Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017-18 Continental Shield

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 13 Sep 2017, 11:12

STMKY wrote:I will not say who would have taken a place in the 6 Nations, if not for the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Nobody or Italy seems to be the correct answer tbh. :lol:
Never ever would they have admitted a communist country like Romania was.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 14 Sep 2017, 11:30

RugbyLiebe wrote:
STMKY wrote:I will not say who would have taken a place in the 6 Nations, if not for the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Nobody or Italy seems to be the correct answer tbh. :lol:
Never ever would they have admitted a communist country like Romania was.

I wonder how an ex-Soviet XV would do today. Basically Georgia with a couple of Russian backs and Dimitri Arhip?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 22:09

Just 23 days to the supposed start of the competition and still there's not a calendar.
I re-checked the websites of the eight clubs and that of Epcr but without finding any clue

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 10:46

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 11:55

So Batumi plays two games in Italy and no Eccellenza club visits Georgia. I understand why FLIDTA RISXVA sais it was unbalanced, but at least two Italian teams will play in Timisoara.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 11:55

Pool A
Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo (Italy)
Timisoara Saracens (Romania)
Rugby Viadana (Italy)
Heidelberger Ruderklub (Germany)

Pool B
RC Batumi (Georgia)
Pataro Rugby Calvisano (Italy)
Centro Desportivo Universitario de Lisboa - CDUL (Portugal)
Rugby Petrarca (Italy)

Pool fixtures

Saturday 14 October 2017
Timisoara Saracens v Rugby Petrarca, Dan Paltinisanu Stadium (15.00)
Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo v RC Batumi, Stadio Mario Battaglini (15.00)
Heidelberger RK v Pataro Rugby Calvisano, Sportzentrum Süd (15.00)
Rugby Viadana v CDUL, Stadio Pier Luigi Zaffanella (15.00)

Saturday 21 October 2017
Pataro Rugby Calvisano v Rugby Viadana, Pata Stadium (15.00)
Rugby Petrarca v Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo, Stadio Plebiscito (15.00)
RC Batumi v Heidelberger RK, Rugby Arena (15.00)
CDUL v Timisoara Saracens, Estadio Universitario de Lisboa (15.00)

Saturday 9 December 2017
Heidelberger RK v Rugby Petrarca, Sportzentrum Süd (14.30)
Timisoara Saracens v Pataro Rugby Calvisano, Dan Paltinisanu Stadium (15.00)
Rugby Viadana v RC Batumi, Stadio Pier Luigi Zaffanella (15.00)
Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo v CDUL, Stadio Mario Battaglini (15.00)

Saturday 16 December 2017
Pataro Rugby Calvisano v Femi-CZ Rugby Rovigo, Pata Stadium (15.00)
CDUL v Heidelberger RK, Estadio Universitario de Lisboa (15.00)
RC Batumi v Timisoara Saracens, Rugby Arena (15.00)
Rugby Petrarca v Rugby Viadana, Impianti Sportivi Memo Geremia (15.00)

I'm a bit slow: where the italian clubs have been favorited in this calendar?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 11:57

Armchair Fan wrote:So Batumi plays two games in Italy and no Eccellenza club visits Georgia. I understand why FLIDTA RISXVA sais it was unbalanced, but at least two Italian teams will play in Timisoara.

If two italian teams host Batumi and two italian teams visit Timisoara it is not "at least...": it is simply a not-unbalanced calendar

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:00

It's unbalanced from a Georgian POV... Batumi basically has only one easy game, Heidelberg at home. Then they'll face arguably the strongest team at home, Timisoara, and have two trips to Italy.

And I'm sure you'll agree that a transfer to Timisoara is easier and cheaper to any team than a trip to Batumi, which is probably a logistical nightmare.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:07

Armchair Fan wrote:It's unbalanced from a Georgian POV... Batumi basically has only one easy game, Heidelberg at home. Then they'll face arguably the strongest team at home, Timisoara, and have two trips to Italy.

And I'm sure you'll agree that a transfer to Timisoara is easier and cheaper to any team than a trip to Batumi, which is probably a logistical nightmare.

Batumi has perfectly active international aiport, is 150km awai from Kutaisi Airport and 370km away from Tbilisi Airport. Also i can end up in Batumi from Tbilisi in 4 hours due to also perfectly active Highway.

Also Batumi has port and lots of cruise ships are arriving from Mediterranean and Black seas.

Also GRU has own buses which can drive from Tbilisi to Batumi in 5 hours.

Also there is local air companies flying from Tbilisi to Batumi in 1 hours.

Also there is Trains from Tbilisi to Batumi - 4 hours

It is 21st century! No need to ride a horse from Rome to Batumi and travel few month. Its enough to arrive in airport and politely ask for Ticket in Georgia.

There is lots of people taking this trip, 5 million as of 2017.
Last edited by RugbyPUBtbilisi on Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:11

Hey, I didn't meant to be critical. I know Georgia is a modern country, but going to Batumi (which I know has an international airport, I watched 'Hostages' movie pretty recently) will always be harder for an Italian or German or Portuguese team than going to Romania for a number of reasons.

Having international flights isn't the single issue. Valladolid has an international airport too and high-speed train connection to Madrid, but Italian clubs usually take a flight to Madrid and then take a bus for money-saving reasons.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:19

I think the problem is that there are very few flights to Tbilisi/Batumi from other European airports and most travelers have to pick 2 flights to make it here. Add travel from Tbilisi to Batumi.

Few examples of trip from vola website to Batumi:

From Milano trough Istanbul with a 5 hours stop in Turkey makes it 10 hours trip.

From Timisoara airport in 15th December it's a 31 hours trip (trough Munich and Moscow) to Batumi and return Sunday with a 33 hours trip (EUR 2703 for one person).

From Bucharest (after a trip from Timisoara, not counting it) would be 6 hours going trip and 11 hours return trip, trough Istanbul (add 6-7 hours Bucharest - Timisoara, depending on what you pick, train, bus, plane if available )

Would probably make sense to get a charter...
Last edited by amz on Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 12:33

Today 12PM-12AM:

(DOH) Doha

12:20 AM
Landed
On-time

(SAW) Istanbul

1:45 AM
Landed
Delayed

(SVO) Moscow

2:00 AM
Landed
On-time

(IST) Istanbul

2:20 AM
Landed

(IST) Istanbul

2:20 AM
Landed

(AYT) Antalya

2:30 AM
Landed
On-time

(MSQ) Minsk

2:50 AM
Landed
On-time

(SAW) Istanbul

3:20 AM
Landed
On-time

(RIX) Riga

3:25 AM
Landed
On-time

(RIX) Riga

Landed
On-time

(RIX) Riga
(A9) Georgian Airways
Landed
On-time

(MUC) Munich

3:30 AM
Landed
On-time

(MUC) Munich

3:30 AM
Landed
On-time

(IST) Istanbul

3:35 AM
Landed
On-time

(IST) Istanbul

3:35 AM
Landed
On-time

(WAW) Warsaw

4:05 AM
Landed
Delayed

(ATH) Athens

4:15 AM
Landed
On-time

(IST) Istanbul

4:30 AM
Landed
On-time

(DXB) Dubai

5:00 AM
Landed
On-time

(LGW) London
(A9) Georgian Airways
6:35 AM
Landed
On-time

(IST) Istanbul

8:30 AM
Landed
Delayed

(DXB) Dubai

9:00 AM
Landed
On-time

(GYD) Baku

9:20 AM
Scheduled

(ALA) Almaty
(KC) Air Astana
10:40 AM
Landed

(SVO) Moscow

12:00 PM
Landed
On-time

(LED) Saint Petersburg
(U6) Ural Airlines
12:05 PM
Landed
On-time

Anyways Batumi Rugby Club (RC Batumi) is rugby club from Batumi, who has own stadium IN Batumi, where other clubs from Georgian Didi10 arrive and play without logistical nightmare.

And RC Batumi has its owners and Director, who will organize all the matches in Continental shield because its their job.
RC Batumi is not best team in Georgia but they won Didi10 in 2016. Will be interesting matches and lets leave logistical problems for Club management.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 13:07

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:Flights Spam

From that list, none of the teams that play in Continental Cup is close of the respective airports. Even Heidelberg have a pretty long trip to Munchen by bus.

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:Anyways Batumi Rugby Club (RC Batumi) is rugby club from Batumi, who has own stadium IN Batumi, where other clubs from Georgian Didi10 arrive and play without logistical nightmare.

And RC Batumi has its owners and Director, who will organize all the matches in Continental shield because its their job.
RC Batumi is not best team in Georgia but they won Didi10 in 2016. Will be interesting matches and lets leave logistical problems for Club management.

Calm your tits. Nobody comment over the trips within Georgia, the issue is to get there, especially to Batumi. Take a look at connections of flights and see what it takes it to make it there from various corners of Europe, than comment. Also take a look at costs.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 13:15

Will be interesting to watch where RC Batumi stands compared to other European teams.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 18:34

Canalina wrote:They're very ridiculous. A true, efficacious Continental Shield should have at least 64 teams, 12 of them Russia, six from Moldova and at least two from South America, to conquer the worldwide market. A round robin of 63 games, home and away, could be fine; one or two matches at each round should be played at Twickenham or Stade de France, to attract more interest. All the games on saturday's evening prime time, this is obvious. If only the EPCR organizers weren't so old, selfish people! :x
Fortunately the russian federation is organizing for this season a wonderful parallel european tournament with thirty-two teams, many italian clubs invited. It's a surprise, russian federation worked hard for this and will publish the official communicate in the next few hours

:lol: :lol:

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 20:36

amz wrote:Flights Spam

From that list, none of the teams that play in Continental Cup is close of the respective airports. Even Heidelberg have a pretty long trip to Munchen by bus.

Its no problem for Romanians to travel 5 hours by bus. U will get use to. Batumi is playing in Continental shield, more and more Georgian team will take part in Continental shield. AIA is next and may be other team will also be added.
I believe Batumi will perform pretty well.

Batumi is easy place to travel, normal european team will have finances to take flight to Batumi airport. Will be good matches to watch and i will enjoy watching continental shield at Batumi Stadium.

Mod: swearing removed and banned for a couple of weeks

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 04:32

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:

Go fuck urself. Its no problem for Romanians to travel 5 hours by bus. U will get use to. Batumi is playing in Continental shield, more and more Georgian team will take part in Continental shield. AIA is next and may be other team will also be added.

Batumi is easy place to travel, normal european team will have finances to take flight to Batumi airport. Will be good matches to watch and i will enjoy watching continental shield at Batumi Stadium.

You have to learn to read pal. Nobody said team won't travel, only said it is a logistical nightmare which it is because it is comparable with going to Siberia. As for finances, I do think you need some math lessons as well, e.g. some Spanish clubs didn't wanted to participate because of budget issue. Also you missed some figures about how time is spent with flights. Some history classes to, this sounds Soviet style optimism ("more and more Georgian team will take part in Continental shield.") and we all know how they ended up. 8-)

Postby 4N » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 13:00

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:

Its no problem for Romanians to travel 5 hours by bus. U will get use to. Batumi is playing in Continental shield, more and more Georgian team will take part in Continental shield. AIA is next and may be other team will also be added.

Mod: swearing removed and banned for a couple of weeks

Harsh banning. I don't support it.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 14:11

Some history classes to, this sounds Soviet style optimism ("more and more Georgian team will take part in Continental shield.") and we all know how they ended up

How did they end up? losing 39-46 on aggregate to a far more experienced team at that level and played very well actually in their first try. I guess we all know that. Also we all know about Timisoara Saracens performances (ouch) as well as Russian teams performances. And what is the "Soviet style optimism and how does it differ from Romanian style? I am asking because I thought optimism was a universal thing.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 15:07

4N wrote:Harsh banning. I don't support it.

Such behavior was tolerated too long here.

GeoRugby wrote:
Some history classes to, this sounds Soviet style optimism ("more and more Georgian team will take part in Continental shield.") and we all know how they ended up

How did they end up? losing 39-46 on aggregate to a far more experienced team at that level and played very well actually in their first try. I guess we all know that. Also we all know about Timisoara Saracens performances (ouch) as well as Russian teams performances. And what is the "Soviet style optimism and how does it differ from Romanian style? I am asking because I thought optimism was a universal thing.

It's solely about "more and more teams" when we all know the player's pool is limited and not only in Georgia or Romania but even in more developed countries...sounds like a old school Soviet propaganda. Such way was with Soviets too, we will make more goods than americans, we will make the fastest plane etc etc.

I don't get the rest of your post, I didn't questioned Russian's team win or something else

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 15:38

It's solely about "more and more teams" when we all know the player's pool is limited and not only in Georgia or Romania but even in more developed countries...sounds like a old school Soviet propaganda. Such way was with Soviets too, we will make more goods than americans, we will make the fastest plane etc etc.

Well. If that makes sense to you, fine. To me it is a little strange to bring up Soviet propaganda while responding to a users post.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 07:13

amz wrote:
4N wrote:Harsh banning. I don't support it.

Such behavior was tolerated too long here.

Agreed, we have learnt from past posters who stunk up this forum and we have to stamp out any return to that.

On the Cup. I think that the fact we have this is a start but what is worrying me is that it will stagnate. It needs to be seen as a good start and built on. The last couple of years have worried me as nothing significant has happened.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 07:55

Canalina wrote:They're very ridiculous. A true, efficacious Continental Shield should have at least 64 teams, 12 of them Russia, six from Moldova and at least two from South America, to conquer the worldwide market. A round robin of 63 games, home and away, could be fine; one or two matches at each round should be played at Twickenham or Stade de France, to attract more interest. All the games on saturday's evening prime time, this is obvious. If only the EPCR organizers weren't so old, selfish people! :x
Fortunately the russian federation is organizing for this season a wonderful parallel european tournament with thirty-two teams, many italian clubs invited. It's a surprise, russian federation worked hard for this and will publish the official communicate in the next few hours

On the internet to defeat the russian teams is much easier than on the field!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 08:02

GeoRugby wrote:

Well. If that makes sense to you, fine. To me it is a little strange to bring up Soviet propaganda while responding to a users post.

Funny)) When there are no russians you start fighting among themselyes))

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 08:03

Agree with Sables4eva. The growth of this cup seems very slow. A name and a proper final (good move) appear to be the only changes in the last years, but they came from the organizers and not from the base of the fans. At least here in Italy this cup is still perceived as a minor competition, more important than the national cup but less important than the national championship; and the semi-clandestine release of the calendar, just three weeks before the start, suggests that the feeling is more or less the same in the rest of Europe.
I suppose that the growth must come from we the fans; the cup is there, matches are there, just the participation of the public may boost them

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum