Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Samoa Rugby

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Re: Samoa Rugby

Postby julio » Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 15:22

Another kick in the teeth...Samoa down to their lowest ever ranking of 15th :roll:

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Mon, 05 Oct 2015, 15:27

Do you think the Samoans are angry ? Can they demolish the Scottish to save their honor ?

EDIT : Forget everything. Jaco Peyper is the referee.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 04:52

Canadian_Rugger wrote:It was just last week that some prominent Samoan rugby pundits were bemoaning having to play in the PNC because Canada, Japan and USA were "beneath them". I for one am very happy with these results, maybe the PI teams will sort themselves out now.

The sad part is the PNC is a good competition but it's been clear to me that we can't rely on the PIs to ever commit to the competition. Canada and the US will begin to throw their lot in with the American 6N as a result and Japan doesn't need to play in the PNC. The only losers in this situation are going to be the PIs.

1. Who are these "prominent Samoan rugby pundits"?
2. Why can't you rely on the PIs ever committing to the PNC? This is really the only competition that the PI teams have regularly been in (one format or another).

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 06:33

How come David Smith never played for Samoa?

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 08:09

Muzzy wrote:How come David Smith never played for Samoa?

He played one or two games for NZ 7s.

Unlike many NZ borns, this guy was born, bred, and grew up in Samoa. The schoolboy battles between St Josephs College Malifa and Avele College when he and Sosene Anesi were playing for their schools were legendary. Then they both got scholarships to go to NZ schools.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby julio » Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 08:14

Petelo wrote:He played one or two games for NZ 7s.

Unlike many NZ borns, this guy was born, bred, and grew up in Samoa. The schoolboy battles between St Josephs College Malifa and Avele College when he and Sosene Anesi were playing for their schools were legendary.

I thought Sosene Anesi was much older than him?

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 08:19

julio wrote:
Petelo wrote:He played one or two games for NZ 7s.

Unlike many NZ borns, this guy was born, bred, and grew up in Samoa. The schoolboy battles between St Josephs College Malifa and Avele College when he and Sosene Anesi were playing for their schools were legendary.

I thought Sosene Anesi was much older than him?

Hahaha sorry I got my names mixed up. I think it was Sosene Anesi vs Ron Fanuatanu - went onto play for Manu Samoa at the 2003 world cup. Yes you're totally right. Smith is younger and came to NZ from Avele much later.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 10:24

Petelo wrote:
Muzzy wrote:How come David Smith never played for Samoa?

He played one or two games for NZ 7s.

Unlike many NZ borns, this guy was born, bred, and grew up in Samoa. The schoolboy battles between St Josephs College Malifa and Avele College when he and Sosene Anesi were playing for their schools were legendary. Then they both got scholarships to go to NZ schools.

Oh man that sucks. They could have done what they did with Nanai Williams though. Guess he chose the club over country

Yeah I remember Anesi was a 1 test All Black. What a shame. I see he played sevens for both Samoa and NZ too.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Wed, 07 Oct 2015, 04:36

These are some of the typical arguments that have been happening on the samoan forums since the final whistle on the weekend.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Freddie must think the Manu Samoa belongs to his family.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 07 Oct 2015, 21:31

Well, the way this tournament's going I wouldn't be too surprised if Samoa did beat Scotland after all, sending Japan through, though that would take a major reversal of both form - and morale.

This from the Samoan Observer:

Former Manu Samoa Captain, Mahonri Schwalger, believes the Samoa Rugby Union is responsible for the team’s poor performance at the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The man known as the ‘People’s Captain’ did not mince words in voicing his disappointment, saying the Union has handled the team quite poorly.

“We’ve got to stop playing politics,” he said. “It’s about rugby.”

He added that bad coaching, lack of leadership and a poorly chosen game plan had all contributed to Samoa’s dream-destroying defeat at the hands of Japan on Sunday.

“As a former captain of Samoa, it was pretty hard to watch,” Schwalger told the Samoa Observer yesterday.

With the calibre of players in Manu Samoa at the moment, Schwalger said the team should be in the quarter finals right now.

“Samoa should be in the top five in the world.”

The game plan that had been used in matches against South Africa and Japan had been completely unsuitable, however.

That had not helped during what were already tough matches, he said.

Manu Samoa lost 6-46 against South Africa, and 5-26 against Japan.

Schwalger called for the Samoa Rugby Union to make some major changes to avoid a repeat in the next Rugby World Cup. He said revamping the coaching team would be a positive step to take, with Stephen Betham and Namulauulu Alama Ieremia both performing poorly.

“The coaches are trying to come up with some excuses,” said Schwalger.

“If we don’t make changes now, we’re going to be suffering for the next few years.”

The Samoa Rugby Union’s new C.E.O, Faleomavaega Vincent Fepulea’i, was making positive changes to the organisation, which would benefit the team, he said.

“We’ve got to make sure that everyone is supporting him.”

Fresh blood could provide a boost to Manu Samoa in the future.

“I think it’s time for us to develop some young players,” Schwalger said.

Repeated attempts to contact the Samoa Rugby Union for comment were unsuccessful yesterday.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Thu, 08 Oct 2015, 04:01

I read it as him blaming the coaches and for the SRU to appoint better coaches for next time round, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

He actually has some nice things to say about the new CEO, Faleomavaega Vincent Fepuleai.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Sat, 10 Oct 2015, 06:33

Please please Samoa do us all a favour....Smash the Scots and let Japan through... you will make my day...;-)

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Tue, 13 Oct 2015, 02:32

oldprussians wrote:Please please Samoa do us all a favour....Smash the Scots and let Japan through... you will make my day...;-)

Might well have happened had they taken a few opportunities. Especially Lee-Lo with Perez outside of him but he instead passes to a scotsman. A few other opportunities as well, but there was also an incredibly stupid pass by TNW for scotland's 1st try. Could've, would've, should've, but didn't.

This is the starting team that should've played against South Africa and Japan. They finally got rid of useless Ofisa Treviranus and replaced him with who everyone in Samoa was calling out for - Alafoti Fa'osiliva, who made a huge difference in getting over the advantage line. Also, the old veteran Maurie Fa'asavalu was finally allowed to play. He also made a huge difference.

It took a ban (albeit ridiculous ban) to Tuilagi for Betham to finally select Fa'atoina Autagavaia and move Paul Perez to his preferred position of wing.

On its day, Samoa's backs can tear most defences to pieces. The problem is that we don't have a good enough pack to provide that platform. It is like having a squadron of fighter jets with no ground crew to put fuel in the engines. So most of the time they are grounded.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 16 Oct 2015, 19:55

Harry Schuster wants a team of locals to compete at the next World Cup. Is this realistic? I imagine it's a very big step up from club rugby in the islands to test rugby :roll:

The President of the Oceania Rugby Unions (formally the Federation of Oceania Rugby Unions), Lefau Harry Schuster, believes the Manu Samoa needs a team of locals – now.

He said Samoan rugby needed to focus on early development to be successful at the next Rugby World Cup.

“We need an approach where a team is selected and developed,” he said. “You need to basically pick now. We’re four years out, we need to pick at this point the players we’re going to develop for the next Rugby World Cup.”

The Manu Samoa had the most foreign-born players at the Rugby World Cup, with 13. These players are eligible through one or both of their parents being Samoan citizens.

Speaking to the Samoa Observer, Lefau believes the reliance on foreign-based players is not good for the Manu Samoa team.

“Most of the players in the Manu Samoa are from other countries. They are very talented on paper, but the drawback is all these players are playing in different environments, just about every World Cup.

“It hasn’t produced the most consistent performances for us.

“It doesn’t matter how talented our athletes are, when you play all over the world, you’re playing all types of rugby. It doesn’t help produce a consistent style, you have your own style, it’s not conducive,” he said.

“Your plans can feature international-playing Samoans but we can’t go from Rugby World Cup and tour to tour picking so and so from here and there. You’re not developing a team you’re just picking a team, we need to develop a team instead of plucking from all over the place,” he said.

“The biggest handicap we have is financial resources. In terms of talent we have a lot of talent both on island and off island and we just have to keep our heads down and keep moving forward.

“We will get there. You have to look at the players and see if they suit what you are going to do.”

He recommended more local development to improve the Manu Samoa.

“We have to look at our local development from school rugby up to provisional competition - we need to really analyse if our local competition is efficient.

“We need to look [at] if we are producing the best local environment. At the end of the day our core team should be from local competitions.

Training and competitions here should have them well prepared to internationally compete,” he said.

When asked by the Samoa Observer on his thoughts on the Samoa vs. Scotland game he said Samoa played well.

“They played close to their potential and that was what I saw was missing from our other games. I don’t know why they weren’t able to produce that calibre in their previous games.”

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/home/headli ... key--lefau

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Fri, 16 Oct 2015, 23:25

Petelo wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:It was just last week that some prominent Samoan rugby pundits were bemoaning having to play in the PNC because Canada, Japan and USA were "beneath them". I for one am very happy with these results, maybe the PI teams will sort themselves out now.

The sad part is the PNC is a good competition but it's been clear to me that we can't rely on the PIs to ever commit to the competition. Canada and the US will begin to throw their lot in with the American 6N as a result and Japan doesn't need to play in the PNC. The only losers in this situation are going to be the PIs.

1. Who are these "prominent Samoan rugby pundits"?
2. Why can't you rely on the PIs ever committing to the PNC? This is really the only competition that the PI teams have regularly been in (one format or another).

I can only answer number two, which is that in 2013 Samoa dropped the tournament to compete with South Africa. World Rugby need to get a five year agreement set up for the PNC I think.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 18 Oct 2015, 22:03

Prime Minister Tuilaepa blames World Rugby for his country's failure to reach the Q-finals. He also thinks the tournament referees were obliged to help Samoa's cause, apparently...

Tuilaepa also spoke about the issue of depth.

“For New Zealand, they probably have 200,000 players to choose from compared to us where we don't even have five thousand players to choose from. England, Wales, South Africa and others have millions to choose from…” Lastly, the Prime Minister acknowledged the Manu Samoa’s coaching staff and management.

“My vote of thanks goes to coach Stephen Betham, Alama Ieremia, Namuluulu Sami Leota and the players.”

“There was certainly a lot of confusion in terms of refereeing. The referees did not help our cause. There are a lot of writings about many wrong decisions they made.”

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/home/headli ... orld-rugby

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 24 Oct 2015, 23:32

It’s official. Manu Samoa Head Coach, Stephen Betham, officially resigned on Tuesday.

And it was a decision that did not come easy.

During an interview with the Samoa Observer at his parents’ home at Lotopa, he fights to hold back the tears. The emotions are still very raw.

Following his arrival back into Samoa after the Rugby World Cup, Betham talked with his family on how things would pan out. For Betham, he said he had failed to meet his job performance indicators and had consequently let his country down.

The resignation, prior to the review, would give the Samoa Rugby Union (S.R.U.) ample time to advertise the post and the new Head Coach time to prepare.

That would mean his replacement was not put in the position Betham was in when he was given the job, with just six weeks before a tournament.

He was still with the Sevens at the time.

“My thoughts are instead of the next coach suffering that, I want him to prepare well, especially for the sake of the team,” he said.

The review is set to end in January. The advertisement won’t be done until February.

Betham said everything was done in the interest of the team and his family.

Since his return, he’s tried to stay out of the media.

“Sometimes when people see you in the news so many times, you know, [they say] he’s still in there [yet] he’s failed. He’s still hanging around. It’s just one of those things you accept as part of your job.”

Stepping down for Betham has been, in his own words, very hard.

But after nine years at it, it’s a chance for him to spend time with family as never before, as he was always on the road. Eventually, he plans to return to where it all began for him; the rugby club at Vaiala and the Apia Union.

“I guess being at the international level for nine years, you sort of lose that hunger. Sometimes it’s repetitive stuff.

When you’ve done something over and over, you start to lose focus.

You start to lose that hunger.”

Vaiala and Apia Union supported him from day one and are the reason he reached the echelon of Samoa rugby. It is there he will return and rekindle that same desire to return to the top again.

Even better, he is also willing to help any clubs that seek his assistance.

Does Betham feel he should shoulder the blame?

He admits there were contributing factors, but would rather wait for the review. Although the review will look at the players, coaches and logisitics, Betham says it’s his responsibility at the end of the day.

At the end of the review, everything is documented. He hopes the next management will use this as a base for where they went wrong.

Performance, Betham says, is not just on the field. It is a broad reflection of everything, including financial factors.

“I don’t look for excuses. The performance wasn’t good and probably 50 percent is my job and every other factor that comes from the review, we’ll find out later.”

He declined to comment on politics at the S.R.U.

“When I’m doing my coaching, I stay far away from [the politics]. All we know is we’re guided by the Union.

We’re given policies and we abide by them. We do the best we can and to me whatever happens, I can’t blame the Union for it. Maybe it might have a small influence, but I’m not going to point fingers.”

Criticisms on the performance of some players on social media also had consequences as they are read by players or they hear about it from family and friends. Some players don’t take it well and Betham says that also affects their performance.

“When you start criticizing people and they read about it, it affects them.

No matter what we say, it affects them and my hope is for those who criticize, wait until it’s all finished.”

As for his assistant coach, Namulauulu Alama Ieremia, Betham describes him as very professional, very thorough and very process influenced coach, like any other professional coach.

This compared to Betham who lacked the experience at an international level, Super XV and whose profession was with clubs on a local scale.

But he has learned a lot and is happy to take it back and filter down to the club level. “You get knocked down and have to get up. And for me getting back up is starting from the bottom again, making your way back to the top.”

Looking back, one of Betham’s most memorable moments was in winning the series in 2010. They had joked about it during the year when they were placed second in the ranks. Halfway through the series the boys were sitting around joking about what it would be like to win, or even give Samoa a public holiday and make history in the process.

“That challenge was taken to heart and when they won, they said ‘coach, we earned a public holiday for the country!’”

Another highlight was in 2012, with the fifteens, where Samoa became the first Tier two nation to rank seventh in the world.

Betham was happy to have seen some of the Sevens boys play at a professional level, settle overseas and buy homes.

“That’s a personal highlight for me. Just to see some of these boys make it that far.”

It was a dream for Betham to coach the Manu Samoa. If he couldn’t represent Samoa in rugby, his next choice was to coach.

He is grateful to God and everyone for the support, with the country’s support for the team easily felt.

Betham admits to being one of the critics before he started coaching. And when he got there, he tried to execute ideas he thought would avoid the same mistakes.

“One thing about coaching is you can never please everybody, [there are] different opinions and that’s life. You’ve got to live with it.”

Betham wished all teams well and urged the country to get behind them. And with the Sevens next week, it will be a big boost for Samoa to qualify for Olympics.

All in all, for Betham, the past nine years have been filled with memories.

“It’s been a great ride, been a rollercoaster ride, up and down… it’s an experience that I would do all over again. But for now, I’ve got to start again from the bottom.”

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/home/headli ... -tells-all

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 30 Oct 2015, 22:40

Samoan sagas rage on . . .

ormer Manu Samoa player, Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu has responded to Lefau Harry Schuster’s letter in yesterday’s Samoa Observer under the title “Lefau issues response.”

It is published here in full:

Face to face is a waste of space.

Discuss it in the media so ALL of Samoa and Samoans around the world can learn the truth. No more hiding.

No more lies. For the betterment of Samoan rugby, get it all out there for the people to know.

My views are not sensationalist. I am the player on the field. I literally spilled my blood for Samoa. I have broken my body for Samoa. I write this because neither you Harry, nor the I.R.B/ World Rugby will ever break my heart for Samoa.

Firstly, Samoa won the World Sevens Series in May 2010, NOT 2011 like you said. The H.P.U. was opened in August 2011. Unless you have a time machine, the H.P.U. had NOTHING to do with Samoa winning the 7s. It didn’t even exist! Please try again. The H.P.U. did not develop those wonderful local Samoan players. Samoa did. Samoa has always created wonderful local talent. Alesana, Henry and the Tuilagi brothers, David Lemi, Chris Masoe, Uale Mai, Murry Faasavalu and Brian Lima. Samoa created wonderful talent well before there was an H.P.U. and Samoa will continue to create talent without the H.P.U.

In fact, before the H.P.U. opened, Samoa 7s finished 3rd place twice and won the World Sevens Series in 2010. Since the H.P.U. was opened, however, there has been little success in Sevens and Samoa is at their lowest-ever placing. You can say the same for Manu Samoa 15s. Before the H.P.U. was opened Manu Samoa had its greatest victory of all time, beating Australia in Australia. Since the H.P.U. was opened, Manu Samoa is now the lowest ranking Manu Samoa team of all time. Please do not glorify the H.P.U. as the second coming of the rugby saviour. Samoan rugby has been doing worse ever since the H.P.U. opened. Why is that?

Yes Harry, corruption. Have you seen how people fundraise for Manu Samoa now? They use the catch phrase “The money will go DIRECTLY to the players!” There is no Samoan left in the world who trusts you or the S.R.U. with their hard-earned money.

Can you imagine what prospective sponsors are thinking? No thank you.

Mahonri and John Campbell told the world about it in 2011, when the millions raised for the 2011 R.W.C. went missing. That is why Mahonri was dropped. Mahonri went on to win two Super 15 titles with the Chiefs.

Only idiocy or corruption drops a player and leader of that rare quality.

There was the 2011 audit by Lesa ma Penn Certified Public Accountants, which was highly critical of S.R.U. and outlined unprofessional practices.

8 missing receipt books, lack of completed final statements, no segregation of duties between who receives and records revenue and no system to record sponsors. They then followed up in a letter in 2012 which said “there is no indication that an effort was made to rectify these issues”.

I also have in my possession the emails between you and the I.R.B, in which the I.R.B. advised you not to pick me again.

I destroyed the world champions South Africa and you cut me because the I.R.B.

said to. Again, idiocy or corruption? Take a pick.

Harry, your comment of rugby being the same simple game has changed my opinion. Your opinion is not obsolete. It is ridiculously obsolete. It is a COMPLETELY different ball game now!

Samoa has a small budget but whose fault is that?

The All Blacks, Australia and South Africa do not receive zero dollars from games in Europe anymore! They receive millions from a sold-out game at Twickenham whereas Samoa receives bread crumbs from the same sold-out game.

And this is why you do not idiotically cut the best players. Best players means winning team and winning team means business leverage. Where are these people you say who deal with multimillion dollar contracts?

They are dealing in multi-million air molecules at the moment because Samoa receives nothing.

Even Brett Gosper, the C.E.O. of World Rugby, admitted to Daniel Leo in their recent meeting that there exists a huge discrepancy in profit share for teams like Samoa.

In 2014, The Prime Minster, Chairman of the Board, asked why is Samoa still stuck “in an amateur deal” where all the money goes to the host nation?

Samoa is stuck in the SAME amateur deal because you think it is the SAME simple rugby!

S.R.U. contract negotiators are being ripped off by better European contract negotiators.

This is the Rugby today. We cannot live on our knees anymore, with our hands out, begging World Rugby for crumbs. It is time to stand up and demand what is owed to Samoan rugby.

Samoa once again sold out all their games at the World Cup. The largest viewing audience of all time was the match between Japan and Samoa! Sold out games at Twickenham and all over Europe. It is time to fight for what is owed to Samoa!

Harry, you were at my case against the I.R.B. after the R.W.C. 2011. You sat in the room, in front of the judiciary, with me. You watched me fight for 8 hours against the I.R.B.

Over a thousand Samoans waited outside for 8 hours waving Samoan flags, singing Samoan songs. I fought for better treatment from these rubbish referees. I fought for Samoa to have the same rest other teams were enjoying.

I fought for a better share in money for Samoa.

You were there Harry. For 8 hours.

And you said NOTHING. For 8 hours.

If you continue to remain in your position then I ask you, for the sake of Samoa, stop saying nothing to the I.R.B. Please fight for Samoa.

Samoa rugby is making a loss every year but Samoa generates millions for Europe and World Rugby. Now is your time to fight.

For the supporters who wake up in the early hours of the morning to support Manu. For the players who are spilling blood for Samoa and proudly losing money doing it.

Do not sit in the room for 8 hours anymore and say nothing.

I know you love Samoa as much as I do. It is time to fight.

And no, I do not wish to be a part of an organisation which served so much injustice on me. The same people who served the injustice remain and nothing would be more insulting to me than to work under and answer to the same people.

I wish you all the best for the upcoming elections.

God Bless Samoa.

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/home/headli ... -hits-back

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 20 Dec 2015, 21:50

Former club-mate of mine at Wellington's Western Suburbs, ex-All Black Alama Ieramia, set to be named as Samoa coach :D

A local person might not be the Coach of the Manu Samoa but the position holder will be a Samoan nonetheless.

That’s what the Samoa Observer can tell you as the Samoa Rugby Union (S.R.U) is set to announce Namualuulu Alama Ieremia as the new Head Coach of the Manu Samoa, some time this week.

It was not possible to get an official comment from the S.R.U yesterday. Namulauulu had also declined to discuss the position when he was contacted.

The Samoa Observer, however, understands from reliable sources that a selection panel, headed by former All Blacks captain, Graham Mourie, opted for Namulauulu at the end of an exhaustive interviewing process involving close to 20 applicants.

The final selection came down to Namulauulu and another New Zealander. “He was by far the best person for the job out of all the candidates,” the Samoa Observer was told.

“While there were other overseas applicants, none of them had the experience of Alama and so in the end the panel made the recommendation and the Board has accepted it.”

The Samoa Observer can also reveal that none of the applicants was a well known Super rugby coach.

Namulauulu was the Assistant Coach during the Manu Samoa’s campaign at the Rugby World Cup this year.

He is also a former assistant coach of the Wellington Hurricanes.

*Born 27 October 1970 in Samoa, Namulauulu is a former Manu Samoa as well as a former All Black.

He played provincial rugby with Wellington and played in the former Super 12 with the Hurricanes. He played at centre and played professional rugby with Japanese side Suntory Sungoliath.

Namulauulu has the distinction of scoring the first ever try in Super rugby, against the Blues in the inaugural Super 12 match in Palmerston North in 1996.

He played internationals for Samoa during the 1992-93 season and was on the tour of New Zealand in 1993, playing in seven matches and for Samoa against the All Blacks at Eden Park in the first official international between the two countries.

But the following year Namulauulu and halfback Ofisa Tonu'u, as they were entitled to do at the time, changed their allegiances to New Zealand and both subsequently became All Blacks.

Namulauulu’s promotion was rapid for after the All Blacks had lost a two-test series against France in 1994 he was introduced for the three tests against the Springboks, playing at second five eighths with Frank Bunce, another who had been blooded by Samoa at test level, outside him at centre.

Namulauulu was in the 1995 World Cup squad, but played only the pool match against Japan.

For most of 1995 and 1996 the All Blacks' preference was for Walter Little as Bunce's partner and it was only an injury to Little that gave Ieremia his first extensive run as a regular test selection in 1997.

An injury during the 1998 Super 12 ruled him out of All Black selection that year. But he returned in 1999 and for the first part of the international programme he was used mainly at centre but for the bulk of the World Cup later in the year he was back at second five.

In 2000 he was again an All Black first choice, mainly again as a centre.

Ieremia, a cheerful, articulate personality, was a strong, incisive runner and at 1.87m and 100 kg an imposing and powerful defender.

He also had well developed skills and a solid boot. At his best, and when free from injury, he was one of the most consistently successful midfielders New Zealand rugby has had.

When he left New Zealand rugby at the end of the 2000 season to take up an overseas contract Ieremia had played 40 matches for the All Blacks, including 30 tests.

http://sobserver.ws/en/21_12_2015/local ... -coach.htm

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Tue, 22 Dec 2015, 21:43

Kieran Crowley extends contract to August 2017, while Alama Ieremia has been confirmed as the new Manu Samoa head coach

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 22 Dec 2015, 21:52

It’s official.

The Samoa Rugby Union has announced that Namulauulu Alama Ieremia is the new Manu Samoa coach.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Union, Faleomavaega Vincent Fepuleai made the announcement in a statement this morning.

“We are delighted that Namulauulu will lead our coaching programme, in particular, taking on the Head Coach role for Manu Samoa,” Faleomavaega said.

“We are fortunate that one of our own sons, has been emerged from a highly competitive process, as the best choice for Samoa Rugby. As a professional coach, he knows what is required to deliver results, and as a Samoan, he understands the humility he will need to rebuild support for the team.”

http://www.sobserver.ws/en/23_12_2015/l ... -coach.htm

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 24 Jul 2017, 19:58

New domestic comp in Samoa? http://www.iniinisamoa.com/2017/07/07/s ... ion-teams/

Looks neat, but I know nothing of domestic rugby there. It describes it as an "upgrade" to the NPC, so I guess that means that competition is ending?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Sat, 05 Aug 2017, 02:33

As expected Alama Ieremia has been sacked by the Samoan Rugby Union!!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Fri, 01 Sep 2017, 00:46

Apparantly, former Samoan head coach Titimaea Tafua has applied for the job again having lost out to Alama Ieremia in 2015. Tafua ironically a bored member of the Samoan Rugby Union was one of the key people forming Ieremia out, so no surprise he's applied. Brian Lima also another name I've seen chucked about.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Tue, 12 Sep 2017, 11:42

Robbie Fruean wants to play for Samoa (nice article on a man who hasnt always had it easy). I saw him play in the flesh last week and he looked rusty and nervous, but he came onto a good game in the second half.

https://theoffsideline.com/2017/09/11/r ... s-revival/

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum