Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Americas Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Americas Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 05:17

carbonero wrote:I think we had this conversation before. Every single soccer stadium in the country has either a fence or a pit surrounding the pitch.

That's intense. I don't think we had this conversation, but it reminds me of a story I was told by a former Eagle when they played down there in the late 80s. I guess if that's how it goes, that's how it goes.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 06:37

The 80’s are far behind. Back then things could get pretty intense, especially if test sides toured the country to play the provincial unions. We gave them the full soccer treatment: people spitting at the players, maybe even pissing at them, burning flags just for fun, etc. And the matches themselves were vicious. The Argentina -France rivalry during the 80’s has some of the most violent games ever played.

Things have changed dramatically. Even with the fences, a test match is one of the safest and family-friendly environments in local sports.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 11:44

Yep, that is South America roots football. You need to watch Copa Libertadores to understand why.

Lovely traditions such as toilet paper rains, policemen shielding players in the corner kick, a basic brawl in the ens of the match...

But rugby has nothing to do with it.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 12:59

I attended the Uruguay vs Argentina XV match for the 2016 Americas Rugby Championship in Punta del Este. Being summer, there were quite a few Argentine fans at the stadium.

As you would expect, fans from both sides often complained about the referee.

But when both teams got into a brawl, fans complained that they were fighting rather than playing, and there was no problem at all at the stands.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 13:10

Is it just soccer pitches with that type of fencing?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Nov 2017, 21:49

Yes. Rugby pitches don't have it. But major events need football pitches... the fences are everywhere, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Peru, Colombia, Paraguay... here in Brazil just the new stadiums built for the World Cup or by big clubs that want their stadiums to receive music shows don't have anymore those horrible fences. Because the new fences are the prohibitive prices of football tickets, much higher than the average Brazilian can afford... which is sad anyway IMO.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 19:01

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/1 ... -schedule/

The Canada-Uruguay match on January 27 will count for the 2018 Americas Rugby Championship, but not the Uruguay-Canada match on February 3.

All Uruguay matches will be held at the Estadio Charrúa.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 12 Dec 2017, 20:10

Should have had a two match series outside of the ARC...but whatever.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Dec 2017, 17:41

Referees and more venues confirmed for the Americas Rugby Championship 2018: http://officiating.worldrugby.org/?page ... ents&id=61

Canada vs Brazil will be in Fullerton, California... I guess because of climate?

Brazil vs Uruguay will be at the Pacaembu Stadium in São Paulo. The other Brazilian home matches will be in São José dos Campos. I have also the information that the Brazil vs Argentina match will have a preliminary event: the 2018 Youth South Americans Womens Sevens, that is the qualy for the Youth Olympics Buenos Aites 2018. But this is yet to be confirmed.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 15:26

I don't remember having ever read about any Youth South Americans Sevens, either men's or women's.

The sevens tournament at the Summer Youth Olympics only has six teams. According to Wikipedia, Argentina automatically qualified for 2018 as hosts. In 2014, Argentina seems to have qualified because of their performance at the 2013 World Cup Sevens (?).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 15:27

It will the first one.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 15:35

victorsra wrote:Referees and more venues confirmed for the Americas Rugby Championship 2018: http://officiating.worldrugby.org/?page ... ents&id=61

There it says that Uruguay-Argentina will play on February 17 at Punta del Este. It's on Carnaval weekend, so I guess plenty of Argentines will attend. Nice!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 19:48

About the Youth Olympics, Argentina is only qualified for the mens tournaments. They will have to play for qualification for womens.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 22 Dec 2017, 20:31

Pichot confirms an annual ARC "B" that will begin in August 2018.
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/1 ... -b-august/

thatrugbyguy wrote:Is it just soccer pitches with that type of fencing?

And these type of moats too.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 15:11

Argentina XV team for the 2018 ARC. Felipe Contepomi is the coach:

Forwards: Gaspar Baldunciel (Alumni), Diego Fortuny (Universitario de Salta), Axel Zapata (SITAS), Franco Brarda (Tala), Javier Diaz (Natación y Gimnasia), Francisco Ferronato (Belgrano), Benjamin Espinal (Belgrano), Lucas Favre (Lomas), Nicolás Leiva (Hindú), Santiago Medrano (Regatas Bella Vista), Juan Pablo Zeiss (Matreros), Diego Galetto (Urú Curé), Ignacio Larrague (CASI), Franco Molina (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Jerónimo Ureta (Newman), Lautaro Bavaro (Hindú), Rodrigo Bruni (San Luis), Tomás de la Vega (CUBA), Francisco Gorrissen (Belgrano), Santiago Montagner (Alumni), Santiago Portillo (Los Tarcos), Mariano Romanini (Alumni), Nicolás Sbrocco (Universitário de Tucumán);

Backs Gregorio Del Prete (San Luis), Luca Magnasco (Alumni), Facundo Nogueira (Marabunta), Martín Elias (Atlético del Rosario), Juan Cruz Gónzalez (CUBA), Tomás Granella (Liceo), Juan Cappiello (Pucará), Juan Cruz Mallía (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Lucas Mensa (Pucará), Santiago Resino (Universitário de Tucumán), Tomás Videla (Liceo), Rodrigo Etchart (SIC), Tomás Malanos (Atlético del Rosario), Julián Domínguez (Pucará), Germán Schulz (Tala), Gastón Arias (SIC), Bautista Delguy (Pucará);

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 28 Dec 2017, 22:36

Of the 40 Argentina XV players, 27 play in URBA clubs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 21 Mar 2018, 19:31

There is a strong possibility that for 2019 or 2020 the Americas Rugby Championship will be moved to August/September.

I posted in the South American thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99&start=1250

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 21 Mar 2018, 21:58

I feel like this thread makes more sense to comment in than the USA or maybe even SA thread, get a bit more traction going.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Mar 2018, 02:34

victorsra wrote:There is a strong possibility that for 2019 or 2020 the Americas Rugby Championship will be moved to August/September.

I posted in the South American thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99&start=1250

And you'd get the USA Selects for that one.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Mar 2018, 02:51

What I heard is that with MLR nd the SAL the focus will be that Americas' teams will focus on local leagues' players.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Mar 2018, 03:24

Commercially it makes little sense. Air Time would be non-existent here and getting stadiums would close to impossible if we wanted something of decent size during that period.

We have three levels of Football that attract fans: High School, College, NFL. Also during the period is when Baseball gets most contentious. Commercially it would be a failure...the gap is where we are.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum