Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

New U20 tournament for 6 Nations, Georgia, Romania

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

New U20 tournament for 6 Nations, Georgia, Romania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 14:44

Can you help me please with the translation of this post in English? https://www.facebook.com/GeorgianRugby/ ... =3&theater
I tried with Google translate but like always is really shite. Your help is much appreciated.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Georgia (Lelos)

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 14:56

Bogdan_DC wrote:Can you help me please with the translation of this post in English? https://www.facebook.com/GeorgianRugby/ ... =3&theater
I tried with Google translate but like always is really shite. Your help is much appreciated.

Likely to be this: https://twitter.com/GeorgianRugby/statu ... 5218084864

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:02

If it is from may this is mean that is something else than 6N i guess. Like a trial tournament. Not so big hopes in our youth but a big chance for Georgia i think.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:06

The possibility of Georgia joining the U20 6N was mentioned a while back.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:07

Well, it's great news for Romania, rather than Georgia, considering their struggles in U18 and U20.

Figaro wrote:The possibility of Georgia joining the U20 6N was mentioned a while back.

It was on RFU meeting papers.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:20

Well. i don`t know what more Georgia need to do to be admitted to U20 6N. if one can argue about senior side not having beaten tier 1 teams, the U20 have beaten Italy and Argentina and have run close Ireland, Wales and France(2016) in the last two U20 Worlds.

According to Gocha Svanidze(GRU president) who held a press conference today, Georgia and Romania will participate in the tournament in May 2018, 6N+ Georgia and Romania just before 2018 U20 Rugby World championships. This a direct reward to Georgia for their U20 success. It is a warm up tournament for the Worlds.
Last edited by GeoRugby on Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4N » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:28

Georgia are rewarded for their continued progress, good results and crowds. Romania for what?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:34

4N wrote:Georgia are rewarded for their continued progress, good results and crowds. Romania for what?

Probably for their continuous good results at senior level. Rank 16th in the world and with a good chance to advance in 15th next week, Pershing &Antim Cup Holders and REC Winners. Just sayin'. Why all this hate mate?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:39

Bogdan_DC wrote:
4N wrote:Georgia are rewarded for their continued progress, good results and crowds. Romania for what?

Probably for their continuous good results at senior level. Rank 16th in the world and with a good chance to advance in 15th next week, Pershing &Antim Cup Holders and REC Winners. Just sayin'. Why all this hate mate?

Because this move will obviously help Romania to catch up in spite of your junior struggles. And if you want a non-Georgian POV, I'm obviously jealous, but if there's anybody to blame for our absence or Portugal's one in spite of Iberian decent underage results, it's only our respective unions to be at fault, not Romania.

I'm only worried because if this works in the long run Romania will improve and deny JWRT places to Portugal, Spain, maybe even Germany...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 15:42

Apparently there is only one way to progress in the eyes of the others. Despite having bad results at juniors, Romania was consistent in developing a local pro competition and a good senior side. We don't have the monies of many other unions to split into too many programs but hopefully they'll be able to get this opportunity. I am almost certain Georgia have all the prerequisites to profit from this, it remains to be seen if Romania is able to do this ; there are some changes in juniors handling announced before this news.

As for 4N bitter posts about Romania, he's an well knows hater so don't bother with him.
Last edited by amz on Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 17:40

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Dude-Abides » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 20:59

Good news for both sides of Black Sea :).

Perhaps at this stage Georgia is better prepared, but I am confident this inclusion will help to reinforce Romanian youth Rugby as well.

And I also remain firm believer that strong Romania is only good for us - Georgia. Niceties aside, historically we have only grown facing strong opposition from Romania. So why all this hate, indeed?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 23:49

amz wrote:Apparently there is only one way to progress in the eyes of the others. Despite having bad results at juniors, Romania was consistent in developing a local pro competition and a good senior side. We don't have the monies of many other unions to split into too many programs but hopefully they'll be able to get this opportunity. I am almost certain Georgia have all the prerequisites to profit from this, it remains to be seen if Romania is able to do this ; there are some changes in juniors handling announced before this news.

As for 4N bitter posts about Romania, he's an well knows hater so don't bother with him.

Once the decision has been taken, I hope you perform at your best. But let's be honest, Romania at U19/U20 has played one European final in seven years. And U18s weren't promising this season. A lot must change in just 10 months.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 05:33

Armchair Fan wrote:Once the decision has been taken, I hope you perform at your best. But let's be honest, Romania at U19/U20 has played one European final in seven years. And U18s weren't promising this season. A lot must change in just 10 months.

Granted, our age grade results alone in last years don't justify this, on the other hand, other European teams that performed at age grades failed to show improvements at senior sides despite playing finals. True, FRR kind of neglected this field and let clubs develop their players but probably this will be an incentive to sort this field and invest into it as well. I am not very optimistic, it's short time to sort the team and even if they've made some changes this year it will take a while until we will see the results.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 06:34

This could easily turn in a nightmare for us.But if they will continue this tournament yearly we have a good chance for improving.I just hope they will have patience with us...

This debate juniors vs senior direction in progress is a nonsense. You will always need a holistic approach (like Georgia have).
In the past Romania had lots of talent throw on the window (3th place in Brescia, 5th place without losing a game! being host in Romania, best player of the tournament a Romanian Socol, 7th place beating Argentina, lots of junior tournaments very good in the 90's (i remember keeping ABs 0-0 at half time!). EVERYTHING FOR NOTHING because we had a unprofessional union & a disaster of a championship.And we lose all we build in 50 years of good rugby legacy. So if Romania want some performance in rugby we need to sort it out with juvenile sector, Spain need a serious approach on their senior sides, Russia get rid of their oligarchs union,Portugal escape from their amateur idealism etc.Georgia is the only one in REC who got a clear strategy,all other countries looks like they are looking for somebody help them from the sky, even Georgia for their safety should strengthen their championship to not depend on french moods.The true about rugby is that we don t have many professionals managers in this sport.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 06:45

Bogdan_DC wrote:This debate juniors vs senior direction in progress is a nonsense. You will always need a holistic approach (like Georgia have).

Completely agree but let's face it, nobody in T2 have the means for a holistic approach. Not even Georgia, their club scene was neglected and only recently they decided to try and go for Challenge Cup and this is a major weakness since we saw how much talent we lost in the past with a woeful local championship. Many others are focusing on Sevens because easier funding from governments due to its Olympic status. Not even in T1 there is a holistic approach, Ireland didn't have Sevens for a long time.

However, if this support continues, maybe in few years time we may start to think to a Black Sea Super Liga, should the funding be available. With a constant U20 tournament and proper advertising, maybe some big sponsor will think to fund such competition..because as it looks now, none of the Unions/Clubs from Georgia and Romania have the means to support it and doesn't look to have it even on medium term.

Elsewhere, maybe the Iberians will decide that it is time for a professional competition with clubs from Portugal and Spain.

I don't think FRR strategy to go for a Pro competition neglecting other sectors was necesarily bad. It worked before 1989 when the clubs provided the players and they only did selection work. The level obviously raised this years. The wins in Nations Cup with mostly local based teams were without naturalised players or with a very small amount who didn't changed the structure of team and the fact it was a local product probably added some weight to this decision.

However, I do think that neglecting age grades teams went to far and they were too complacent and this need to be adressed immediately and solutions are there..
Last edited by amz on Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 07:07

amz wrote:Completely agree but let's face it, nobody in T2 have the means for a holistic approach.

Japan is the closest to do this. Next in line is Georgia. Fiji is better than both but soon will come a time when native talent will not be enough.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 07:24

Didn't we defeat an Scotland U19 side 1-2 years ago?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 07:30

Is this to replace the current U20 Six Nations that takes place in February at the same time as the 6N, or is it an additional competition?

That's a lot of U20 games a year for the 6N if it's an additional competition - (5x 6N, 7x6N+2, 5xJWC = 17 U20 games. That's practically a whole season with the international sides - the clubs are not going to like that.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 07:34

Looks like something additional to prepare the World Cup U20.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 07:35

Armchair Fan wrote:Image

While it is good that it happens again, we had exactly this before. What happens when lets say France win it, Georgia finishes 2nd, Portugal 6th and Scotland and Ireland 7th and 8th. Will Georgia and Portugal still have to play for relegation. I mean this could never ever happen, right? 8-)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 08:13

RugbyLiebe wrote:While it is good that it happens again, we had exactly this before. What happens when lets say France win it, Georgia finishes 2nd, Portugal 6th and Scotland and Ireland 7th and 8th. Will Georgia and Portugal still have to play for relegation. I mean this could never ever happen, right? 8-)

And because of that we lose against them with big margins on youth levels, to not make them angry:).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 08:57

Bogdan_DC wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:While it is good that it happens again, we had exactly this before. What happens when lets say France win it, Georgia finishes 2nd, Portugal 6th and Scotland and Ireland 7th and 8th. Will Georgia and Portugal still have to play for relegation. I mean this could never ever happen, right? 8-)

And because of that we lose against them with big margins on youth levels, to not make them angry:).

A strategy we Germans also do apply with great success :D Only those bloody Georgians and even those Portuguese have to start trouble. Shame on them. :lol:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 09:46

RugbyLiebe wrote:those bloody Georgians

This guy was "Bloody Georgian" and i dont think Germans should play with that title too easy.

8-) 8-) :D :D

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 09:58

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:those bloody Georgians

This guy was "Bloody Georgian" and i dont think Germans should play with that title too easy.

8-) 8-) :D :D

You mean Austrians. ;)

Next

Return to Rugby Forum