Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Pacific Nations Cup 2017

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: Pacific Nations Cup 2017

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 13 Jul 2017, 11:50

Just in case anyone needs club affiliations for Samoa ( source = http://www.samoaobserver.ws/en/13_07_20 ... r-Fiji.htm

The team is: (Club, Village)

1. Jordan Lay - Whakarewarewa, Safotu/Sasina
2. Elia Elia - Harlequins, Salelesi/Afega
3. Paul Alo-Emile - Stade Francais, Leulumoega Tuai/Fasito'o-Tai/Falefa
4. Chris Vui - Worcester Warriors, Foaluga/Lano /Saasaai
5. Faatiga Lemalu - Saracens, Faleasiu/Lefaga
6. Piula Faasalele - Toulouse, Magiagi/Nofoalii
7. Jack Lam - Bristol, Gataivai/Malie/Taga
8. Faifili Levave - Mitsubishi , Lalomanu/Fasito'o-Uta
9. Kahn Fotualii - Bath, Faleapuna
10. Tusiata Pisi - Bristol, Lefaga Safaatoa/Toamua
11. David Lemi - Bristol, Iva/Vaiafai
12. Reynold Lee-Lo - Cardiff Blues, Vailima/Magiagi/Satolepai
13. Kieron Fonotia - Ospreys, Apia
14. Alapati Leiua - Wasps, Malie
15. Tim Nanai Williams - Chiefs, Manono/Falelatai

16. Seilala Lam - Nevers, Gataivai/Malie/Taga
17. Nephi Leatigaga - Piacenza, Saleloga/Siumu
18. James Lay - Whakarewarewa, Safotu/Sasina
19. Galu Taufale - Poneke, Manono Uta/Falelatai
20. Vavae Tuilagi - Carcasonne, Fatausi/Fogopoa/Lalomalava
21. Auvasa Falealii - Nevers, Letogo/Lefaga Gagaifo
22. D’Angelo Leuila - Papatoetoe, Gataivai/Fagalii
23. Ahsee Tuala - Northampton, Moamoa/Gataivai

Also preview article at http://www.samoaobserver.ws/en/12_07_20 ... -here!.htm

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 00:41

Will this game be broadcasted live?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 02:17

omg Fiji are killing me, giving away so many basic penalty's and errors, they should be winning this a lot more comfortably. They're keeping Samoa in the game. Just as I write this Volavola kicks the ball over Samoa's deadline giving them possession in their own 22

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 02:30

Muzzy wrote:Will this game be broadcasted live?

http://www.worldrugby.org/live-video

Samoa 16-28 Fiji at 60 min.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 02:33

argie wrote:
Muzzy wrote:Will this game be broadcasted live?

http://www.worldrugby.org/live-video

Samoa 16-28 Fiji at 60 min.

Thanks, yeah I managed to find a stream. WorldRugby is blocked in NZ

So far so good for Fiji. Hate to say it but Iremia might not be a good coach. With the players Samoa have on paper they should be doing a lot better. This is a full strength backline for Samoa. Super Rugby stars all over the place.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 03:10

¿Tonga is Oceania 2 at Pool C?.

Last edited by argie on Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 03:11

yep, samoa just needed a drop goal or penalty to be oceania 2 but they failed

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 03:44

Well that just threw a spanner in the works.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 04:49

So in a nutshell, Tonga qualify as Oceania 2 for the RWC, while Samoa will meet Europe 3 for a place at the high table? :lol: . It keeps getting better and better. You can't make such things up.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 08:12

Germans, Russians, Portuguese... Let's all reunite to kindly remind Samoa that Pool B is easier than Pool A.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 15 Jul 2017, 11:32

Muzzy wrote:So far so good for Fiji. Hate to say it but Iremia might not be a good coach. With the players Samoa have on paper they should be doing a lot better. This is a full strength backline for Samoa. Super Rugby stars all over the place.

Maybe they have the backs but the halves are old and I don't rate their pack, many players from there are simply average. Seniloli (Timisoara) scored 3 tries. :thumbup:

LE: full match here

https://youtu.be/t3Et9nx9ydI

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 06:33

amz wrote:
Muzzy wrote:So far so good for Fiji. Hate to say it but Iremia might not be a good coach. With the players Samoa have on paper they should be doing a lot better. This is a full strength backline for Samoa. Super Rugby stars all over the place.

Maybe they have the backs but the halves are old and I don't rate their pack, many players from there are simply average. Seniloli (Timisoara) scored 3 tries. :thumbup:

LE: full match here

https://youtu.be/t3Et9nx9ydI

Yeah I guess they are getting old, there was a time I rated Fotuali'i as one of the best halfbacks in the world. Still though even Samoas forward pack, most of them come from top clubs in Europe. You'd think they'd be a lot better.

Happy for Seniloli, he was man of the match for me. Not only the 3 tries but he did a good job of organizing the forwards, solid passing game. Glad he showed what he could do cause if Vularika wasn't injured Seniloli would have been on the bench. Mckee didn't even pick Seniloli last year, but hopefully this performance has opened his eyes. Matawalu and Seniloli are the two best halfbacks for Fiji, Vularika is alright, but the other two have more experience with professional clubs. I was also impressed by the young debutant halfback Frank Lomani. He was only on for a few minutes but made two solid contributions, the big tackle on Nanai-Williams driving him back 5 metre's and dislodging the ball from the Samoan player right at the end which ended the game.

Tim Nagusa was also really good, him and Seniloli were involved in almost every try for Fiji. Nagusa is really dangerous on the counter attack. But it seemed like he doesn't have a left boot on him, there were a couple times he was closed down from kicking off his right and instead of kicking with his left he opted to run it. Nagusa did start at center for Fiji against Italy in 2014, maybe they could experiment with him there again.

Volavola has got a lot better this season, looking like the next Nicky Little. I noticed he's been a lot better since the game against Japan last year. Goal kicking was flawless. Looking forward to see how he does North Harbour

The competition for places in Fiji's backline is really tough, but Fiji have no backup Fly Half. If Volavola is gone we're screwed unless Josh Matavesi comes back. Maybe Talebula should start playing Fly Half again. Thats probably his best chance of making the team now.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 10:56

I rate of course Fotuali'i and Pisi but they're 35 after all. As for the forwards, this isn't a guarantee they're good enough and certainly Samoa needs some coaching of the forwards. Backs are fine, lots of talent but lack of halves is a concern.

As for Fiji, to me they're almost Tier 1 for some years, certainly the best T2 side out there.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 12:19

Samoa had a good 20 year old fly half start in November. I guess they went with Pisi for experience in the RWC qualifiers.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 14:35

Armchair Fan wrote:Germans, Russians, Portuguese... Let's all reunite to kindly remind Samoa that Pool B is easier than Pool A.

I can't imagine them losing on purpose.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 16 Jul 2017, 14:46

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Samoa had a good 20 year old fly half start in November. I guess they went with Pisi for experience in the RWC qualifiers.

Hah now I remember him, I noticed him in November and see that Italian surname :)

They certainly have the talent and it is wise of course to play your experienced halves in such a match, hopefully they'll have time to give game time to young players to fill the holes. If Islanders would only have Unions with good administration...Tonga seem to put their act together and players are paid for playing and airfares returned. I got it wrong first with their match pay but I suppose is better than nothing and it is a start. It is important for them to continue playing at home.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 02:19

D'Angelo Leuila? yeah, Samoa are lucky to have him and Patrick Faapele but they went with Pisi, Fiji would kill to have a 2nd and 3rd option at 10.. LOL

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 06:55

National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Postby BelgraviaW » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 05:16

Does anyone know if Semi Radradra has expressed interest in playing for Fiji when he returns to rugby union at Toulon?

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 01:57

BelgraviaW wrote:Does anyone know if Semi Radradra has expressed interest in playing for Fiji when he returns to rugby union at Toulon?

many many times but we don't need him, if he played in the forwards, sure, but we don't need another winger, he may be great in league but union has different rules, our wings will be Nadolo, Osborne, Goneva, Nayacalevu, Masilevu, Nagusa and possibly Votu and Raka for the next 3 years, we do not need another winger.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 04:46

Warpath wrote:
BelgraviaW wrote:Does anyone know if Semi Radradra has expressed interest in playing for Fiji when he returns to rugby union at Toulon?

many many times but we don't need him, if he played in the forwards, sure, but we don't need another winger, he may be great in league but union has different rules, our wings will be Nadolo, Osborne, Goneva, Nayacalevu, Masilevu, Nagusa and possibly Votu and Raka for the next 3 years, we do not need another winger.

Fiji has some of the best backs in the world that's why they excel in 7s. The moment they can get a strong first 8 plus a strong bench for the pack, then they will be unstoppable.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum