau (CSM Bucuresti)
14.Fonovai Tangimana (Timisoara Saracens)
15. Luke Samoa (Stiinta Baia Mare)

Subs
16. Constantin Pristavita (Stiinta Baia Mare)
17. Andrei Radoi (Timisoara Saracens)
18.Alexandru Tarus(Sale Sharks)
19. Marius Antonescu (Colomiers)
20. Andrei Gorcioaia (Valence D’Agen)
21.Tudorel Bratu (Dinamo Bucuresti)
22. Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)
23. Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

So basically, for the Canadian squad, the first team is the club and the second team is the franchise? Just the way you would have in New Zealand a player playing for Cantebury as the club and the Crusaders as the franchise team? Please enlighten me amz. Thanks

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 11:12

Jim Dixon – General Manager of Rugby Operations and Performance – there’s no quick fix.

“Our stated goal is to qualify for the 2019 World Cup and improve on our results. We will not waiver from these objectives. We will analyze all aspects of our performance in the ARC and make the necessary adjustments to ensure the best possible outcome in the June series.

Was this what you had in mind Jim? :lol:

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 11:18

GentsRugger wrote:The honest reason for including the CRC teams in the teamsheet for the players is for Rugby Canada to show off the CRC and say "look what our great pathway produced" even though everyone knows the CRC is a joke. Nobody that plays overseas still plays on the CRC teams. It's just Rugby Canada patting themselves on the back. Nothing more.

By CRC, do you mean Canadian Rugby Championship?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 12:14

Neptune, you're right on both accounts. It's Club/Franchise, and CRC means Canadian Rugby Championship.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 12:25

amz wrote:http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/local-sports/canada-loses-25-9-in-rugby-test-match-against-romania

Yeah, no idea what he's thinking there. Seemed like a pretty clear yellow to me; At the very least, a penalty, which would mean bringing the play back regardless.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 12:34

grande wrote:Neptune, you're right on both accounts. It's Club/Franchise, and CRC means Canadian Rugby Championship.

Thanks for the clarification grande. Please reccomend for me a good rugby club to join in the oshawa ontario area. Thanks

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Was_a_Kat » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 13:16

marvinparsons wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again: club rugby needs to be improved and made meaningful. Look at the women's side of things.

This is going a long way back, but the switch around 1997 to Premier rugby in BC really hurt some clubs. It was the beginning of eroding the base of rugby in BC - players jumping clubs, RC parachuting players in and out, telling them where to play. Instead of players rising to the top organically, it was manipulated.

I think the Pride produced some talent but I'm not sure most of those players wouldn't have made it anyway, and it may have circumvented the selection process in some cases.

For Barkwill to get this many caps is impressive and also sad. He works hard but brings nothing special. Blevins is the same at C - creates nothing. Would be a terror in club rugby.

It seems like across the country more and more kids are playing rugby, but we still can't get top athletes into certain positions. In my opinion we need more games for more players at a higher level. Maybe a longer gestation period as well before players get capped.

Sorry for the ramble. It all feels forced, manipulated and f-ed up.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 13:56

Neptune wrote:
grande wrote:Neptune, you're right on both accounts. It's Club/Franchise, and CRC means Canadian Rugby Championship.

Thanks for the clarification grande. Please reccomend for me a good rugby club to join in the oshawa ontario area. Thanks

I think the Vikings are the only team in Oshawa: http://www.vikingsrugby.ca/

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 14:02

grande wrote:
Neptune wrote:

I think the Vikings are the only team in Oshawa: http://www.vikingsrugby.ca/

Thanks Grande

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canuckruck » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 15:44

I can't remember the last time I was this despondent about Canadian Rugby. Ok that's a lie...our 7s program under Liam Middleton left me equally despondent. i don't think that our problems are the players....This is a coaching, selection and development issue more than anything. Having watched two U20 men's games and two national Men's games, in person, in the last two weeks, with out a doubt the U20s are a better coached. Can the talent we have do better than they are currently? Absolutely, and that is a coaching issue. This CBC quote from Mark Anscombe speaks volumes:
When asked if the team felt prepared for a June 24 Rugby World Cup qualifier against the United States, Canadian head coach Mark Anscombe gave a bleak response.

“The answer would have to be no. It was a very poor performance. We didn’t do anything that we set out to do and that’s disappointing,” Anscombe said.

Coaching is clearly the problem here (along with access to players, tyranny of geography, etc)

When it comes to development, our player pathways have been a scrambled disjointed mess for years. Political and preferential at the Provincial level. Nationally a shambles too.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum