Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Men's CANAM Series-WC Qualifiers

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Men's CANAM Series-WC Qualifiers

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 12:39

thatrugbyguy wrote:May I ask why does Rugby Canada still persists with playing tests at such tiny venues like Langford? USA Rugby seems to be moving closer to 10K+ seat stadiums every year regardless of who the opposition is. Surely if the Hamilton test shows anything it's that people would probably prefer to watch these matches in modern stadiums. I get that it's probably not cheap to rent venues like BC Place and BMO Stadium but if it means getting another 3000-4000 bums on seats surely it's worth the price.

They own Langford; it's a joint venture with the city there. Honestly itf you want to get Canadian Rugby fans blood boiling it's a great place to start. The venue's only advantage is that it's free for Rugby Canada.

Postby 4N » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 14:08

TheStroBro wrote:
Bruce_ma_goose wrote:
victorsra wrote:What is the attendance in San Diego?

Stadium capacity was 8,700. It looked pretty full.

Stadium Capacity for Torero Stadium is 6,000 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torero_Stadium

As I was there, the actual number I had was 4,900. There was no reason for it not to be sold out given the venue size and how much of a hot bed So Cal Rugby Union is. There was again, no marketing done by RIM locally. Everything went via email, twitter, and facebook. The problem with that is the Padres were in town against the Dodgers and that's a tough sporting series to compete against. So that's a failure. Also, no team sheets available, I also did not know DTH was out until I rolled over this morning.

I just saw it wasn't a sellout. Not good.

Canada's venue selection was better than the US's unfortunately. I'm sure this would have drawn better somewhere like the Columbus MLS stadium. Or even Kansas City or Denver.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 16:54

How many times are we going to be surprised with poor attendance in Southern California? Of course, part of this is on USAR/RIM, but it really shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

Columbus/KC/Denver would have been good choices. It's MLS season so not sure if the venues for every single one would have been available. How about the PNW as another option? I think Seattle has some issues with stadiums and turf, but Portland would be worth a look.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 02:51

Coloradoan wrote:How many times are we going to be surprised with poor attendance in Southern California? Of course, part of this is on USAR/RIM, but it really shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

Columbus/KC/Denver would have been good choices. It's MLS season so not sure if the venues for every single one would have been available. How about the PNW as another option? I think Seattle has some issues with stadiums and turf, but Portland would be worth a look.

Poor attendance in SoCal? We put 14k in the Q in the 1980s.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 15:24

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:How many times are we going to be surprised with poor attendance in Southern California? Of course, part of this is on USAR/RIM, but it really shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

So 30 years ago. How about recently? That a RWCQ decider against Canada in SD gets outdrawn by an ARC match against Brazil in a baseball stadium in suburban Austin is embarrassing.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 17:19

Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

So 30 years ago. How about recently? That a RWCQ decider against Canada in SD gets outdrawn by an ARC match against Brazil in a baseball stadium in suburban Austin is embarrassing.

Again, this is about marketing. There was none in San Diego or Atlanta. The only marketing for any match promoted solely by RIM has been via social media, and I'd say it was all done through USAR accounts so not really done by RIM at all.

It is not hard to put up billboards four ways us as soon as tickets go on sale. This is about marketing the product, if you don't blitz the local media through interviews in the newspaper, local radio and TV. You're going to get nothing. Many local clubs sought out USAR to work on promoting the Test, and attempt to sell tickets, USAR brushed them off and said talk to USD who was selling the tickets and USD did nothing. This isn't about the on field product as much as it is about developing the brand.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 17:42

Doesnt SoCal have trouble with basically all major sports in terms of attendance? The whole "we have better things to do" issue?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 18:29

Suiram wrote:Doesnt SoCal have trouble with basically all major sports in terms of attendance? The whole "we have better things to do" issue?

Yep.

Here's my recap of the Summer Series, Focused on WC Qualifier Play and Marketing by RIM.
https://youtu.be/G0sDJ3eHV-g

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 22:43

TheStroBro wrote:
Again, this is about marketing. There was none in San Diego or Atlanta. The only marketing for any match promoted solely by RIM has been via social media, and I'd say it was all done through USAR accounts so not really done by RIM at all.

It is not hard to put up billboards four ways us as soon as tickets go on sale. This is about marketing the product, if you don't blitz the local media through interviews in the newspaper, local radio and TV. You're going to get nothing. Many local clubs sought out USAR to work on promoting the Test, and attempt to sell tickets, USAR brushed them off and said talk to USD who was selling the tickets and USD did nothing. This isn't about the on field product as much as it is about developing the brand.

I agree that USAR does an incredibly poor job of promoting test matches. But it's still a case of comparing like for like and Southern California does not compare well to other locations around the US given the stature of match and opponent. So while SoCal could certainly draw some better crowds with superior (any) marketing, so would other locations. SoCal is a tough market to crack and I think we should take a long look at other markets first before going back to SoCal.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 05 Jul 2017, 22:59

Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I agree that USAR does an incredibly poor job of promoting test matches. But it's still a case of comparing like for like and Southern California does not compare well to other locations around the US given the stature of match and opponent. So while SoCal could certainly draw some better crowds with superior (any) marketing, so would other locations. SoCal is a tough market to crack and I think we should take a long look at other markets first before going back to SoCal.

So based on this interview with Ronan Nelson, the only marketing done by RIM has been facebook ad-buys for Atlanta and San Diego: http://rugbywrapup.com/2017/07/podcast- ... an-nelson/

I would like to point out that the match at Red Bull Arena was partially promoted by TLA. Produced by NBC, not TRC.

I have it somewhere, probably posted on this forum that the Test at Dell Diamond drew 100 less people this year than last. Also, San Antonio is definitely a no go for a time I think. Also in this interview, according the Payne there were only between 300-400 tickets available as of Friday. So I'd hazard about 700 were purchased but un-used.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 06 Jul 2017, 03:02

ARC attendance will be driven by the opponent as well. Canada will always get a big turn out.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum