Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Men's CANAM Series-WC Qualifiers

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Men's CANAM Series-WC Qualifiers

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 03:34

Squads should get announced tomorrow. I will post my standard (as of now) USA preview on Friday.

Notes to be had are the Todd Clever's final match as an Eagle will be in San Diego.

National Flag:

Re: Men's CANAM Series-WC Qualifiers

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 19:56

https://www.usarugby.org/2017/06/eagles ... he-border/

Men's Eagles | v. Canada
1. Tony Purpura
2. James Hilterbrand
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Ben Landry
5. Nick Civetta
6. Todd Clever (C)
7. John Quill
8. Cam Dolan
9. Nate Augspurger
10. AJ MacGinty
11. Matai Leuta
12. Marcel Brache
13. Bryce Campbell
14. Ryan Matyas
15. Mike Te'o

Men's Eagles | Reserves
16. Peter Malcolm
17. Ben Tarr
18. Dino Waldren
19. Matthew Jensen
20. David Tameilau
21. Andrew Durutalo
22. Shaun Davies
23. Ben Cima

Canada | v. USA
1. Djustice Sears-Duru
2. Ray Barkwill
3. Jake Ilnicki
4. Brett Beukeboom (C)
5. Evan Olmstead
6. Admir Cejvanovic
7. Matt Heaton
8. Tyler Ardron
9. Phil Mack
10. Shane O'Leary
11. Taylor Paris
12. Connor Braid
13. DTH van der Merwe
14. Andrew Coe
15. Ciaran Hearn

Canada | Reserves
16. Benoit Piffero
17. Anthony Luca
18. Matt Tierney
19. Kyle Baillie
20. Aaron Carpenter
21. Gordon McRorie
22. Nick Blevins
23. Dan Moor

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 20:47

Kinda surprised to see Cejvanovic as a starter. I'd shuffle the backs a bit, but I'm generally okay with this line up.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 23:22

Ryan Matyas declared out with an illness, Mike Te'o moves to 14, Ben Cima to Fullback, and Will Magie activated to the bench per TIAR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 23:23

TheStroBro wrote:https://www.usarugby.org/2017/06/eagles-seek-advantage-in-rugby-world-cup-2019-qualifier-opener-north-of-the-border/

Men's Eagles | v. Canada
1. Tony Purpura
2. James Hilterbrand
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Ben Landry
5. Nick Civetta
6. Todd Clever (C)
7. John Quill
8. Cam Dolan
9. Nate Augspurger
10. AJ MacGinty
11. Matai Leuta
12. Marcel Brache
13. Bryce Campbell
14. Ryan Matyas
15. Mike Te'o

Men's Eagles | Reserves
16. Peter Malcolm
17. Ben Tarr
18. Dino Waldren
19. Matthew Jensen
20. David Tameilau
21. Andrew Durutalo
22. Shaun Davies
23. Ben Cima

Canada | v. USA
1. Djustice Sears-Duru
2. Ray Barkwill
3. Jake Ilnicki
4. Brett Beukeboom (C)
5. Evan Olmstead
6. Admir Cejvanovic
7. Matt Heaton
8. Tyler Ardron
9. Phil Mack
10. Shane O'Leary
11. Taylor Paris
12. Connor Braid
13. DTH van der Merwe
14. Andrew Coe
15. Ciaran Hearn

Canada | Reserves
16. Benoit Piffero
17. Anthony Luca
18. Matt Tierney
19. Kyle Baillie
20. Aaron Carpenter
21. Gordon McRorie
22. Nick Blevins
23. Dan Moor

I think a lot of folks on this board have wanted to see DTH get another go at 13. That should be interesting anyways. Not much impact coming off the bench. The best you can hope for is that they do no harm.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 02:10

Think the Canadian lineup is as logical as can be with the current set of players. Coach seems to be reading my posts!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 13:12

Anyone else here going to the game tomorrow? Despite our recent form, I'm just glad to be seeing test rugby in person again.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 13:34

Here's my preview of the match:
https://youtu.be/Na3pmm6ckv0

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 13:47

Feel like it's a strong Canadian side with dangerous backs and an athletic back row.

A bit worried. Quill and clever will finish bloodied and battered from throwing themselves into rucks but neither are technically sound poachers like Lamborn or Durutalo.

And going in our one big advantage should have been the front row. Titi Taufetee and Baumann/Ryan could have been an all top tier front row that outmatches canada. At this point I'm hopeful it's just a wash in the scrums but nervous we will find a way to suck

Postby 4N » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 14:04

Canadian backs look dangerous to me too.

USA will need 'hard yards' carries from Dolan, Civetta, Landry IMO to wear down the Canadian pack. Taufetee is such a big loss.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 17:00

grande wrote:Anyone else here going to the game tomorrow? Despite our recent form, I'm just glad to be seeing test rugby in person again.

I'll be there with some friends - pretty happy it's in Hamilton, moved here in the spring.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 17:18

TheStroBro wrote:Here's my preview of the match:

Good preview. For some reason the Canadian coach decided to start players that would otherwise be backups in the previous two games, I believe to keep the other players "fresh" for the more important game against the USA. So starters are now on the bench, some bench guys are not in the 22 etc.

I don't grasp this logic fully as the team we are fielding now has a host of guys in different positions, different combinations etc. I can't fathom why he didn't play O'Leary last game at 10 with Braid at 12. Cejanovic is playing at 6 out of position (great that he's on the field) and Ardron played there last game and is now back to his better spot at 8. These combinations are essential for Canada and this is the first we'll have ever seen them, which I don't thin is a good thing.

Canada's backs are theoretically good, but Braid is a question mark, mainly due to a lack of rugby, and Coe is likely not ready for this just yet. I'd target him all day with contested kicks if I were the USA. They looked like they weren't on the same page last game and players have moved around again, which shouldn't help. I'd also add that defensively our backs are very average, bordering on poor.

The big problem is that Canada's forwards don't go forward, on offense or defense. Ardron and Cejanovic are the exceptions and ideally the prop DSD, but he hasn't shown it lately. And Ardron did not look healthy last game for whatever reason. The second row are OK scrummers and Olmstead is a worker, but the following players can't make yards with the ball: Barkwill, Beukeboom, Illnicki, Olmstead, Heaton. Heaton is at least useful in wider channels.

The battle is going to be for forward domination and I think this is where the USA takes over. We have nobody even at Clever's level in terms of raw strength and power. Hopefully I'm wrong.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 17:48

The current line on Paddy Power is USA (-1) on the handicap, (-.5) on the pure.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-uni ... 47559.html

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 17:55

Taufete and Manoa injured?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 18:01

sk 88 wrote:Taufete and Manoa injured?

Samu Manoa had been unavailable from the beginning, no word on why Joe isn't out there.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 18:59

marvinparsons wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Here's my preview of the match:

Good preview. For some reason the Canadian coach decided to start players that would otherwise be backups in the previous two games, I believe to keep the other players "fresh" for the more important game against the USA. So starters are now on the bench, some bench guys are not in the 22 etc.

I don't grasp this logic fully as the team we are fielding now has a host of guys in different positions, different combinations etc. I can't fathom why he didn't play O'Leary last game at 10 with Braid at 12. Cejanovic is playing at 6 out of position (great that he's on the field) and Ardron played there last game and is now back to his better spot at 8. These combinations are essential for Canada and this is the first we'll have ever seen them, which I don't thin is a good thing.

Canada's backs are theoretically good, but Braid is a question mark, mainly due to a lack of rugby, and Coe is likely not ready for this just yet. I'd target him all day with contested kicks if I were the USA. They looked like they weren't on the same page last game and players have moved around again, which shouldn't help. I'd also add that defensively our backs are very average, bordering on poor.

The big problem is that Canada's forwards don't go forward, on offense or defense. Ardron and Cejanovic are the exceptions and ideally the prop DSD, but he hasn't shown it lately. And Ardron did not look healthy last game for whatever reason. The second row are OK scrummers and Olmstead is a worker, but the following players can't make yards with the ball: Barkwill, Beukeboom, Illnicki, Olmstead, Heaton. Heaton is at least useful in wider channels.

The battle is going to be for forward domination and I think this is where the USA takes over. We have nobody even at Clever's level in terms of raw strength and power. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Why the question marks on Braid? He's been playing in Europe all winter...The question mark should be on the lazy prop D'Justice,

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 23 Jun 2017, 22:04

Pardon my ignorance. I didn't think he'd been playing there and I thought he stunk last game. Think he's a great player though, so hopefully it all comes together tomorrow. I like him better at 12 now that we seem to have a real 10.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 05:41

I'm surprised by the line at Paddy Power. I expect a frenetic error filled game from Canada. USA by 13

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 11:50

I'd have had this close like Paddy Power prior to the last fortnight. But Canada have offered close to nothing in the last 160 minutes so have no platform to build on to take into this game. If they can click like they did against Ireland in November then they can win this leg of the playoff, so it is still well worth watching. But I'd say US by about 5-7 points, and then a comfortable victory in the return leg.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 14:46

I can't bet from Canada on that website. Wish my bookie had this game on offer at those odds, I'd be putting some decent money on the U.S.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 14:49

I got 1.9 on the US with +1 handicap. It's a steal. Just like the 1.57 odds I had on Scotland earlier today :x

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:06

Anyone know what ticket sales are like? I heard only 9,000 sold as of yesterday?

I heard the Wolfpack were aiming for a sellout today. They tied the game in with Pride Week festivities.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:14

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:33

grande wrote:Kinda surprised to see Cejvanovic as a starter. I'd shuffle the backs a bit, but I'm generally okay with this line up.

Thought the name looked Bosnian, and so it is.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e34084142/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 18:49

Next

Return to Rugby Forum