Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

June 24th - Romania vs Brazil

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: June 24th - Romania vs Brazil

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:14

victorsra wrote:Dan Jones (Wales)

That ref doesn't look or sound like someone named Dan Jones.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:20

The refs interpretation at the breakdown area is really annoying me. He lets the Defence lay all over the ball.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:23

I would say Romania are quite a bit stronger than the USA and Argentina XV (who are strongest sides Brazil usually face). Glad to see the score is a bit more respectable in the second half, but I'd imagine Romania will have relaxed a little with the game completely safe.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:27

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:I would say Romania are quite a bit stronger than the USA and Argentina XV (who are strongest sides Brazil usually face). Glad to see the score is a bit more respectable in the second half, but I'd imagine Romania will have relaxed a little with the game completely safe.

Agreed Bruce,

Biggest areas all the amateur sides struggle with when playing a fully professional outfit is the set piece and physical side. The Romanian team is just so much bigger and stronger.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:34

Brazil are Rugby Europe trophy level team.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:37

fullbackace wrote:Brazil are Rugby Europe trophy level team.

I think the ref has tried to keep the game flowing but Brazil's rucking is atrocious. They aren't making any attempt to even stay in their feet or roll away.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:51

Final score 56-5 Romania. Turned off the gas a little that half.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:01

This game shows the real level of the Brazilians, but the T2 nations are still too much for them.
It was cleary the improvment of their rugby and I hope they play more times against other T3 like the South Americans, some Europeans like Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and the Africans too. Kenya, Uganda and Zimbabwe are maybe in the same level.
They need more time to grow in their play system and to grow in fitness.
Time and work are the words.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:09

The ref was up and coming Georgian Shota Tevsadze. I thought he had a good game. When you hear word "boys" coming out of refs mouth every 10 seconds, you can safely assume he is from Georgia.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:10

argie wrote:This game shows the real level of the Brazilians, but the T2 nations are still too much for them.
It was cleary the improvment of their rugby and I hope they play more times against other T3 like the South Americans, some Europeans like Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and the Africans too. Kenya, Uganda and Zimbabwe are maybe in the same level.

The problem for me is the Brazilian pack, they are undersized and understrength but these are things that can be worked on to some extent with conditioning. Sancery (fullback) could walk into a lower league professional club I'd suggest.

They should not have been playing a full test in Romania, even if it was a scouting expedition about the Romanian Superliga (which could have been done seperately, and when the Superliga was actually in action).

But "Rome wasn't built in a day" and Brazilian progress is extremely good and should continue to be thanks to the Americas Rugby Championship. They should try and get involved in mini-tournaments like the one last year in Hong Kong with Zimbabwe, Russia and Papua New Guinea but World Rugby seem intent on sending them to play better sides overseas (like Germany and Romania) and I'm not sure that is in their interests at this stage. They are already exposed to four stronger sides each year (Uruguay, Canada, USA and Argentina XV) and they will learn from that. But I'd like to see games against sides closer to their level where they have a real chance of victory.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:20

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:
argie wrote:This game shows the real level of the Brazilians, but the T2 nations are still too much for them.

The problem for me is the Brazilian pack, they are undersized and understrength but these are things that can be worked on to some extent with conditioning. Sancery (fullback) could walk into a lower league professional club I'd suggest.

They should not have been playing a full test in Romania, even if it was a scouting expedition about the Romanian Superliga (which could have been done seperately, and when the Superliga was actually in action).

But "Rome wasn't built in a day" and Brazilian progress is extremely good and should continue to be thanks to the Americas Rugby Championship. They should try and get involved in mini-tournaments like the one last year in Hong Kong with Zimbabwe, Russia and Papua New Guinea but World Rugby seem intent on sending them to play better sides overseas (like Germany and Romania) and I'm not sure that is in their interests at this stage. They are already exposed to four stronger sides each year (Uruguay, Canada, USA and Argentina XV) and they will learn from that. But I'd like to see games against sides closer to their level where they have a real chance of victory.

Romania needs a T1 test, they are clearly better than both NA teams. Both Canada and US have some great players but I would say Romania has better depth in their side.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:24

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:

I'm agree.
The ilussion was the victories to Uruguay, USA, and Canada in the past two ARC. But those lineups weren't the most strong.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:48

Our federation is very opened in helping Latin countries, as it was the case last year when we played twice against Uruguay, this year when we had a training session with Portugal before the start of the REC and now with Brazil.

However, we need strong opponents. We have also many young players under 21 that need such games. The rugby stadium will go under construction. The federation will have a new modern fully covered stadium of 8000-10.000 seats. Really hope to see an oppening game against Tier 1 on the new stadium. :thumbup:

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 19:26

Japan looked a good experience for Romania and World Rugby appear committed from giving you one home Tier 1 test a year from June 2019. I reckon if you can stay in the worlds top 16 you'll get at least one Tier 1 test per year through to 2032, which can only help our development.

Hopefully a bit of common sense kicks in from the powers that be and you get one next year as the gap between yourselves and several sides that get at least one Tier 1 contest per year is growing (e.g. Samoa, Canada, USA). Failing that, Fiji and Japan would be good tests.

The goal for November has to be to overtake Italy in the rankings. Georgia started getting Tier 1 tests soon after doing that.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 11:41

You have to consider this Oaks generation never toured in June , nor November, the only occasion was RWC. With all that, I am content even with the match vs Japan where they showed they can hurt a team with 2 years of SR experience and I really hope we will play in the opener of 2019. So overall, considering changing 3 continents for 3 matches, I think they did well. Now rumor is in November we will play home Fiji, Samoa and Tonga which is fine by me. Clearly they shouldn't send again Brazil after this match.

In Canada Oaks adapted very well down to 14 man and overcome 29 hours flight and jetlag.

Finally, it was a holiday match vs Brazil and probably the unusual heat for this time of the year made them taking the foot of the gas in second half. I think Howells, Moffat and Cuttita are one of the best T1 coaching staff.

LE: I didn't watched Brazil much until now, is normal for them to be so nervous and comment to ref?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 12:12

Yes, a very impressive June for Romania, particularly the second halves against Japan and Canada. Even more impressive than last November.

I think that would be a satisfactory line up of tests in November with enough ranking points on the table to make 12th or 13th possible. I don't think any Pacific Island side would enjoy playing at your national stadium with the narrower field and Samoa and Tonga would be underdogs in my mind. Fingers crossed it happens.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 12:17

amz wrote:I think Howells, Moffat and Cuttita are one of the best T1 coaching staff.

I see what you did here :D

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 12:21

Armchair Fan wrote:
amz wrote:I think Howells, Moffat and Cuttita are one of the best T1 coaching staff.

I see what you did here :D

:lol:

I think it was because I thought they could be part of any T1 coaching staff but yeah , spot on :D :thumbup:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 13:31

Brazil were out of their depth v Romania but I'm surely impressed with the proactive Brazilian rugby Union. They have embraced the world of test rugby and are actively seeking new nations to play. They really needed a couple of weeks in Europe playing a couple of tests say against Czech Republic and Poland with a couple of mid week games against development sides of both nations. Bit like a Lions tour 8-)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 14:09

I didn't watched Brazil much until now, is normal for them to be so nervous and comment to ref?

They were more nervous than the usual. Maybe they weren't expecting to be smashed in the first half. Brazil is a student at the international rugby scene. It is a first step. The Tupis rised very quickly, we need to be patient.

About refs, I am a bit concerned about Brazilian rugby players specially in our club rugby. They talk about "rugby values" outside the field, but it has been very annoying to see so many complaints about refs here. We need to focus on values.

Finally, it was a holiday match vs Brazil and probably the unusual heat for this time of the year made them taking the foot of the gas in second half.

I doubt about the heat. Almost all Brazilian players are from Southern Brazil, this means the heat is not a proper advantage, as we don't play that much above 32º C. However if it was very cold it would be indeed a problem for us, as they are not used to play below 5º C with snow.

Brazilian Rugby Union focused a lot in fitness. That is the true answer.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 16:42

victorsra wrote:
I didn't watched Brazil much until now, is normal for them to be so nervous and comment to ref?

They were more nervous than the usual. Maybe they weren't expecting to be smashed in the first half. Brazil is a student at the international rugby scene. It is a first step. The Tupis rised very quickly, we need to be patient.

About refs, I am a bit concerned about Brazilian rugby players specially in our club rugby. They talk about "rugby values" outside the field, but it has been very annoying to see so many complaints about refs here. We need to focus on values.

Erm..but what did they expected? I was talking to a Brazilian friend who plays in first division and I asked him what is the level and how he thinks the match would turn out and he said, "it will be a massacre". So I suppose you didn't expected much, right?

victorsra wrote:
Finally, it was a holiday match vs Brazil and probably the unusual heat for this time of the year made them taking the foot of the gas in second half.

I doubt about the heat. Almost all Brazilian players are from Southern Brazil, this means the heat is not a proper advantage, as we don't play that much above 32º C. However if it was very cold it would be indeed a problem for us, as they are not used to play below 5º C with snow.
Brazilian Rugby Union focused a lot in fitness. That is the true answer.

I was talking about Oaks taking foot of the gas, not Tupis. There's a reason for which we stop local tournaments in June. It was like 36 Celsius at the start of the match and I don't think dropped below 32 at the end of the match. Add to that humidity and fact that in urban areas there is more heat emanated by concrete. It wasn't a pleasant day, I can tell you, felt more like end of July.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 22:57

Erm..but what did they expected? I was talking to a Brazilian friend who plays in first division and I asked him what is the level and how he thinks the match would turn out and he said, "it will be a massacre". So I suppose you didn't expected much, right?

Well, I was expecting a large score. But I don't know the guys inside the national team. They got a couple of big results recently, they were probably believing that they would do better than a 30 points defeat in the first half.

Are the highlights available?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 05:55

Brazilians have interesting back line but without a stronger tight-five will not progress to much from this level. But this can be done in few years, they just need to understand the importance of this part of the game. Portugal is a similar team in size but they use to have good scrumaggers also, i remember few games against them when they do very well in this sector against us.With good technique&fitness level you can have a good scrum without being huge in size.
Romania is a much dangerous side in the last years that it was in the past.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 07:23

I think even Romania 2011 or 2015 would have beat this Brazil team. Ref was trying to balance things in second half but since they weren't able to do the basics well it was difficult to build a platform.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 08:45

Despite it not being the most competitive game the atmosphere in the stadium was wonderful, the beer was cheap and the mici was tasty! Bucharest is a wonderful city also, I'll certainly be back, maybe for an REC match next year! Thanks for your help and advice everyone!

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum