Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Africa Gold Cup

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2017 Africa Gold Cup

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:08

And then the stream dropped as Senegal were attacking and it came back with Zimbabwe 21-16 up!

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:15

I really need to start paying attention to this competition. Zimbabwe impressed me when they ran Russia close in Hong Kong last year, yet they are only just beating Senegal (16-21). And Kenya can run Germany very close, but only just managed to scrape a draw at home to Uganda. I would have assumed that Namibia would only need to turn up to win this tournament, but it looks far more competitive than I was expecting.

EDIT: Ohhh! Senegal couldn't afford to kick the ball there.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:17

sk 88 wrote:And then the stream dropped as Senegal were attacking and it came back with Zimbabwe 21-16 up!

It was a nice long range move down the far touchline. The feed held for me.

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 17:49

Final score Senegal 16 - 28 Zimbabwe

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 01 Jul 2017, 16:59

Halftime: SENEGAL 13 - 17 UGANDA

Final score: SENEGAL 16 - 17 UGANDA

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 01 Jul 2017, 19:11

From Rugby Afrique twitter, Tunisia 7 - 17 Namibia at halftime. Namibia running away with it in the 2nd half.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 01:16

Final Score

Namibia 53, Tunisia 7

On paper I didn't think Namibia was that an under strength side. I'd like to know the composition of the Tunisian side. More France-based than local-based? Was Namibia that good or Tunisia that weak?

https://www.facebook.com/RugbyAfrique/

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby SANE17 » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 04:05

RugInt wrote:Final Score

Namibia 53, Tunisia 7

On paper I didn't think Namibia was that an under strength side. I'd like to know the composition of the Tunisian side. More France-based than local-based? Was Namibia that good or Tunisia that weak?

Rather it's Tunisia that is weak. The only reason they are in top tier rugby is because the teams below them are much weaker (Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Madagscar....etc).

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 02 Jul 2017, 05:24

Africa Cup standing (hope it's correct). The third number in every sector means "games still to play"
PS: no, it's not correct, I've seen just now. The real points difference in bronze cup are Zambia +155, Rwanda -75, Mauritius -80

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Mon, 03 Jul 2017, 20:57

Namibia 53, Tunisia 7

I would tend to think that Namibia is that good. Even with a side shorn of it's top players, their A side have been playing together in the Vodacom cup (I think that is the name of the competition?) in South Africa while the main team was playing in the Nations cup. I believe that they have had a lot more game time as representative sides than that of all the other teams in the Gold Cup combined - I could be wrong though.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 06:15

ugrugbychiclet wrote:

Namibia 53, Tunisia 7

I would tend to think that Namibia is that good. Even with a side shorn of it's top players, their A side have been playing together in the Vodacom cup (I think that is the name of the competition?) in South Africa while the main team was playing in the Nations cup. I believe that they have had a lot more game time as representative sides than that of all the other teams in the Gold Cup combined - I could be wrong though.

you are right on most aspects here. The only wrong part of your statement is that the vodacom cup was changed and is now called the supersport rugby challenge. Another thing you need to understand is that Namibia and South Africa are the only African countries who get proper funding from WR due to the proceeds from the RWC. The other countries are just struggling, hence cannot fund their travel to play in South Africa.
Namibia receives a grant of 1.5M dollars yearly from WR through RWC proceeds. (Check the RWC revenue sharing model). Kenya on the other hand, gets a mainute figure from WR and is mostly funded by betting company SportPesa. I don't know how the rest survive, maybe you could tell me how Uganda survives the harsh times.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 07 Jul 2017, 17:23

Namibia squad vs Senegal

15 Chrysander Botha
14 Lesley Klim
13 Justin Newman
12 Darryl de la Harpe
11 Johann Tromp
10 Eugene Jantjies (o.kapt)
9 Damian Stevens
8 Adriaan Booysen
7 Thomasau Forbes
6 Rohan Kitshoff (kapt)
5 Ruan Ludick
4 Mahepisa Tjeriko
3 AJ de Klerk
2 Louis van der Westhuizen
1 Casper Viviers

Reserwes: 16 Obert Nortjé, 17 Collen Smith, 18 Desiderius Sethie, 19 Max Katjijeko, 20 Roderique Victor, 21 Theuns Kotzé, 22 JC Greyling, 23 David Philander.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 06:19

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 06:21

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 06:23

Tunisia are already complaining about the hard Kenyan pitch before the match.

This is embarassing to say the least, the union should stop their mediocre behaviour.

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/tunisia- ... enyan-duel

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 15:21

Namibia Vs Senegal now on, Namibia leading 19 -0 but are playing 14 men after Louis Van der Westhuizen gets a red card for head butting a player.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 16:56

Namibia even with 14 still could post 100 points, currently 88 - 0

Final score was Namibia 95 - 0 Senegal

A bit of a pity to have two total blow outs today in the Gold Cup.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 17:26

Truth be told, Tunisia and Senegal don't deserve to be in the Gold cup. Both teams are just training sessions for the rest of the pack.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Sat, 08 Jul 2017, 18:29

Neptune wrote:Truth be told, Tunisia and Senegal don't deserve to be in the Gold cup. Both teams are just training sessions for the rest of the pack.

Problem about what you say : Uganda only won by 1 against Senegal. But Uganda draws with Kenya...
The truth is Namibia full team is way ahead everyone including Kenya. They will demonstrate it in the coming weeks.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 03:46

A resuming page of the Africa Cup Gold, with match scorers and scorers' chart
http://www.kru.co.ke/africa-gold-cup/

Question: shouldn't Kenya be at 8 points (and not at 7)?
According to the page above they scored 4 tries in the draw with Uganda, and I strongly suppose they scored at least four tries yesterday in the 100-10 against Tunisia. So they should have 3+5 points

PS: the page above has still many missing data. The scorers of day 2 and 3, a senegalese penalty on day 1, a kenyan conversion on day 1... and Senegal has played and lost 3 matches, not 2 (with a points difference of -108)

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 03:55

I was thinking the same thing Canalina, 2 points for a draw against Uganda, plus a point for a bonus try. Hmm, I wonder how rugby Afrique does their calculations.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 11:59

olivier wrote:
Neptune wrote:Truth be told, Tunisia and Senegal don't deserve to be in the Gold cup. Both teams are just training sessions for the rest of the pack.

Problem about what you say : Uganda only won by 1 against Senegal. But Uganda draws with Kenya...
The truth is Namibia full team is way ahead everyone including Kenya. They will demonstrate it in the coming weeks.

:thumbup:

Both Tunisia and Senegal are going through rough patches at the moment. Tunisia was once one of the top teams in Africa. Saying they do not deserve to be in the Gold Cup is very harsh and uncharitable. If Kenya qualifies for the world cup next year (unlikely but theoretically possible) then they will rack up cricket scores there. Neptune, will you then say that Kenya does not deserve to be at the world cup and they are just training sessions for the rest of the pack?

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 17:24

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
olivier wrote:

:thumbup:

Both Tunisia and Senegal are going through rough patches at the moment. Tunisia was once one of the top teams in Africa. Saying they do not deserve to be in the Gold Cup is very harsh and uncharitable. If Kenya qualifies for the world cup next year (unlikely but theoretically possible) then they will rack up cricket scores there. Neptune, will you then say that Kenya does not deserve to be at the world cup and they are just training sessions for the rest of the pack?

I agree with you, they are going through some rough patches, but for crying out loud, who isn't going through tough times. The Kenyan boys are not even contracted, but always put their hearts out while playing. We depend 99% on our domestic league to produce players for the national team, with only Joshua Chisanga playing in England. For the Tunisian captain to complain and say they only played with Tunisia domestic players and that the French legion refused to come is uncalled for. What if they came and we still won? I recall we bea
t them in 2015 , 46 -15 with their French legion in Nairobi.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 21:45

Do we know what the deal is with the format of next year's qualifications for Africa? Wiki has been changed recently to say that next year's top flight will be four teams with Morocco to play the runner up? Seems a bit crap to me given that surely they just won promotion?

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 22:23

dwpeate wrote:Do we know what the deal is with the format of next year's qualifications for Africa? Wiki has been changed recently to say that next year's top flight will be four teams with Morocco to play the runner up? Seems a bit crap to me given that surely they just won promotion?

The Rugby Afrique site seems to confirm that Morocco will be promoted so it is likely that the format will remain as is. http://www.rugbyafrique.com/rugby-africa-silver-cup/

"The Rugby Africa Silver Cup is getting ready in Casablanca, Morocco. While the teams of Morocco and Cote d’ivoire have been in training camp in the Kingdom for some time already, the teams of Madagascar and Botswana have joined them yesterday.

The challenge is serious this year since the winner of the competition will be promoted to the Rugby Africa Gold Cup for the 2018 season and will stand a chance to qualify for the Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan."

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum