Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017-18 Continental Shield

Posts: 334
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 14 May 2018, 16:29

STMKY wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
http://www.5-jahres-wertung.de/APD/Online/5JW.php
I loved this page. Not something to show around at parties, but a simple and great overview of the 5-year-ranking.
The flaw of your cumulated ranking is that, you can't really tell the years. I remember it and still think it is a great overview to begin with.

We do not need to make the system too complicated. Just count the points for the last 5 seasons. This will really reflect the level of teams. We need two ratings: the rating of the clubs and the rating of the championships.


It doesn't reflect the strength of performances in the Challenge cup though, which is arguably the most important bit of it. I've had a go at creating a system that reflects the strength of the Russians.

Posts: 706
Joined: Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 16:02
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby STMKY » Mon, 14 May 2018, 16:45

Blurandski wrote:
It doesn't reflect the strength of performances in the Challenge cup though, which is arguably the most important bit of it. I've had a go at creating a system that reflects the strength of the Russians.

The Challenge Cup is still another tournament. Although if you consider the Continental Shield of the Challenge Cup qualifications, then I agree. But it is necessary that the EPCR approved this form officially.

Posts: 334
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 14 May 2018, 17:04

STMKY wrote:
Blurandski wrote:
It doesn't reflect the strength of performances in the Challenge cup though, which is arguably the most important bit of it. I've had a go at creating a system that reflects the strength of the Russians.

The Challenge Cup is still another tournament. Although if you consider the Continental Shield of the Challenge Cup qualifications, then I agree. But it is necessary that the EPCR approved this form officially.


True, it would be quite nice if the EPCR implemented something like this for all of European club rugby, for if you left enough points for the Champions cup the top 3 would rarely be threatened.

Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 28 May 2018, 11:16

Rumour about Heidelberger RK not allowed to take part in next year's challenge cup, due to Wild owning Stade Francais.
If somebody has a subscription with l'equipe please post the whole article.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/He ... pcr/905196

Without being able to read everything, I think that there might be a mistake. The HRK isn't owned by Wild at all. It is a club under German law owned by all of their members.
Wild employs the players (this setup is what made the German civil war so complicated, if he would own the club, the German Rugby Union would have simply disqualified the HRK for not allowing players to play for the national team. But a private employer can always say no).

In my eyes this could kill all tries to install pro-rugby in Germany for some time, if Heidelberg really can't take part. Imho very bad for German rugby.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 401
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Raven » Mon, 28 May 2018, 11:25

RugbyLiebe wrote:Rumour about Heidelberger RK not allowed to take part in next year's challenge cup, due to Wild owning Stade Francais.
If somebody has a subscription with l'equipe please post the whole article.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/He ... pcr/905196

Without being able to read everything, I think that there might be a mistake. The HRK isn't owned by Wild at all. It is a club under German law owned by all of their members.
Wild employs the players (this setup is what made the German civil war so complicated, if he would own the club, the German Rugby Union would have simply disqualified the HRK for not allowing players to play for the national team. But a private employer can always say no).

In my eyes this could kill all tries to install pro-rugby in Germany for some time, if Heidelberg really can't take part. Imho very bad for German rugby.


I call BS.

As you said, Wild is not a shareholder, nor the owner of HRK. Worse case scenario I can see is players that get Pro Contracts not being able to play, or players wanting to be released of their Wild Contracts to play at that stage of rugby. How could HRK then face the traveling costs, etc? one could turn eyes to the DRV and/or their club members. If the DRV can´t help at all, then it would be down to the club to decide, help out, "chip in"... but I don´t see it being an issue they must look into that much.

Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 28 May 2018, 12:09

Raven wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Rumour about Heidelberger RK not allowed to take part in next year's challenge cup, due to Wild owning Stade Francais.
If somebody has a subscription with l'equipe please post the whole article.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/He ... pcr/905196

Without being able to read everything, I think that there might be a mistake. The HRK isn't owned by Wild at all. It is a club under German law owned by all of their members.
Wild employs the players (this setup is what made the German civil war so complicated, if he would own the club, the German Rugby Union would have simply disqualified the HRK for not allowing players to play for the national team. But a private employer can always say no).

In my eyes this could kill all tries to install pro-rugby in Germany for some time, if Heidelberg really can't take part. Imho very bad for German rugby.


I call BS.

As you said, Wild is not a shareholder, nor the owner of HRK. Worse case scenario I can see is players that get Pro Contracts not being able to play, or players wanting to be released of their Wild Contracts to play at that stage of rugby. How could HRK then face the traveling costs, etc? one could turn eyes to the DRV and/or their club members. If the DRV can´t help at all, then it would be down to the club to decide, help out, "chip in"... but I don´t see it being an issue they must look into that much.


It is especially bullshit, because you can easily avoid everything. The HRK is indeed an independent club. They wouldn't play there without Wild, but they are an independent club under German law. The GfR is also not Wild. It is an independent Ltd. (or better a German equivalent). The WRA is a foundation.
Don't know about the Stade Francais owner construction, but I'll bet that Wild isn't the owner there as well and I'll bet even more that the owning company is not WRA/GfR.
It is simply non of ECPR business where the semi-pro players of the HRK get their money from. What if one players works for Coca Cola (which actually bought Wild's company) and then plays against a team sponsored by Coca Cola? What if somebody works for Allianz? No games against Sarazens allowed?

I've stated before that the set-up of the WRA has its flaws (in the civil war discussion, where some said I was a DRV-troll for pointing this out), but a disqualification of a qualified team from a brand new market, is the most stupid thing you can do.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Tue, 29 May 2018, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Pushkin

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Pushkin » Mon, 28 May 2018, 12:59

Welcome to the new pro league!

This is already becoming a tradition. Georgia, Russia, Germany ... When new countries approach the elite of the 6N, then immediately begins not sport things. Guys, we need to make a strong pro league with Heidelberg, Russian, Georgian, Romanian and Italian clubs, which will compete with the Top 14, Celtic League and England League.

Posts: 283
Joined: Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 10:24
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby DragonMike » Mon, 28 May 2018, 13:58

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Raven wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Rumour about Heidelberger RK not allowed to take part in next year's challenge cup, due to Wild owning Stade Francais.
If somebody has a subscription with l'equipe please post the whole article.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/He ... pcr/905196

Without being able to read everything, I think that there might be a mistake. The HRK isn't owned by Wild at all. It is a club under German law owned by all of their members.
Wild employs the players (this setup is what made the German civil war so complicated, if he would own the club, the German Rugby Union would have simply disqualified the HRK for not allowing players to play for the national team. But a private employer can always say no).

In my eyes this could kill all tries to install pro-rugby in Germany for some time, if Heidelberg really can't take part. Imho very bad for German rugby.


I call BS.

As you said, Wild is not a shareholder, nor the owner of HRK. Worse case scenario I can see is players that get Pro Contracts not being able to play, or players wanting to be released of their Wild Contracts to play at that stage of rugby. How could HRK then face the traveling costs, etc? one could turn eyes to the DRV and/or their club members. If the DRV can´t help at all, then it would be down to the club to decide, help out, "chip in"... but I don´t see it being an issue they must look into that much.


It is especially bullshit, because you can easily avoid everything. The HRK is indeed an independent club. They wouldn't play there without Wild, but they are an independent club under German law. The GfR is also not Wild. It is an independent Ltd. (or better a German equivalent). The WRA is a foundation.
Don't know about the Stade Francais owner construction, but I'll bet that Wild isn't the owner there as well and I'll bet even more that the owning company is not WRA/GfR.
It is simply non of ECPR business were the semi-pro players of the HRK get their money from. What if one players works for Coca Cola (which actually bought Wild's company) and then plays against a team sponsored by Coca Cola? What if somebody works for Allianz? No games against Sarazens allowed?

I've stated before that the set-up of the WRA has its flaws (in the civil war discussion, where some said I was a DRV-troll for pointing this out), but a disqualification of a qualified team from a brand new market, is the most stupid thing you can do.


I think that is too simple to take a purely paper based approach, most legal cases/questions would look at substantive control, and if he employs the coach, the players, sponsors the club and has built most of their facilities, then he is the substantive owner.

Whether it is relevant is another matter. Stade Francais wont throw any games for HRK, and HRK are going to be happy to get any points whatsoever.

Posts: 183
Joined: Wed, 19 Nov 2014, 10:11
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby CM » Mon, 28 May 2018, 18:10

I didn't expect that, but to be honest it makes sense. Wild controls the HRK players, no matter how, and he owns a possible opponent.

I thought the technicalities of the HRK club and the WRA foundation and the GFR limited would be enough. It was enough for UEFA (Salzburg, leipzig), but let's see what epcr says.

Posts: 972
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 28 May 2018, 18:21

Ok, They can choose at least? Maybe Wild wants HRK in CC.From what I know SF is in a huge transformation. The all thing sounds bad, earning something on the field doesn’t worth shit these days...

Posts: 2361
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby amz » Tue, 29 May 2018, 06:39

Well, if at Iordachescu was perception of bias before the match started, why wouldn't be here? I find it legit :D Although I hope he'll pull out Stade Francais if it is a matter of choice


Raven wrote:
I call BS.

As you said, Wild is not a shareholder, nor the owner of HRK. Worse case scenario I can see is players that get Pro Contracts not being able to play, or players wanting to be released of their Wild Contracts to play at that stage of rugby. How could HRK then face the traveling costs, etc? one could turn eyes to the DRV and/or their club members. If the DRV can´t help at all, then it would be down to the club to decide, help out, "chip in"... but I don´t see it being an issue they must look into that much.


I suspect the manual refers to stakeholders, not owners in the strict sense of word.

Posts: 128
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 09:57

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby armchair_expert » Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:07

Le verre à moitié Wild
Le club allemand d’Heidelberg, qui entretient des liens étroits avec le président du Stade Français, pourrait être privé de Challenge européen par l'EPCR afin d'éviter un éventuel conflit d’intérêts avec le club parisien.
PHILIPPE KALLENBRUNN
Pour la première fois depuis la création de la compétition, un club allemand s’est qualifié pour la Challenge Cup cette saison. En éliminant les Roumains de Timi-soara Saracens lors d’un match de barrages aller-retour disputé les31 marset21 avril, Heidelberg a en effet décroché à la régulière son billet pour la prochaine édition de la « petite » Coupe d’Europe. Le 12 mai, à Bilbao, ilavait ensuite été battu en finale de la Continental Shield par les Russes d'Eniseï-STM (24-20), eux mêmes déjà qualifiés. Cette nouveauté était de nature à enthousiasmer l'EPCR, qui s'emploie à ouvrir la porte de ses épreuves à des clubs issus de territoires où le rugby n’a pas pignon sur rue. Mais, selon nos informations, l’organisateur des
Coupes d’Europe interdirait finalement au club allemand de prendre part à la Challenge Cup. Ily serait remplacé par Timisoara. L’information devrait être confirmée dans les tout prochains jours.
La raison de cet empêchement? Un problème d’éthique soulevé pari'EPCR, lié à l’éventualité d’un conflit d’intérêts avec le Stade Français, lui-même engagé dans cette compétition la saison prochaine. Propriétaire du club parisien, via une holding qui détient 99 % de ses parts, Hans-Pe-ter Wild possède aussi des liens très étroits avec Heidelberg, dont il n'est pas actionnaire mais membre honoraire. L’instance européenne souhaiterait se prémunir de l’apparition d’un conflit d’intérêts, non seulement dans l’hypothèse où les deux clubs auraient à s'affronter en Challenge européen, mais également, si ce scénario ne se présentait pas à l’issue du tirage au sort des poules prévu le 20 juin, dans le cas où le résultat de l’une des deux équipes aurait une influence sur celui de l’autre.
Des joueurs d'Heidelberg salariés dans une société détenue par Wild
En 2007, le Dr Wild a donné naissance à la Wild Rugby Academy (WRA), une fondation basée à Heidelberg, pour promouvoir le rugby allemand. Lannée dernière, WRA est devenue propriétaire de la compagnie GFR (Gesellschaftzur Forderung des RugbySports], détenue à 100 % par Wild et dont l’un des cadres dirigeants est Robert Mohr, le directeur sportif du Stade Français. Lobjet de cette société est de favoriser le développement
Hans-Peter Wild est président du Stade Français depuis mai 2017.
d'un rugby semi-professionnel en Allemagne. À ce titre, GFR emploie une quarantaine de personnes, dont la plupart sont des entraîneurs et des joueurs de rugby. Or, d'après nos sources, une quinzaine de rugbymen salariés par GFR figurent dans l'effectif du club de Heidelberg. En outre, le Stade Français et Heidelberg partagent le même sponsor, Capri Sun, appartenant aussi au Dr Wild.
Cette affaire, quoique différente, rappelle celle qui avait empêché Altrad Participations d'entrer au capital du club anglais de Gloucester. En 2017, la société du président du MHR souhaitait s'implanter chez les Cherry and White, notamment pour accroître sa notoriété outre-Manche. En dépit du soutien de la FFR et de Bernard Laporte en personne, qui s'était déplacé au siège de l'EPCR à Neuchâtel le U février 2017 pour défendre la cause du patron de Montpellier, l'opération n'avait pu être conclue, notamment en raison de l'opposition ferme des ligues anglaise et française.


looks strange
If they are so concerned about a potential conflict of interests, then they should not have allowed HRK to participate in the qualifying competiton in the first place.
If there is no other option but to exclude someone then why not exclude Stade Francais?
And IRFU owns 4 teams in EPCR competitions and employs referees who ref competitor teams but it's completely fine, no potential conflict of interests here.

Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:45

armchair_expert wrote:And IRFU owns 4 teams in EPCR competitions and employs referees who ref competitor teams but it's completely fine, no potential conflict of interests here.


This is the exact point. Where is the difference? Different country? Ah wait, the IRFU has teams in two different neighbouring countries as well.
This could fire back massively. Hopefully Wild doesn't accept something like this. Prepare for a law suit, which will tear this apart.
Lets see what a Swiss court says about not allowing a Swiss citizen (Wild became one in 2014) to have a team in France and a team in Germany (I still don't see any legal evidence to even claim that the German team is owned by Wild anyway) but an Irish stakeholder to own 3 teams in Ireland and one in Great Britain.

Is this the "every single rugby administration makes a joke of itself"-year?
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Tue, 29 May 2018, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 20:19
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby JamesWales » Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:50

Surely there is little to this story, or else Heidelberg would not have been permitted to enter the European Shield in the first place?

That said, the law does need clarifying on this matter, and the principle of not having conflicts of interest in terms of ownership is a very valid one.

Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:52

urait une influence sur celui de l’autre.
Des joueurs d'Heidelberg salariés dans une société détenue par Wild
En 2007, le Dr Wild a donné naissance à la Wild Rugby Academy (WRA), une fondation basée à Heidelberg, pour promouvoir le rugby allemand. Lannée dernière, WRA est devenue propriétaire de la compagnie GFR (Gesellschaftzur Forderung des RugbySports], détenue à 100 % par Wild et dont l’un des cadres dirigeants est Robert Mohr, le directeur sportif du Stade Français. Lobjet de cette société est de favoriser le développement
Hans-Peter Wild est président du Stade Français depuis mai 2017.
d'un rugby semi-professionnel en Allemagne. À ce titre, GFR emploie une quarantaine de personnes, dont la plupart sont des entraîneurs et des joueurs de rugby. Or, d'après nos sources, une quinzaine de rugbymen salariés par GFR figurent dans l'effectif du club de Heidelberg. En outre, le Stade Français et Heidelberg partagent le même sponsor, Capri Sun, appartenant aussi au Dr Wild.
.


Thanks for the full article, AF.
What they don't understand is that the players while playing for the HRK are fully amateur. This is if McDonalds employed 20 players and pays their wages. McDonald's would still not own the club. Or if a company employs a player, the company is still not a stakeholder in the club. If the company decides to let the player play mostly rugby, that is their thing.
If you follow the logic from the article, the German Bundeswehr owns the 7s side as around 10 players are employed by the military to play rugby.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:12

Diego Merino, VRAC coach, on Continental Shield next season:
"Due to scheduling conflicts it would have been almost impossible. If we had achieved a good result in Europe, we would have had to play games that didn't fit in the schedule in any possible way. Impossible. Not even playing our games during international test windows we would have been able to fit them in the schedule. What would that have meant? Fifteen more days? Three weeks? A month more? And without any rest.

If they want us to play in Europe everybody will have to make the effort to enable us to do so. If not, impossible. It's proven. Too much risk, little reward and no safety net.

Now it's up to club managers. This is my opinion. If managers accept and requirements change from this season, then go on. We already played it once, we're glad to have enjoyed that experience and I believe it was very positive."

Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Thomas » Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:24

Armchair Fan wrote:Diego Merino, VRAC coach, on Continental Shield next season:
"Due to scheduling conflicts it would have been almost impossible. If we had achieved a good result in Europe, we would have had to play games that didn't fit in the schedule in any possible way. Impossible. Not even playing our games during international test windows we would have been able to fit them in the schedule. What would that have meant? Fifteen more days? Three weeks? A month more? And without any rest.

If they want us to play in Europe everybody will have to make the effort to enable us to do so. If not, impossible. It's proven. Too much risk, little reward and no safety net.

Now it's up to club managers. This is my opinion. If managers accept and requirements change from this season, then go on. We already played it once, we're glad to have enjoyed that experience and I believe it was very positive."


Proper translation : "We can't be bothered and is everyone else's responsibility" in other words a cop out, all other leagues and clubs suffer the same why should VRAC be special?

*yes I was referring to his comments being about FER
Last edited by Thomas on Tue, 29 May 2018, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 334
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:57

For what it's worth I believe that the Montpellier owner couldn't buy Gloucester due to conflict of interest.

Posts: 972
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 29 May 2018, 10:58

Armchair Fan wrote:Diego Merino, VRAC coach, on Continental Shield next season:
"Due to scheduling conflicts it would have been almost impossible. If we had achieved a good result in Europe, we would have had to play games that didn't fit in the schedule in any possible way. Impossible. Not even playing our games during international test windows we would have been able to fit them in the schedule. What would that have meant? Fifteen more days? Three weeks? A month more? And without any rest.

If they want us to play in Europe everybody will have to make the effort to enable us to do so. If not, impossible. It's proven. Too much risk, little reward and no safety net.

Now it's up to club managers. This is my opinion. If managers accept and requirements change from this season, then go on. We already played it once, we're glad to have enjoyed that experience and I believe it was very positive."

Ok, i start sharing your point of view about Valladolid guys after this interview :)).

Posts: 2935
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 29 May 2018, 11:12

Yeah... Anyway when he asks for "efforts" he's talking about other Spanish clubs and FER, not EPCR or foreign rivals. But the truth is they will have at the very least 25-27 games between September and April (34 weekends) already without Shield. And they prefer to prioritise an 'easy' title like Supercup or Copa Ibérica, easily sellable to sponsors, than probable defeats against 'unknown' European rivals.

Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 29 May 2018, 11:15

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Raven wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Rumour about Heidelberger RK not allowed to take part in next year's challenge cup, due to Wild owning Stade Francais.
If somebody has a subscription with l'equipe please post the whole article.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/He ... pcr/905196

Without being able to read everything, I think that there might be a mistake. The HRK isn't owned by Wild at all. It is a club under German law owned by all of their members.
Wild employs the players (this setup is what made the German civil war so complicated, if he would own the club, the German Rugby Union would have simply disqualified the HRK for not allowing players to play for the national team. But a private employer can always say no).

In my eyes this could kill all tries to install pro-rugby in Germany for some time, if Heidelberg really can't take part. Imho very bad for German rugby.


I call BS.

As you said, Wild is not a shareholder, nor the owner of HRK. Worse case scenario I can see is players that get Pro Contracts not being able to play, or players wanting to be released of their Wild Contracts to play at that stage of rugby. How could HRK then face the traveling costs, etc? one could turn eyes to the DRV and/or their club members. If the DRV can´t help at all, then it would be down to the club to decide, help out, "chip in"... but I don´t see it being an issue they must look into that much.


It is especially bullshit, because you can easily avoid everything. The HRK is indeed an independent club. They wouldn't play there without Wild, but they are an independent club under German law. The GfR is also not Wild. It is an independent Ltd. (or better a German equivalent). The WRA is a foundation.
Don't know about the Stade Francais owner construction, but I'll bet that Wild isn't the owner there as well and I'll bet even more that the owning company is not WRA/GfR.
It is simply non of ECPR business where the semi-pro players of the HRK get their money from. What if one players works for Coca Cola (which actually bought Wild's company) and then plays against a team sponsored by Coca Cola? What if somebody works for Allianz? No games against Sarazens allowed?

I've stated before that the set-up of the WRA has its flaws (in the civil war discussion, where some said I was a DRV-troll for pointing this out), but a disqualification of a qualified team from a brand new market, is the most stupid thing you can do.


Especially when if you suggested that the 4 IRFU owned teams or the two SRU teams colluded to improve each others chances of qualification you'd be laughed out of town. Its the same situation and unless they want to dive into the hornets nest of whether union-owned franchises can ever truly compete independently of each other it seems wildly unfair to only sanction others.

Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 May 2018, 11:15

Blurandski wrote:For what it's worth I believe that the Montpellier owner couldn't buy Gloucester due to conflict of interest.


And I couldn't buy Gloucester due to conflict with my bank account. Apples and oranges.

Wild never bought the HRK. It is a club under German law (e.V. = registered club) , therefore "owned" by every single member since its foundation 1872.
A totally different setup than Montpellier/ Gloucester.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:08

As i mentoned in another Forum , this coup will not withstand any courttrial ! This will only cost money and a complete lost of time and resources and a loss of reputation of european club rugby!
In that case they fight with the wrong party ! Money will not be an argument for Mr.Wild to challenge that in any court europewide

User avatar
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed, 25 May 2016, 20:15
Location: Timisoara
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby luca tim » Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:58

It is a total nonsense, but it needs to be clarified. The same wrong thinking might apply to Timisoara and Saracens, though I don't think they will play any time soon in the same competition. But it might apply to Timisoara and Lelo Saracens or Moscow Saracens, should they find themselves in the same european competition and that would be stupid!

Posts: 2393
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:12

luca tim wrote:It is a total nonsense, but it needs to be clarified. The same wrong thinking might apply to Timisoara and Saracens, though I don't think they will play any time soon in the same competition. But it might apply to Timisoara and Lelo Saracens or Moscow Saracens, should they find themselves in the same european competition and that would be stupid!


I tend to totally forget that Timisoara is affiliated with the Saracens.
That would be a heck of a story. Exclude a German member's club and bring in a club affiliated with an English club :lol:

Not as funny as one stakeholder having 4 teams from 2 different countries in the same competition without a problem like the Irish Union.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gambass, SallesNeto_BR, suofficer and 18 guests