Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Samoa Rugby

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Samoa Rugby

Postby Petelo » Sun, 25 May 2014, 20:17

In keeping with the other threads of this nature on here, this is the place to go for discussion of all domestic and union-related news to do with Samoa Rugby (so help us God).

Latest news is that Punivalu has quit as Samoa 7s coach. I think he is a good guy who tried his best, but he was clearly out of his depth.

Manu Sevens coach quits
Saturday, 24 May 2014 07:53 Deidre Taotua Fanene and Ilia L. Likou 0 Comments

EX MANU SEVENS COACH: Viliamu Punivalu.

The embattled coach of the 8th I.R.B. ranked Manu Samoa Sevens team, Viliamu Punivalu, has resigned, less than a year into his role.

His resignation was apparently submitted, discussed and approved by the Board of the Samoa Rugby Union (S.R.U.) on Thursday night.

Repeated attempts to obtain a comment from the S.R.U. yesterday about Punivalu’s resignation – among other issues – were unsuccessful.

When the Weekend Observer visited the Union’s office at Tuana’imato in the afternoon, officials there said Chief Executive Officer, Fred Amoa, had left early in the morning to meet with the Chairman, Tuilaepa Sa’ilele Malielegaoi.

He was not back when the Weekend Observer left.

Meanwhile, contacted for a comment, Punivalu confirmed his resignation.

“I’m done and I’m no longer there,” he said about his position with the S.R.U. “I have already given them my resignation letter.”

But Punivalu declined to elaborate.

“I cannot comment any further because I’m no longer there. So you will have to talk to the S.R.U. to get the information that you need.”

Punivalu’s decision comes on the back of a poor performance by the Manu Samoa Sevens. The team finished 8th on the I.R.B.

Sevens rankings, the worst position Samoa has been since winning the world title several years ago.

Punivalu’s appointment, announced last year, raised a lot of eyebrows.

At the time, A.C.E.O. of S.R.U., Tavui Mike Lemisio assured members of the public that Punivalu was the “most outstanding” candidate from a field of applicants that included Manu Samoa legends, Muliagatele Brian Lima and Lemalu Semo Sititi. Tavui is no longer with the S.R.U.

But from the start, Punivalu knew the job ahead was not easy.

“It’s hard to please everyone in the country,” he said during his first media interview following his appointment.

Asked if he was not fearful – considering the recent history of the S.R.U. – where they’ve even sacked coaches with some level of success, he said: “I’ve given this role a lot of thought.

“Coaching the national team of a country that is so passionate about rugby is not a decision you just wake up and make.

“I’m committed and ready to give it my all.

If in the case that I’m not successful, I can step aside and allow another coach to come in.

“But while I’ve got the job, I’m going to do the job to the very best of my ability. If it’s not good enough, I will walk away happy knowing that at least I’ve done my best.”

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Samoa Rugby

Postby ogrelord » Sun, 25 May 2014, 22:21

Stephen Betham has named a 47-man training squad. 24 will go to Japan for the one-off test before the European pros arrive for the PNC.

TO JAPAN:
Sam Aiono, Aniseko Sio, Ropeti Lafo, Andrew Williams, Jake Grey, Raymond Salu, Fa'atiga Lemalu, Maselino Paulino, Levi Asifa'amatala, Oneone Fa'afou, Lio Lolo, Falemiga Selesele, Misioka Timoteo, Vavao Afemai, Vaiofaga Simanu, Patrick Fa'apale, Meki Magele, Kaino Thomsen, Anitele'a Tuilagi, Reupena Levasa, Fautua Otto, Tulolo Tulolo, Brando Va'aulu, James So'oialo.

FOR PNC:
Logovi'i Mulipola, Sakaria Taulafo, Ole Avei, Ti'i Paulo, Census Johnston, James Johnston, Anthony Perenise, Piula Fa'asalele, Daniel Leo, Filo Paulo, Kane Thompson, Maurie Fa'asavalu, Jack Lam, Faifili Levave, Ofisa Treviranus, Kahn Fotuali'i, Jeremy Su'a, Tusi Pisi, Alapati Leiua, Johnny Leota, George Pisi, David Lemi, Fa'atoina Autagavaia.

LINK

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Mon, 26 May 2014, 01:21

Petelo wrote:In keeping with the other threads of this nature on here, this is the place to go for discussion of all domestic and union-related news to do with Samoa Rugby (so help us God).

[/quote]

Is it really all that dire? :P

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Mon, 26 May 2014, 04:51

That bad? The 7s team is totally kaea. I cannot believe how badly they've gone since Betham left the scene. I guess that was the golden generation of players, who have now retired or too old for the Manu 7s now. I actually saw Mikaele Pesamino at Mr Burger Lalovaea back in January. He still looks fit, but I couldn't help but think how that guy was the toast of Samoa back in 2007-2010, and now he is just another face in the crowd.

People on the social media networks are starting to call for Uale Ma'i to be the coach. I think he should definitely be involved, but whatever team he is involved in should be all-local for best results. The guy cannot speak english to save himself, so it'll be a waste of time having overseas-based players to come in unless they are fluent in Samoan.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Mon, 26 May 2014, 04:57

In other news, the SRU are sending a team dressed up as the "Samoa Water President's 10" for the World Club Rugby 10s in Singapore. Samoa Water is asking for online votes to see which jersey people want for the team. That Rugby 10s tournament is set to be a big event to open the brand spanking new state of the art National Stadium in Singapore. One of the biggest stakeholders organising this event are the same people behind the proposed Asia-Pacific Dragons super rugby bid for 2016.

Vote here!

Frangipani

or

Black

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Mon, 26 May 2014, 11:10

Latest news on the Super Rugby bids.

Hong Kong is out of the running. Asian RFU president, Trevor Gregory, said it is unaffordable for Asia. He is also the president of the HKRFU and he definitely ruled HK out of the running.

Japan met about the issue today, so I will be very interested to learn of news from Japan, as to whether they are going to put a bid in.

Officially, Singapore is still in the running. From Samoa's point of view, all our Super Rugby eggs are in the Singapore basket!!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ogrelord » Mon, 26 May 2014, 21:50

Punivalu was a disaster and for me it's because he is a lousy selector. Yes it's hard to replace Ma'i, Lui, Mikaele, Fa'osiliva etc but there is more than enough talent left to put together a great team. He chopped and changed nearly every tournament and had four different captains over the season. That's never going to be successful.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:13

Petelo wrote:That bad? The 7s team is totally kaea. I cannot believe how badly they've gone since Betham left the scene. I guess that was the golden generation of players, who have now retired or too old for the Manu 7s now. I actually saw Mikaele Pesamino at Mr Burger Lalovaea back in January. He still looks fit, but I couldn't help but think how that guy was the toast of Samoa back in 2007-2010, and now he is just another face in the crowd.

People on the social media networks are starting to call for Uale Ma'i to be the coach. I think he should definitely be involved, but whatever team he is involved in should be all-local for best results. The guy cannot speak english to save himself, so it'll be a waste of time having overseas-based players to come in unless they are fluent in Samoan.

damn one thing they had really missed was a finisher someone with real pace, didn't realize he was back in samoa was he actively playing sevens there?

Yes it should be local based players as it does help as an outlet for them to play high level competitive rugby and help feed the depth of the 15's squad and really gives the local boys a chance to show what they have to get recognition to get contracts to play pro rugby, they have much fewer opportunities to the samoan's overseas especially those living/playing in NZ and Australia.

One thing though, if they capped overseas players that would help commit them to samoa before they get recognized by other unions? And also, though when it comes to the big tournaments like commonwealth games and the future Olympics do they bring in players who might be based overseas playing pro 15's to boost the squad like NZ has done in similar circumstances if it is available to them? Like some of the players who where previously successful for the manu 7's but are now playing pro 15's if they are off contract or can find a way to be released or its off season for them?

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Tue, 27 May 2014, 04:15

Petelo wrote:In other news, the SRU are sending a team dressed up as the "Samoa Water President's 10" for the World Club Rugby 10s in Singapore. Samoa Water is asking for online votes to see which jersey people want for the team. That Rugby 10s tournament is set to be a big event to open the brand spanking new state of the art National Stadium in Singapore. One of the biggest stakeholders organising this event are the same people behind the proposed Asia-Pacific Dragons super rugby bid for 2016.

Vote here!

Frangipani

or

Black

If the light blue was a bit darker I would vote for that one, its a bit too light and might clash with whatever the fijians might be wearing especially with the patterns.

meh I would vote for the lighter ones anyway, be more cooler for the players its hot over there yeah? True they should be use to it, but every little bit I guess.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Wed, 28 May 2014, 05:21

I voted for the lighter one. Hopefully they wear dark shorts for that though.

Anyway, the details for the Apia Park tests in a few weeks:

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Mon, 02 Jun 2014, 22:29

Samoa u20s 12-48 New Zealand u20s

I thought the team played well and really pushed the kiwis for 70 minutes. There was a time there in the 2nd half when the Samoan forwards were dominating the NZ forwards, laying seige to the kiwi line and even shoving back their pack in one of the scrums. Their coaches must've been worried because they threw on the rest of their super rugby players, Tevita Li and Simon Hickey, who took a while to get going but helped blow the score out in the last 10 minutes.

I thought Richard Mariota (8) had an outstanding match, as well as the tight forwards as a unit. Their defensive mistakes in the slippery dew of the cold auckland night were pounced on with glee though. NZ and South Africa will be a massive game. The africans blowing Scotland off the park with a 61-5 demolition job.

For Samoa, I think they should target the Scottish match for a win. They've beaten Scotland before at this level. Cut down their mistakes, use their outside backs a bit more and hopefully good things can happen. I just hope they haven't blown their load with the huge effort they made last night.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 03 Jun 2014, 05:39

It was actually a good game with a lot of hard hits, Samoa defended very well but the Junior Blacks were just to polished, Fridays games are a lot more interesting, I see Samoa turning over Scotland and the other match in the group will be a close one. Samoa have certainly improved a lot since they played in the JWRT a few years ago, someone is doing some hard work.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Wed, 04 Jun 2014, 08:25

Petelo wrote:Samoa u20s 12-48 New Zealand u20s

I thought the team played well and really pushed the kiwis for 70 minutes. There was a time there in the 2nd half when the Samoan forwards were dominating the NZ forwards, laying seige to the kiwi line and even shoving back their pack in one of the scrums. Their coaches must've been worried because they threw on the rest of their super rugby players, Tevita Li and Simon Hickey, who took a while to get going but helped blow the score out in the last 10 minutes.

I thought Richard Mariota (8) had an outstanding match, as well as the tight forwards as a unit. Their defensive mistakes in the slippery dew of the cold auckland night were pounced on with glee though. NZ and South Africa will be a massive game. The africans blowing Scotland off the park with a 61-5 demolition job.

For Samoa, I think they should target the Scottish match for a win. They've beaten Scotland before at this level. Cut down their mistakes, use their outside backs a bit more and hopefully good things can happen. I just hope they haven't blown their load with the huge effort they made last night.

It was not only their defensive mistakes but their ball handling that really let them down, it stopped them from building pressure on NZ and to threaten NZ and it provided a lot of opportunities for NZ to attack from. If a lot of those passes had gone to hand or where better not forcing players to stop and collect then yeah I think Samoa could of scored more points and had less points put on them. They really worked hard to turn over ball and get possession then did not know what to do with it.

They should of kept it tight more then spun it wide, keep it simple suck in defenders then go out wide, but their passing even in close was terrible their halfbacks where terrible.

It was not only one scrum as well, actually most of the scrums samoa had NZ under some pressure,yeah Samoan NO8 had a good game, so did samoan NO2 till he went off, only thing about the samoan No8 is he got pinged a fair bit for leaving the scrum way to early,

SA look ominous and the way NZ struggled up front with Samoa makes me think SA will be the favorites when they take on NZ.

What made me smile was it seemed samoa had more support than NZ like they where the home team in terms of crowd noise :D.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Wed, 04 Jun 2014, 08:51

Suavai wrote:
It was not only their defensive mistakes but their ball handling that really let them down, it stopped them from building pressure on NZ and to threaten NZ and it provided a lot of opportunities for NZ to attack from. If a lot of those passes had gone to hand or where better not forcing players to stop and collect then yeah I think Samoa could of scored more points and had less points put on them. They really worked hard to turn over ball and get possession then did not know what to do with.

Yeah agree with you there. Great turnovers and then they were like deer in headlights. Needed more composure.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Wed, 04 Jun 2014, 09:20

On another subject, I wonder how many times Lima Sopoaga has rebuffed Samoa? He obviously has every right to pursue his All Black aspirations but there is no way he is going to get into the All Blacks before the world cup at least. They have Carter, Cruden, Barrett, and Slade. They also have Tom Taylor, who played well against the Wallabies last year.

Samoa seriously needs a competent kicker for any world cup tilt at the quarter finals. Tusi Pisi kicked well in the Australia win, but he has never been a consistent kicker since. James So'oialo is a better kicker than Tusi, but Tusi is a better flyhalf.

If Sopoaga chooses Samoa, and plays well, he would earn more money in Europe as an international player than he would in NZ as a super rugby player. I personally know a player in the Samoa team who earned $250,000 NZD, after 5 years. He started off on $120,000 NZD, just because he made the Manu Samoa. In Japan, he got $300,000 NZD. This guy didn't even play super rugby in NZ. He got his contract in the UK all because of the exposure he got playing for Samoa in a few test matches. That is Samoa's main pulling power for players. It can provide a platform to expose players to euro club scouts and lead to a big pay day in Europe, or Japan.

I don't know what money Lima Sopoaga is on in NZ, but if he arrives in europe as a super rugby player and an international player who played at the world cup, I am sure he could get much more than anything he is on in NZ.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 01:57

MR 7s RUGBY IS BACK IN CHARGE OF THE SAMOA 7s TEAM.

FUIMAONO 'DICKY' TITIMAEA TAFUA

He'll have to rebuild a brand new team of "golden generators", like what he did with the 2007 team. He cannot rely on the old players. They're gone. His job is to find the next group of champions. It is a much more difficult environment he works in now. The richer tier-2, tier-1 and even tier-3 countries are pouring huge amounts of money into their 7s programmes in aniticipation of the Rio Olympics. Samoa simply cannot match those kinds of resources. NZ is a small country at the top of the world of rugby because I think they have the best coaches in the world, who are always evaluating their systems and innovating with their tactics. Samoa is also a small country, much smaller than NZ, but it punches well above its weight in rugby (and other sports as well tbf).

Dicky needs to recognise that the 7s world has moved on from 2007-2008 and respond to the here and now with an innovative solution to our weaknesses on the field. Samoa's game used to be the kings of the kick-off with players like Jerry Meafou and Simaika Mikaele. Then you'd have the Uale Mai and Lolo Lui axis who directed attacks straight up the centre of the field in a straight channel, with big bolshers like Alafoti Faosiliva and Ofisa Treviranus punching holes or speedsters like Mikaele Pesamino. Their defensive system was all smothering as well. Again, Uale Mai and Lolo Lui the generals directing the line of defence, whilst Alafoti and Ofisa would cling to balls like leeches and win crucial turnovers.

Dicky has a little over 12 months to find the next group of players and build a game plan around them that is good enough to beat the sheer mechanical might of money and resources of the richer countries.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 04:12

Petelo wrote:Image

On another subject, I wonder how many times Lima Sopoaga has rebuffed Samoa? He obviously has every right to pursue his All Black aspirations but there is no way he is going to get into the All Blacks before the world cup at least. They have Carter, Cruden, Barrett, and Slade. They also have Tom Taylor, who played well against the Wallabies last year.

Samoa seriously needs a competent kicker for any world cup tilt at the quarter finals. Tusi Pisi kicked well in the Australia win, but he has never been a consistent kicker since. James So'oialo is a better kicker than Tusi, but Tusi is a better flyhalf.

If Sopoaga chooses Samoa, and plays well, he would earn more money in Europe as an international player than he would in NZ as a super rugby player. I personally know a player in the Samoa team who earned $250,000 NZD, after 5 years. He started off on $120,000 NZD, just because he made the Manu Samoa. In Japan, he got $300,000 NZD. This guy didn't even play super rugby in NZ. He got his contract in the UK all because of the exposure he got playing for Samoa in a few test matches. That is Samoa's main pulling power for players. It can provide a platform to expose players to euro club scouts and lead to a big pay day in Europe, or Japan.

I don't know what money Lima Sopoaga is on in NZ, but if he arrives in europe as a super rugby player and an international player who played at the world cup, I am sure he could get much more than anything he is on in NZ.

he still wants the AB jersey I guess.

But if not the ABs move to aussie and try and make the wallabies?

Or got to europe and try and make one of their teams?

Still earn more money playing for another country.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 05:38

Suavai wrote:

The SRU should be throwing everything at him to get him to play for Samoa either at the end of year tour this year or next year's June series. He is obviously still wanting to make the All Blacks, but there is no way he is going to make the All Blacks before the RWC 2015.

Therefore, his options appear to be:

Option a) Wait until after the world cup for a possible All Black call-up, and hope that he remains in good form and injury-free.
Option b) Declare for Samoa in time for the world cup, play at the world cup, and then sign for a European club post-world cup.

Option A depends on which players in the All Blacks leave for Europe or retire. Carter is likely to retire or move to Japan to see out the rest of his career. Cruden and Barrett are definitely going to remain in NZ because they will be battling it out to be the number 1 All Black flyhalf. Taylor is still young and will still have opportunities to be a permanent All Black squad member or and challenge as the number 2 flyhalf. Slade is likely to either retire or go to Japan / Europe, but could even hang around. Then we have new young blood coming up from NZ u20s and the NPC all the time, as well as the others. Simon Hickey and Ihaia West could possibly stake their claims. Sopoaga would compete well with Hickey and West on current form and I would put him ahead of them. However, he still has Cruden, Barrett, and Taylor in front of him. There is no guarantee of an All Black spot at all. He is still young though, so he has time on his side. He could possibly be around in 2019, but he is taking a big risk. He was already injured for most of the year last year. If he gets injured, his stocks will plummet as others get more exposure in the NZ market.

Option B would seem to be the better option. He is easily better than Tusi Pisi. He would command the number one flyhalf position with the Manu Samoa and he would get maximum exposure at the world cup. A world cup in the UK with the maximum northern hemisphere TV audience which would guarantee his profile rises in the player market, especially if he ends up kicking Samoa into the quarter-finals ahead of Scotland, and puts up a good performance against the Springboks. He would command a very good salary in either France or the UK if he benefits from that. Much higher than anything he could get in NZ as an NPC and Super rugby player.... and if he kicks Samoa into the semi-finals, well... Toulon here he comes :D

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 06:55

Petelo wrote:
Suavai wrote:

The SRU should be throwing everything at him to get him to play for Samoa either at the end of year tour this year or next year's June series. He is obviously still wanting to make the All Blacks, but there is no way he is going to make the All Blacks before the RWC 2015.

Therefore, his options appear to be:

Option a) Wait until after the world cup for a possible All Black call-up, and hope that he remains in good form and injury-free.
Option b) Declare for Samoa in time for the world cup, play at the world cup, and then sign for a European club post-world cup.

Option A depends on which players in the All Blacks leave for Europe or retire. Carter is likely to retire or move to Japan to see out the rest of his career. Cruden and Barrett are definitely going to remain in NZ because they will be battling it out to be the number 1 All Black flyhalf. Taylor is still young and will still have opportunities to be a permanent All Black squad member or and challenge as the number 2 flyhalf. Slade is likely to either retire or go to Japan / Europe, but could even hang around. Then we have new young blood coming up from NZ u20s and the NPC all the time, as well as the others. Simon Hickey and Ihaia West could possibly stake their claims. Sopoaga would compete well with Hickey and West on current form and I would put him ahead of them. However, he still has Cruden, Barrett, and Taylor in front of him. There is no guarantee of an All Black spot at all. He is still young though, so he has time on his side. He could possibly be around in 2019, but he is taking a big risk. He was already injured for most of the year last year. If he gets injured, his stocks will plummet as others get more exposure in the NZ market.

Option B would seem to be the better option. He is easily better than Tusi Pisi. He would command the number one flyhalf position with the Manu Samoa and he would get maximum exposure at the world cup. A world cup in the UK with the maximum northern hemisphere TV audience which would guarantee his profile rises in the player market, especially if he ends up kicking Samoa into the quarter-finals ahead of Scotland, and puts up a good performance against the Springboks. He would command a very good salary in either France or the UK if he benefits from that. Much higher than anything he could get in NZ as an NPC and Super rugby player.... and if he kicks Samoa into the semi-finals, well... Toulon here he comes :D

yeah even slade is ahead of him, but he might just forget about the next world cup and try and put himself in position for the next one, even might take a couple years overseas then go back to nz 2 years before the next one.

Would love to see him play for the manu but hopefully its this year if he does to well...get some game time for them before the next world cup.

Postby Beeman » Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 12:03

Ole Avei regarded by Midi Olympique as the best hooker in the Top 14. http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/20 ... tory.shtml

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 12:11

oh yeah hes very good with ball in hand.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Fri, 06 Jun 2014, 03:14

Late Scottish come back on the cards here at Pukekohe.

Samoa u20s - 27-18 Scotland (Scotch just scored an unconverted try).... 10 MINUTES TO GO!!!!!!!!!! COME ON BOYS!!!

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Fri, 06 Jun 2014, 03:31

Final score 27-18 to Samoa.

Great result for Semo Setiti's boys. That is their result for the tournament now. They will be hammered by the south africans in 4 days time, but at least they beat Tier-1 Scotland.

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Petelo » Fri, 06 Jun 2014, 05:31

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Postby Suavai » Fri, 06 Jun 2014, 05:41

unfortunately I missed that game, looks like they won't replay it on sky grrrrr, but well done, I heard they won with that convincing scoreline while even being down to 13 men?

Next

Return to Rugby Forum