Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

June 24th - Argentina vs Georgia

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: June 24th - Argentina vs Georgia

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 20:52

datodato wrote:
fullbackace wrote:
datodato wrote:Ultimate Rugby says Georgia has a 56% tackle succes. So nearly every second tackle is missed. Tells you a lot about the players.

You need to calm down. What were you expecting before the game I wonder ? this was very much expected. We're playing a 4nations side, not some village crowd.

Is there a different tackle technique needed when tackling 4N Team players?

Argentines play at much faster pace than the teams we usually play, they're also better at evading tackles. Usually faster guys are harder to tackle.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 20:59

good comeback!
LE
just score 2 more points, it will looks much better

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:05

That was actually pretty good from us. yes the small mistakes cost us many points but overall we did quite well. They beat my expectations. we scored a beautiful try and our new Fullback scored one too which is huge.

that 6 minute section of the game where we fell asleep and conceded 3 tries was the deciding factor in the end. If we had finished off the first half better the story would've been quite different.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:05

Holy shit. What a second half from Georgia. Wow! 45-29 for Argentina but Georgia scores 4 tries and betters Argentina in scrums. When was the last time Argentina was penalized so many times in scrums? Considering everything, I am really impressed. I'll be rewatching this game. That's for sure.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby SHIZZZO » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:09

If not for the stupid mistakes the scoreline would have been even tighter, all in all still a good performance, we managed to put 4 tries past Argentina which is a nice accomplishment and one of those tries was a beauty to watch. Still feel optimistic for the future.
You are terminated!

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:20

Great by Georgia, an extremely credible Tier 1 vs Tier 2 result which is always good to see. With respect though, Argentina should not be conceding so many points to a Georgian side that is in the early stages of developing a new style. These are troubling times for the Pumas and I am worried that despite the amount of young talent they have, they are in danger of becoming an "Italy of the south". They need a defensive coach as an emergency and to focus on strength in the forwards rather than just ball handling.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:22

Matiashvili needs to be used as as a fullback from now on, majority of the time I think. He can kick, he is fast and considering how Haig failed to find a replacement for Kvirikashvili is also one of the reasons to do it. They should at least try it consistently for a while. Kvirikashvili should sub him.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:23

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Great by Georgia, an extremely credible Tier 1 vs Tier 2 result which is always good to see. With respect though, Argentina should not be conceding so many points to a Georgian side that is in the early stages of developing a new style. These are troubling times for the Pumas and I am worried that despite the amount of young talent they have, they are in danger of becoming an "Italy of the south". They need a defensive coach as an emergency and to focus on strength in the forwards rather than just ball handling.

They need to end their policy of Argentina only players. With only one SR team it's doomed to failure. They've got a number of Euro based players that would up their quality considerably.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:25

I'm more pessimistic about the game than you are, but overall optimistic about the future. But also worrying signals for Argentina, which is not good news. They are stagnating in the moment, I hope they will keep fighting and find their spirit again. I love them playing with spirit, like they did against Ireland in the RWC15.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:29

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Great by Georgia, an extremely credible Tier 1 vs Tier 2 result which is always good to see. With respect though, Argentina should not be conceding so many points to a Georgian side that is in the early stages of developing a new style. These are troubling times for the Pumas and I am worried that despite the amount of young talent they have, they are in danger of becoming an "Italy of the south". They need a defensive coach as an emergency and to focus on strength in the forwards rather than just ball handling.

They need to end their policy of Argentina only players. With only one SR team it's doomed to failure. They've got a number of Euro based players that would up their quality considerably.

I agree, the problem is that they only choose from 1 club team, which is crazy to be honest. They need another team in Super Rugby, but it's hard to make the case, when you allready loosing games with your "National Team". And maybe they got a bit too much ahead with their NZ style of play and should remember a bit of their passionate argentinian forward game again. I hope they will come back stronger.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:31

Vid of that epic lelos try: https://streamable.com/rvudx

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:35

iul wrote:Vid of that epic lelos try: https://streamable.com/rvudx

What a try, what a tryy!! :thumbup:

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:46

BTW. Props to Argentinian organizers for fantastic anthems before the game. Georgian one was sung by a local performer with hardly any accent and the Argentina one was performed beautifully. Also it was a sellout and the great atmosphere.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 21:59

Haha, a little exaggerated that of "Italy of the South", although in fact, that's what us are!

The truth that I was not very surprised the result, especially after 45-15, where even the commentators themselves said that Argentina would take their foot off the accelerator and lower their arms waiting for the game to end, if someone sees the result without knowing the procedure of the match, well, maybe be surprised by the final score ...

In fact, for years I haven't worried about losing matches in the periods between the World Cups, I don't think they determine anything about the true level of the team, of course I prefer to win, but they are simply test matches, especially that ... tests.

In fact, if you analyze the matches that have played, even the Jaguars, precisely the doubts of the team arise precisely for not only handling the ball, played more conservatively, with the foot on the brake to attack, then, when a player decided to attack, ends lonely and isolated.

Anyway, if I think it is stupid to not count with the players in Europe, there you can see the hand of the conservatism of the URBA (Rugby Union of Buenos Aires), just as it was the only provincial Union that did not allow the players of the PLADAR play in their competitions, in addition the young players are still going to Europe...in fact in the past already they did the same stupid thing with no result

Again, here we know the potential of the team and honestly, we are not worried.

Well done Georgia & nice try!!!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 22:32

Hernan14 wrote:

Haha, a little exaggerated that of "Italy of the South", although in fact, that's what us are!

The truth that I was not very surprised the result, especially after 45-15, where even the commentators themselves said that Argentina would take their foot off the accelerator and lower their arms waiting for the game to end, if someone sees the result without knowing the procedure of the match, well, maybe be surprised by the final score ...

In fact, for years I haven't worried about losing matches in the periods between the World Cups, I don't think they determine anything about the true level of the team, of course I prefer to win, but they are simply test matches, especially that ... tests.

In fact, if you analyze the matches that have played, even the Jaguars, precisely the doubts of the team arise precisely for not only handling the ball, played more conservatively, with the foot on the brake to attack, then, when a player decided to attack, ends lonely and isolated.

Anyway, if I think it is stupid to not count with the players in Europe, there you can see the hand of the conservatism of the URBA (Rugby Union of Buenos Aires), just as it was the only provincial Union that did not allow the players of the PLADAR play in their competitions, in addition the young players are still going to Europe...in fact in the past already they did the same stupid thing with no result

Again, here we know the potential of the team and honestly, we are not worried.

Well done Georgia & nice try!!!

I agree, I don't think results in Tests matter so much anymore because of the uneven nature of the international calendar, etc. IMO Argentina is better than all the Celtic sides and France.

The Celtic sides always look good because their pro setup and national systems are setup to support Test Rugby. They are all found wanting come RWC time.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 06:27

Good result for Georgia, traditionally Argentina is a side which Georgia or Romania don't like to play. Good scrummagers & slippery backs, it should be our nightmare. But this time Argentina wasn't that good in scrums and maybe Khmaladze wake up? That try...:).
Don't cry for Pumas, somehow every world cup this team reinvent themselves. You can't train that team spirit and positive "craziness"...it is something of their own, a trade mark.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 07:01

I watched the entire match last evening (only watched last 20 minutes live) and despite the score difference at some point I think it was a good test from Lelos.

Even if the backline doesn't move too smooth there are signs that this time Haig is taking a slower approach to changing the game style. Looking at positions where Georgia needs depth, I think Soso Matiashvili had a good game and he should have more chances in the future.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 14:38

GeoRugby wrote:BTW. Props to Argentinian organizers for fantastic anthems before the game. Georgian one was sung by a local performer with hardly any accent and the Argentina one was performed beautifully. Also it was a sellout and the great atmosphere.

Happy to hear that :)

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 14:55

Good scrummagers & slippery backs, it should be our nightmare. But this time Argentina wasn't that good in scrums and maybe Khmaladze wake up? That try...

Bekoshvili was the biggest surprise in scrums. I didn't expect much from him against Argentina(after his performances against Russia and Romania), but he was really good. Defensively still needs to improve though. Missed few tackles. His replacement Nika Khatiashvili did also very well in only his 4th cap for the team. The youngster Mataradze, who came on for Nariashvili is a beast who already shows that he'll be one of the best in the world very soon (he was the best loosehead of 2016 U20 World championships). Khmaladze was good. I can only hope that he is back to his old form.

I think Soso Matiashvili had a good game and he should have more chances in the future.

I think he maybe the most talented back Georgia has and it is shocking that it took so long for coaches to insert him in the team.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 15:56

Some pics of the Third Half with native dancing. https://twitter.com/unionargentina?lang=es

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 17:30

Thanks for the photos argie. They`re awesome.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 13:29

GeoRugby wrote:
Good scrummagers & slippery backs, it should be our nightmare. But this time Argentina wasn't that good in scrums and maybe Khmaladze wake up? That try...

Bekoshvili was the biggest surprise in scrums. I didn't expect much from him against Argentina(after his performances against Russia and Romania), but he was really good. Defensively still needs to improve though. Missed few tackles. His replacement Nika Khatiashvili did also very well in only his 4th cap for the team. The youngster Mataradze, who came on for Nariashvili is a beast who already shows that he'll be one of the best in the world very soon (he was the best loosehead of 2016 U20 World championships). Khmaladze was good. I can only hope that he is back to his old form.

I think Soso Matiashvili had a good game and he should have more chances in the future.

I think he maybe the most talented back Georgia has and it is shocking that it took so long for coaches to insert him in the team.

You have many good props, if Haig choose Bekoshvili maybe he saw something in him.He definitely got the right body but i don't know about his technique.
Yes i don't understand your coaches on this, why players like Matiashvili & Koshadze doesn't play more? Haig doesn't like risk but this is obviously, this guys are ready for test level.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 15:56

In Haigs defence he is introducing Matiashvili and Koshadze step by step that might be a better option. Does anyone know the age of Matiashvili? I didn't know he kicked that makes him even more an asset for Georgia.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 16:45

sandro wrote:In Haigs defence he is introducing Matiashvili and Koshadze step by step that might be a better option. Does anyone know the age of Matiashvili? I didn't know he kicked that makes him even more an asset for Georgia.

I think he's too cautious. Ionut Dumitru have about same age as Matiahsvili (2 months difference) yet he already played 25 games, in many in starting XV while Matiashvili have 3 caps.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 17:39

Well that caution works so far! There is no need for big experiment in the june and november window. Alltough I think he could experiment more at the ENC, maybe set a maxium age at 25 for the ENC. Who cares about those games? Let the youngsters play together and get used to eachother in those games!
Btw I dont't get your comparison Lobzanidze is 20 y.o. 24 caps and Sharikadze is 24 y.o. 50+ caps not everybody is ready for the national team at the same age. Its like comparing apples and pears.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum