Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Fiji Rugby

Re: Fiji Rugby

Postby 4N » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 15:25

Canalina wrote:
Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Depending on what Tier2 Italy play in November they will keep alive the dream of a perfect losing season. That should keep you happy :p

If calculations are correct , italy won 1/23 matches this year: 0/7 with the main team, 0/2 with the emerging, 1/9 with the u20, 0/5 with the women
We rock! :P

You take it in stride Canalina. :)

But I do get a bit sick of reading articles like this. Fiji and Georgia both had superior Junes yet here we have another article (something that could have been written circa 2006 honestly) about how Italy are slowly but surely turning a corner. I'd hope so, given all of the opportunities Italian rugby gets.

http://www.rugby365.com/countries/italy ... tive-force

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 19:07

The only way we can fight it is to share links to any articles about Tier2 & 3 countries that somehow reach the media and post comments on them to show that there is an interest. For example when last year Planet Rugby published an article or two on Romanian rugby.

Or perhaps write a piece yourself and submit it to a website (I believe the above Romanian piece was not by a professional journalist (apologies if I'm wrong on that)).

And yes, I am sorry for Tier2 but Italy are turning a corner and I was impressed by some of their play against Fiji and Australia. This time next year I think they will have had a 100% improvement... 2 wins in 23 games at all levels!

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby honestly_united » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 11:27

Congratulations to Fiji, deserved victory in the end. Was this a stronger than normal team for Fiji, ie did you get more French based players released than normal? Probably playing Scotland suits Fiji out of all the Tier 1's as we are not set piece or Maul dominated team and actually try and play rugby which probably plays into Fiji's hands as they do it so much better.

Nakarawa was sublime as always (can we get him back in Glasgow please!!) but made me smile when he kicked straight to touch with a chip down the line, even the worlds best player can make mistakes!

I could sit and make excuses why Scotland lost, but it was Fiji's day and dont want to take anything away from them. I thought we would get the win and it would be a similar game to the one in 2012. I just wish more countries would take the opportunities to play against the T2 nations

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 22:17

sk 88 wrote:Was this really Tuisova's debut? Feels like he's been playing for Toulon for years

he has been playing for Toulon for 4 years now but luck was never on his side when it came to playing for Fiji, he was always "injured" come the test season, i always figured he was being forced by Mourad to not play for his national team and i'm sure he did..good to see him play, i hope he stays for 3 more weeks cause the test window ends on june 30th and french based players are usually forced to go back to their french clubs and fiji's tests against tonga and samoa are on July 8 and 15th . ..

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 22:23

Warpath wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Was this really Tuisova's debut? Feels like he's been playing for Toulon for years

he has been playing for Toulon for 4 years now but luck was never on his side when it came to playing for Fiji, he was always "injured" come the test season, i always figured he was being forced by Mourad to not play for his national team and i'm sure he did..good to see him play, i hope he stays for 3 more weeks cause the test window ends on june 30th and french based players are usually forced to go back to their french clubs and fiji's tests against tonga and samoa are on July 8 and 15th . ..

He must enjoy being home for the best part of a month though. I think given the upcoming games are World Cup qualifiers he'll be allowed to stay on. Poor fella will have next to no rest when he goes back to preseason at Toulon.

Fiji are having great fixtures this past month, Australia, Italy, Scotland, Samoa & Tonga. Realistically it doesn't get much better then that. Gives McGee good time with the players.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 14:13

yeah we need to beat samoa and Tonga to avoid the Pool of death and playing them at their home will be really fucking hard :( if our france based players are forced to leave, we will be farked :(

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Fri, 30 Jun 2017, 07:00

Warpath wrote:

What can Toulon really do if Tuisova wants to stay for Fiji? Any team would want to have Tuisova, Toulon can't afford to lose him. I did see Tuisova post a video on instagram of him in the Fiji camp yesterday, so hopefully that means he'll be there for the PNC. Don't know about the others though, possible the likes of Nakarawa could go back, hence why he played in all 3 games so far.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Mon, 03 Jul 2017, 05:13

yeah but WR has a rule on RWC Qualifiers which forced clubs to release the players, same as the June window rule, hopefully players are not forced to make excuses to leave just cause their clubs are forcing them to return and do nothing really cause the next T14 season starts in late August... Tuisova has signed till May 2019 for Toulon

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby JRugbyPodcast » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 08:31

Hi everyone, if you're interested in hearing more from Fiji's new S&C coach, John Pryor, please listen to the following podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-260271034/3 ... 72017-1451 He talks about his hopes for 2019, and also some of his unique training strategies...

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 23:34

That assistant coach Fiji hired (brumbies defence coach) did not take part in the PNC :(

Postby 4N » Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 13:21

NRL to possibly take first matches outside of Australia & NZ to Fiji.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/st-g ... xj5vr.html

NRL and Super Rugby matches, an NRC team and talk of Super Rugby expansion. Sounds like Fijian fans will have a lot more options going forward.

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Fri, 28 Jul 2017, 03:56

all just talk (rugby union wise), dont' give a shit about NRL games here, they would have to drop the ticket prices to $5 if they want ppl to come watch it.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 16 Aug 2017, 06:56

http://www.fijirugby.com/latest-news/fr ... e-and-kit/
Some info about Fiji's team in Australia's NRC

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 17:19

Argentina's loss today puts Fiji up to an impressive 9th in the world. Argentina become the second Tier1 nation in the word to fall behind a Tier2. Top early to say the gap is closing but this is well deserved for Fiji after beating two Tier1 nations in June.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Sat, 19 Aug 2017, 18:41

Fiji is a Tier Two nations only for old farts.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 20 Aug 2017, 13:20

Argentina's position is artificially deflated because of their stupid policy of relying solely on one professional team for all their players.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 07:30

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Argentina's loss today puts Fiji up to an impressive 9th in the world. Argentina become the second Tier1 nation in the word to fall behind a Tier2. Top early to say the gap is closing but this is well deserved for Fiji after beating two Tier1 nations in June.

Only the 2nd? Italy obviously, but I think Wales were behind Samoa at one point, weren't we? And haven't Scotland dropped briefly behind Samoa and/or Fiji?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 11:03

Well, 2nd currently. Apparently Argentina were briefly behind Japan in 2014 too.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 21:15

Figaro wrote:
Bruce_ma_goose wrote:Argentina's loss today puts Fiji up to an impressive 9th in the world. Argentina become the second Tier1 nation in the word to fall behind a Tier2. Top early to say the gap is closing but this is well deserved for Fiji after beating two Tier1 nations in June.

Only the 2nd? Italy obviously, but I think Wales were behind Samoa at one point, weren't we? And haven't Scotland dropped briefly behind Samoa and/or Fiji?

Yeah there was a time Samoa were up to 8th, so there must have been some other tier 1 nations under them.

Nice to have that 9th ranking, the result of Fiji's good run so far. I read before the test season Mckee was mostly targeting the Samoa and Tonga games and hoping for an upset against Italy, but who would have thought they'd beat Scotland as well. Argentina are in a tougher competition though, so of course they're gonna take losses that puts them down. The rankings at the end of the year will tell the real story. Hopefully Fiji will get their best players for the end of year season and get some good results. The only thing that worries me is clubs holding back the players

Some more info about the "Fijian Drua" taking part in the NRC starting next Saturday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fijian_Drua

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Nati ... ampionship

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Wed, 30 Aug 2017, 06:26

Fiji plays Italy, Ireland and Canada in November, only 3 games cause it really hurts our team that we can never field our best team in our 3rd match in November tours when we actually play a tier 1 team mainly because fucking french clubs force our players to return :/

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Muzzy » Sat, 09 Sep 2017, 22:18

How great was Peceli Nacebe at 10 for the Fiji Drua? Looks like Fiji have another 10 now. I can already see the cheque books coming out with his name on it, just hope he stays in Union and keeps playing 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nm7X-p0Yyw&t=0s

Ben Volavola also had a good game for Harbour, got his first start at fullback, but moved to 10 in the second half when Gatland went off injured

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 10 Sep 2017, 18:14

The Drua look incredibly entertaining and hopefully this project becomes a success, both financially and in terms of developing Fijian talent.

Postby 4N » Sun, 10 Sep 2017, 18:20

Yes, I think a Fijian side is a good addition to any comp because of their exciting style. Spectators love it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Sep 2017, 22:41

Question: the Fijian U20 team that played in Uruguay was the best possible? I can't believe if it was...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Mon, 25 Sep 2017, 04:42

nope they weren't, FRU has a habit of nepotism, most of these players were friends or families of FRU people, FRU refuse to pick players with fijian heritage overseas for the U20 teams thus why its in a decline and will keep declining.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum