RomaniaRomania

Re: June 24th - Romania vs Brazil

Postby amz » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 09:55

Glad you have good time here!

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 13:44

Looks like the gap between t2 and t3 is still wide. For Romania to score half a century past Brazil is not a good sign for things to come.

WR needs to have more t1 play t2 and t2 play t3 to bridge this gap.

This is not funny at all.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 13:49

Brazil has played USA, Canada, Uruguay (x2) and Romania this year. Plus Argentina XV. How more often should they play T2?

This, playing 16th ranked nation away, was obviously way out of their reach. It has nothing to do with the general treatment given to T3 teams and Brazil is a privileged one among them, expected to return to Europe next November.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 13:59

Armchair Fan wrote:Brazil has played USA, Canada, Uruguay (x2) and Romania this year. Plus Argentina XV. How more often should they play T2?

This, playing 16th ranked nation away, was obviously way out of their reach. It has nothing to do with the general treatment given to T3 teams and Brazil is a privileged one among them, expected to return to Europe next November.

Im talking about other t3's. Brazil just happens to be among the lucky few. I mean, Kenya rarely gets t2 matches. At least this year we get to meet Russia in Hong Kong, but previously WR just hang us out to dry.
I can't remember Uganda playing any team in XVs outside of Africa.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 14:05

The solution is to, where possible, have the lower ranked side host the higher ranked one. At least in instances where there is a big rankings gap. I'm pretty optimistic about Brazil's opportunities in the future, as AF points out above, they play loads of Tier2 sides. You are right Neptune to point out African rugby is overlooked. A win against Germany or Russia for Kenya would have made World Rugby stand up and take notice.

I also think Romania are now playing at a level considerably higher than their world ranking suggests. I think they are not far off Japan and Georgia. Possibly not even far off Fiji. The way they manhandled Canada with one man less, then Canada outplayed the US the next week, was really eye opening.

As disappointing and borderline stupid as this fixture was, at least it shows a continued effort to have intercontinental Tier2 vs Tier3 fixtures. I am sure World Rugby will improve in selecting appropriate fixtures. The most important thing is that the will is there.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 14:19

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:The solution is to, where possible, have the lower ranked side host the higher ranked one. At least in instances where there is a big rankings gap. I'm pretty optimistic about Brazil's opportunities in the future, as AF points out above, they play loads of Tier2 sides. You are right Neptune to point out African rugby is overlooked. A win against Germany or Russia for Kenya would have made World Rugby stand up and take notice.

I also think Romania are now playing at a level considerably higher than their world ranking suggests. I think they are not far off Japan and Georgia. Possibly not even far off Fiji. The way they manhandled Canada with one man less, then Canada outplayed the US the next week, was really eye opening.

As disappointing and borderline stupid as this fixture was, at least it shows a continued effort to have intercontinental Tier2 vs Tier3 fixtures. I am sure World Rugby will improve in selecting appropriate fixtures. The most important thing is that the will is there.

Yeah, had we beaten Germany, WR would start looking in our direction, unfortunately we lost the game. Hopefully the Simbas can proove a point when they travel to Hong Kong in the November window.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 14:28

Highlights

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 15:26

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:I also think Romania are now playing at a level considerably higher than their world ranking suggests. I think they are not far off Japan and Georgia. Possibly not even far off Fiji. The way they manhandled Canada with one man less, then Canada outplayed the US the next week, was really eye opening.

I think it is obvious Romania plays at a higher level for some time, the difference is now is doing consistently and also offers some young players. If you look at team, likes of Antonescu, Pristavita, Bratu, Nistor, Dumitru are under 25 and these are only those who constantly featured in the team before RWC 2015, I didn't mentioned those added after the tournament.

Romania did won constantly Nations Cup in last years and not with the best squad available, usually players from France were not called or only some of them were called, I remember we won at some point with 3rd choice props vs Russia.

It would be normal not to send again Brazil in Bucharest. I thought it's a mistake from the beginning, would have made it much more sense to play Brazil home and not change 3 continents in 3 weeks.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 16:11

I think a 50 points defeat isn't bad and it is really normal for a 16th against a 29th ranked teams, playing for the first time. In 2015 Brazil woudn't dream to be playing in Romania against the Oaks! And Romania should have travelled in June just to 1 max 2 continents, not 3.

I agree the mistake is that Brazil should be playing at home in June and in Europe im November. This match should have happend in November. But it is an absolutely fine and expected result and I am glad to see that Romania is helping an emerging T3 nation to improve just like the T1s should do for Romania. And Brazil should do the same for Colombia.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 05:35

victorsra wrote:I think a 50 points defeat isn't bad and it is really normal for a 16th against a 29th ranked teams, playing for the first time. In 2015 Brazil woudn't dream to be playing in Romania against the Oaks! And Romania should have travelled in June just to 1 max 2 continents, not 3.

I agree the mistake is that Brazil should be playing at home in June and in Europe im November. This match should have happend in November. But it is an absolutely fine and expected result and I am glad to see that Romania is helping an emerging T3 nation to improve just like the T1s should do for Romania. And Brazil should do the same for Colombia.

Victorsra, I think you are forgetting one thing. November internationals are strictly Europe. There are a few here and there outside Europe, but the bulk of them

are in Europe. That is why, Kenya rarely plays in November, because the Union is always crying that they are broke.

It's only this time round we can be guaranteed of travel after they secured a 600 million cheque from SportPesa.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 08:05

The fact Brazil is getting such regular high level fixtures now is only going to do them good for the future regardless of the result. One thing to note for Brazil, they have to develop much larger players, there's a noticeable difference in physique between them and the Romanians.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum